ITT: Films only smart people appreciate

ITT: Films only smart people appreciate.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L_8t2VlwK4w
youtu.be/Ij1eWjmM5dE?t=134
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

:^)

Nice b8 OP, but Nolan movies are the most reddit normalfag tier pseudo-intellectual bullshit I've ever seen.
I am looking forward to Dunkirk though, assuming he doesn't pull an Interstellar and try to pepper it with his retarded soapboxing about muh Power Of Love (Huey Lewis and the News).

there's only one nolan movie that even comes close to qualifying lad

don't fuck it up again

>only smart people can understand how love is a fundamental force of the universe

The worst movie of Nolan desu, and thats considering that Nolan isn't the best director around there...

With that said, that part when they arrive to that planet was pretty impressive, they actually achieved to make it look like an actual alien planet.

I wish this movie was never made.
It makes me angry that sometimes I waste resources and thought to this piece of shit film.

Even the score is repetitive or straight up wrong because Nolan thought he was soo smart for preventing Zimmer from actually looking at the movie or script to understand what was going on.

One of the songs are supposed to be dark (due to context once you watch the film and know what the song name is referring to) but Zimmer didn't know this and instead made it cheerful.
This is also the only time he got upset with the final product and had a bunch of different variations of songs because he was pissed Nolan wasn't helping him out and almos got into legal trouble for trying to give fans one of his revised versions.

And then there's the fact that Christopher Nolan isn't behind the script.
It was his brother who rewrote everything because Christopher's first draft was literally Avatar 2 on crack.

Remember that every time you see an Interstellar thread, remember to shit on it.
Fucking pleb trash.

This film is mediocre.

Watch more films you undercooked sap

bad meme

Are you retarded? How the fuck couldn't you understand a movie made by Chris "the exposer" Nolan?

Love and destiny had nothing to do with it - the characters just thought it did. Murphy was a supergenius, like the Albert Einstein of their century. The future humans knew that she was the one who saved the human race, but like everyone else just thought that she had figured it out herself. At some point, the future humans discovered that it wouldn't have been possible for Murphy to do what she did without their help and built the wormhole. They picked Cooper to deliver the message since they couldn't pinpoint the place in time they needed to be in order to talk to Murphy.

No sappy love involved, but I could see how the characters, being in the situation they were in, would think that there was some sort of magical force at work. In reality, they were all being used by the future fourth dimensional humans.

Kill yourself retard

One of the worst posts Ive ever seen.

>most reddit normalfag tier pseudo-intellectual bullshit
Don't blame him that his movies got popular. While they did start becoming pseudo-intellectual and normie tier with Inception, they weren't always like that.

It might be baby's first known director, that doesn't diminish his movies.

But yea, Interstellar is his weakest.

>he didnt understand the movie and the proceeds to bash it and thereby proving OP's point

Ironic

>it's a hate Nolan contrarian thread

Kill yourselfs. It's one thing not to like a movie but calling it the worst movie you have seen just proves you're a contrarion with nothing to bring to this discussion.

What about Brazil?

I know a retard that really likes Interstellar.

>for some reason thinks I defend it and not just stating facts

Retard. If you can understand fucking Nolan you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. Nor more to it.

Can't*

More irony.

Do you even know what irony means retard or are you just damage controlling?

this

its babbys firt special relativity lesson and exposition machine

nolan is such a shitty director its not even funny

and the reason they needed cooper and murph, rather than simply delivering the messages themselves, is because cooper's love for murph was necessary to guide him to the proper coordinates in the tesseract.

For the movie establishes the future humans had attempted to communicate directly, but couldn't make themselves understood without any sort of love connection.

Then you have brand's love for edmund pulling her to his planet before he could die in a rockslide.

Are you retarded? They chose Cooper and Murph because of their relationship yes, but it's had nothing to do with love being a force. They chose them because they were the perfect pair for it. Cooper having the most experience in the field and Murph being shown to be extremely intelligent together with the fact that the only way to actually pass information through the black hole was through gravtiational waves which made the clock the only viable option which also was a stepping stone in their relationship since she got it before Cooper left.

And Brand missing Edmund was nothing more than that. Edmund was long dead when she had that conversation with Cooper and that black dude.

If love wasn't a force, they could've just delivered the data themselves.

The 5th dimensional beings couldn't find a specific time in space since time is just another dimension. Murph and Cooper were in the 3rd dimension and wa sbecause of this able to pinpoint a time in space. Nothing more to it.

