Best Ripley: Aliens
Best android: Aliens
Best Alien: Alien

Also, this

So which one is better?

Aliens

Watch both

>Best director: Alien

But I just did, that's why I'm asking your opinions.

best film: alien
best flick: aliens

if you think aliens is better than alien get your brain checked

Both are great in their own ways

the two movies are very similar to terminator and terminator 2 imo.
one set the stage and the second was a big budget blockbuster.
i prefer the sequels in both cases but thats just me.

Sure, but Alien is better.

Alien 3 is the best

Alien = patrician
Aliens = Reddit

Is there a problem?

Alien
>Xenomorph is an unstoppable nightmare-inducing killing machine

Aliens
>Xenomorphs are just oversized bugs who anyone with a gun can kill
>Quips every 5 minutes

I-is he kil while fap?

Alien is better but Aliens is more rewatchable.

Debate me.

Don't you have another shitty script to adapt?

This all day long. That's why amerifats love the sequel.

>Aliens is more rewatchable

If you're 12 or less

>anyone

Or highly skilled marines as opposed to clueless blue collar workers

Yeah I hated how they reduced the Xeno power level in Aliens. But I guess there was no other way to do that movie.

jesus christ she has the body type of gumby!

also its a tie. obviously. theyre both god tier.

Fuck you.

Hudson was based.

they didnt nerf the xenomorphs in aliens. they were just everywhere so they actually could fight them. in alien it was only one of them and the whole movie was practically hide and seek. theyre both great movies and trying to split them up is dumb as fuck.

besides we all know avp requiem is the best.. right?

>reduced power level

This isn't a video game you beta cuck faggot. The xenos appear weaker in Aliens because there were no guns in Alien.

The Thing is the true alien kino.

Don't fucking call me names like I'm some submissive boy toy.

And nu-uh you're wrong. It's canon that the Xeno can't be killed by ordinary bullets. Aliens isn't even canon. Only Alien, Prometheus and Alien Isolation are canon in the universe. You fucking wrong asshole.

can we all agree that the hate for Alien 3 is an exageration?

it wasn't that bad

Or Ripley with a gun, that she learned to fire about 20 minutes ago.

thank you.

its not like they changed or some shit. the difference is the first movie group was like scientists and shit and in the sequel they were tangoing with marines.

>besides we all know avp requiem is the best.. right?
As good as Jason X

It's shit, it has aged terribly.

Fuck off. Ripley took out like twenty Xenos on her own in that movie, with just a gun.

the first two were so good that it couldnt possibly live up to the hype. i mean as a stand alone movie its mediocre, and when compared to the first two its a rotting corpse on the family tree. but yeah its not that bad. it just kinda sucks compared to what preceded it.

3 isn't canon by the way

Aliens literally takes every beat from Alien and just says MORE there was hardly and original thought in the entire movie. It's Michael Bay before there was Michael Bay. Anybody who thinks Aliens is better just outs themselves as the shut your brain off film viewer.

>let's take that super spooky monster from that movie, ok? now make it x100, ok? does that sound spooky? you think someone can survive that? no? well, there are guns in this movie, and these can kill all these aliens lol :)

why would you put THE monster in your movie if you can easily kill it with a gun?

>just a gun

That's like saying a guy with an assault rifle with explosive rounds took out twenty lions with just a gun. Well of fucking course! What do you expect?

hust like True Detective season 2

>ordinary bullets

Those were explosive rounds dipshit. You obviously don't know your shit.

Alien Covenant will catapult this franchise into the stratosphere.

t. my dad works at Nintendo

holy shit dude dont even mention that shit. that series is deader than arnold palmer.

I love both movies, but aliens is a better movie in my opinion.

Aliens is actually my favorite movie, let me refute some points made in this thread

>xenomorphs were nerfed
They weren't at all, the crew in alien were not marines, it makes complete sense for the marines to be able to kill a lot more, especially since there were a lot more of them to shoot at, ultimately they were still decimated.

