Indie horror thread

Indie horror thread

Just found this in my collection, worth a watch but not the best ever. Some solid tension, but some things just didn't make sense. I feel like they were only included to muddy the ending even more.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96zo7SHYACs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not really in the mood for synopses so I'm just gonna list a few indie-ish movie I think are worth checking out

>I Can See You
>Across the River
>A Field In England
>The Borderlands/Final Prayer
>Amer
>The Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears
>Cowards Bend The Knee (or the Blue Hand)
>Brand Upon the Brain
>Whisperer in the Darkness
>Dark Was the Night
>The Booth (japanese movie, can be found on YouTube)
>Keeper of the Beast (Custodes Bestiae, can only be found in Italian)
>Resolution

As far as I'm concerned, these are all pretty great

I saw that film because it was hyped for a while in Cred Forums and it also had a decent imdb score.

Turns out it was the devs marketing the film and giving the good reviews at the site. It was a piece of shit..

Bad acting, shit cliched plot, bad sound in some parts (come on, srsly who gets bad sound nowadays? Its the most amateurish of fails) and weird colors some times because of the shit LUTs they applied at color correcting the film shot with the shitty DSLR.

Dont ever watch it

I was almost tempted. Thanks for giving me a better perspective.

>recognize title
>no memory of plot
>check my ratings

1/10

She has some nice tits and the cold open is pretty good/interesting. Goldust is alright in it. That's really it.

Everybody is a filmmaker nowadays.

Are you telling me WWE is still trying to push actor careers for its stars? Man, I thought that died around the time nu metal became uncool

He's talking about color grading and look up tables, nigga must have been to film school...

Shit wouldn't make a lick of sense to anyone who hasn't dabbled in it. Would you tell your friend a movie was shit because it used LUTs?

They do, but only in "WWE Films" - ones they produce themselves. With the exception being Cena, who gets to do whatever he wants.

I actually don't think Goldust was back in the WWE when this was filmed.

I've been in the production of some short films, not big stuff but we never had bad sound or those problems with the colors, even filming with my mirrorless cam.

They (the production of Meet Me There) had the opportunity to do a feature though they were far from proffesionals and they blew it. All the problems could have been forgiven if the plot was not shit but its a turd.

I didnt go to film school, Im learning by myself

Shit, I have to look them up. I get a feeling they might be fairly hilarious - thanks for the info mate.

A part of me wants them to be half-decent like See No Evil though

Have something online you might want to share? Just out of curiosity, I like to see how nil-budget stuff gets created

Only ironically..

I've used them with Magic lanter on my Canon 5d

Sorry if my post is off topic but I feel like you guys can answer my question. Does anyone remember that one jap thriller, where a teacher kills a fuckton of his students with a double barreled shotgun? The point was that the students were so sheep-like that they haven't even tried to run away or anything, letting him blow them away one after the other (seen that scene in a webm thread).

I'm on a binge for japanese thrillers and would like to watch this after doing Suicide Club. So, can anyone recall the name please?

Dunno about it, but if you liked Suicide Club check out

Bullet Ballet/A Snake of June/Tokyo Fist

Battle Royale (but I assume you have seen it already)

The Booth

Occult

Apartment 1303

Marebito
Best of luck on your quest user

Fellow tsukamoto user, hello my friend. :)

Thank you tons friend. Will definitely look at all of your suggestions. By the way, the movie is called Lessons of Evil.

>Have something online you might want to share? Just out of curiosity, I like to see how nil-budget stuff gets created

Not right now sorry. We have some shorts but they're going to be shown at local fests so they're not online atm. But they're not very good neither at least story-wise. The writer/director/exec producer is as creative as a sock but he funds it so... That's how it goes.

Hello to you too, mate. You seen Nobi yet? A friend of mine bought the blue-ray but it's in Japanese, been trying to find another release without luck.

I'll look the movie up, didn't know about it but sounds fun - I miss the real Japanese edginess of the seventies, this might just do it. Hope you like my recs.

Yeah, I know the deal with festivals. Pisses me off a bit to be honest, I know plenty of film makers who'd like to put their films online but don't do it because they want to be screened and get exposure - and then lose out on the exposure being available for everybody would bring them. What do you think about it?

I liked Houses that October Built.

Good tension and creepy.

>You seen Nobi yet?
No, I wish. I can't find it anywhere.

If I manage to find a working link I'll spam it on here for a while.

I'm actually going to a university with a teacher who's a close friend of Tsukamoto himself - and I mean, go to his house and see his master copy only early shorts kind of friends. He writes intros for all her books. She's starting to teach a amster in film making this year.

I was thinking about enrolling desu.

I haven't seen all that much of Japanese cinema (apart from the classical samurai movies like Yojimbo), but I've got the feeling that I'm going to have a nice evening. Dl/ing all your recommendations friend.

Since you seem so knowledgeable, can you recommend some horror movies like the first Paranormal Activity (with the original ending)? I.e. a bleak movie with a depressing ending and a minimum jumpscares.

I went to the cinema with my ex to watch The Conjuring 2, and while it was a beautiful, well acted movie, I just couldn't get over the constant jumpscares. I want to be creeped out and psychologically destroyed, not just have the movie scream at me every 5 minutes.

I'd jump all over that. Dude is one of my favorite directors ever, that's an incredible opportunity. Might be able to swindle a meeting with the guy.

Well, I've posted a list at the start of the thread - More or less all the movies on there are worth watching and answer your criteria, though i think you might enjoy these in particular:

>Across the River
Italian movie (shot about 80 miles from where I'm writing now actually), very well directed and atmospheric. It downplays the scary bits and it betters the film enormously, no jumpscares but a constant anxiety.

