Why were 90's shows so based? Are you even trying 21st century?

Why were 90's shows so based? Are you even trying 21st century?

>likable, earnest characters who aren't smug or self-aware
>episodes can be fun, lighthearted adventure stories without any need to inject soap opera-tier drama or edgy, angsty wankery
>shows could be tongue-in-cheek and campy without being shit on by pretentious faggots

The nineties were truly a gilded era for television

So many great shows.there was always something to watch

Because it's the current Nostalgia trend. Ten years from now millenials will be in their mid/late twenties, and it will be their turn to praise shows from the 00's.

That shit was boring.

cell phones weren't ubiquitous.

movies are better when you need a pay phone to call from the middle of nowhere

Nah, the 00's are objectively when things went awry. We can thank HBO for that, as many great shows as they've produced they started the trend of edgy television

Ironically their best show is a 90's show, pic related

agreed, nowadays I struggle to find even a few current shows that can hold my interest. I spend far more time watching older series these day, the 90's most of all

never cared for Quantum Leap, too preachy and maudlin

Is that... Dean Cain?

Yep

Lois & Clark is maximum comfy, and the best live-action Superman adaptation to date IMO. Teri Hatcher is the definitive Lois Lane too

Even the 90s teen sitcoms were awesome such nostalgia

Watching Hercules right now. I miss coming home from school and watching this and xena.

Honestly I can't wait for teenage sitcoms set in Socal to not deal with the beach or surfing. There are too many times I tell someone I'm from California and they ask if I can surf

Yeah the were pretty stereotypical back then even the new York shows

Me too, also The Pretender, Highlander, Buffy, Charmed, Relic Hunter...

glorious times

Nostalgia glasses.

You're only remembering the good and not the sea of shit it floated in.

even the worst 90's shows are better than what makes up 90% of television these days. Reality TV anyone? Back in the 90's there was The Real World and game shows and that's about it

The Pretender. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen that show mentioned on this board. It is one of my favorites. Too bad we never got closure, but I think that is part of the reason why I like it so much.

The creators of the show recently rebooted the show in novel form, you should check it out. There are some stupid changes (like red Ipads instead of red notebooks) but for the most part I'm loving it, just started the second book. I really hope there will be more

Xena is the GOAT 90's show

its weird thinking back, living through the 90's we had all these shows like seinfeld, friends, frazier, x files, buffy, and at the time we didnt think they were anything special. but compared to todays television shows almost everything from the 90's is a masterpeice

>mfw there is no good sci-fi on TV these days
>just capeshit, Game of Thrones, and zombies

But 2000 on is the golden age of TV.

Wtf? We're literally living through the golden age of television you fucking moron.

the golden age is late 80's - mid 00's

this is an objective fact and not open for debate

youre insane if you think that. basically theres been 3 above average tv shows the last 15 years probably. sopranos, breaking bad, mad men

No one actually thinks this

Are you actually going to make someone list all the amazing shows that have been made in the last 15 years? Off the top of my head: THE FUCKING WIRE, boardwalk empire, peaky blinders,game of thrones, Broadchurch, Mr. Robot. I bet if I cared to I could list about 50 amazing shows, and that's just drama. You've got shit like Louie, The Office, Parks and Rec, Extras for comedy. Nothing pre 2000 came close to the quality of acting, production values and writing that we've seen on television since then. You're objectively wrong. Fuck off.

mate get real. first of all its not fair to list shows that only have one or 2 seasons under their belt, so just fuck off with mr robot , boadchurch had one good season. i'll give you the wire, i forgot about that one. but the office, parks and rec, those are average tier comedy sitcoms. you cant say those are top tier television. boarwalk empire is ok, but highly derivative of gangster shows that came before it. theres nothing even remotely original about it.

No one with shit taste like you anyway. Only edgelords who are obsessed with "muh serious, cinematic shows" would disagree

Bojack horseman. A 2016 show about the 90's.

Got to love the meta.