>it's 'cheesy'
Aliens helped pioneer it's genre (much like alien) Anything that you find corny, or shlock, was stuff that this movie invented. This movie had a lot of subtle and complex themes, and over all was deeper than Alien, despite the atmospheres of the respective movies.

Xeno has bullet proof harness, faggot. It's not vulnerable to gunfire. It and flame only scare it away. It must be killed through other means like blade weapons, see AvP.

>that scene at the end of Aliens with the female voice saying only 4 minutes remaining until autodestruction (just like Alien, get it?) whil Ripley shoots 25 xenos with a 12 years old kids in her arms
Why is Cameron always going full retard

guys...
look at this.
look at this and tell me this isn't reddit as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=DnOIvn8hMS4

Aliens.

alien .. aliens was garbage

>lot of subtle and complex themes
Name 5 subtle and complex themes

RIPLEY IS NOT A MARINE AND KILLED TWENTY XENOS WHILE CARRYING A CHILD

FUCK ALIENS

good point. i like them both but that premise is kinda shit.

oh shit. theres gonna be trouble.

3 > 2.

I cannoned your mum's fat cunt

Source pls

Alien > Alien Isolation > Aliens > Prometheus > living in India > Alien 3

wrong.

Alien > aliens > promethius > everything else

> works at Nintendo
Sucking cocks

>xenomorphs WEREN'T nerfed

I'm honestly surprised how fucking stupid people in this thread are.

In Alien the xeno was this oppressive unstoppable force like an Alien Jason or Michael Meyers that just kept coming back.

Writing them into hundreds of mooks to be blown to smithereens by the marines is "nerfing" the Xeno because of what the initial understanding was.

You can't use canon that Cameron made to justify the canon that Cameron made.

Forgetting about me?

>Aliens is my favorite movie
lol at this whole post

embarrassing

WREKKD

You're super wrong, Aliens is a VERY different movie from Alien, and intentionally so, Cameron saw alien and wanted to make a fitting sequel WITHOUT doing a re-tread.

And it fucking succeeds on every level, if you don't like action movies that's fine, but I think that you didn't comprehend the genre change, or the metaphors that Aliens had. Over all, you probably just watched the movie on a very shallow level without trying to explore what it was presenting.

TL;DR: you missed the point of the movie, and ironically outs you as
> the shut your brain off film viewer.

>Aliens
>Subtle
>Complex

Fucking kekd m8.

cuz it always took battles 1v1 and the human fighting it had shit for weapons. it never got put to the test. toughest thing the xeno went up against in alien was a knife.

can't wait to have this same thread again in the future with the same replies

Ripley lost her daughter because of the events of Alien. Destroying the eggs in front of the Queen was her revenge.

When they had this random set up scene I just thought to myself
>She's going to use it to kill the big bad isn't she
yup

The Nostromo crew is better though
>based parker and brett

The Xenomorph Warrior is equipped to be the perfect killing machine. It possesses an exoskeleton much like that of a lobster, impenetrable to everything but the most powerful human firearms (12-gauge shotguns, Pulse Rifles, and stanchion launchers are quite effective). Ash claims the creature's skin is made from 'protein polysaccharides', so this would imply a substance similar to chitin. He also says the creature replaces its surface cells with polarized silicone, which is a very inert, heat resistant, and flexible polymer.

for good reason.

kek

>Cameron saw alien and wanted to make a fitting sequel WITHOUT doing a re-tread.

Well he fucking failed because every plot point throughout the movie has a direct parallel to Alien only made more bombastic because ACTION.

There didn't need to be a sequel at all.

thats not what we have a problem with. the fact that she is strong enough to destroy them is the problem. the xenomorphs went from being god mode to being slaughtered by an old woman carrying a kid. its bullshit

Next you're going to tell me the character of Newt being nearly 11 and acting like a new daughter to Ripley was subtle aswell.

absolutely based

>impenetrable to everything but the most powerful human firearms (12-gauge shotguns, Pulse Rifles, and stanchion launchers are quite effective)
>Pulse Rifles

Well guess what they used in Aliens.

