Just finished pic related. What does tv think of this movie and any of Kubricks films...

Just finished pic related. What does tv think of this movie and any of Kubricks films. I thought this movie was very good, and way ahead of its time. It was unlike anything i had ever seen before and interested me alot.

I prefer the sweaty version with Jeremy Irons

That rape scene...

Is this in the remake?

Is what in the remake?

I never finished reading the original novel, but as a big fan of VN the film is really disappointing, Kubrick really failed to find a cinematic style that matches the charm, the wit, the twisted view of reality of Humbert Humbert's version of events

>Ironically, Kubrick found something very similar when he made A Clockwork Orange

If you forget the source material then it's a very strong film, the casting and the acting is along with Barry Lyndon the best in Kubrick's filmography.

I love that moment where Humbert talks about shaving and Lolita is caressing his cheek, or Peter Sellers "I'm just a normal guy like you, I'm just normal".

However I didn't like how he failed to emphasize the control Humbert exercised over Lolita, we only really get a sense of it when he's painting her toenails telling her the things he's going to buy her than chastising her for spending time with boys: that's really the only time, and it's very implicit, very subtle that we really understand that Humbert is a predator.

I read the novel and I prefer the 1997 version with Adrian Lyne as director.

I really think Kubrick didn't take seriously this movie, He made it pretty childish and "innocent". With a cartoonish villain, I love this Quilty version He's fucking funny, but He is not supposed to be funny and silly, so no. The road travel was omitted too, a very important part.

1997 version has better photography and direction, and of course, deeper emotional scenes. I really think this version really made a honour to the book.
The only problem I have with this version is Dolores herself, He's not fucking redhead, neither white. She has tanned skin. But well, just small details.

>also

No version showed the real Dolores at the end. She ended living in the absolute misery with a handicap husband and pregnant, no version showed this. She deserves every suffering, fucking bitch.

The villain was just Quagmire from Family guy

>she deserves every suffering

Alright, well you get raped and abused by your father and then see if she deserved it, faggot

Bitch was a slut.
If she wouldn't be such cunt everything would be different.

I enjoined her suffering, every single moment.
Justice was made.

One of Kubrick's worst. It's literally impossible to do a real adaption of Lolita because they're forced to be heavily censored and most of the film gets cut out before being released.

One of my favourite films, shit is frightening and emotion evokin, oh wait, Its the inferior version.
Nothing to see here boys.

The book is a billion times better.

Bad as an adaptation and on its own merit. The newer one is much better.

Have you actually read the book? There's very little sex. It reads like a hilarious travelogue of a dysfunctional father-daughter road-trip.

I didn't like it. Felt like the film had no idea what it wanted to be.

This, I hate when pleb go around saying about ever dime-store trash that gets adapted into a feature film, but this is one of the times when I would say that the film doesn't even compare to the amazing piece of literature its based off of.

Most of it is that, but there is still some very detailed sex scenes that would never be allowed in a movie.

what?

she was not so poor and the husband was an engineer

i'm a big fan of it

I interpreted her ending as implying that she was deeply affected by what happened but not destroyed by it, being capable of finding a happy life and supportive family for herself. Whereas Humbert went from being a pervert to a complete monster and was left destroyed by the experience, pathetically unable to get over it and accept her rejection but simultaneously having gained just enough insight to regret what he had done.

you realise she dies in childbirth?

lol, i had completely forgotten that detail.

>The Hunter road was miles away in an even more dismal district, landfills and ditches filled with wormy orchards and huts and gray drizzle and red mud and several smoldering piles the distance. I stopped at the last "house", a wooden hut, similar to other two or three that were seen in the surroundings and surrounded by a wasteland littered with weeds.

Seems pretty shitty to me, not like the nice neighborhood they show in the 1997 movie.

>The road travel was omitted too, a very important part.

Kubrick said he didn't like the book as much once Humbert and Lo actually hook up. I think he liked the pursuit of Humbert trying to seduce her and once that happens there isn't much left.

The only way to make a good adaptation off Lolita is by making her the main character reacting to the weird shit her rapedad does

So he liked the bit that presents Humbert's fantasy somewhat uncritically as something that might be possible to achieve happily, and disliked the bit that reveals the unpleasant reality?

>dolores gud girl
>she dindu nuffin

Both are to blame here, one was a obsessive monster and the other was a literal slut. Bad combination.

Still more interesting from her perspective

No he only said it wouldn't translate cinematically because then it'd become a series of vignettes, where in the novel you have Humbert's stylized retelling of the events to keep you enthralled.

He didn't say he didn't like it.

But the only way he felt like he maintain the audience interest after the """"romance"""" was consummated was to move the murder to the first scene. Nabokov seemed to agree as the first scene of his screenplay is a drunk Humbert shooting a stoned Quilty.