Cosmos

Did Cred Forums enjoy this, or are you triggered by science?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.com/people/article/0,,20795780,00.html
time.com/27330/cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-interview/
abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2014/03/neil-degrasse-tyson-on-being-a-nerd-sex-symbol/
hollywoodlife.com/2014/03/10/cosmos-premiere-president-obama-introduction-video-celebs-react/
popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/peoples-sexiest-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson-to-speak-at-winspear-in-may.html/
thewire.com/culture/2014/03/neil-degrasse-tyson-makes-us-feel-inadequate-weeks-cosmos/359458/
news.umanitoba.ca/neil-degrasse-tyson-pluto-killer-and-sexy-astronomer-coming-to-winnipeg/
unfollowingjesus.com/pictures/neil-degrasse-tyson-is-officially-the-sexiest-astrophysicist-alive-stephen-hawking-unimpressed/
treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/worlds-sexiest-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson-in-peta-ad-video.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's awesome, especially the episode "Some of the Things Molecules Do"

Fuck yeah, evolutionary biology is best biology and the way it was presented was really graspable for the not so intelligent among us, good choice.

The original 1980 series with Carl Sagan was amazing; "a watershed moment in the history of television".
The 2014 series was also quite good, as both the science and the manner of its presentation were updated.

fuck science

This show was shit.

The original Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is one of my favorite shows of all time though. It actually had cohesive themes and narrative.

Read every Sagan book and really enjoyed the original Cosmos tv show, great stuff, haven't watched the new one though.

It felt like a science show for 14 year olds. They overused gimmicky analogies and silly effects so much that it felt obnoxious and dumbed down. Brian Cox > Black science man

The new one pretty much just updates the original with the lates advances in the relevant fields.

I'm really not a fan of the whole "ship of the imagination" thing, but I understand that your average viewer needs some sort of frame of reference for a lot of the particle/theoretical physics topics.

What other contemporary astrophysics/astrology documentaries are there? I don't mind Dr Brian Cox, but I can't help but feel that most of his shows exist just for him to use the BBCs travel allowance.

It was good, but it was so basic. People who didn't already know at least 90% of what was presented are idiots and should be deported.

it's tv, you want real science? read a book

The original was much better written, but then Sagan isn't an easy act to follow.

But I never said I wanted real science, and I literally just gave an example of a show I think is better than Cosmos.

oh sorry, Brian Cox is a faggot

Tried too hard too pander to millennial edge lords

Apology accepted

It was alright if you're completely new to science and a fun way to get kids into it

Sagan's Cosmos was about the wonders and mysteries of science.

The new one is science self wank. I would almost call it propaganda

is nothing sacred anymore

>Sagan Cosmos
>There are people out there whose religious ideals conflict with what I am teaching. That's okay, though. Although they are wrong, I still treat those old beliefs with respect.

>Tyson Cosmos
>pfffff religion is for retards anyone not following what I say is little more than a caveman.

I enjoyed it, particularly the visuals and narrative aspects. It was good they included information on how the discoveries were made but it would have been improved if they'd focused a little less on that aspect and more on the implications of the science.

The original cosmos was great. One of the best shows ever made.

Nu cosmos is basically a glib excuse to attack religion and bask in the self-professed superiority of their fedora-tipping egos. Science should not have such an agenda as Black Science Man and MacFarlane so blatantly pushed forth. You soon realize the show is less about scientific knowledge and more about indoctrination.

The original is strong in its respect to all things spiritual, and neutral with regards to the science vs religion debate, albeit still in a very scientific manner. On the other hand Nu cosmos is literally r/atheism: the show. And that's not an exaggeration.

It's terrible. Pretty sure the people saying they liked the new cosmos are literally kids who have never even heard of Sagan and have their heads so jammed up their asses they might as well call their ass a fedora.

interdasting at first, got bored of the format of the show and stopped watching after a couple episodes. can they put it all in a single movie or something? maybe get a different actor? no doctor who guys tho i fucking h8 that show.

ah. sums it up pretty well.

>McFarlane Cosmos
ftfy

DUDE
SCIENCE
LMAO

Also black science man is a hack

science is bullshit

i bet you wouldn't say that to bill nye's face.

Felt the same way but most of the public is woefully uneducated when it comes to science so it was great for teaching them. I'm fine with a show missing me as a target if it does something positive with the rest of the population.

Just let yourself get taken on the voyage. Even if you know this shit already, which I do, it's fucking awesome. I love being immersed in the vastness of space and the hypothetical travel through it... wish I could do it for real....minus the likely radiation poisoning.