And still... source pls. You just posted two lines of text. That's not a source. Give me your source. Where did you copy that from?

Again the point is that Cameron makes the xenomorph look weak because of what he does. He removes the mystery.

Going back to the Michael Meyers example. Yeah a squad of Marines could take out Michael but it would cheapen the character to just let these marines stomp the shit out of this mythical figure. Aliens takes what was once a mythical and terrifying figure and turns it into the equivalent of zombies in video games.

Cheapen is a better word than nerf.

see this is what annoys me. yeah alien is better than aliens. but theyre both entertaining. arent you glad there was a sequel? youve gotta be a real film snob to be upset they made aliens. it may not be as good but its still a fun watch. they shouldve stopped there but still.

Uhm, you act like Ripley took them on in hand to hand combat. She was armed with two very effective and deadly weapons. What difference does it make whether a woman or a male soldier pulls the trigger? The target gets destroyed all the same.

This. With Prometheus as the proper sci-fi film (although not nearly as good), it's a rare franchise where they actually do something different each time.

I see people say that everything after Alien is shit, and while I completely understand why someone might be disappointed if they expected the sequels to be similar, I quite like that they're used to explore the basic idea in different genres.

I somehow liked the characters. This guy, or the black dude, or the cocky captain.

The bullshit part isn't so much that Xeno can die from explosive rounds, it's that they nerfed the Xenos intelligence.

The Xeno in Alien was stealthy as fuck and using the environment to fuck shit up.

The ones in a Aliens are dumb as fuck bugs who literally form an orderly queue to get shot.

It's so dumb. A real Xeno would have pierced through Ripley's heart from above her in a flash.

Of course I'm ignoring 3 and 4, but still

GUYS GUYS THIS MAY BE A LITTLE TOO SUBTLE FOR YOU BUT STAY WITH ME

What if Bishop was a nice robot to contrast with the savagery of man. I'm blowing my own mind right now Cameron is GOAT.

>He removes the mystery.

totally respect this comment. but im not saying aliens is better. alien is totally superior. but i like them both. im not stuck up enough to say i hate aliens. i like both. but of course alien is better.

Alien wiki, Google it.

>Best Alien: Alien

really made me think

What's even your point? You said they were bullet proof but the exact gun used in Aliens is listed as being effective against them. You lost the argument moron. Move on.

>not stuck up enough to say i hate aliens
god, you're a faggot
what the fuck does being stuck up have to do with disliking a garbage film? Holy shit ..

Alien: 3
Aliens: 4

Somehow gives aliens the W

This nigga serious

i didnt have a problem with the marines killing them. even the chick marine. i dont care. but a civilian woman carrying a kid is suddenly strong enough to dual wield weapons? suddenly shes based killing machine? ...no way

I didn't lose shit.

Actually when giving those bulletpoints, I'd give everything to Alien.

Ripley had a machine gun in Aliens,
It's stated from Alien that they are hive creatures, it makes complete sense that if people with machine guns and explosive rounds finds said hive that they would fuck it up. Which is what happened, in a tiny compact space, with a crew who isn't trained to deal with aliens, it makes sense that it was as formidible as it was in Alien. If you took any one of the aliens getting blasted to smithereens from Aliens and put it in the ship from Alien, it would've been the same movie, they are just as powerful as each other.

>the loss of innocence of newt (her entire conversation with Ripley on the bed about how monsters are in fact real, is some of my favorite dialog, and is very well written)
>the folly of man and over confidence is represented by the marines gung-ho attitude, only to immediately turn into terror when they realize what they're fighting.
>Ripley learning to trust androids and the surreal idea that salvation will come from places that you don't expect/trust

There's a lot of shit going on in this movie to appreciate

Look, just because you faggots see explosions and action doesn't mean it's not a valid film, It's not an atmospheric horror film, it's harder to express it's message because it's not laden with silence and suspense.

