When Cred Forums talks about the Sopranos it's either shitposting or about the best episodes/moments...

When Cred Forums talks about the Sopranos it's either shitposting or about the best episodes/moments. But what are the worst Soprano episodes and why?
Personally, I would say the ones about Christopher being involved with Hollywood or the one in season 1 with the music industry. It doesn't seem as realistic as the other "worlds" of the show, like the mob world. Of course it's supposed to be a satire of Hollywood, but it just seems flat. And the first two or three episodes in season 1 are some of the weakest as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0LigaaVyylM
youtube.com/watch?v=K_tyWt_9Bfs
imdb.com/name/nm0001214/
youtube.com/watch?v=40yKQNMT1Gg
imdb.com/name/nm0938490/?ref_=tt_ov_dr
youtube.com/watch?v=2KrPvXZqzLo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ben Kingsly, Jon Favreau and the rapper plotline stood out as the most out of place parts of the show.

Also The Test Dream was fairly tedious to me. Every other Tony dream sequence in the show is far more effective.

The music one is the only episode I skip when rewatching. Chris going to Hollywood is one of my favorite parts though.
I personally dislike Mr Ruggerio's Neighborhood because it drags on for 25-30 minutes of them trying to plant the bug, failing, then bureaucracy of getting another attempt proven, then they do it again. Really goes on to long.

"A Hit Is a Hit", "Christopher" and "In Camelot" are the worst, but that doesn't mean that they are actually bad

>Mr Ruggerio's Neighborhood
Wasn't that literally just a filler episode so they could stall for time and figure out what they were going to do about the dead Livia actress?

It has that really great Every Breath You Take remix at least.

they actually made us sit through minutes of 'music' from defiler.

Söpranos

DON'T BE SO GAY

Columbus is a bad episode, the stuff with Chris in Hollywood is dumb but fun, I'm pro any episode with Chris getting high.

The single worst moments are CGI Livia, The cartoon fart sound effects and that bizarre Carmella freeze frame.

This, as far as I'm concerned, blows away Matchbox 20

Every time one of you faggots mentions that Carmella moment it just shows you weren't paying attention.

>bizarre Carmella freeze frame
Please explain

It was completely out of place.

It wasn't the only time they did it.

Where else did they use it?

>that bizarre Carmella freeze frame
i don't recall this?

When Junior went to Boca with Bobbi.

I don't remember. Even so, if they used that same effect I'm sure it was bad then too. If you're saying was a call back to a previous moment earlier in the series then what was the purpose of tying together those two scenes?

I don't know or care why they did it but for years people have been posting that it was the only time and it was so out of place. I think people here just like to repeat shit they see other people say.

fuck off pleb

Bullshit.

Even if it did happen twice, it would still be completely out of place in those instances since the show near uniformally avoided that kind of tacky stylization.

Check it out pleb and you'll see i'm telling the truth.

The only freeze frame was with Carm and it's so well known because of how bad it was.

I don't believe you.

Do you have a clip?

It's well known because stupid fucks have been repeating it on here ad nauseam

I can't find a clip but it's in season 1 episode 9 when junior is dancing with bobbi. Surely someone else here has the episode and can confirm this.

oh yeah hehe that good ol scene

Can you confirm it for these witless faggots?

This is true.
The one where Junior goes to Boca and dances with that girl, at the end of the dancing scene he dips her down, it freeze frames, and fades into the next scene.
Now please someone tell me where/what the Carmella freeze frame is.

Thank you user. Season 5 episode 10

I find the shows biggest weakness is how there's "season villains". I understand Chase did this to avoid cliffhangers in case of sudden cancellation, but I find it to lead to surprisingly little continuity between seasons. Its a lot more jarring on repeated watching, and is almost distracting when you get to the last few eps of a season and you see a hastily thrown together conclusion to Richie, Ralphie, Tony B and even what's his face in the series finale.

That and I don't think Chase had an ending in mind until well in to the writing process in S6.

Apologize faggot/s

It's amazing that's the worst thing you can say about it.

