Worst Ghibli movie. Prove me wrong

Worst Ghibli movie. Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wisYdURCU6o&index=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Worst meme.
Prove me wrong.

Tales from Earthsea, Pom Poko, and (if it counts) Castle of Cagliostro exist.

Also, if you count it, Takahata had an obscure film from the 60s called The Little Norse Prince that is worse than any of the official Ghibli movies.

2deep4u

Funny how the film has the depth of a puddle when compared to any of Miyazaki's earlier movies. Even Porco Rosso provides a more realised world and set of characters than Howl's.

it really is a sport shitting on earthsea still?

ponyo is dogshit

Yeah it sucks

Yeah I didn't like it

I actually don't think Earthsea is as bad as the reviews make it out to be, but I do think every other Ghibli movie is better. Do you honestly think Earthsea is better than Howl's Moving Castle?

I would say Pom Poko and Cat Returns are both way more of a mess than both Earthsea and Howl

This and people who pretend to like it are worse than ass cancer.

Out of what I've seen

Mononoke > Spirited Away > Porco Rosso > Castle in the Sky > Nausicaa >>> Howl's >>>>>> Ponyo

ass canccer is acctually a pretty treatable and mild cancer

Well I guess it's still fitting because it's not the worst movie I've ever seen or even close, but when you compare it to Totoro and Kikki its hard for me to believe the same man made these two child-like wonder films and then made Ponyo.

Ponyo is a mediocre concept that anyone in Japan could have made. It was the first and only time one of his major works felt extremely derivative of basically everything else out at the time.

go back to your DC shill thread

Since you've started the (you) machine, I'll post mine.

Whisper of the Heart > The Tale of the Princess Kaguya > Spirited Away > Only Yesterday > Grave of the Fireflies > Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind > Kiki's Delivery Service > My Neighbor Totoro > Princess Mononoke > The Wind Rises > From Up on Poppy Hill > Castle in the Sky > Howl's Moving Castle > My Neighbors the Yamadas > Arrietty > Ponyo > Porco Rosso > The Cat Returns > When Marnie Was There > Tales from Earthsea > Pom Poko

howls is like mid tier ghibli. better than earthsea, pom poko, cat returns etc but not close to comparable with the better stuff like mononoke, the wind rises, gotf & only yesterday. it sits just below nausicaa and spirited away imo

Castle of Cagliostro is COMFY tier as hell, objectively wrong.

Grave of the Fireflies > The Wind Rises > Howl's Moving Castle > Spirited Away > Princess Mononoke > Castle in the Sky > Ponyo > My Neighbor Totoro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nausicaa

objective list

grave of the fireflies 10/10
spirited away 10/10
castle in the sky 10/10
nausicaa 10/10
howl's castle 10/10
mononoke 10/10
ponyo 8/10
porco rosso 9/10
totoro 8/10
wind rises 7.5/10
pom poko 6/10
arrietty 6/10
earthsea trash/10

haven't seen the rest

Monoke>Castle in the Sky>Porco Rosso>Spirited Away>Howl's Moving Castle>>>>>>>>>>>>>Grave of the Fireflies

>Kiki's Delivery Service

Finally, someone who recognizes qt kino

>nausicaa
>10/10

Tales from Earthsea is boring, at least Pom Poko was more cutesy.

What didn't you like about it?

I read the manga and it's a lot better, but I still loved the movie

Pom poko is great

Back in my day, prove me wrong could get you banned for a couple days.

I don't know, nothing was inherently wrong with in terms of filmmaking, but nothing about it was to my taste.

It hits too close to Disney's formula, and I didn't watch it until 2 years ago, so that isn't a great mix.

If you have the patience to read the manga online, I recommend it

the movie ends after the first act of the Manga and things really take an interesting twist as the story develops

Personally though I feel like the "Disney formula" is present in all ghibli films, and it's not a bad thing from my perspective

Nausicaa is more like a 7. It's still one of my favorite films of all time, but upon some recent rewatchings I have some issues that I feel really bring the film down:

>Why is Nausicaa the only person who has an insect charm?
>Why does Nausicaa have this inexplicable ESP that links her to the insects?
>Where does the legend on the tapestry come from? Who originally told it?
>Why did they leave Kushana alone when they knew she could detach her limbs?
>When Nausicaa is flying her glider in the clouds to escape the Tolmekian ship, how did she not get shot?
>When Nausicaa is using the glider to fly around the Pejite soldiers carrying the baby ohm, how did she not take a bullet to the chest when she was flying straight at them?