Contrarions should be killed

>it's a retard being mad that a sci fi is not 100% accurate post

>its babbys first special relativity lesson and exposition machine

This

TARS, set cheesy melodramatic bullshit to 100%

Which would mean they didn't need coop to deliver the message and could've just done it themselves.

Are you seriously this fucking dense? THEY COULDN'T BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO PINPOINT A SPECIFIC EVENT IN SPACE TIME AND BECAUSE OF THIS COULD NOT DELIVER A MESSAGE IN ANY WAY. NOT EVEN THROUGH GRAVITATIONAL WAVES WHICH COOPER WAS ABLE TO.

Jesus, idiot

Was worth it for this

lmao

and how was cooper able to deliver the message? Why his love for murph and her love for him of course.

Nah, that's just kip trying to avoid being a laughing stock for having his name connected to this schlock.

Hes a laughing stock anyway for other reasons though.

I honestly never cared much for Nolan movies the only one I liked was Memento and The Dark Knight. Inception is okay but other than that I find him kind of an okay director but not amazing.

> tfw no luftwaffe bombing montage set to hip to be square

>tfw to smart too like interstellar

1. TDK
2. Prestige
3. Momento
4. Batman begins
5. Inception
6. Interstellar
7. Insomnia
8. TDKR

sounds like me
what the fuck. kip is such a faggot

hehe triggered much?!?!? BWAAHAHAHHAHAHAA IMA FUCK YOU HARRRDDD

>Love has no evolutionary advantage, it must be a force that transcends time and space
I feel like this movie was made specifically to piss me off.

Bait-The Thread.

This was pretentious garbage.

Interstellar is hard science fiction.

A movie that one must be intelligent to apprecriate requires a connection between the visual language and storytelling that creates a mood, pace, tone, and atmosphere (among other things) that otherwise could not be achieved in a seperate medium. Interstellar is not this.

>Even the score

Stopped reading right there.

>Dude love is magic lmao

The score is the worst part of Interstellar, it's like Nolan is beating the audience over their head telling them how to feel.

Stick to imdb kid

Love is the intricate bonds humans have with one another. It's what allowed Coop to know his daughter to would be able to decipher his message and what allowed the bulk beings to save humanity with as little influence as possible. The more the future influences the past the less stable the time loop becomes.

>it's like a soundtrack doing what it's supposed to

k

I thought it was pretty good desu

Then again I don't go out to the cinema often so I guess my view may have been distorted by that

Score is indubitly one of the most important parts of a film.

Whether it's a silent film, a disney movie or a thriller, the score is relevant.

Soundtracks are meant to supplement the visuals, not completely overwhelm them and drown out literally everything else that is going on.

Interstellar has the most obnoxious soundtrack.

see

>tfw too intelligent for films

No, you are wrong.

Dude the plot makes no sense lets just handwave it all away by saying love did it.

BRAVO NOLAN

I hate it when covers have nothing to do with the content. Like a mountain sized head just laying there? Really?

It's a 70s SF movie with 2014 technology and an enormous budget. Great movie for adults to enjoy.

You have waves the size of mountains and a station spinning out of control. If you thought music could drown that out, you really had no interest in the scenes whatsoever.

youtube.com/watch?v=L_8t2VlwK4w

The plot made sense. Bulk beings are the descendents of humanity and they are shoring up their timeline by ensuring humanity doesn't go extinct. They do this by providing humanity a wormhole to a black hole and a means for anyone that enters the black hole to communicate the data back to Earth.

2/10

Adults who go out to the cinema with the notion that they are going to see a "smart" movie. Aka philistines.

I didnt even realize he directed that.

Literally 10/10 movie

>you really had no interest in the scenes whatsoever

I really didn't. This movie was the most boring non-sensical piece of shit i've ever seen. I don't even know why i went to see it at the cinemas after hating that piece of shit Inception, maybe i thought Nolan could actually make an interesting film out of the premise of Interstellar travel. But no, Nolan is such a hack he made a movie about travelling to a different solar system boring.

I dunno. Seems like if we're going that far we could make them just do anything. I mean why couldn't they leave a message in English if they could not only travel back in time but also create a black hole and place it exactly where they wanted? Seems kinda silly to me. The movie was cool but there's really no reason for what happened if you believe the explanation about it being future descendants of humanity creating the time loop.

>watch this piece of shit because my friends were going
>halfway through
>huh this actually isnt bad for nolan
>"love is the only power that can transcend time and space"
>ok at least the other characters told her to fuck off maybe it still wont be bad i hope
>keeps getting worse
>he goes through a black hole, back in time, and ends up in a fucking bookshelf
>even the normies in the theater audibly groaned

BRAVO NOLAN

That's a reverse grandfather paradox, yo.

