Unpopular opinions

The Thing (2011) > The Thing (1982)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
youtube.com/watch?v=_AASYGG7mrw&ab_channel=vlo12
thething.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thing_II_(video_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do you say this?

The 2011 version has more MEW screentime, so there is that.

Some bad b8 but hopefully we can still have a good The Thing thread.

All Thing threads are good threads.

When did Childs become a Thing?

The older one seems to be really cheesy today, for example some characters - that black guy with skates, WTF? What is he doing among scientists? Actually you don't even feel that the rest of their crew are researchers, they are like some bunch of random guys, the newer one is much better in this regard.

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

There is a cut somewhere of the 2011 version with the practical effects instead of the shitty CGI.

>The Thing (2011) > The Thing (1982)
I thought you'd feel that way, OP. You were the only one who could've got to that blood. We'll do you last.

>characters are normal people and not stupid archetypes
>cheesy

kys

Why did they do it?

If they'd kept the practical effects and not covered them with shitty CGI, it would certainly have been on par at least.

I liked how it showed all the little things you see in the original, like the fireaxe in the wall, and the dude who slit his wrists.

Some idiot exec said "the kids today prefer computer effects, make everything computers instead".

The black guy with the skates, Nauls, is the station's cook. He doesn't operate in any scientific capacity.
In my opinion, Blair, Copper, Bennings and some of the other scientists are written in a way that portrays them as traditionally intellectual. You have to remember that not everyone in the station is there in a research position. Besides Macready, you have Windows (Radio operator), Childs (mechanic), and Clark (dog handler).

The 2011 movie's worst mistake, in my opinion. So much potential lost.

This thread was worth it for this comment alone.

Literally any other bait thread > this bait thread

I know you boys have been through a lot

Drider?

>I liked how it showed all the little things you see in the original, like the fireaxe in the wall, and the dude who slit his wrists.
Exactly

>let's see, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere
>mmm, I shouldn't have fun in my spare time

I'm trying to think of a comparison..it's like 28 days vs weeks. The latter tried to recreate the first but entirely fucking forgot what made it good. Action and purported horror took reign over paranoia, agoraphobia and all of the great creeping emotions that made the 82 version the staple that it is and will continue to be

there was a better payoff in the "stalemate" of the first than MEW surviving in the 11' version

You gotta be fucking kidding.

>paranoia, agoraphobia and all of the great creeping emotions
Now you are exagerrating, the 82 version wasn't that good. Paranoia? Emotions? You simply saw it as a kid, that's all.

I really want a Mac/MEW crossover where they fuck in the end

I think you're the one exaggerating, if you couldn't place yourself in that desolate landscape and feel the collective paranoia of the survivors as morale broke and they turned against each other because this entity riled them so much idk what to tell you

I've only seen the '11 version once and that was enough for me - the thing running at you down a corridor was the summation of the horror offered. Meanwhile carpenters masterpiece is a slowburn that you can watch multiple times and figure out every intricate detail it's SO fucking good till this day people still argue over it - every watch offers a new narrative or piece to the puzzle but it's never quite finished.

The Blob (1988) > The Blob (1958)

The old one is boring and shitty and the remake explored its concept better and everyone just likes the old one more because its "classic" even though its shit.

I didn't know this was an unpopular opinion. How can anyone dislike the Phone booth scene?

youtube.com/watch?v=_AASYGG7mrw&ab_channel=vlo12

I don't know anyone who would prefer the older version.

>upside-down scrotal vigina with triple eye-clits

this is my fetische

Would saying Road Warrior is better than Fury Road be all that unpopular here?

the opposite would be

1 was good but aside toecutter nobody seems to give a shit about it

But when you find the time

Reboot Texas Chainsaw Massacre > original Texas Chainsaw Massacre

>someone shares my vagina dentata monster fetish

Everything about the 2011 prequel was either forgettable or retarded

Alien virus?

Much like The Thing, the Blob 1988 is the definitive version.

people being eaten and shit like that really fucking disturbs me for some reason.

