Someone said this was the comfiest show on Cred Forums the other day. Watched an episode, wasnt dissapointed...

Someone said this was the comfiest show on Cred Forums the other day. Watched an episode, wasnt dissapointed. i watched one ep with shatner. early 70s i think. What are the best seasons in your opinion though? Are the older ones more "golden". Or does it age better? Also /Columbo/

Other urls found in this thread:

columbo-site.freeuk.com/repeat.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=arBEWjZZ9x4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Crime_Syndicate
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Was it the same episode where Walter Koenig appeared as well?

They are all really great. One of the best mystery shows I've ever seen if not the best. You won't be disappointed OP.

I find a lot of old mystery shows to be quite comfy. Poirot, Ellery Queen, Perry Mason, and Granada TVs Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

Fuck me I thought that was me nostalgia-ing and didn't want to break the image I have of it.
I should give it a rewatch.

Also who saw pic related?

I think they're all pretty consistent. I really liked the one where he was on the cruise ship.

It's definitely great, although there are a few episodes that don't really come together. Some of them it's like the writers didn't think things through, and at the end Columbo's "I've got you" moment makes no sense and he has no real evidence against the killer.

Still a wonderful show overall, especially the fish-out-of-water episodes when he's on vacation or something. Those are always a treat

>yfw Mike is being a complete pleb again

This show could not be made today and that is a shame.

My favorite was the one with the deaf chess player.

They would cast some handsome actor who drives a cool car and has a sexy love interest and he would act super charming and cool.

You say that as if we won't get a reboot in less than 5 years.

The twist? It's titled "The Colombos", and his wife is the second main character.

> fast editing
> show is outright comedic
> show is about Columbo rather than the criminals he busts
> no special guest star actors
> NOT 90 MINUTES PER EPISODE

My favorite episode is where he goes up against the Mensa genius.

"Da Vinci's Inquest" was more or less the Canadian answer to Columbo. It's pretty comfy but difficult to find in the US.

Also the chick from Voyager tried to do a Columbo spinoff but no one bought that she was his ex-wife so the show was retooled and then cancelled.

>yfw you remember the spinoff with Captain Janeway

>Columbo's "I've got you" moment makes no sense and he has no real evidence against the killer.

This happens more than you think. Columbo acts on hunches 90% of the time.

My favourite bits is when we see his initial suspicions are wrong, at least hinting that he's just guessing and that it's not just a hidden superpower.

I think Cracker (the british show) comes close to being a modern Columbo. It's not as comfy, it's a lot darker and sleazier, but you see more of the process of hunches, guesswork and manipulations there.

Columbo is up there with Twilight Zone in comfy level for me though. Let's hope they never remake it.

official Cred Forums comfycore

>sopranos
>columbo
>burn notice
>the office
>poirot
>Jeremy Brett sherlock holmes
>perry mason

missing anything?

>at least hinting that he's just guessing and that it's not just a hidden superpower
This makes the show so engaging. I love seeing the investigation progress with Columbo.
> Columbo is up there with Twilight Zone in comfy level for me though
Perfect opinion.

Just Twilight Zone.

Watch Mrs. Columbo next

You got taste user.

Yeah, I've been going through and watching this as well. My favorite so far is the episode with the higher ranking officer who helps his friend cover up the murder. It felt so good watching Columbo pick up on all the pieces of the cover up that were just too perfect.

Slightly newer, but Diagnosis: Murder was a good show as well

The Rockford Files for me is the comfiest.

The others aren't even close.

It's weird how every suspect never tries anything when they get caught. I would think that at least a couple of them would pull out a gun and start running.

70s eps are good, especially first 2 seasons when columbo seems like a character with depth before he gets flanderized. 80s and 90s episodes are a sad parody of themselves but old columbo is adorable

what do you think of maverick senpai? shady deal at sunny acres is still one of my favorite hours of tv

I don't think I've seen it since I was a very little boy. I can still sing the theme though. Will check it out if I can, thanks.

they're always middle class white guys, smart enough to not resist arrest

Just watched that robo episode the other day. pretty cheesy but was great

watch all garner centered episodes, if you like the series watch the jack kelly episodes as well.

very hit or miss, wavers between generic western and genuine genre defining episodes and moments.

And Columbo is always such a pain, part of them is probably just relieved that it's over

I like the episodes where you see that they're glad to be caught, like the Johnny Cash one.

Seasons 1-4 are the best, I think.

Some episodes that come to mind immediately:
S01E07 - Blueprint For Murder
S02E06 - A Stitch In Crime
S04E01 - An Exercise In Fatality
S05E05 - Now You See Him

Episodes where Columbo loses his cool and blows up on the culprit are especially nice.

Forgotten Lady with Janet Leigh is a real quality episode that deviates a little bit from what's expected.

i gotta thank me tv for showing rockford. kojak is nice too. really a great time travel to see old nyc.

its really weird how tv shows in that era say syndicate instead of mafia must have been that italian american relations council run by the mob.

also those 90 minute tv shows like mccloud and mcmillan and wife are interesting wonder if studios have the balls to do that again

I wish the 90min format would return. Not in full force so much as a viable option. Same goes for 30min drama and 15min a la Adult Swim could use some spreading. Some shows are simply longer than they should be.

probabaly harder to make money selling ads, probably exspensive to make 90 min eps

Seasons 1-2 are the best.