What's your favorite movie? didn't think so.

even the marines were lame as fuck

jesus, i forgot how horrible this movie is. Honestly it would have been better off not even being made. The whole appeal of Alien was destroyed with these garbage sequels.

People who say Alien is better than Aliens have some growing up to do. They are probably in that age where you have to hate on something because of some idiotic reason. Like you can't take an action movie as serious as a horror movie. (lol)

Once you grow up you stop worrying about such views and start perceiving Aliens as the better movie in every way.

Alien is a fine little movie with some very neat parts but Aliens is a masterpiece.

I don't like what it did to the lore of the first film. Cameron could have made a completely unrelated film with his own aliens. There is literally nothing that needs to connect Alien to Aliens. Alien was an enigmatic mystery. It makes me feel alone and scared. Aliens shits all over that for HOO-RAH. And because of its success the rest of the franchise spun out of Aliens which I think ruined it.

I don't deny it's a competently made movie or even that it's not a GOOD movie. I just think it's a really poor addition to the Alien mythos because it does nothing but damage it. I feel like a proper sequel should have expanded upon it (Like Alien: Isolation). Aliens is a poor sequels because it replaces Alien. It overwrites everything and sets a new standard invalidating Alien.

>no

>what is adrenaline

you know exactly what i mean and youre mad cuz you know youre a bitch. people say decent movies are bad all the fucking time to pretend theyre movie snobs and too good to enjoy something that is good. even if it isnt great its not fucking horrible. tell me more about things youre too good for so i can see how awesome and smart you are.

>What's your favorite movie? didn't think so.
Eyes Wide Shut
what's your point, faggot?

0 of those are suble or complex, they're just general themes.

shut up reddit, alien is better

This one.

i genuinely wanted it to end

>Asked for 5 subtle
>Names 3 themes that you're literally dickslapped with and would have to be legally retarded to miss

They're both great, and you're just as dumb as the people you're describing

Ranking good movies is stupid

>S-STOP DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE
lol you're fucking retarded .. it's garbage my man, stop crying and get over it

Alien
>sublimely beautiful sets
>a realistic vision of the future
>terror

Aliens
>pew pew

Gonna have to give it to Alien.

great point dude. at least what youre saying isnt stupid. alien created an incredible atmosphere that was indeed wrecked by aliens. it turned an enigmatic thriller into an all out mainstream action flick. but ya know what. i can still appreciate alien after seeing aliens. in fact im glad i got to go for the ride and watch the series evolve. i got to see two great films and one doesnt negate the greatness of the other. dont let aliens ruin alien for you, just appreciate the reality that things change.

Action movies are the shit. Die Hard and Big Trouble in Little China are two of my favorite movies of all time.

I'll just never not be disappointed in Aliens for butchering the mythos. Honestly if you love Alien I don't see how you can't be disappointed about a sequel that does nothing but shit all over everything that was established in the first.

so when you get amped up youre a marine?

sure thing dude.

T2 > Aliens

If those are not subtle or complex, then nothing in Alien was either, argument invalid.

subtle and complex are general terms, you see.

oh cool you gave me a chance to do it
>Eyes wide shut
Absolutely fucking embarrassing kill yourself retard.

(my point is that having a favorite movie is again a subjective thing, and that there is no right answer, and you added nothing to the conversation with your inane quip.)

by the way, delete your tripcode you absolute autist.

>greentexts to try to seem witty

get over yourself dickhead. alien is better but aliens aint bad. facts.

Which one is better?

Keep in mind that your answer determines whether or not you have patrician taste.