Scenes like that fuck me up for a good half hour...

and yet I somehow enjoy vore. some wires got crossed up there and im not sure how.

I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter

>Cheesy
>Rollerskating was big in the 80's.
>Stuck in a research station in the Antarctic.
>No internet, video games, and an unknown wait between new supplies for entertainment getting sent out.
>And your not a researcher. You're a fucking cook.

Yeah. Totally cheesy for him to be rollerskating around in his spare time.

On a separate note: Anyone else wonder how Palmer always had weed? I feel like that's not something they'd just be shipping to them via supply delivery.

Hillary is going to make Bill her running mate.

screen cap this.

I don't have a fish big enough.

I know there are some deleted scenes with Palmer and Childs growing weed somewhere in the outpost

No, fuck you. The 2003 film is surprisingly competent, especially for a Michael Bay picture but the dinner scene is pure horror, it was so hot and so intense that the actors suffered temporary insanity and the leatherface actor believed he was really being told to murder her. When he cuts her hand, he really cuts her hand and that's real blood.

1 is actually my favorite because Max is actually a character in it and the camera work with the car/bike chases is great

RIP Goose

I would think Palmer grew his own weed given the resources the research facility provided and also taking a few seeds before his departure. But who knows, maybe he has a connect in Antarctica.

TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH.

How can you be disturbed by and like the same thing

That scream, the amalgamation of everything he devoured, still fucks me up. Holy shit.

I saw it for the first time when I was 23 and he's fucking right.

So who was the alien? Childs or McCready?

I know it's been done to death. But isn't it annoying when the director came out and said there was whiskey in that bottle and it wasn't a molotov? Then there are other clues, like you couldn't see Childs' breaths in sub zero but you could see McCready's. But then there's disparaging evidence like Childs' earring never changed place, so he wasn't an imitation?

I don't know what's real anymore. On a side note, The Thing is easily a top three horror film

Childs was infected. If he actually saw Blair running off into the storm he should have just ran and told the others. Also it would have been impossible for him to have seen Blair outside since he was hiding in the generator room the entire time.

I firmly believe it was Childs because of that as well. What about Norris? How did he get infected? What about Blair? He was locked out in that cabin the whole time? Or was he always infected since he first examined the Thing?

The Thing From Another World > 1982 > 2011

Norris was the first one infected. You can tell by the shadow on the wall when the dog walks into the room.

I always assumed that it was Norris' shadow that the infected dog approaches.

Blair probably got infected while he was locked in the cabin. If he did get infected while examining the Thing, then he wouldn't have been continuing his research and leaving all those notes lying around.

Well sunuvabitch. I knew about the scene with Fuchs impaled on the door. How did I never see this?

Who infected Blair in isolation? Couldn't you say that the Thing adapted to Blair's growing anxiety and suspicions, leading him to destroy comms out of "insanity". And don't forget he was building a space ship under the cabin. So maybe it had plans.

nice bait

Blair was infected by the dogs he killed is how I see it
>Kill two dogs that were shitting around with the dog-thing
>Come back with a different shirt (got scratched)

You fags are getting this, right?

That pupper is smug as shit
Also yeah now I am.

Max is a character in all of them

how old are you? have you ever seen an offsite research team? and they aren't all scientists. it's not all hollywood.

Would love to, seems to be US and Canada only, UK never seems to get these remasters.

Love that cover artwork, really wish movie posters were still done like this these days.

If it's region free.

I don't think destroying the coms helps the Thing in the slightest.

this fucking guy

>WE WUZ THANGS N SHIEET

No he fucking wasn't. Stop spreading this shitty meme.

I love Freddy vs Jason and Avatar.

I don't like Nolan's movies.

I think the fan edit of Blair Witch 2 is better than the original Blair Witch Project. Though in all fairness, 2 is a psychological horror, which is a completely different genre.

>I love Freddy vs. Jason

You should re-watch it and you'll realize how badly they fucked up. If they made a sequel with Ash, it would've been far better, but the jews are powerful people.

