He should have an Oscar

He should have an Oscar

Other urls found in this thread:

grantland.com/features/the-making-of-les-grossman-an-oral-history/
youtube.com/watch?v=WPCJBYdW8gY
youtube.com/watch?v=6nDpYp8WyQc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Sylvester_Stallone#Academy_Awards
businessinsider.com/quotes-about-tom-cruise-2014-7
quora.com/Is-Tom-Cruise-a-really-nice-guy
crushable.com/2014/10/08/entertainment/nicest-guys-in-hollywood-matt-damon/
cracked.com/article_20413_5-heartwarming-stories-to-restore-your-faith-in-celebrities.html
digitalspy.com/tv/news/a788966/kirsten-dunst-on-former-interview-with-a-vampire-co-star-tom-cruise-he-sends-me-a-cake-every-christmas/
youtube.com/watch?v=UyW8FdzH9dg
slashfilm.com/tom-cruise-underwater-mission-impossible/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Several actually

>Didn't win for Born of the 4th of July
>Didn't win for Eyes Wide Shut
>Didn't win for Magnolia

Disgusting

Probably lifetime achievement oscar or some shiet
which speech will be 45 minutes of uninterrupted Xenu praise

I'm still convinced he basically played himself in Collateral and a parody of his real self in Tropic Thunder which is why he's actually great in them

can't bruise the cruise

Nothing for Last Samuri...

Nothing for MI1

fairly certain in tropic thunder he parodied some producer and also some business man he was feuding with.

He's based because he doesn't spend all his time chasing Oscars like Leo (which was a fucking meme). He just does his thing.

Tom built that character from the ground up, really good read

grantland.com/features/the-making-of-les-grossman-an-oral-history/

>Stiller: I had been talking to Tom about being in the movie. He read the script and actually came up with the idea for the character.

>Cornfeld: Tom read the script when there was no Les Grossman and said, “I think you need another villain other than just the 12-year-old drug king. What about some greedy pig studio executive who really represents the gross part of Hollywood?”

>Stiller: His idea to show the studio head actually fixed a problem we had for a long time. We never cut back to the real world for any of the previous drafts. All the Grossman scenes totally fixed the plot holes.

>Cornfeld: We did a draft that incorporated that character and Ben gave it to Tom. Then, the frequency of our discussions slowed down. Tom Cruise is a busy guy.

>Cohen: The character spent a year being “Studio Head.” July 2003, he becomes Todd Berlinger. October 2003, Todd Green. This was an interesting draft, because here’s the first draft where we really see the guy who became the profane Les Grossman, screaming at Flaming Dragon that if they so much as sneeze on the craft services table, he will fuck them up. Then, a couple weeks later — Phillip Green. For the life of me, I can’t remember why.

>Cornfeld: Ben decided he was going to play Speedman, and then he got a phone call from Tom, who said he just couldn’t get the script out of his mind. Tom asked, “What else is open?” And Ben said, “Well, we haven’t cast the Les Grossman role yet.” Tom was like, “I’d play that.”

>Stiller: And he said he wanted to dance.

he looked best in collateral, that grey suits him well

Tom Cruise is the man

Leo Dicaprio that basically plays the same role in every movie has an oscar, and Tom Cruise the dude that can play anything from comedy to drama has none.

This is BULL.... SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edge of Tomorrow was fucking awesome.

>full house

Thing is, Tom doesn't care, he takes roles that interest him, I mean he's done stuff that put him close to getting an Oscar early in his career but it wasn't his primary concern.

I mean it seems like Tom would be completely unapproachable but then you see cameos in Austin Powers and Tropic Thunder and it boggles the mind he'd go for it AND even assist.

I would like to see him in a Tarantino movie.

Tarantino would probably give him a chance to show just how much of a good actor he is.

Not sure what kind of character he could play, though. I somehow struggle to picture him in a Tarantino movie.

He could reprise Vincent in a story set before the events of Collateral. And just a reminder, both Vincent and Statham's Transporter exist in the same universe.

Meh. That wouldn't be very interesting.

I'd much prefer to see him in a Tarantino movie that is not of the crime genre.

>1989
Lost to LEWIS WINS LOL, and would have lost to Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society otherwise
>1996
I don't think he deserved it at all for Jerry McGuire
>1999
Should have totally won it for Magnolia.

You have to be retarded to care about the oscars

This is true. You don't just have to be good to win an Oscar: you have to have the studio back you up and waste a healthy amount on selling your performance to the press and to the critics; you also need the proper connections to influence the academy members' vote.

You really think that if Tom wanted to he could have won an Oscar already?

He just stopped caring about that shit years ago.

