Whaaaat? How was the original Death Star that fucking small compared to DSII?

Whaaaat? How was the original Death Star that fucking small compared to DSII?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_III
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DS-1_Orbital_Battle_Station
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_2
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Monument_Plaza
variety.com/2016/film/news/adam-driver-star-wars-episode-8-empire-strikes-back-1201859717/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Considering TFA canon

Getting back to the op's actual question...

Is that really the size difference between the two Death Stars?

Really hype to see Gareth Edwards bring a sense of scale to the SW world because it's really never had one before.

>Is that really the size difference between the two Death Stars?
No

How did they turn whole planet into a weapon? I mean - only digging that hole would take incredible amount of workforce and money. Where did First Order get both of that if Empire no longer rule the galaxy?

More importantly, how did it take 20 years to build DS1 when DSII was operational within 2-3 years?

The Starkiller's planet is actually pretty fucking small. Why aren't they doing 10m high jumps when it probably has a gravity lower than the moon?

More like DSII was in development alongside DSI?

>tfw too intelligent to enjoy Star Wars

the 900km ds2 is absolutely ridiculous.
think about it:
the rebels flew inside it, which means they would have to overcome a distance of 450km to the center and the did start at the eqator.
now as we have seen in the movie they also had to manouver around obstacles, so their speed was approximately what, like 100 km/h?
you see what i am going for? they would have needed about 4 1/2 hours even in straight line for the core and the same to get out.
i don't think that that ever took so long....

Why not build 100 DS1 instead of 1 DS2?
DS1 could destroy a planet. What could be stronger than destroying a planet?

I liked the original script for ROTJ where they were starting to mass produce regular sized Death Stars just because they could.

Destroying the Sun

Nice hivemind. I guess the answer is even back then George Lucas liked to ruin everytihng.

That would have been pretty cool.

Bigger than = Better than

How can the Rebels destroy a SUPER DEATH STAR?

>A dog fighting space vehicle goes slower then your average car
Look I'm not saying their made up numbers make sense but come on man.

>tfw you'll never see McQuarrie's Coruscant on screen

So much wasted potential.

There was even a Death Star III, in Star Tours.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_III

But yeah, according to wookiepedia, DS was 120km, and DSII 160km. So, not that much bigger.

In Km wtf? even that smaller one it's too fucking huge for a ship

We see it in TCW, at least.

why did they just blow coruscant up so easily

it wasn't Coruscant

the second death star was bigger? i thought they were building the exact same shit.

is giant floating circles really the best they can do

if it's that big and that heavy it should be spherical for stability / structural-integrity reasons

This is probably what i hated most from TFA. Another god damn Death Star, except this one is biggerer and badde- oh it exploded.

The whole movie felt like ANH with a few names and genders swapped around.

Why didn't just built a heavy spaceship and fly through that celestial body at lightspeed? Should also destroy this planet.

How the fuck was something as huge as the first death star able to travel faster than light / through hyperspace? They moved it to Yavin 4 from Alderaan or wherever almost as soon as they found out where the rebel base was.

Does this mean that the second death star would have been able to travel FTL as well, once completed?

Why does the left one look like complete shit? Is that really what they came up with in the new movie? It looks bland as fuck.

JJ has a small dick and he needs to compensate

The hell

Can you not fucking read? Follow a conversation? Are you really this fucking stupid?

destroying 5 planets at one time
im JJ btw. ask me anything

>le lets blow up 4 planets yo

But would 100 DS1 be stronger than Madara Uchiha?

I still can't get over how retarded star killer base is. Is the Trench like 300 kilometers deep and goes around half the planet? Why all the lights in the trench is it a city or did they think to just put window holes there to make it look more starwars?

just like the rest of the movie

TFA was pretty cool watching it the first time but god DAMN it was fucking shit the second

DUDE LETS DEDICATE LESS THAN 4 SECONDS TO THE DESTRUCTION OF 4 INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT AND POPULATED PLANETS LMAO

DUDE MUH AUTISTIC SON LMAO

DUDE MUH BOTOX LEA LMAO

DUDE REY KNOWS HOW TO DO EVERYTHING LMAO

JJ is a fucking hack. Boyega and Poe were the best parts of the movie, but they missed a huge opportunity to make an actually interesting character out of a storm trooper deserter.

God damn it.

Honestly time will pass and TFA will be seen as worse than Phantom Menace. Starkiller Base is THAT bad. The more I think about it the more I hate it.