>WTF

back to your kindergarten, leddit.

Childs, it's confirmed in the shitty comic.

I always figured it got to Norris through his food. His 'heart attack' was it taking him over from the inside.

And debunked in the shitty (I still enjoyed it) video game.

i wast joking

u are utterly alone

Exactly. It's a no brainer.

I think you're confusing a retarded opinion for an unpopular one.

1978>1956

Best post
Also who actually got to the blood, if Copper and Gary were both clean

You should change the thread topic to "Objectively Incorrect Opinions".

>If they'd kept the practical effects and not covered them with shitty CGI, it would certainly have been on par at least.

This is what retards actually believe.

This film is fundamentally flawed on multiple levels, not just the effects.

The script, and the third act specifically, is fucking horrendous.

>I liked how it showed all the little things you see in the original, like the fireaxe in the wall, and the dude who slit his wrists.

Yeah, if you ignore the fact that most of these things were blatantly inconsistent to the imagery in the original.

amadeus isnt that great

Horror films that rely in any way on special effects and special effect films in general made before the late 60s are pretty much without exceptions unwatchable shit.

Carpenter has said that he considers both of them to be human but that's the beauty of the ending, anyone can interpet it how they desire.

In the bluray edition you can see Child's breath

can't wait to see it again in the theater in a few weeks, terrified me when i saw it in 82'
will be my wive's first viewing, anyone else's women friends like this movie, none that i've showed it to have liked it

>reminder that Carpenter considers the game canon

Hell, they even modeled him in the game. I loved the game.

fuckin swedes

>Hey Sweden

They're norwegian, Mac

even though I know most of you faggots will just dismiss the video game but it was fucking great as a direct sequel and a game in its own right (for the times)

Mac comes back, voiced by Russell no less, in a surprise cameo and saves the universe

i honestly have no recollection of the game except that the gameplay was disappointing and not as good as they had hyped it to be

Sir

I like the 50's version, but the 88 version is a fucking horror film and no mistake

I thought the gameplay was very in keeping with the movie. Made me jump a lot due to a heightened sense of paranoia.

Video games aren't great for sustaining high tension for long periods though, i.e. you get used to it so you kind of have to take it as you find it.

The fact its about 2 quid second hand though should be enough.

Asian movies>Movies from the west
I feel like they are rarely too concerned with modern trends and such, always do some crazy shit that ends up working.
Sion Sono's films for example are amazing. Not one movie from that nerd that I havent loved.

Biggest issue I had with the game was that after you step over certain point, your teammate transforms even if you test him five seconds earlier and he was clean.

thething.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thing_II_(video_game)

It really took me out of it a lot because you could really tell it was cgi.

All fans loved the practical effects of the first one. Still love the prequel bc MEW and because i just have to BUT.

Someone please answer. The ship that crashed. Was that another race or was it The Thing.

I think they were transporting The Thing and it escaped.

Nope, rewatched as well and just as good.

Not sure it was Palmer but there was a scene with one of them where it was shown the weed they grew.

Except they weren't inconsistent.

This is not unpopular, this is just fake and retarded.

Please commit suicide so everybody could live better in this world.

or the thing was piloting the ship travelling to another planet to devour its populace

Not that user but how did they fuck it up? The only major flaw was them making Jason scared of water. Besides that, it was pretty much everything you could want from a movie called Freddy vs Jason.

I thought Star Wars Episode III was the best Star Wars film.

That's not unpopular tho.

That's a pretty popular opinion, senpai. Everyone agrees that the 1978 version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is better than all of the other versions.

I don't see how anyone could unironically think this. The remake is a generic slasher that completely lacks the unsettling atmosphere that the original has.

Yeah, the original is unsettling. It's almost as if you are watching it live.

The dinner time scene in the original is on another level. It just captures the insanity of the whole thing.

Apparently the set stank with the rotting meat and it was oppressively hot it must have been fucked shooting it.