Dudes crazy as fuck, but he really is one of the best actors

Seconding Magnolia

and then he gets into something that's a bit of both and really out of his type while still being a badass action movie/hero with Edge of Tomorrow. He really sold the arc of his character from a complete scumbag coward to a hero with a wacky video-gamey time travel plot and it totally worked.

He's a nutty fucker, but yeah, he should definitely have one. It's weird that Tom Cruise is often overlooked and underrated.

Thirding Magnolia.

Pretty much has nothing left to prove to anyone so might as well do the thing he loves, which is acting/stuntwork, this guy can run like a pro-athlete, drive anything that has wheels and has a pilot license. He doesn't pretend to be an action hero, he practically is one.

I love the fact that months before shooting he went on location to start getting fitted up for the Jackets.

Did you just see this interview too? Uploaded recently.
youtube.com/watch?v=WPCJBYdW8gY

Fourthing Magnolia

>so might as well do the thing he loves
Sure, but it would be nice to see him in something a bit more high-brow for a change.

Explain please

As he gets older and unable to keep jumping off buildings he will have no choice but to make high brow again.

CRUISE KINO POWER RANKINGS

1. Minority Report
2. Magnolia
3. Eyes Wide Shut
4. Collateral
5. Edge of Tomorrow
6. M:I 3

6. M:I 3
stopped reading right there

That's where you were supposed to stop reading

at the end?

You asshat, the original DePalma Mission Impossible is the only true kino in that franchise.

>I'd much prefer to see him in a Tarantino movie that is not of the crime genre.
Yes please.

youtube.com/watch?v=6nDpYp8WyQc

>implying pic related didn't make 3 the best one

He'll get one of those pity Oscars when he's lie 70

Im sure Stallone and Arnold have them coming soon

PSH was the best thing about it and some of the action was cool (bridge scene and Cruise running past all those people), but the whole romance thing bogged the story down so much and felt way out of place.

Doesn't Sly have one for Rocky?

Arnold does deserve one but the academy can never appreciate action films

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Sylvester_Stallone#Academy_Awards

Nope he has been up for Best actor, best original screen play and best supporting and hasnt won any of them

Which is BS because he should have won all three

He had an acting and writing nomination, but not win

>le mentally ill closet gay homosexual man
>BASED CRUISE!!! Mission Impossible is kino xD
fucking plebs

You have to get out of this "South Park-syndrome", user.

why make this post

what are you or anyone else getting out of this

III was directed like shit. And don't even get me started on JJ Abrams' "muh mysterybox".

Why do people always shit on Leo? There are a million less deserving Oscar winners than him.

so scientology scares the IRS but not the Oscar Jews, rly makes you think

He doesn't give a shit and has nothing to prove. Just look at the list of directors he worked with. Also he knows the history of psychiatry and you don't.

Well his next movie American Made is a crime drama where he plays a real life drug smuggler who ends up working with the DEA.

Tom Cruise on the set of The Mummy. Yes... seriously.

The bus one was easily the most hilarious.

yeah... been watching a lot of charlie rose interviews lately since i found that channel

1. Oblivion

>what is EWS?

Not even top 10

>it would be nice to see him in something a bit more high-brow for a change.
Oblivion only came out 3 years ago m80

>I like to project.

You're the sort of jerk that'd squirt someone with water as they come over to give you an interview. That's sooo rude. Why would you do that?

Seriously his best role.
But that's Michael Mann for you.

Nice post user.

Love Cruise, the greatest superstar.

>parodying himself in Tropic Thunder

Wasn't he fucking Jew

Tom Cruise has a special place in my heart as that guy who seems full of himself and a big fat cunt in real life, but when it comes to movies, he always takes things very seriously and becomes really involved.

>Tom Cruise has a special place in my heart as that guy who seems full of himself and a big fat cunt in real life

But Tom is known for being extremely friendly - almost to the point of being creepy about it like Christian Bale pointed out.

Source for that? Everything I hear about it seems to be that he's basically a full blown diva who despises the masses.

Like your mum.

>Everything I hear about it seems to be that he's basically a full blown diva who despises the masses.

About the most I've heard people give Tom shit it was the Matt Lauer interview (and tom even apologized a few years later) and a bunch of other jelly no fun allowed celebs, George Clooney went on record saying it's ridiculous of tom to still be doing his own stunts and Brad Pitt was fucking pissed at Tom's happy attitude on the set of Interview with a Vampire that he even tried to opt out of it to no avail.

>Source for that?

