A Serious Man

What does Cred Forums make of this?

something something jews boring yawn something something

One of the best Coen's movies. Almost enough to make you jewish.

that it's a great pleb filter, as evidenced by this ADHD spastic

It was a great movie for teenagers
>dude weed lol
>lol no god lol
>lol nothing happesn for a reason

Sophomoric

I'm seriously checking your dubs

Are you baiting? Because I think I'm being baited.

You have to admit that nihilism is often a juvenile belief

Movie's not nihilistic at all. It's a rather jewish movie. Book of Job and Ecclesiastes are, basically, the bluepring for this movie. The ways of God are undecipherable and, if they have or not have a meaning, is not for us to understand that meaning but to "accept the mistery" and keep on going. We don't ever know what is going on, that's where faith takes into play, since in faith we can trust when knowledge doesn't reach.

>lol no god

You didnt watch the movie.

Either that or you are an idiot.

THESE ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE AIRPLANE

There's very little difference between believing that there is a God that cannot ever be understood and believing there is no God.

If I give you a coded message and I say that code is entirely random, has zero pattern, and can never be deciphered, is it really a message?

That's not the point dumdum
Just look at the parking lot

There's a kind of a big difference between something that exists and something that doesn't but hey, who the fuck cares, right?

And this is not something the Coen's have made up, not questioning God choices even when they're difficult of impossible to understand is an integral part of the Bible from the sacrifice of Isaac to Moses being forced to wander in the desert, from the sacrifice of Jesus to the destruction of the cities of the plain to Job to the whole book of Ecclesiastes where it is, literally stated, that everything is meaningless.

>There's a kind of a big difference between something that exists and something that doesn't
That's what I'm getting at.
In my example of a coded message that can never ever be deciphered, does the message exist?

If something is inherently impossible to understand, does it really exist?

JUST LOOK AT THESE DUBS LARRY

G-d truly works in mysterious ways

Nihilists BTFO

Of course it does. What kind of a question is this? The one who did the message would be able of deciphering it, even if he was the one. The thing, itself, would exist. Existence is not a matter of understanding, is not an opinion nor an argument.

H-Hashem?

I guess you would know, Satan.

DON'T YOU WANT SOME DUBS TO CHECK?
DON'T YOU NEED SOME DUBS TO CHECK?

>Larry is scared of his redneck neighbour who most likely killed Nazis while he sat on his nerdy ass in the US

Really makes you think

WOULDN'T YOU LOVE SOME DUBS TO CHECK?
YOU BETTER FIND SOME DUBS TO CHECK

It's a real question in information theory.
If a code cannot be deciphered, it is not a code.
By its nature, all codes can be deciphered, even if the time it takes is greater than the expected lifetime of the universe.

All codes must be able to be deciphered. If they cannot be, it is not a code.

To summarize my point, if there is a God that is intrinsically impossible to ever understand, then it doesn't exist. Just like a code that cannot be deciphered isn't a code.

WHEN
THE
TRUTH
IS
FOUND

This is starting to get spooky now

Someone in this thread has the Dubtaculus

So you think God is merely a code?

FUCK YOU SATAN

Do you think the planet sized organic entity in Solaris doesn't exist?

shit

No, the code bit is a metaphor.

One of the criteria of existence is the ability to be perceived, either directly or through its effects on other perceivable things.

Please
Accept the mystery

checked

> ancient jew and ancient female jew didn't live life with simplicity
> old dude arrives at your home asking for soup
> the simple way to solve it is just givr him soup
> LOL NO HE'S A GHOST GUNNA STAB HIM
> get cursed
> if it wasn't a ghost get jailed
> if you solved the problem with simplicity it would be fine either way
Really smart move, all of larry's problems could've been solved with simplicity
Bribe? Just take it
Your brother? Just help him with the bribe
Your wife is cucking you?? Just dump the bitch out of your house
But no, he is a Serious man, he did nothing of what I just say, because he is a Serious man, but he finds that the truth he believed, the true way of living, the way of a serious man, turns out to be lies, and the joy (and organs) within him dies

So if someone, an human person, was completely, entirely random, he would not exist? Also, don't you think there's a difference between "impossible to understand" by us and "completely random"?