Seasons 3-4 are good but different. They started to have a defined character here but he was a bit different. They tried more obviously to include humour here.

Seasons 5-6 are OK.

Season 7 is fine.

Season 8 is probably the worst.

The rest are meh but better than 10.

Unfortunately, Columbo doesn't stay SUPER amazing for long... but the whole show is really top notch.

I'd be ok with them remaking it as long as the mysteries were as good or better. Can't decide between Mark Ruffalo (the look) or Forrest Whitaker (the condescending disingenuousness) for Columbo, though.

I always enjoy trying to peg the moment when Columbo has them. Like when are his suspicions confirmed. Sometimes he tells us, sometimes he doesn't.

>The Rockford Files
Isn't that the show that had an episode about ECHELON and five eyes and warned its audience about impending technological domination of society by a shadowy elite?

90 minute episodes is the reason MST3K got cancelled on Comedy Central in 99. It was just not financially viable to schedule and program ads for a 90 minute block regularly enough to have a consistent audience for the show.

The reason it worked with Columbo and its rotating peers, is because it was the weekly TV movie, on one of a handful of channels. People anticipated it. You might be able to pull that off with some intense marketing today, but I have to think it's easier to just do it the Netflix way.

i noticed watching at some point that he stops smoking

at first he couldnt put the cigar down, ashing over dead bodies and suspects carpets, then he suddenly stops

I must have missed the transition, but I wonder if it was a decision by the studios, or peters own choice

Who is the best guest star and why is it Donald Pleasence as the wine snob?

Luther and WALLANDER and Sherlock all do 90 min eps.
The eps don't need to cost 10 mil each. They just need to be barebones detection stories. Columbo is all about the writing not the props.

... but Mrs. Columbo was never real. She was just made up to help Columbo get under the villain's skin.

Why would you believe that?

>Also who saw pic related?
I regret nothing.

>Let's hope they never remake it.
Amen

not sure, shatner played an actor detective.

I had that as a theory for a while, but there's an episode where the week's killer tries to kill her, Columbo saw that coming and trapped her. Then he calls his wife for real.

>The Rockford Files for me is the comfiest.
> It's a "it would be 5 minutes long if Jimmy didn't just shoot Angel through the forehead" episode

he was in 2 episodes, it had a fuckton of repeat actors playing different roles
columbo-site.freeuk.com/repeat.htm

also, shu takumi credits columbo as the other major influence on him making Ace Attorney next to Perry Mason of course

Perrry mason or ace attorney any better?

There's a cute chapter of Ryuushika Ryuushika where they watch an episode.

Perry Mason is the story of a defense attorney who only seems to handle murders, ends up doing the investigations the cops never manage to do right, frequently faces off against the same prosecutor, and his secretary is his girl Friday who also acts as moral support.

When in Apollo Justice, Nick breaks the fourth wall to tell us about this new simulator, it's called the Mason System.

Oh, and most of the cases Perry has have the word Turnabout in their titles.

It's nowhere near as lighthearted or funny as AA but it's entertaining.

just one more thing

Perry Mason is my comfy.

Da Vinci's Inquest is ultra comfy, and it's multiple seasons spanning subplots are GoAT.

if you want light hearted courtroom whodunit murder mysteries, you watch Matlock.

there is an episode where he gets a new jacket from his wife and is super pissed about it

Ahh i see what you mean he just blew up on leonard nimoy. at the momnent

the last episode is Ms.Columbo funeral

City of Angels > Wings of Desire

>tfw he let him have that last glass of wine

tfw you switch over to ITV on a Sunday and they're either showing Columbo or Murder She Wrote. Proper comfy.

>mystery

Killer and method is revealed within first 10 mins. GTFO with your genre trash

>Someone said this was the comfiest show on Cred Forums the other day

hey that was me, glad youre enjoying it, i really liked the mensa one

I love that feel

The episode Forgotten Lady is a masterpiece

Spoiler review incoming:
This episode of Columbo brilliantly employs the literary technique of 'forshadowing'. At the END Columbo effectively breaks the rules; taking in a man he knows did not commit the murder in order to allow the real killer to meet her end without being arrested for a crime she doesn't even remember committing. this ending on its own may well have been jarring and hard to swallow were it not for the setting up of the forshadowing sub-plot. We are introduced to the concept that Clomubo is prepared to bend the rules through his dealing with the requirement to take a firearms test. Basically Columbo has never taken the mandatory regular tests for firearm competence, and in the end Columbo actually pays another detective to take his test for him. However this sub-plot is presented light-heartedly, and with comedy. Columbo effectively bribes the detective to fraudulently take his test - but the 'bribe' is only five dollars and we all know that a) Colubo never uses, or even carries, his gun, and b) he is an excellent detective that has brought in many many murderers. Through a sub-plot that could easily be seen as a simple diversion, time filler and offering of light relief, the concept of breaking the rules is introduced in a smaller way, so that when the end comes and Columbo out and out breaks the rules and takes in a person he knows is not the killer, effectively letting the killer go, we are ready for it - in other words 'forewarned' or 'foreshadowed'.

