Most Overrated Contemporary Director?

If you're gonna be a fucking psycho on set, at least have something to back it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-zap-ent-david-russell-groping-story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4nabfeBqQt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

didn't he molest his tranny newphew too?

is he /our guy/ ?

Paul Thomas Anderson

Horrible? Yes.

Overrated? I've never heard/ seen anyone ever mention him and I had to do a reverse image search just to figure out who he was.

So, no.

I thought that was Stanley Tucci for a second. Wondered when he had started directing films.

Yes, I agree. David O. Russell is a fucking joke. I 'Heart' Huckabees is such wannabe-Woody Allen shite. It's awful in every way.
American Hustle is such forgettable muck. It's a few scene strung around a load of slo-mo shots. He tried to make a Scorsese film took any bit of substance and mirth out of it.

His whole Bradley Cooper/J'Law thing is perfect as they're terrible actors, so the three deserve each other. They're their own containment zone.

Forgot to put my vote in for Refn.

Holy shit.

Fucking Hollywood will turn a blind eye to whoever's making money.

Imagine being his brother and not beating the shit out of him. How much of a pussy is this guy's brother? I would've smacked the shit out of him.

>A police report obtained by The Smoking Gun alleges that Russell offered to help Peloquin with ab exercises during which his hand "hovered above" her "private parts." Then Peloquin says after a chat about hormones used to increase breast size, Russell slipped his hands under her shirt and "felt both breasts."

>For his part, Russell confirms that the incident happened, but told police that Peloquin was "acting very provocative toward him" and invited him to feel her breasts. He also admitted to being "curious about the breast enhancement."

>"David O. Russell emphatically denies any wrongdoing and has cooperated fully with the authorities," said a spokesperson for Russell in a statement to The Wrap.

>Peloquin also says Russell made her "pinky swear" about the breast-touching.

chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-zap-ent-david-russell-groping-story.html

>Overrated

Do you even understand what that word means? No one fucking rates him.

He gets nominated for an Oscar every time he takes a shit

so is he /ourguy/? He also beat up George Clooney or something.

Clooney kicked his arse, actually. Based Clooney.

You are correct, OP, it's Russell

By all accounts he's a piece of shit, but I actually think he's a decent filmmaker. Flirting With Disaster, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees and The Fighter are all like 7/10. I also liked American Hustle better than most of Cred Forums seemed to

It was strange because he seemed so nice and chill in that Director's Roundtable discussion

Because most directors (and most people) are chill when there's nothing really on the line and they just have to behave.

There's a big difference between that and being on set, when you have to make things go right. Even Ben Affleck hinted in Argo's commentary track that he'd get short with extras if he thought they were fucking around.

Russell is simply insane enough to get into screaming matches with big-name actors.

Pretty much this. He goes nuts under pressure, and takes it out on his cast and crew

>made her "pinky swear"

Holy fuck. This fucking guy. It's like something out of a shitty horror film where the psychotic killer is delusional.

He's a narcissist. Just watch any interview with him. He mythologises himself and the films he makes.

In one interview he actually said a scene in American Hustle was a 'homage' to a scene in Three Kings. So he homages his own films?

You can tell he's a narcissist as he's so chill when he's talking about himself, but flipping out when anyone or anything minor gets in the way of his glory.

>Tom Hooper
>Darren Aronofsky
>David O. Russell
The modern holy trinity of cinematic mediocrity

Here's that interview. Cringeworthy. Loving droning on about himself as if he's fucking Bela Tarr or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=4nabfeBqQt8

He's also being really banal, but he thinks he's being profound or insightful.

Nah I was talking about the roundtable one with Danny Boyle, Tarantino, Iñárritu and Ridley Scott

Wow, some serious drop-off in the talent there between those three and Toe-sucker and O. Russell.