This

Instead of coming up with an actual original fucking story they do the whole "blow up the space station" thing AGAIN for the third. fucking. time.

Fucking money grabbing Disney kikes.

>DUDE LETS DEDICATE LESS THAN 4 SECONDS TO THE DESTRUCTION OF 4 INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT AND POPULATED PLANETS LMAO

The next scene everybody was smiling and hugging and making quibs too

That image is totally false. The first and second Death Stars were 120 and 160 km in diameter, respectively, and Starkiller Base was 660 km.
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DS-1_Orbital_Battle_Station
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_2
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

jesus.......

Considering the phantom menace hate started the day it was released, this isn't likely

BIG JABBA DABBA DING DONGS

How did the Starkiller base get close enough to a star to suck it up without burning anything on the planet's surface?

Based on our current understanding of physics you can't even move a grain of fucking sand faster then the speed of light, how in the hell does this of all things bother you?

>JJ Abrams detected
It's alright JJ I heard they've got pills for that now.

How will autismo dissections of fictional stories make a difference in your life, make you happier, lead you to have more friends, more fulfilling relationships, know what a vagina feels like or not keep you from killing yourself eventually?

They didn't, it's ancient and they discovered it. The only work they had to do was get it operational and build their base there.

>ywn be this salty because people pointed out the flaws of your children's sci-fi movie
feels good man

>ripping off Centerpoint already
Even Disney wouldn't be so evil. The wiki article says the First Order built it.

Is this NuEU cannon?

See

More like a ripoff of the Sun Crusher mixed with the Star Forge.

they already had developed the technology. a real world example would be developing the nuke. the first one took many years to make, but after the first ones were made and you have the basic idea of how to make one you can mass produce them and make bigger more powerful ones.

>being this desperate to feel smart you nit pick kids movies hoping to prove to others you're smart
you might as well wear a sign that you're a retard playing make believe genius

>actually responding to someones response after your entire premise was that you were so cool and above it all compared to everyone else ITT
You done goofed friend.

Are the common people even accepting the new government?
I know I wouldn't be. They are clearly not able to do anything efficiently, otherwise they would have prevented the Death Star 2.0 from destroying the planets. Say about Sheev what you want, but at least he came into power legally and managed not to get any planets destroyed by some rebel group.
Also, let's not forget that 20 years after the rebels took over, the remnants of the empire manages to invade planets without any resistance.

The Empire was the right thing to be chosen.

A Benevolent Dictadorship is preferable to an Incompetent Republic.

>trying to get the last word in thinking this is a comeback that will save face after getting btfo and having no response
go on, do it again

because all the other ships in SW that traveled FTL at least had things that looked like engines propelling them, and had discernible front and rear ends of the ship.

We probably will considering how ardently they've been mining his unused concepts for TFA. It'll just be a planet with a different name.

>managed not to get any planets destroyed by some rebel group

He almost got Coruscant bombed to shit. Yeah, he was playing both sides but still, appearances.

More importantly, how can they rule an entire galaxy of quadrillion planets and a centralized government?
Even assuming ALL ships travel at the speed of the Millennium Falcon (they don't) it would take thousands upon thousands of year to go from one end of the galaxy to the other.

>being this retarded

>how can they rule an entire galaxy of quadrillion planets and a centralized government?

Think hundreds of planets tops, this isn't W40k. As for ruling, they have the biggest fleet and army and are more than willing to use it.

That was before he took over so Coruscant doesn't really count.

I always liked the idea that the ROTJ death star was a proof of concept prototype that was scrapped mid-way through production as the architects of the project learned more and more about super-scale space station construction, resulting in locking down an ever increasing number of ways to increase the efficiency of such a project, then partially salvaging the "prototype" for the final version. Then after the destruction of one death star, the prototype, still more than partially complete, was hastily reactivated.

Also starkiller base was built into a ice planetoid, like charon, and the only reason it had an atmopshere at all is because the first order sublimated so much ice to burrow out the space for the base.

According to the wiki, the second Death Star was 25% larger than the first, so this pic is not accurate at all.

Starkiller base was a previously existing planet that had much of the crust and mantle just rooted out and retrofitted with the superweapon.

will reading and feeling superior to all these autismo discussions make a difference in your life?

I thought the death star was based on the planet, which in turn was built during the dark ages of space travel, when the empire or the republic had yet to expand.

Because ds2 was way more accurate and could Nike capital ships

>third death star

Can't believe some here still defend that awul piece of shit, incredible.

TFA is not cannon.