Instead of something existing going back in time and doing something that will prevent it from existing, interstellar is a case of something that won't exist going back in time and creating the circumstances of it's existence.

Its purest bullshit.

To explain it, you need a separate timeline, but the wormhole has to be present in both.

Yeah, you're just baiting at this point. It's a shame, I tried to be reasonable for once.

yeah thats supposed to be a mountain sized head not a main characters head super-imposed over the backdrop for the sake of art

Calling out a boring movie as boring isn't baiting m80.

evangelion is literally about an attempt to combine all of humanity into a single godlike figure. It dies shortly after it's creation and that's it's literal head.

its literally the pleb filter of scifi

They had to have past humanity do most of the work because the more influence the future has on the past the less stable the causality loop becomes. Coop had to be the one who decided how to provide the information. If the bulk beings did it then in the next loop iteration they might have given it to someone else, which changed the future and led to them choosing someone else, and so on until they choose someone that didn't understand the message and humanity goes extinct. By keeping it simple the bulk beings cut down on the possible loops. Every single iteration the bulk beings make a very simplecontribution. They provide a wormhole and they provide access to a black hole. There are very few ways that change to the past could happen differently, unlike if they provided the data themselves.

>Instead of something existing going back in time and doing something that will prevent it from existing, interstellar is a case of something that won't exist going back in time and creating the circumstances of it's existence.
No, you don't understand. The bulk beings are making changes to the past all the time, as much as we use planes and make use of the up and down directions, they make use of time. That means any changes they make to the universe within the light cone of influence of Earth before humanity left Earth risks wiping out their entire timeline. They solve this by shoring up their timeline. They provide a wormhole and access to a black hole to ensure that humanity survives so they can do whatever they fuck they want to the past without fear of wiping themselves out.

Literally none of this is conveyed or even implied in the movie

It simply follows. I get that people wouldn't get it at first but they should at least think about it before bitching about the movie not making sense. And afterall, it's a movie about Coop.

My 13 year old brother figured out the bulk beings were the descendents of humanity before the final reveal.

>not knowing directors

>N-no it's a good thing that the movie is full of plotholes that the audience has to go through mental gymnastics in order for it to make sense

This movie is getting posted a lot lately.

That's not how plotholes work. Simply not telling the audience everything doe not constitute a plothole. Being contradictory such that nothing shown or not shown could make sense of it constitutes a plothole.

*does

the bulk beings need humanity to survive the death of the earth to exist at all

also what you're doing is just generating nonsense to explain the nonsensical.

If you have to actively come up with a solution for a movie to make sense, it's not a good movie.

>the bulk beings need humanity to survive the death of the earth to exist at all
Precisely, which implies they did. Humanity precariously made it past the collapse. Maybe there wasn't even a blight in the original timeline.

It's not nonsense.

After Coop gets sucked into the black hole why does he get stuck in a bookshop? Also when he gets back to Earth his daughter is some old lady but they didn't bother to recast Matthew McConaghey and he still looks the same age. Massive plot hole?

The movie is about Coop and a movie doesn't have to explain everything to you. The average audience doesn't give a shit about temporal mechanics. They can only think about the people right in front of them, like the protagonist. Evolution has yet to transcend that simple barrier.

Just fucking think about the movie before you claim it doesn't make sense.

But yeah, I would have liked a movie more about temporal mechanics than one that doesn't spend any time on temporal mechanics and keeps it all deep down in the heads of a physicist they hired to make sure everything made sense.

Less funny than

if humanity needs the wormhole to survive the death of the earth, then the bulk beings can't be the entities that created the wormhole.

But that's not funny

Absolutely unironically this

Dude, I've already gone over this.

The bulk beings didn't need the wormhole to simply exist. They needed the wormhole to ensure humanity survives any changes they chose to make to the timeline. For all they know the star they chose to destroy just 3 billion years after the big bang emitted a particle that gave cancer to a child who would have drastically changed history had he survived. The wormhole was just an insurance policy.

Exactly.

DUDE MY EXPLANATIONS FOR THIS PIECE OF SHIT MOVIE MAKE EVEN LESS SENSE THAN NOLANS DOGSHIT FLICK

Those two movies were bad. They dropped the anti-authority theme and went with the ridiculous faith angle. And none of the monologues were good. Everything the Oracle said was bullshit and that rant about love tha tprogram did was idiotic. "Love is just a word"? Love doesn't refer to the word love, it refers to the fucking concept, you absolute idiot. No wonder they want to delete you child. A program as stupid as you shouldn't be allowed to replicate.