I don't care for most Wenders, but that film is top ten for me.

And coincidentally enough, I just downloaded The Cheap Detective and am going to watch it tomorrow.

>Good old Columbo

youtube.com/watch?v=arBEWjZZ9x4

Falk was good in Murder by Death

OP here , that scene actually made me first wanna watch it , i was like what the fuck is a columbo? shit tickled me

Bishonen Columbo

Awesome. I know I said I was going to watch this tomorrow, but I figured I'd fall asleep to it. It's on the cheesy side so far but comfy enough. I liked our first shot of Falk answering the phone cautiously.

The cast is amazing. James Cromwell as a Nazi!

>It's Columbo eats chili episode

Man, now I'm hungry.

came here to post this, well done

For me the first three seasons, the two pilots and any episode starring or directed by Patrick McGoohan are gold.
After that it becomes a bit more shaky and self aware but the 70s stuff is still mostly watchable. Any season from the 80s onwards is generally absolute garbage, I just can't force myself to sit in front of it (unless it's the aforementioned McGoohan episodes).

>Let's hope they never remake it

You just know they will, don't you?

;_;

Who do you think they'd cast as Columbo? Someone who Hollywood executives think is perfect, but in reality is a terrible tryhard choice.

We all know it'd be his daughter/granddaughter.

Probably someone completely wrong for the role. Some young faggot with perfect teeth and hair who's always trying to be sly and understated but can't help being a show off that loves the attention.

It's not just the actor that'll be wrong. The writing quality would have to be dumbed the fuck down so that the retards watching it live can follow what's happening as the director takes them by the neck and rubs their face in all the important stuff they can't miss.

Fuck it, imma download Columbo now.

The episode that introduces his wife is best

Shatner's 90s ep is hilarious because his fake 'tache is never in the same position from scene to scene.

I could actually see that working, since you could swap the usual wife bits with anecdotes about the dad/grandfather. The real problem would be recapturing Columbo's charm and his funny habits without just copying them entirely. The wardrobe would also be tricky if it was a gal.

I've heard Ruffalo get mentioned but that would guarantee it would be an sjw shitshow.

I think pic related would do a decent job.

I bet you liked the idea of Joan Watson, right?

The cruise ship episode has the ship crew acknowledge and off-screen even interact with Mrs. Columbo. Gitouttahere with you tweests.

Please tell me that you know Ruffalo wouldn't actually write the stories.

Joan is an essential part of why Elementary is such an entertaining show, so yeah. It was a good idea.

he sounds too much like a hillbilly, though

Sons of Anarchy fucked around with 90 minute episodes for the last couple seasons and the last season almost every episode was 90 minutes. Was completely unnecessary and full of filler, which if that all had been trimmed the episodes would have ran relatively smoothly at almost 50 minutes.

Yeah, but a Hollywood actor starring in a TV series would have a degree of clout.

Only half right.

Columbo certainly has a wife, but he lies to people about her.

Which begs the question of when Columbo goes up to one of the murderers and says
>My wife, you see, she love all your books/songs/movies
Has he done his homework, or is he speaking for himself?!
Or is he just flat out bluffing?
>tfw you want to punch yourself out for pulling apart a fictional construct so much

That was a very interesting film.
Peter Sellers in yellowface and all the meta jokes about it are fucking brailliant

>fuck standards as long as it's entertaining and has quips

kys

>its really weird how tv shows in that era say syndicate instead of mafia must have been that italian american relations council run by the mob

I remember that stuck out to me in Goldfinger. When Goldfinger assembles all of these sinister looking "sinister bosses" and they're all obvious dagos. But the only other time I've heard syndicate used is in reference to the National Syndicate, or the commission, and the Jewish mob.

So in stead of just using the term Mafia (the FBI categorically denied the existence of a Mafia) they were referencing this instead

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Crime_Syndicate

stay mad, broheim

Stay pleb, dickshit.

Truth is, the closest we had to a modern Columbo was Monk.

This sounds about right. There are still a few gems sprinkled around the later seasons, so it's worth watching.

Columbo is one of the few complete series I still own completely from my early DVD-buying craze. Feels good.

why is there no "just one more thing" compilation on youtube

Columbo was obviously an inspiration, it's like they took the Columbo character and inverted all of his traits.

I've long thought it would be hilarious to see the two characters meet in a crossover. Too late now I guess

Jesus Christ, you'd confess everything even slightly bad that you've done in your life by the end

This thread is about to die in the archive

Just one more thing...

WTF I want Hillbilly Columbo now

I'm getting pretty tired of all your questions, Lieutenant

Love me some Columbo!

Occasionally I will get impatient during the Columbo-less preamble. Just thought I'd throw that in.