GUNGAN'D

Something about this image gives me a sense of perverse catharsis. That somehow the presence of this annoying disgusting creature was never questioned by the spoiled sheltered princess's advisors and now she is letting it sully her purity.

Countless tall charismatic aristocrats conspire and compete just to get into the presence of a bride who rules millions. This is the woman who will turn Anakin to the dark side. The womb that will bear Luke and Leia. What is taking place is an abomination, and yet, for this reason, it is exactly something that ought to happen.

>implying the trade federation ship isn't the exact same setpiece as the death stars

Even George deliberately made it for the poetry. Stop pretending the prequels were """"original""""

At least Starkiller Base is just a plot device to get the characters together and the real climax is the lightsaber duel.

Yup. Even Meme Park shits on it for that but people still don't seem to care. I remember everyone saying "i-i-it's okay we'll let them get away with it just this once since we're desperate for a good SW flick". I bet those retards won't put their money with their mouth is. Rogue One looks embarrassingly bad.

Planet is super dense.

Kylo Ren isn't a problem whatsoever. He's already the best Star Wars Jedi faggot out of the autistic Skywalker family including Rey.

wait
the second death star wasnt just the first one in reconstruction?

oh shit

>implying the trade federation ship isn't the exact same setpiece as the death stars

In shape alone. The trade federation ship wasn't a superweapon and it was never a major target that the good guys were banking on taking out. They didn't know it was controlling the droids, Anakin just got lucky and shit worked out. Furthermore, even if your comparison worked, it only applies to 1 of the 3 prequels.

>the real climax is a 2 minute fight

hHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>In shape alone. The trade federation ship wasn't a superweapon and it was never a major target that the good guys were banking on taking out. They didn't know it was controlling the droids, Anakin just got lucky and shit worked out. Furthermore, even if your comparison worked, it only applies to 1 of the 3 prequels.

They DID know it was controlling the droids, that was the whole reason it was attacked in the first place.

and it's still "few dozen fighters attack a big space station and one set of torpedos in a week spot blows the whole thing up" the exact reason for the ship existing is just wookiepedia tier pedantic autism

The lightsaber duel is longer than the attack on Starkiller base, which is only about 3 minutes long

They're too slow for him.

You're full of shit. The Naboo fighters did not know of a "weak" spot for the control ship. They also weren't 100% certain the weapons on their fighters could penetrate the shields. What Anakin did was pure luck or will of the Force. The scene was more of a homage to the attack of the Death Star but aside from a few simirarties it has nothing in common with ANH or ROTJ. TFA straight up copies the trench run, and the fly threw the Death Star. The producers even admit TFA is a soft reboot.

>exact reason for the ship existing is just wookiepedia tier pedantic autism
What the hell is this even suppose to me?

>The lightsaber duel is longer than the attack on Starkiller base
It's shorter than ESB and around the same time as ROTJ.

>

>doing the exact same thing

DS2 900 kilometer size is fanon, I believe. It's more like 160 and DS1 is canonically 120 km.

But not too intelligent to shitpost, it seems.

>What the hell is this even suppose to me?

You're using reasons to justify the control ship in-universe as if the Star Wars universe were an actual real place and not a series of movies, which is what wookiepedia autistic children do

and the droid control ship was fucking designed to be a similar setpiece to the Death Star

this cut deep man

There was the new ending of rotj for the special edition was basically that. You only see it for a quick shot, but its what you're looking for.

I liked the coruscant we got in the prequels as a setting, unfortunately they squander it by doing nothing in the actual city besides the opening of aotc.

>Star Tours.
That shit was awesome. One of the few things about disneyland i remember was this and Captain Eo in 3D.

I also remember having my shit ruined at king kong, and when jaws pops out of the water at universal studios.

None of it makes any sense. Why would the entire galaxy allow them to build another doomsday weapon for the third fucking time?

The duel plus Han and Kylo scene. The whole Starkiller stuff was just a backdrop.

I'm not much into the movies or the lore but I know that the first death star was made so people wouldn't notice it (size of a moon) and the 2nd was made hastily since the rebellion was losing

The next one will be the galaxy crusher which shoots a laser so powerful it can blow up the universe. It will be the size of four large suns and it will knock planets out of the way as it moves.

Because the New Republic is weak and ineffectual and they don't want another war, plus according to wookiepedia autism the Starkiller was out in the hidden uncharted regions of space so no one knew about it

The galaxy is huge. They went to Unknown Regions and built it in secret.