These seem like minor offenses, but when you stop to scrutinize these aspects it kinda gets silly to give it a 10/10.

I haven't seen all of them but Ponyo is worse than this, still good though.

Idk, I don't really like this line of reasoning, just because something is unexplained doesn't mean it's a plot hole or a problem

I don't think nausicaa is the only person with an insect charm

she has ESP with bugs because she opens her heart to all living creatures

the legend is passed down through the generations, this is partially explained in the manga and I'm not sure a movie really should be explaining the legends of a society, that's not good world building, you focus on the present and let the past be a mystery for the sake of the story

She doesn't get shot in the clouds because she is so in tune with the wind that nobody can keep their sights on her

>I don't think nausicaa is the only person with an insect charm
The film doesn't show us otherwise. You'd think something like that, which can herd an Ohm back to the jungle as well as that flying thing would be plentiful as fuck.

>she has ESP with bugs because she opens her heart to all living creatures
Sounds like some Pixar or Disney thing.

>the legend is passed down through the generations, this is partially explained in the manga and I'm not sure a movie really should be explaining the legends of a society, that's not good world building, you focus on the present and let the past be a mystery for the sake of the story
They bring it up enough that it becomes "who the fuck told the story?" It's a tad minor but the film would lose absolutely nothing if you took it out.

>She doesn't get shot in the clouds because she is so in tune with the wind that nobody can keep their sights on her
Look at this my man. Look at it.

don't bully cagliostro I love rupan

castle of cogliostro is fucking rad

Am I the only one who didn't like Spirited Away?

>I read the manga

Omg, kys

Princess Mononoke
Ponyo
Arrietty

The insect charm isn't enough to stop rampaging ohms normally, nausicaa has special powers

It doesn't sound like Disney it sounds like Japanese mythology, if you have respect for nature and the patience to understand it the spirits of nature won't be hostile to you

I apprciated the legend, it shows that the people who have hope for the future, they believe in peace with the toxic jungle

Why? Are you against manga as a thing?

Don't be a faggot.

I guess we each made out points. I don't hate the movie. Hell I just watched the intro right now and almost got sucked into watching it for the umpteenth time. I just don't think it's a 10/10.

The manga's pretty great, although I only read the first two volumes.

It's only the worst Miyazaki movie. The worst in all of Ghibli is Ocean Waves.

Fair enough I mean I'm not the one who said it was 10/10, it has flaws, it feels rushed after reading the mangas

I def recommend finishing the manga fm because the final volumes are incredible

>My nigga

Although Porco Rosso is way too low. I'd put it just below Princess Mononoke.

Pom Poko and Cagliostro are both kino you pleb

Ponyo has great visuals, but the story is shit and most of it occurs offscreen with no explanation so we can listen to "PONYO LOVES SOSUKE" indefinitely and watch his mother be a shit parent.

But it is. The movie goes to shit when they take in the old witch lady, at which point it stops making sense and shit just happens.

It literally feels like he got two thirds the way through the book, saw the runtime, said "oh shitu," but didn't want to cut anything so he wrote his own slapdash ending 5 minutes before the script was due and called it a day.

>"oh shitu,"
Made me chuckle. But yes, that is how he made films. He and his team would make it up as they went along. You can see this process in some of the Spirited Away behind the scenes/making of. He explains that they'd just keep drawing and eventually it would come to them.

Earthsea has to be the weakest movie
NausicaƤ i dont like because he tried to finish the story of the manga while still being 15 years away from actually finishing it so it felt rushed misses out on actual developement

Cagliostro was great.

Pom Poko was great.

The Little Norse Prince was actually kino, not in the "everything on Cred Forums is kino" meme way, but in the unironic "one of the best animated adventures on film" way.

Tales from EarthSea was weird as shit, but it was also interesting and worldbuilding.

Howl's Moving Castle somehow managed to take one of the comfiest fantasies ever written and turn it into yet another Studio Ghibli film about why war is bad, while also totally removing the things that made the book so great (slow, relaxed pacing that took it's time with characters and scenes, emphasizing the connections that would later on become important.)