It's pretty good, but depressing at the same time. The majesty of space doesn't seem to be enough to inspire people these days. The episodes are stuffed full of various animation styles, most being very grandiose and unnecessary. Like a lot of the more recent shows about astronomy and astrophysics, it focuses on the biggest topics first. The intriguing things about the planets, even in our own solar system, are left at the wayside in the pursuit of nonsense hypotheticals like 'what happens at the inside of a black hole?', 'what happened before the big bang?', etc.

These questions are obviously very popular for most people, but the show tries to posit answers here instead of detailing why an answer can't be given. It conflates odd, pseudo-philosophical conjecture with proven facts, which is a dangerous combination for the most part. This is especially odd coming from MacFarlane, whose stance against religion is well-known, as he has essentially spread falsities to the uneducated in the same vein he criticizes organized theocracy for. It's an odd reality when someone who finishes the show can tell you that inside black holes supposedly exist micro-universes, but then haven't a clue what the Kuiper belt is.

There's also idol worship in spades. I understand that the new Cosmos is made in the loving memory of Carl Sagan, but it begins to feel somewhat like a memorial piece played at a funeral rather than an independent production in its own right.

Ultimately, it will appeal to the younger generation and - hopefully - drum up more support for science than what it can elicit naturally. However, it's more historic than it is scientific, and more theoretical than it is factual.

These retarded cartoon segments about religion and stronk womyn were the cringiest shit ever

There's nothing 'majestic' about space. It's a cold, empty place full of fucking nothing and black holes

It covered mostly elementary concepts that I'm already familiar with, but it explained them in such an entertaining way that I knew could be understood by a lot of the unfamiliar masses. Ways that I had never thought to explain them before. For that, I think it's a very important show. I also enjoyed the animated history segments. I found out some details I never knew in those.

It's good but for some reason I'm starting to get tired of this black meme science man

I don't know what it is or why

I used to like him

You can tell the poseurs who never really watched the old one based on their reactions to the new one.

>worshipping science like religion.

No matter how much I might disagree with Sagan views on religion, he's far more poetic than black science man will ever be.

And poesy was the strength of the original cosmos.

The original one was a masterpiece, and Sagan was so fucking brilliant in every single aspect

The new one it's fine, atleast the graphics look nice

>muh carl sagan
Every time...

this is how i felt

it was pandering, not celebrating imagination, hard work and discovery

The best part is these idiots don't realize Neil Tyson was Carl Sagan's pupil since his childhood and busted his ass from living in a ghetto in NYC to be an astrophysicist.

I'm sure none of his critics in this thread have even come close to that kind of dedication to science, and yet we get these armchair analysts repeating "black science man". How very intelligent.

Really? Did you even watch the show? Every episode focused on telling the story of a person who worked their ass off to make the discoveries they did.

Did you forget to take your ritalin?

Why do people write off le black science man as lesser to Carl Sagan when they're literally the same thing?

They're both science popularizes with modest contributions to their fields.

It's more like worshiping the wonders of the universe as a religion, which makes more sense than most religions that I'm aware of.

Science is just a tool for learning about reality.

Because they're miserable contrarian faggots on Cred Forums who can't bring themselves to enjoy things that normal people do out of some sense of undeserved pride or integrity.

I'm triggered by black people

that's an interesting opinion you have
I really don't think I've ever seen it before

Well at least you admit it

well prepared to get triggered more

>Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Happy to Be a Nerd Sex Symbol
people.com/people/article/0,,20795780,00.html

>Neil deGrasse Tyson Makes Science Sexy in Cosmos
time.com/27330/cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-interview/

abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2014/03/neil-degrasse-tyson-on-being-a-nerd-sex-symbol/

>Fans Rave Over ‘Sexy’ Host Neil deGrasse Tyson
hollywoodlife.com/2014/03/10/cosmos-premiere-president-obama-introduction-video-celebs-react/

popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/peoples-sexiest-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson-to-speak-at-winspear-in-may.html/

>what is sexier than Neil deGrasse Tyson talking astronomy
thewire.com/culture/2014/03/neil-degrasse-tyson-makes-us-feel-inadequate-weeks-cosmos/359458/

>Neil deGrasse Tyson, Pluto killer and sexiest astrophysicist, speaks on campus
news.umanitoba.ca/neil-degrasse-tyson-pluto-killer-and-sexy-astronomer-coming-to-winnipeg/

unfollowingjesus.com/pictures/neil-degrasse-tyson-is-officially-the-sexiest-astrophysicist-alive-stephen-hawking-unimpressed/

treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/worlds-sexiest-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson-in-peta-ad-video.html