There really aren't that many bad episodes. The only one that's very tedious is the one with Columbus, but even that has some hilarious scenes like the Gary Cooper conversation.

cold cuts 31 minutes 36 seconds in

I DON'T WANNA DOOO YOUR DIRTY WORK, OH YEAAAAH

Richie worked well as a one season villain, and it's a credit to Joe Pantoliano's acting ability that he stayed on as Ralphie for more than one season. I think he definitely should have been in season 5 rather than Tony B

The one with the fucking ouija board.

It's part of growing up

Why did Tony treat Sil like shit?

Twenty fuckin years in the can. I wanted manicotti I compromised I had grilled cheese off the radiator. I wanted to fuck a woman I compromised I jerkoff into a tissue.

I loved him like a brother in law

Anything to do with Meadow or AJ post season 2. Those two bratty little kids and the way Tony and Carmella tolerated them made my blood boil

This is the funniest line in the series

They were with the Vipers!

Yeah, exactly.

The delivery is perfect too.

I'M A FOOL TO DO YOUR DIRTY WORK

OH YEAHHHH

SOMEONE POST THE CRAZY DANCING ALREADY FUCK

You're a fucking faggot

Tony B gets a lot of undeserved shit. Liked him.

Why did Tony treat the Bing guy like shit?

He was a poor stupid fuck who didn't know when to shut up and Tony knew there were no consequences for lashing out at him.

But defiler was Ok, it was they later band that was fucking shit.

annoyed me how they left a plothole with that guy just quitting. how could they realistically just let a guy who heard a lot of shit (including digging up a body with christopher) just quit??

A Hit is a Hit is understandably disliked, this top hat wearing fool thinks he can do anything he wants. Adriana is cringey in it, but I still like the episode, it's better than what's on television any other time of day.
People don't like Christopher and I don't understand why
actually two of my least favorites are the Season 3 and Season 4 first episodes. Mr. Ruggiero's Neighborhood and For All Debts Public and Private. They have to set too much up, but they still have good scenes

>tfw passed season 2 altogether

fuck this season

Tony's dream episode, whichever one that was. And yes, I totally agree about the Christopher goes to Hollywood episodes.

still haven't marathoned this show
if it didn't live up to the hype i would be devastated

When rewatching I always skip the vito being a fag stuff. I find it boring, plus the bit with him kissing the fireman, even thinking about it makes me throw up. Disgusting.

I actually ended up really liking phil for wacking vito. Tony was a pussy for not wanting to wack a known fag.

>A Hit is a Hit is about a song that wasn't a hit
>the episode wasn't a hit either

BRAVO CHASE

>what's his face in the series finale
I'm going to insult you a little

It still has some hilarious scenes when the crew find out about it.

>vito was...blowing the security guard
>SON OF A BITCH

It's without question Hit is a Hit. But i think there's one noticeably weak episode each season. Like the season 3 premier with the shitty spy music.

A Hit is a Hit has one of my favorite lines. Chrissy is in the burger joint in the hood and isn't getting service so he starts yelling at the staff. The tophat rapper approaches him and Chrissy says,
>Why'd they send you? I'm looking for a burger, not converted rice

>Lorraine will never suck our cocks because shes dead

I always wanted a good shot of her tits.

No one ever mentions the one where the soccer coach fucks Meadows friend in season one.

Terrible plot and ending. Also that cut from uncle Jun in Boca to the music video.

I legitimately don't like any of the Chrissy wants to make movies stories short of his interactions with JT Dolan. I honestly hate the D Girl episode, I usually skip it when rewatching the show.

Also, pretty much anything heavily involving AJ or Meadow, not for the writing or direction, but just because Sigler and Iler are absolute shit tier actors.

>no mention of House Arrest
The episode was so boring everyone forgot about it

I can sort of relate to this, but I thought Ralph and Phil were fine.

The whole hospital episodes and the final one, actually, the whole final season is just shit.

