Why do you think people find the supernatural elements of Lynch's work so effective, Cred Forums?

Why do you think people find the supernatural elements of Lynch's work so effective, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Laf8bhSeGNY
youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good editing, probably. He works on editing more than most directors, obviously. This might seem weird, but it's the hardest part of the movie since half of most movies production deals with this. year of filming, year of editing.

He's very good at what he does. Creating a strong surreal vibe within his films is his strongest suit. As for making a comprehensive story that aligns with the surreal aspects, that's where his film making has always been questionable. I've never personally taken umbrage with either aspect but I know a lot of people get very into the "BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!" aspect and miss everything else that's done so well. Sort of like going to an art gallery and staring only at a single figure in a large composition and then complaining that you didn't understand it.

I have noticed that, while there's a lot of 'horror' elements in his work (or at least things that could be classified as horror), he definitely doesn't edit like a typical horror director.

they don't, most people (even on Cred Forums) like it as a high school drama/soap opera. you can see that in the fact 90% of the posts here about twin peaks are about the waifus and high school kids, and people much preferring season 1 to 2

To be fair, Twin Peaks almost seems to have two separate fan bases. One who like the soap opera element, and the other who like the supernatural/surreal stuff. Each group saying that Twin Peaks would be better if it had less of the other stuff.

Or maybe it's because the soap opera parts are a bulk of the show in the first place

that is true, personally I think it's fine how it is, my only issue is the length of season 2 (i.e. filler) which was probably out of lynch's hands to an extent anyway

of course they are, but people engage with the soap opera and the surreal and supernatural elements are just kinda there. in the hype for season 3 I've seen very little discussion of the latter, despite the huge cliffhanger it was left on

>I've seen very little discussion of the latter
You haven't been looking enough then

They're not over explained and demystified by spergian "rules", but also have a feeling of internal logic that makes them more than just superficial surrealism.

This is one of the reasons I find Lost Highway to be his best film. The scenes in the desert have such an amazingly surreal dreamlike quality to them, and how they can change from a dream to nightmare so quick is almost too realistic. For example the scene between Alice and Pete, from how it's shot to how the soundtrack fits in with how it's edited and the build up from this beautiful dreamy scene as though it's seen through headlights and gauze to the sudden realization that what was a dream is really a nightmare. There's so much emotion in that one scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=Laf8bhSeGNY

I think that's why I like a lot of the surreal horror stuff in Lynch's work. He manages to blend it in with the 'normal' and 'everyday' stuff in such a way that you can't even really see the join.

The Mystery Man arriving at the party is a case in point:

youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

Whatever you say, user, if people liked Twin Peaks for the surreal or supernatural elements his last few films would have had more of an audience. especially domestically.

Popularity on Cred Forums ≠ Popularity in real life

That scene is ridiculously sexy.

>tfw will never have passionate desert sex with prime Patricia Arquette

Remind me why people were surprised Robert Blake was a murderer IRL again.

I'm not talking about Cred Forums, I'm talking about box office. Though the mediums make it a difficult comparison, for a while Twin Peaks was one of the most popular shows of its time, and Lost Highway and Inland Empire were basically non-existent in domestic box office

She has top tier taste in rooty tooty point and shooty's too.

>Implying a surrealistic horror-esque David Lynch movie would ever get good box office

That's exactly my point. If people liked the surreal elements so much, they would have seen his more surreal films

People have, retard
There's people even discussing ITT.

I don't even see your point with Twin Peaks when there's not even that big of a fanbase

>People have, retard
I'm talking about the general audience, that has been made clear already >I don't even see your point with Twin Peaks when there's not even that big of a fanbase
To use an example, its lowest audience was on par with Game of Thrones' average, its highest was over four times higher than GoT's highest. It was at one point ABC's highest rated show within a four year radius

Anyone else pre-order the Secret History of Twin Peaks audiobook? It comes out in like two weeks and is read by members of the cast and supposedly covers a lot of the events between the finale and the new season plus all the shit before. I'll get the physical copy eventually but I wanted the audiobook because it's like a radio drama by the cast.

You can get it for free if you sign up for the one month free audible trial, use your free credit to pre order, and then cancel the subscription before you get charged for a full month. Don't alert the Jews to this loophole.

>The Secret History of Twin Peaks enlarges the world of the original series, placing the unexplained phenomena that unfolded there into a vastly layered, wide-ranging history, beginning with the journals of Lewis and Clark and ending with the shocking events that closed the finale. The perfect way to get in the mood for the upcoming Showtime series.
Oh those FUCKERS, I thought it was going to cover the 25 year gap. Damn it

Son of a bitch they said it was going to be the stuff in between too before. Oh well, it still should be interesting.