I think you forgot your meme-arrow, user-friend.

Bunch of fucking faggots

literal fucking headcanon that is in no way hinted or established.

Christ this rash of people making up literal bullshit to explain away the nonsensicality of bad movies needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

Assuming it's nonsense is also "headcanon" you fucking imbecile.

Do you want the director to chew your popcorn for you too?

You are the one who said the plot didn't make sense. It did. I just explained it to you. The movie didn't focus on that though because it wasn't about the bulk beings. It was about Coop and his daughter. You are being autistic right now by ignoring that fact and focussing on the bulk beings while simultaneously refusing to acknowledge any possible explanation for the bulk beings' actions.

Kubrick's best

11/10
blew my mind

Cred Forums's Nolan hate is absurd. He isn't the second coming but he is still one of the better directors of this generation.

>assuming headcanon is "headcanon" is headcanon.

we must go fucking deeper.

Dude.

If the bulk beings need to exist for the coop/murph story to happen at all, then you can't just ignore the fact they're complete and total nonsense.

They're part of the narrative no matter what.

If they're future humans altering the past so they can exist in the first place, then the wormhole has to exist in all timelines, otherwise the death of the earth would wipe out humanity.

>he is still one of the better directors of this generation

Your pleb is showing.

how's that GED treating you?

I enjoyed.

Name 3 better modern directors than Nolan.

fell asleep all 3 times i tried to watch this

I already asked about the first cause and I answered it. Humanity apparently survived the first iteration and made it to being bulk beings. The bulk being were simply shoring up the timeline and ensuring any changes to the past doesn't accidentally tip the scale in favor of extinction.

It's an INSURANCE POLICY, not a son knocking up his mother to become his own father.

So the central conflict, humanity fighting to survive the death of the earth, is meaningless.

Or did you already go full lindelof and try to claim its just about the characters?

Justin Lin
Michael Bay
Brett Ratner

Aronofsky
Malick
Coen bros

what are u saying? that films amazing

Is WW2 meaningless just because you know the outcome? No, because the outcome was reliant on the actions of those who took part in it. If humanity were weaker than we would have never became the bulk beings. The bulk beings were relying on the strength and fortitude of humanity to make it all work. It was a team effort.

FUCK i can't

Action flicks directors now considered good?
>Aronofsky
Only one movie as good as Nolan's
>Malick
His last good movie was in 98. And the only one
>Coen bros
As good as Nolan

Zack Snyder

>1998 was nearly 20 years ago
Fucking hell.

Great book, great flick.

do u not know about the tree of life and literally all the other great films malick has done these past few years?

>doesn't like The Tree of Life
>does like Interstellar

well no, it was very plebish at points, but the suspension of disbelief was enough. I liked it a lot, plus great music makes everything better

You really need to take a step back and realize you've just compared a work of hack fiction to a conflict punctuated by the detonation of nuclear weapons on civilians.

Booioook? Thx dude. Just saw this randomly the other day. Need to take a break from my Chomsky/zinn reading habits.

Holy shit.

Look up "spaghettification" you dumb fuck.

>plus great music makes everything better
Except for the fact that the score in Interstellar is obnoxious and doesn't fit any of the scenes in the movie.

Loud =/= good

No I really wasn't. Did you not get enough sleep?

The list goes on and on

Not him, but what about the other two?

JJ Abrams
Gaspar Noe
Lars Von Trier

Movies about children are boring af and have no sense
Interstellar, despite retarded plot, have great visual, sound and decent acting of actors. It's not good movie, but still better than TToL.

>Interstellar is better than The Tree of Life

>retarded plot
How so?

>JJ Abrams
Were ok, but SW7
>Gaspar Noe
Who?
>Lars Von Trier
If I want to watch some pretencious porn, I can just google it.

but i like movies about children

Because Cred Forums said so.

Nicolas Winding Refn
Alejandro G Inarritu
Denis Villeneuve

>he thinks cooper went deep enough into the hole for spaghettification to occur
my goodness what a klutz

FYI this is playing at select IMAX theaters October 15th
If you're like me and hate yourself for not going to see it theaters, this is probably your last opportunity to do so.

... so you have no idea how black holes theoretically function.

That's just swell.

It was a supermassive black hole, you absolute dumbass. Spaghettification wouldn't occur until WELL past the event horizon.

American education, everyone.

Some arguments instead of funny pics?
It's predictable, boring and too unrealistic, obvious time paradox also.
Nice for you, but most of them are boring shit.|
>Nicolas Winding Refn
Was good, but his last films are pretencious garbage
>Alejandro G Inarritu
As good as Nolan, better in some aspects, worse in others
>Denis Villeneuve
Will see when Blade runner 2 come out

David Lynch
David Cronenberg
David Fincher

tree of life doesn't have a great visual?