I'm surprised you haven't heard of all the articles about people saying he's a great guy. Here's top 5 from a quick search for you:

businessinsider.com/quotes-about-tom-cruise-2014-7
quora.com/Is-Tom-Cruise-a-really-nice-guy
crushable.com/2014/10/08/entertainment/nicest-guys-in-hollywood-matt-damon/
cracked.com/article_20413_5-heartwarming-stories-to-restore-your-faith-in-celebrities.html
digitalspy.com/tv/news/a788966/kirsten-dunst-on-former-interview-with-a-vampire-co-star-tom-cruise-he-sends-me-a-cake-every-christmas/

Wew thanks for Correcting My Record!
So what now, does this man have any flaws or is he just 100% based?
Disregarding the whole scientology thing of course.

>yfw Scientology isn't actually a scam and Tom Cruise found the secret of the universe and everlasting kino

Well there was that whole thing with Katie Holmes and Oprah. That's where people started to think he was a crazy scientologist. I remember some time ago from Cred Forums that he left the church because he realized that he was watching his daughter grow up and he wasn't there for her enough.

Holy fuck that Tom Hader story.
>"He thinks for a second. 'We'll get you home tonight.' And in that moment, Tom Cruise, as Les Grossman, in a karate gi, began to direct all my coverage," Hader explained. "All my footage, all my close-ups. Boom! We do three perfect takes. Boom, boom, boom. Everyone's chest-butting each other, some people are chest-butting themselves, people are going insane." Two days' worth of work, Hader said, "and he got it done in 45 minutes." Then Katie Holmes came up to him and handed him a piece of paper with his new flight information. "You're on the red eye tonight," she told him. "I'm like, 'What?!'" Hader said. Because Cruise got him out of work and on a plane that night, he was able to surprise his wife and daughter by 7:45 the next morning and check in on them in person. "So that's what it's like to work with Tom Cruise," Hader said.
Kek'd audibly at the chest-bumping.

Well yeah apparently the only negative things about him is he can get a little extreme with happiness from time to time.

At most Scientology is seen as sketchy shit that he is deeply involved in, and it has hurt him family wise since he can't see his daughter because of it.

That said, you never see recruitment videos with Tom talking about how great it is and how people should join etc etc, every interview he's talking about the movie he's working on, or upcoming projects.

if he's shilling, it's for the movie people he works with end of.

Also, I love this fucking video.

youtube.com/watch?v=UyW8FdzH9dg

Why the fuck doesn't this guy have an oscar yet? He's a fucking legend.

>Tom Cruise, as Les Grossman, in a karate gi, began to direct all my coverage," Hader explained. "All my footage, all my close-ups. Boom! We do three perfect takes. Boom, boom, boom. Everyone's chest-butting each other, some people are chest-butting themselves, people are going insane." Two days' worth of work, Hader said, "and he got it done in 45 minutes."

OK sure, this is not the same as directing a major motion picture, but that's still damn impressive, why has he never tried doing a full on director gig?

The church of scientology made Leah Remini pay $300,000 for 'reprogramming' sessions for ruining Tom Cruise's wedding

Shit Tom makes me want to be one. I want what he's on, it's really working. He does his own stunts like a madman. The new MI while not that good had crazy stunts.

lolwut, it says he won one in 84 for Tender Mercies

>The new MI while not that good had crazy stunts.

slashfilm.com/tom-cruise-underwater-mission-impossible/

>It’s something I have always wanted to do. (Director Christopher McQuarrie) and I have been thinking about it since working on ‘Edge of Tomorrow.’ I have done a lot of underwater sequences. But we wanted to create a suspense underwater sequence without cuts. So doing that sequence was really interesting. We’re underwater and we’re doing breath-holds of 6 to 61/2 minutes. So I was doing all my training with the other stuff (on-set). It was very taxing stuff.

>I know what you’re thinking, and I was thinking that too. Is that even possible? Turns out, it’s very possible. The world record for holding your breath underwater is around 22 minutes. That makes Cruise’s 6 minute hold seem totally feasible. He worked with a performance underwater trainer named Kirk Krack to figure out the breathing technique and while there’s no mention of how many takes it took, you can be sure there were plenty of precautions taken with the mega star.

This is my favorite movie Cruise starred in.
It's too bad that Nicholson's line in the courtroom became such a meme for so many years.
This movie is comfy as fuck.

>dat cast

I've never seen the whole thing sadly enough.

The absolute unstoppable madman.

A movie that came out almost 20 years ago.

Your mission this week is to go and watch the full movie. You won't be disappointed.

For what role? They don't give oscars for fucking consistency of being "pretty good" you idiot.

I love it. Gate to the past. Great insight.

I think he's a terrific actor. I enjoy like 90% of his work and even in the films that I don't like, he's usually good. I just wish he'd do couple more smaller films next, he's been in action mode for a pretty long time now. I don't know yet if Mena counts. But I'd like to see him working with Michael Mann, PTA or someone like that again.

Agreed, his performance of "devout scientologist" is really moving