>asked for 5 subtle
I gave you three to show you that they were there, I don't give a shit about the arbitrary number you threw out also see

>Everyone just argues about whether the Xenomorph was ruined
>Nobody even bringing up other aspects that Alien BTFO of Aliens

Just the way Alien was filmed was fucking beautiful it's like an art piece. Scenes like Dallas with Mother are more well crafted and thought out than anything in Aliens. Even if you accept Aliens as a good action movie Alien is just a straight up higher art form.

Alien felt like it was shot with purpose. Aliens felt like it was shot for mass appeal.

>canon stuff
Seriously? Source?

First one has better acting and music, duh.

user, if a movie has one scene or more entirely dedicated to hammering a point to you, then it can NOT be subtle.

truth is i prefer terminator to t2. its an easily superior movie. but t2 is an unquestionably great action movie. just like with alien series. i prefer the first but i like the second one too.

There were zero scenes dedicated to hammering these points in, all of those scenes primary purpose was to move the plot forward.

>knows i'm right
>gets upset
lol calm down, hothead

It's the same as Alien vs Aliens. T1 is a better movie but T2 is a great action film.

>The Thing
>aged terrible
CG baby confirmed. Bet you loved the prequel, faggot.

I still love Alien and it's possibly my favorite film of all time. So I definitely didn't let Aliens ruin it for me and I can still watch Aliens and enjoy it.

I think it's more of a "this is what could have been" thing for me. Alien is so interesting I want to preserve the mystery around it but even if I try to look away Aliens is always going to be there dangling its balls in my face making monkey sounds.

This is the difference between an atmospheric horror movie and an action movie.

You know the answer, don't play dumb.

just watched T2 again last night, and Terminator is without a doubt the superior film

>If those are not subtle or complex, then nothing in Alien was either, argument invalid.

Everything about Mother and every interaction with it is more subtle, complex and symbolic than anything in Aliens and that's with literally being nicknamed Mother.

I prefer Terminator much for the same reasons as I prefer Alien. Terminator sets up a fascinating grimy mythos and T2 just turns it into something you don't really take seriously anymore.

I won't argue with someone who says T2 is the better film but I have my preference.

You can download Alien: Workprint Version (FAN-EDIT) from here:
dropbox.com/home/Film?preview=alien workprint.mp4

Contains different intro music plus extra 25 minutes of cut footage re-inserted into the film.
Enjoy!

Cool, our opinions are different, what a weird thing to happen on the internet.

Addition: For serious Alien fans only.

hey guys. whats going on in this thread?

hes right tho. youre wrong dude.

Correct taste.

Idk I think it's unfair to bring genre into this and give free passes.

Die Hard is an example of a beautifully shot, well thought out and complex action film and 90% of horror movies are cheap, lazily done with zero though.

Aliens could have been made an action movie without butchering the original if the writer cared.

is not really hard you just pull the trigger and things in front of you die, even fucking aliens

I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back, and I'm going to say that if you prefer Aliens over Alien you're either a full blown pleb or it's been a long while since you've seen the films, let alone the discussions about the xenos.

I'm always kinda shaky on fan projects that edit the film. Especially one that's such a complete package like Alien. Why the new music and what footage does it put back in? I'm assuming the crew in the cocoons obviously but there's gotta be more.

What about having a child in one arm, a battle rifle in the other, and 20 aliens jumping from everywhere and killing them all nonetheless?

i watched the first 10 minutes of alien a couple months ago. and just the first 10 minutes of alien is better than aliens. and thats coming from someone who doesnt hate aliens.

>it's 'cheesy'
>Aliens helped pioneer it's genre (much like alien) Anything that you find corny, or shlock, was stuff that this movie invented.

I feel like that's kind of a shitty pass to give it. Alien holds up way better than Aliens does. And I think this is largely because everything Cameron wrote was so basic. You excuse it because it creates these tropes but that doesn't make them good ones.

Extended sequence where kane is first out of hypersleep, he talks to himself while making coffee.
Extended death sequence of Lambert and Parker.
Extended scene when away crew leave explorer ship when they touchdown on LV-426
Plus much more..

because you only need one finger to pull the trigger.