The event horizon is, no matter the size, the point where "towards the center" becomes all directions.

There's no softening or easing that.

It was great until the ending. Nolan went full retard with the ending. The dude should had died and the robot should had sent the signal to earth. It would be more believable than the shit ending we got

Well, if you're a fart fetishist I guess it does.

>paradox
Time like loops are not impossible. That isn't a problem with the plot.

Well, technically its not a paradox. A paradox is two contradictory results being equally possible.

interstellar is just predicated on retardation.

>David Lynch
Is he modern director? Also too pretencious.
>David Cronenberg
Check his last two movies. He is not even good.
>David Fincher
Agreed.
It's just okay.

Spaghettification occurs at the roche limit which is well within the event horizon for supermassive black holes given human sized objects.

Joao Marquinhos dos Santos
Li Wen
René Mancía Gallón

>interstellar is just predicated on retardation.
I disagree.

It's some random names, right?

No, it most certainly went full retard long before the ending.

It has a lot of great scenes, but they get fewer and fewer as the movie goes on. Then between the great scenes there's just pure idiocy.

bait

If it wasn't for Matt Damon showing up halfway through this piece of shit movie it would have had 0 (Zero) reasons to watch it at all.

I dont hate Nolan but I hate this shit film

>pretencious.

retard american detected, The world would be better with you dead

well, let me put it this way nigger, you don't scan the core of a black hole from outside the event horizon. You don't communicate across the even horizon.

But this is irrelevant because the bulk beings were bending time and space around coop and crew pretty constantly once they got near the black hole, for if the fact the accretion disc being as hot as the surface of the sun wasn't a tipoff, that backwards time-line walkout they pull to dump coop next to saturn should've hammered that home for you.

also the scene of coop entering the black hole clearly shows him crossing the event horizon, as that is what the stars blacking out behind him was representing.

Interstellar was good.

Did you just butt into the conversation like a dumbass or are you simply a dumbass? We were talking about spaghettification.

Muh bulk beings.

You might as well say a wizard did it, it'd make as much sense as your braindead headcanon.

Why didn't the robot just get the probe on the water planet?

We saw him pick up the probe AND Anne Hathaway no problem, PLUS he was able to move 10x quicker than the humans.

So why didn't they send him to it right away? It was established that time was a limited resource, and on top of that hes not a living thing so theres less risk

>muh headcannon
You are a dumbass too. It's right there in the fucking movie. Coop enters a fucking tesserect of perceptions his own making. It's not rocket science.

The doctor was closer and robots are dum.

For the same reason we follow the humans in the transformers. We feel no empathy for robots, yes I know there are exceptions, so the scene would have literally no tension.

Something something bulk beings something something love transcends time and space.

Because Nolan is a hack.

>telling the audience everything
yeah but thats exactly what nolan does. there isnt a single line of dialogue in this movie that isnt exposition. mark my words if this movie hadve been silent with the exception of the score and sound effects it wouldve been a lot better.

That's fair.

Still though, not a plothole. Not in any conventional sense.

>You might as well say a wizard did it
That's exactly what I'm saying and my primary argument for why the movie is terrible.

So much relies on the bulk beings they serve as nothing but the author writing himself into the narrative as God.

You aren't making sense. There is nothing wrong with the bulk beings.

The obvious answer.

Do people actually believe that only smart people appreciate Interstellar?

Just because a movie talks about the technicalities of space doesn't make it smart nor good.

I have a feeling that Nolan wanted to emulate Tarkovsky's Solaris, using science fiction to convey themes related to human emotion. The only problem is that Tarkovsky placed a heavy emphasis on the emotional core of the movie and it never felt pandering, whereas Nolan went the opposite direction. I can honestly say I wasn't really emotionally engaged in the movie.

Interstellar isn't a bad movie, but one that I hardly call an essential in the genre.

youtu.be/Ij1eWjmM5dE?t=134

Interstellar is enjoyed by most and hated by idiots and pseudo-intellectuals. Idiots don't follow it and think it is elitist science fiction drivel and fedora tippers can't get over "muh love".

Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Paul Thomas Anderson
Wes Anderson
The Coen Brothers

I'd accuse you of pretending to be stupid, but all your posts in this thread are kinda strong indicators you aren't pretending.

>this non-argument
Here's your (you).

All you've done is say "lol, that doesn't make sense". You haven't given a single argument this entire thread.