They ran out of ideas and had no idea how to end it properly. I guess that ending was by mistake too.

they were pretty juicy. Too bad all we got was her flabby ass

the whacking of jackie jr is awkward as fuck

3 things you hate about sopranos
go

Tony = Shinji
Livia = Gendo
Johnny Soprano = Yui
Melfi = Rei
Carmella = Asuka
Christopher = Toji
Paulie = Misato
Furio = Kaji
Leotardo = Keel Lorentz

The Sopranos is the NGE of Western Television.

yeah now that you mention it wtf
there could have been a scene with tony pulling him aside and apologizing maybe confiding in him why he thinks he was such a jerk

>whacky jr

chase continues to impress

Melfi giving up on Tony because Elliot cited something despite her defying Elliot the entire time

Jackie Jr. having screentime

Meadow not getting naked

Carmela isn't worst girl, that's Charmaine. She wants to fuck Shinji

really did not care for the vito running away arc. why do i care about this obese power grabbing faggot.

Id say the episodic nature can sometimes lend well and sometimes cant. Personally I thought it was a bit silly that the therapist gets raped and its kinda never mentioned again

Yeah I get how they wanted to have 1-2 season long stories, 4-5 multi episode stories, and maybe one episode stories, but I'd prefer it if more characters were like Sal Vitro the landscaper. You can't bring in Junior's asian buddy for one episode, or that stripper Tracee for one episode, and try to play them seriously when they weren't shown before or after.
They can be funny, or have good parts, but it's not effective at drama, they're so contained to that one episode

>Tony is sort of moral once in 6 seasons
>"Fucking Tony, you have to torture the fanook"

how can someone be this plebeian

>the homophobia
>the racism
>the fucking Italians

Other than that I liked the show

Movie was good but the ending where the guy jumps off the cliff was luke warm at best

>I guess that ending was by mistake too.
youtube.com/watch?v=0LigaaVyylM

>And the first two or three episodes in season 1 are some of the weakest as well.
>The episodes that set up the themes and tone of the show are bad

Thanks for stopping by

Sit the fuck down, you mullet head.

The themes and tone that don't amount to shit because muh panic attacks happen once a season, and muh mother who died and became a non-issue so they had to switch muh panic attacks to MEAT

>But defiler was Ok

Defiler was intentionally awful buttrock.

>Out of our way
>And don't be so gay

Come on, user.

It's one of the few that does live up to the hype. And it gets progressively better and more complex as it goes along.

He spouts off a couple of guilty laugh lines in that scene.

>Yo, hairnet central, what am I, Mark Fuhrman back here?

>Whose welfare check do I gotta cash to get a couple of burger baskets?

>Out of our way
>And don't be so gay

Kek I forgot about that lyric

>first few episodes are bad

The first episode is one of the best episodes of the entire series.

>its a Vito episode

>Not liking Morphine

You can see yourself out.

Live Free or Die had one of the best credits songs though

youtube.com/watch?v=K_tyWt_9Bfs

Compared to the rest they are, yeah. It all gets GOAT by "college" though and that's episode 5.

>The episode was so boring

Wasn't that the point of the episode? That these sociopaths are subject alexithymia because down time forces them to confront the horrible things they've done? Hence, Tony's rash and Junior going stir crazy.

I thought that episode was tonally brilliant.

I'm talking about the death of the American dream. That was the underlying theme of the series, the downside of Capitalism as told through the story of the modern day Italian mafia. It was established in the first five minutes.

Yeah and maybe it's just not as interesting as other themes on the Sopranos because it has been done to death in all kinds of media.

I'm not bigoted and am pretty liberal but those scenes made me want to vomit.

The only time this really happens is Richie. Ralphie and Phil are relevant for more than one season and Tony isn't really a villain.

This Sopranos was WELL ahead of the curve with its addressing of the issue. We're talking almost a decade before the actual downturn of the recession and the current climate of its aftermath. Just because you're over it, that doesn't mean that the theme was somehow boring.

The Sopranos did it first and pretty close to, if not, the best.

I actually dreamed of The Sopranos last night. It was like watching a completely invented dream sequence. Tony was eating dinner with Carmella and they were surrounded by flames, like they were in hell or something. They had a sweet conversation, then Tony looked away and as he looked back, he realized Christopher was in front of him the whole time instead of Carm. I thought I was projecting my own guilt and this whole dream was a projection but I'm not really sure of my interpretation.