>The Borderlands
The best found footage to come out after The Blair Witch Project, period. Won't tell you much but really, watch it first. It's one of the best horror of the last fifteen years at least.

>The Booth
Japanese psychological thriller/horror, you can find it here youtube.com/watch?v=96zo7SHYACs

It's probably the only film of his kind to unsettle me, short and concise, deserves to be seen.

Coincidentally, I just downloaded the Conjuring 2 for tonight, want to watch it with the gf - we know it'll probably suck, but I just feel like watching it after seeing that painting image online.

Yeah, was thinking the same. He comes here (Venice, btw) fairly often for festivals and whatnot. On a related note, last year I've watched a short film festival and, after going out, a friend of mine told me we were like three seats away from the director of Ju-On. He was presenting his new short film apparently, though you needed to shell out 50 bucks to see it. Cool shit.

Side note, not trying to brag about close calls with directors - half of the time I'm drunk enough to bump into them and topple them over. It's just cool to see them, understand on an empirical basis that they exist as people.

I'd give a couch to any well mannered, decent user in the city for a few nights if it were to happen, too. You have a friend here, if you ever happen to come by.

Yes. I think the same, sometimes its ridiculous. One of the shorts was film a goddamm year ago and the director wanted to wait to try to get it into a "big" festival thinking his short is the second coming of Christ. And now everyone is demotivated, we could have put it in vimeo and with and online premiere in NoBudge 8 months ago but he's just being a dick around it.

Yeah, that must suck - I mean, if you're part of the technical staff you'd probably like to use it as a reference/reel material right?

Fuck directors and their egos.

Hey guys! What were the best indie horror films of the year so far?
I really enjoyed the big three (Neon Demon, Witch, Green Room) but I'm so out of touch with horror movies nowadays that I don't even know where to look anymore. Bloody-Disgusting is just such a shitty shill-site..

So.. this year's best horror films and horror film websites to get back in touch?

Alright, thank you immensely for your time and effort. You've given me tons of entertainment for the week. Have a wonderful day, friend.

Here's a neat little film I saw yesterday. It's about a group of isolated archaelogists on a dig out in a frozen wasteland of an area. I don't want to get into the horror aspects as it'd be a lot better going into it blind, but it's definitely a cool movie and I recommend it.

Tried to watch it but, English not being my first language, I was a bit lost with their gravel-ly voices. Is there any subtitle floating around?

Hope you like them mate - if you do, post about them and let other people know. Gotta share the good stuff, right?

Don't be confused by the cover, it's not a Saw type movie.
It's about a guy who finds his old best friend (now a wacky crack addict) squatting in a cabin in the woods so he chains him to the wall for a week to get him sober. Things get weird from there.

Absolutely reccing this, saw it described on here as more lo-fi Cabin In The Woods - not really the best comparison, really, but it's a bit meta and the protagonists are superbly written. I think it's maybe the only example of "mumblecore" horror I can think of

Im going to shoot my next project as a director to avoid all of this.

Sounds good. Will check

This one from 2006 is creepy as fuck

That's right. I'll even be recommending them to my friends, because you just gotta share good movies.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I'm from the Czech Republic, and one of the greatest horror movies made here is called Spalovač Mrtvol (The Cremator). It was made in 1968, starring Rudolf Hrušínský (one of the best Czech actors ever), and it is a gloriously messed up movie with an amazing ending.

I believe the IMDB description summs it up best: "Follows a demented cremator during the brink of WWII, who believes cremation relieves earthly suffering and sets out to save the world."

Is The Borderlands a jumpscare movie?
A few well placed ones won't put me off but movies that use them as a crux of the action will.
Please answer, I've a hankering to chuck t on right now.

Checked the Wikipedia of the film. It clearly was made by the team because its says it was received critical acclaim.

Then you can see the director and the writer defending the film in the imdb forum. Its hilarious.

It's not a jumpscare movie in the slightest, go right ahead and watch it, you wom't regret it.

Added it to my download queue, thanks for the heads up. Any other Czech stuff you'd like to rec?

It's kinda difficult with Czech movies. We haven't made many horror movies, so there is even less of truly "recommendable" films if you get me. However, there was one movie I would truly recommend and that is this years Polednice.

It's a modern take on an old slavic folktale (Noonday Witch), that begins as a horror movie and switches to a psychological thriller. The movie gets really tense and almost stuffy, so even though there were some things I haven't liked I can still recommend it on the atmosphere alone.

Watched Observance recently, which is one of those films I had to sit down afterwards and think whether I actually liked it or not. In the end I decided I did.

It manages to build up a good atmosphere around it, which I think is probably the films greatest strength. Unfortunately the narrative itself is a little weak. But I get the feeling it's a film you might enjoy more with repeat viewings.

The score is pretty awesome though, a lot of scenes in it manage to make the Sea look fucking terrifying.

Can anyone help me find the title of a recent indie horror film? I had lost it on a HD failure a while back...

It's about this couple that spends a weekend in a cabin in the woods, and the wife goes into a fugue state in the middle of the night.

Don't recall too much else besides it being a relatively recent release(2008 onward).

Sounds like Honeymoon, which wasn't too bad. Had a pretty horrific scene towards the end of it that really got to me.

Lesson of Evil by Takashi Miike

That's the one, thanks.

I really liked Honeymoon. Harry Treadaway became one of my favorite actors after seeing that movie. His chemistry with the main character chick was really convincing too.

Why does this font make me instantly check out a film?
Pic related was pretty meh btw

Very interesting premise... Will check this one out