What went so right? How the fuck did the Lord of the Rings, the nerdiest thing around...

What went so right? How the fuck did the Lord of the Rings, the nerdiest thing around, become so popular in the mainstream in the early 2000s, when nerdy things weren't cool yet? And then won a fucking Best Picture Oscar?

Epics have been popular for thousands of years m8

It wasn't nerdy... Nerdy things in the early twenty first century were not fantasy related.. LOTR made them nerdy. Almost everyone had read LOTR at some stage in their life - those who read that is, even my dad, who doesn't read, got me into reading by giving me his copies of LOTR.

It won best picture because it is a great movie, in both end product and creation.

Pro tip: Don't rewatch it.

Because I made the mistake of rewatching (last time I saw it was when I was 17, 23 now) and it doesn't hold up. Some of the acting is cringe inducing, lots of the special effects don't hold up and date the movie. It almost feels more like a 1990s film rather than an early 2000s film. Gollum is starting to show his age (in terms of cgi) and don't even get me started on the battle scenes. Stiff, shaky cam, and tone breaking. Like Legolas sliding down a staircase on a shield in a very serious moment and then the music gets all fun and light hearted.

Let your nostalgic love for this film stay with your younger more naive self. I warn you. Hold onto that feeling as long as you can.

a good story and good actors

Acting that was melodramatic but sincere, a fantastic orchestral score that struck all the right notes, a seamless marriage of practical and visual effects, and an international production effort that brought a beloved but allegedly un-filmable story to the screen. It was an underdog story, simple as that.

kys.

As far as I know it's a/tv/ thing to re-watch these films yearly.

This is not an accepted opinion, its your opinion, but it's fucking dumb, m8. Of course the CGI is aging, if you judge a movie on it's CGI and CGI alone - well shit I am done posti-

That's odd. It seems the more I watch it, the better it gets. Nothing like watching a few random scenes on a rainy night, after a warm shower and a shitty day at work.

It didn't the academy is worthless. Only fellowship is good stop making this same thread

I know what you mean. The cgi is forsure starting to show it's age. Also, in this day and age it's kinda distracting watching a film starring 99% white men with only 2 relevant female characters that also happened to be white. I don't even necessarily care about the movie being all men, but even then it's all white men, including the elves and dwarves.

He's right its entirely overrated the acting directing edition pacing cinematography progression is hack

Good for you for having some taste

That's what I used to do when I was thirteen but its aged badly and that was years ago

>the acting directing edition pacing cinematography progression is hack

It's because most of the actors are white which enrages liberals

kek, give up you clown. We all know the tlotr movies are garbage both now and when they were released.

3 years of pre production
1.5 years of filming
1-6 more years of editing (depending on the film, they were all filmed at the same time but released years apart)
after rotk won an oscar they went back and filmed another scene

movies today dont have that kind of time commitment

Why reply to yourself?

1-4 more years of editing*
dont know how i fucked that one up

Well shit, I just don't know anymore.

Kek.

You are a phone poster
AND you are samefagging from your PC?

Just wow man.

>BAAWW all these white people

LOTR is a fantasy based on European folklore. There is nothing wrong with everyone being white.

If they made a fantasy epic based on African folklore and it included even a single white person lefites would lose their shit.

In the english-speaking world perhaps, but beyond that LOTR is totally nerdy.

>but beyond that LOTR is totally nerdy.
That's my point.. It is now, it wasn't though. Reading as a whole was considered 'nerdy'.

I think it was nerdy from day 1 in other cultures. It didn't make nearly as much noise beyond english cultures. Children don't read The Hobbit in the rest of the world. Hell, the only Silmarillion french translation ever made wasn't even proof read and is full of typos.

Oddly enough, sci-fi is tolerated much more in my culture.

You're an outlier here

nice bait faggot. I rewatch this like once a year. kys

i cant tell between irony and actual opinions on Cred Forums anymore

Does it bother anyone else that the same dads who laughed at your dad because you had a lord of the rings lunchbox all get together for game of thrones themed dinner parties and season premiere youtube reaction videos?

American society is so fucking weird