I honestly do not know how Miyazaki could have admired Wynne Jones's writing so much, yet totally whiffed what made it great by turning a slow, quiet story into an action flick. It's even more mind-boggling once you realize that Miyazaki is famous for doing slow, quiet works with emphasis on characters and writing. It should have been a match made in heaven, and he somehow royally fucked it up.

Maybe the Iraq War was giving him a rageboner.

>The Little Norse Prince

I'll watch it this weekend and then make a thread about it. Thanks.

It's exactly this. He didn't set foot in the United States since the Iraq War started until a few years ago.

Mamoru Hosoda(wolf children) was originally directing howls, miyazaki fired him coz he didnt like his story boards and style.

>Worst Ghibli movie.
>Has the best score.

Also the world design was superb.
You just sound stupid, pham.

These is no such a thing as worst Ghibli movie.

Depth of a puddle? Did you miss the part where this film was about countries going to war with each other and about propaganda and the role of art in times of war?

>and the role of art in times of war?

Can you elaborate?

this

Out of the miyazaki films howls disappointed me the most
Havnt seen ponyo

I first started watching ghibli films around 2002 2003
When i heard there was a new one coming out (hows moving castle) i was super excited
Man did it just suck

I believe what he meant is that you can consider Howl as a scientist or an artist maybe, maybe even as a metaphor on how Miyazaki sees himself in the 'castle' he built for himself with Ghibli.

If that's the case then it wasn't very good at doing that.

You guys are plebs then.

This is correct.

Ponyo is the worst Ghibli

Those are Kiki and Grave of the Fireflies

So... Ghibli ranking thread?

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totorro
Nausicaa
Howl's Moving Castle

That's all I've seen so far, but Princess Mononoke is definitely his best.

1. Spirited Away
2. When Marnie was there
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Tale of Princess Kaguya
6. My Neighbor Totoro
7. Only Yesterday(best Ghibli ending)
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. The Cat Returns
10. Nausicaa
11. Porco Rosso
12. Pom Poko
13. Ponyo
14. Tales from Earthsea
15. Wind Rises
16. Whisper of the Heart
17. Ocean Waves
18. From up on Poppy Hill
19. The secret world of Arrietty
20. Grave of the Fireflies

Haven't watched Yamadas(the style put me off) and I never made it past the half hour mark with Kiki. I don't count Cagliostro as a Ghibli film.

Fuck anyone who doesn't like Pom Poko

Pom poko is kino guy, its comfy and endearing

>porco rosso above spirited away
muh nigga

The only one of thsoe listed thats worse than HMC was TFES, the other two are better.

Watched the Tale of Princess Kaguya recently, and while it lulled a bit in the middle and was too long, the ending was amazing. Such a great choice for music also

youtube.com/watch?v=wisYdURCU6o&index=2

okay, Ill meme too
from worst to best
The Cat Returns
Tales of earth sea
Caligastro
Totoro
Yamadas
Poppy Hill
Howl
Ponyo
Whispers of the heart
Mononoke
Porco
Kaguya
SEN TO CHAHIRO
Nausica
Fireflys
Only yesterday
Wind rises
Pom Poko
Marnie

Marnie is the best ghibi

Yamadas isn't bad, but it's different.

I really like the beginning sketch where they depict the wedding and marriage. That's really well done, but the rest of it is more akin to a Saturday morning cartoon in terms of story and animation.

The ending is pretty good too.

Here I go.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya>Spirited Away>Grave of the Fireflies>Only Yesterday>Princess Mononoke>The Wind Rises>Porco Rosso>>My Neighbor Totoro>When Marnie Was There>Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind>Whisper of the Heart>Castle in the Sky>Kiki's Delivery Service>The Secret World of Arrietty>Castle in the Sky>The Castle of Cagliostro>Howls Moving Castle>My Neighbors the Yamada's>Ocean Waves>Pom Poko>From Up on Poppy Hill>Ponyo>Tales From Earthsea>Cat Returns

Although I at least like them all and love most of them.

I found the Yamadas an interesting spotlight on Japanese family culture and humor
that being said, most of the jokes didnt make sense as a foreigner

The visuals alone though put it higher than it should otherwise be.

You need to respect your inner child a little more, but you are on point w/r/t Nausicaa.