>Benevolent

>planet surface looks completely barren from space, more featureless than Hoth
>land on planet
>trees and forests everywhere
Thanks JJ

Why would they for the third time have the same opening you can fly in to shoot one shot and explode it all?

Most of these "reasons" come from the cast and crew and it has to be explained because the plot demands it. The film tells us it's the central droid computer that controls all the battle droids. If it is destroyed, it will stop their army and scare Nute Gunray. Padme, Qui-Gon and even Obi-Wan explain this.

>and the droid control ship was fucking designed to be a similar setpiece to the Death Star
>similar = the same
No, user. Aside from the circular bulb and turbolaser, there is nothing similar to the droid control ship and Death star. Again, the scene features homages and is not a reinterpretation of ANH. It's similar but nothing like it. TFA remakes the entire trench run scene complete with the same weapons and vehicles used in ANH and ROTJ for no reason.

Bad metaphor. Unless they somehow came up with a way to speed up the construction process.

So where's all the outrage after blowing up a system? The star wars universe inhabitants just seem so apathetic.

I like the idea of mini-Death Stars wreaking havoc on the galaxy, sorta like the Tiger tanks in WW2. But I guess budget-wise this would have been a nightmare to film

Well, the opening had to be made from inside first

There are some woods and shit here and there

A better question is what the fuck is the First Order doing with all that energy? They found a way to harvest Star Energy and they're using it for weapons?

>he came into power legally
No he didn't. I think playing both sides in an extended civil war is something you go to jail for, assuming you don't become head of a facist regime that can erase all evidence afterwards. Just because he was voted in doesn't make his rule legitimate.

How does one build a Death-Star in the first place ?

>So where's all the outrage after blowing up a system?

I'm sure there was/will be outrage, it's just that TFA wasn't focused on the autistic space politics like the prequels.

It's not featureless. It has great 90's era default noise texture maps on it.

Kinda like No Man's Sky

Are you familiar with the Soviet obsession with "bigger is better"?

They kept cranking out useless, fuckhuge shit because they wanted to.

I figure the empire is the same.I mean, Star Destroyer to Super Star Destroyer seems excessive.

And apathy is death.

What episode was that?

They actually went much, much smaller for that ability.

>excessive
When you have starship that can suppress solar systems, things start to make sense. A

how can you be so ignorant about basic history?

>ywn be put down by Kreia while she pegs you
WL?

>Legends Continuity
What're you smoking?

Oh great, the ice cream cone with the satellite dish approach. Fantastic.

I wonder which one I'd shoot first. The guy who came up with the concept or the guy that design the ship. If it's the same, he deserves a firing squad.

Season 2, Episode 14: Duchess of Mandalore.

so you say you can manover a vehice bigger than a bus with 500 km/h thru tunnes only i bit wider than you ship?
good luck with that...

You're moms cock.

Ships have artificial gravity. Is it too much of a stretch for planets to have it too? Especially a planet that has a giant super weapon built into it.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Monument_Plaza
>Monument Plaza was located on the ecumenopolis world of Coruscant. It was composed in a square and had four, large cone shaped statues which were lit[2] around the planet's only uncovered mountain peak in the center of park.[3] Shops and restaurants surrounded the plaza on all four sides,[2] while citizens could touch the peak itself.[3]

I'm not sure how I feel about multiple super weapons? It sort of seems like a lack of ideas, but (much like the atom bomb) why would you stop making them?

Why indeed.

Whats next for huge super weapons in Star Wars? A weaponized super massive black hole?

The only way, ONLY WAY, more super weapons would have worked is if the Republic had one too and they were in a Cold War scenario with the Third Order about who would use it first and then the Third Order used theirs first. It would tied in with earth history with what happened between the US and the Ruskies, except if the Ruskies actually nuked the US.

Rey will be able to collapse entire star systems with the force in episode 9.

There's the evil sith pyramid laser thing in Rebels too.

Thanks Luca... Disney!

But they were human, non-force-sensitive pilots. Any faster than that and they wouldn't have been able to navigate the pipes and turns and stuff.

In fact 100km still would have been way too fast, especially for a 5hr trip. 10 hours if you count the return journey.

Ten. Hours.

And that's constant vigilant aerobatic flying in close quarters being pursued by enemies.

Were Lando and Wedge on fucking PCP?

Agreed. It's the ugliest spaceship design ever concieved.

Gets me every time.

>I have turned the entire galaxy into a giant death laser! - Darth Abrams

There were also long straight sections of the tube, where they were clearly going full-throttle.