Alien by a mile

Alien, no question. Aliens is a meme film with quips, directed by an idiot who ruined a horror franchise forever.

But I liked Aliens, really good 80's action movie.
But it doesn't hold a fair comparison to Alien.
And I can't say I'm nostalgia biased because it was the first time I watched them both.

You're hugely mistaken if you think the average woman could pick up an assault rifle with explosive rounds and use it competently let alone hold off a small army of hyper intelligent beings made to be the perfect predator WHILE holding a child in the other arm. Just firing that gun one handed by itself would have got her killed.

Have you tried aiming multiples moving target with a big rifle, when you first shot a gun literally a couple hours ago?

well she is no an avarage woman, she is ripley, she killed dozens of aliens with a child in one hand and a assault rifle in the other

the post that proves youre an idiot. you just posted it.

The point is that she is an unexpected hero, like obviously so, it might not be realistic but it's a fucking action movie, and it's not too far-fetched to really have that many qualms, it's unlikely but it is feasible considering the rules of their universe.

I liked when Kyle Reese stole the pants of a homeless man and catched crabs.

everyones point is alien is better because it never forced you to make excuses for it. you never had to say well "its a fucking action movie". the whole thing was plausible and had a brilliant atmosphere. not saying i hate aliens just saying alien is better.

He's probably already immune to crabs. He comes from the future and shit.

I don't know but why is nobody discussing the bonus situation?

At first I disliked Prometheus but admired several things in it, then I watched Alien and realised everything that was good in Prometheus was in Alien first.

Well maybe this board is salvageable after all

Alien = Film
Aliens = Kino
Alien 3 = Movie
Alien Resurrection = Flick

Reminder that HG Giger doesn't like Aliens.

just watched these.
are 3 and 4 very bad?

and which xeno-creation is canon? AvP or Prometheus?

Alien, but that's mainly because I prefer horror over action.

Alien is the landmark film. Aliens is the better film.

It's a little bit of a Mad Max 2 / Fury Road situation where the newer film expanded upon the first and did everything that the first film did but better to the point where the original is still great, it's just outclassed. (I'm sure going to take some flack for that comparison)

Alien is a slasher film with some groundbreaking designs set in space. Aliens when it came out was widely criticized because it was hard to sit through because the whole movie was a 2 hour long nightmare roller-coaster that had people running out of the theater because it was too much. Alien is a slow burn horror, Aliens deals in terror and dread. The Xeno in the original movie was pretty static and all we ever saw was it drop down from the ceiling once, throw its hands out in an air duct, and then stand around and wave its arms awkwardly, a bit of the jaws effect where we never saw the full creature, which worked, but wasn't quite as freaky as what was going on in aliens.

In Aliens we got to see just how deadly these things can be, they pop out of walls, hurdle down hallways, climb through the ceiling, we see them as really fast merciless killing machines and despite killing a lot of them there were always more making it even more terrifying because while you have a gun, it ends up being pretty useless. Also the Queen is one of the most incredible designs in cinema. They could have easily fucked that up and made a much worse looking xenomorph, but the queen is just as good looking as the original and because it never looks like a dude in a suit it feels much more alien.

What's the bonus situation like?

Alien by a landslide

>all these idiots trying to hedge their bets
Alien is objectively the better movie. Everyone knows it, just admit it.

alien you pleb

Alien, better in every regard

Alien, because it jacked up its suspense level so high, it's one of the scariest movies ever. The first Alien leaves me a nervous wreck every time.

I still can't believe that face appeared on national tv.

magnoliclothiers.com/nostromo-crew-jacket-casual-p-444.html
would you?

>$500
They're not fucking around are they?

Alien because Ripley is way more qt in the first one :3

>all these morons comparing an action movie to a horror movie
They're both one of the top in their genre, but you dont compare Nightmare on Elm Street to Commando