God and Satan in the same thread

You're missing the point. It's a question of faith.
But regardless of what you personally believe on the issue, there's a profound difference between an intent to show that things are random, meaningless, and there is no God and the intent to show that there is a God that cannot be understood.
Accepting the mystery, and the question you pose about the difference between a God who can't be understood and no God at all, are the struggles one goes through when contemplating the divine.

I am not religious.

And who you are suppose to be?

The body of the person would exist, yes, but if they were entirely random in their thoughts and actions, then their mind would not exist.

>don't you think there's a difference between "impossible to understand" by us and "completely random"

What do you think the difference is?

And the prophets said: 'Lo and behold, that those who witness the dubs shall become dubs themselves.'

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Do you think the average person can take a complicated code and see it's not random? Now, don't you think there could potentially be codes too difficult for even the most intelligent of humans to comprehend?

Jews confirmed Satan.

The rabbis were pretty funny

Now it's no longer "impossible to be understood" and is instead "not understood yet".

If we go back to the movie, that's quite a bit different than what it was saying thematically.

See the problem here is that you seem to be conflating understanding something with the question of its entire existence because you define a code that way. God is not a code whose existence falls apart because of randmoness like the fact that just because there is no pattern in the expansion of pi doesn't mean pi doesn't exist. It's like that paradox of trying to program a neural net without any preconceived notions, even if you set it up to be completely random you've already programmed a preconceived data set into it, it's just that it's now random.
Also I always interpreted the movie as being absurdist more than nihilist, given how Larry never denies the existence of God but tries to make sense of the world as a serious man really jesus christ

God exists

>because there is no pattern in the expansion of pi doesn't mean pi doesn't exis
Pi exists, but there is no message in Pi.

You see what I'm saying?
In your example, the Universe would be metaphorically the number sequence of Pi and God would be any message within that number sequence.

Don't look at my indecipherable code example as literal.
Think along the lines of essentialism and what that means for a code that cannot be deciphered.

HOLY SHIT IT'S HAPPENED AGAIN

Well, at first it wasn't "it doesn't exist" and now it is "its value is the same as if it never existed". Also, we are talking about God here, he's supposed to have made all of this, so it's its own rules. That's the whole point. Our opinions are meaningless before him. Our desire to understand is meaningless before him. Again, is not only a theme of the movie, is a theme of the own religion the movie is built upon, from the Tree Of Knowledge to the Tower Of Babel.

Sorry, God. Satan is already running this thread

t. triggered christfag

muh beliefs

It was a great movie. Funniest part Bar Mitzvah scene, guy holding the scrolls can't keep them up and whispers jesus christ.
Yea but he banged that milf, wasn't so serious man then when it happened.

Marty, I'm scared.

Well, by definition, existence proceeds from God and some would argue God is perceived through his effects (i.e. the universe ["Just look at that parking lot"]).

he was dreaming
it didn't happen

For real? He didn't bone the milf next door? I didn't realize it was a dream.

What are the official Coen rankings?

How has no one posted a gif of his neighbors tits yet?

The Man Who Wasn't There>Barton Fink=A Serious Man>No Country For Old Men>Blood Simple if I had to pick a Top 5

>In your example, the Universe would be metaphorically the number sequence of Pi and God would be any message within that number sequence.
See, again you're defining God as information rather than as an independent entity.

Just as you said "Pi exists, but there is no message in Pi." I can similarly claim that "God exists, but there is no message in God." The meaning of the object/concept is independent of its existence.

Because Google exists

now we only need Ween

Barton Fink > Fargo > A Serious Man > Inside Llewyn Davies > No Country For Old Men > The Hudsucker Proxy > Raising Arizona > Oh Brother Where Art Thou > Miller's Crossing > True Grit > The Man Who Wasn't There > The Big Lebowski > Hail Caesar > Burn After Reading > Blood Simple > Ladykillers > Intorelable Cruelty

>whole book of Ecclesiastes where it is, literally stated, that everything is meaningless.
So it is nihilistic?