>Tfw you realise that the amount of materials and man power required to create ANY of those could easily have won the war if they simply used all that to make warships

Another reason why the Clone Wars is simply a better wartime narrative than any of the sequel shit.

What does it destroy?

True, but the Empire was at peace for the most part between episodes 3 and 4. I'm sure they had enough materials and (slave) labor to build a few Death Stars while still maintaining a fleet.

It wasn't a war really. The Rebels where Insurgents

What is left of the Star Wars franchise!

My nigga.

Eh I liked the Starkiller. Huge Megastructures with silly purposes are my thing.
Shame they blew it up in the first fucking film AGAIN. Seriously I was happy with a lot of TFA but they should have left the base running for future tension. But then again theyd have to do another daring blow up the base mission later anyway so I dunno.

vulu zhuong galaxy

That would be pretty terrifying indeed.

don't forget that for loading the weapon you destroy a star

The Mexican population grew exponentially from Ep 6 to 7

>in the dramatic conclusion to the new Trilogy, Rey must use her untapped potential to control several newfound deathstars through sheer will of the force and the power of womyn to defeat the clone army of Palpatine. Fate hangs in the balance!

Vote now on the exclusive iPhoneâ„¢ app to decide the future victor. Will Rey overcome the patriarchy and bring balance to the force once and for all, or will Snoke and his Palpatine army bring down a new age of galactic darkness.

Vote now!

We're gonna build a super weapon and it's gonna be great. When it comes to super weapons, I'm the best. Just ask Sean Hannity.

why didn't the nuempire just stay in the "unknown region" and rule there?

Because EVIL!

Stronger than normal madara uchiha no doubt.

It'd be nice if the Resistance had at least crippled Star Killer base and had to escape. Then it would still be around for the other movies getting repaired and still be a threat.

Yeah, so Death Star 3 would be present in two more movies! Awesome!

Because gotta crush dem jedis

Why didn't the Nazi party just stay in Germany?

Poland was rightful German clay.

They did that on purpose and this has been stated multiple times.

MEESA LIKE

They did it in phantom menace too just at a smaller scale you absolute retard

this doesn't make any sense. It would be more like if the nazis were deposed, fled to south america, spent 40 years making a new empire then attacked the u.n.

At some point you have to accept your losses and move along.

>jj 'idk make it bigger lol' abrams

Third Order doesn't really have anything better to do.

>meanwhile features cut from darth vaders suit due to budget constraints

Please tell me this is referring to the force unleashed games and not rouge one....

I like the shameless ripoffs from ANH
The movie says to the audience: "you're dumb enough to fall for this shit"

variety.com/2016/film/news/adam-driver-star-wars-episode-8-empire-strikes-back-1201859717/
Adam Driver: 'Star Wars: Episode 8' Similar to 'Empire Strikes Back'

You think to yourself "what is the most hackiest way to make the next movie". And then they do exactly that.

>only digging that hole would take incredible amount of workforce and money

Streamlined construction, Wookiee slaves, and I shit you not, force fuckery

Alderaan was super important too but that didn't matter in the first movie

Kylo Ren is a treasure and was one of TFA's best features

Apparently Rey was actually tapping into the dark side for a good portion of the movie without realizing it. I know that's a bullshit explanation since it wasn't ever pointed out in the movie, but they couldn't make her all red and evil glowy looking when she was doing it, and at the very least it opens up some interesting plot hooks for the future

TFA was ultimately Fine. It wasn't great, but it introduced enough elements to make me interested in seeing if they waste their potential or not sort of like Star Trek 09.

The movie explained this: "Fear, will keep them in line"

Basically Palpatine wanted to swing his massive dick around and intimidate the rest of the republic into being good little citizens. There's no chance of brave and noble sacrifice or martyrdom if his God Machine comes along and vaporizes the entire planet.

your point doesn't really make any sense and the logic is completely fucked up. You don't need to use faulty logic to find reasons to hate TFA

You'd think that space 9/11 would have gotten the republic's guard up about someone trying to construct a similar weapon. But nope. No one got wind of this planetary engineering marvel of unprecedented scale.

So i guess their plan was to hope that the order would never construct a death star.

This

Don't forget phantom menace, this is the FOURTH time a space station has been blown up

The giant crystal that focuses the beam was rare. Only two as far as I know.

>Erased the republic
>backdrop

Now Hack Hack Abrams gets the replay the cool underdog story again.