You don't read a lot of books, do you?

...the sopranos was the first to talk about the death of the american dream? you 'avin a giggle m8?

why don't you like it? I'm halfway through season 2 on a rewatch and have been enjoying it

OK. Since everything is a deposition around here....I never said that. We're talking about a long form television show here. It was the first to address it in a popular genre context. The show paved the way for other shows to go deeper because, as it did so often elsewhere, it was able to communicate the point both poignantly and unpretentiously.

Some of the hospital scenes really dragged. The dream parts were good though.

There were no episodes that were completely bad from start to finish.

yeah ill agree. 80's and early 90's was full of ridiculously optimistic tropes. 1999 seems like a big year for that death of the dream theme in general. The Matrix, American Beauty, Sopranos, fight club

>cartoon sound effects

that shit was funny though

I ADDA PARKA DE CAR ALL DA WAY OVA DERE

No decent Meadow nude scene
No decent Carmella nude scene
No decent Adriana nude scene

Here's the freeze frame scene.

Someone seriously needs to edit in some Star Wars footage after that

I always mention that just for the fact that the entire episode revolves around Meadow playing soccer which isn't mentioned once before of once after. Really cheap.

What the fuck was the point in that? Was it just to make sure we saw carmelas facial expression there? Was a fucking freeze frame really necessary for that?

I get the importance because it was probably the first time she'd said it aloud and likely the first time she'd had the thought in a context that wasn't latent but the communication was uncharacteristically melodramatic (a la Star Wars) for a show with as much nuance as The Sopranos.

This was the director's only episode and he's only directed a bunch of trash. Seeing as how uncharacteristic it is from the rest of the show, I think we can blame it on this hack.
imdb.com/name/nm0001214/

>leaving las vegas
>trash

kys

I guess it's not necessarily a negative but it feels cringey to me when the characters go off about muh Italian huritage or how the Italians Americans are so persecuted in America. Granted, I understand that's partially just the nature of the characters and it's in there for a reason but it does get kind of annoying when it feels like they do it almost every episode.

Even if it was good, he has a shit track record.

The FBI trying to put a bugged lamp in the basement episode, any Chrissy focused episode, and the one about Columbus are the weakest episodes by far.

But the intervention episode was great.

Hey Cred Forums, what's up

I'd love to see him try. surprised meadow dated Jamal Ginsberg in the first place, guess it was ultimately Tony that pushed her into it. i always thought her ideology was a little forced, some of her lines were a real eye roll. no one in college actually talks like that

There's a scene in Season 5 after she bones Wegler where the shot goes into slow motion for a couple of seconds and then there's a wipe to the next scene. It's weird, but it's an incredibly minor thing.

>what's wrong with dad?
>he ate at an indian restaurant
>OH MY GOD THAT'S SO FUCKING RACIST #TRIGGERED

A lot of the Columbus episode was weak, but Tony's mini-speech at the end in the car back home about how you make your own way, and really aren't that closely connected to your 3-generations-removed ancestors is insightful and shows Tony's pragmatism and intelligence.

>I don't think Chase had an ending in mind until well in to the writing process in S6.
I disagree completely. I think he figured it out before season 3. I don't know how much you know about writing techniques, but if you're familiar with "plant and payoff," it looks to me like there's a ton of that going on between the seasons 3 and 6, and especially season 3 finale and the series finale. Maybe it was all retroactive, but I doubt it.

youtube.com/watch?v=40yKQNMT1Gg

UP IN THE CLUB

Any episode that has a Meadow subplot

It's also one of those intimately funny moments that no other shows could do like The Sopranos.

>some of her lines were a real eye roll. no one in college actually talks like that
I've seriously met people at college that DO talk like that. They're annoying as fuck but generally stick to their own circles. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the writer's kids was like that and they just copied it into the show as a way to vent.

Who did he blow to get a director spot on The Sopranos?

Leaving Las Vegas is literally the only notable thing he's done, and not even that is good enough to warrant a walk-on spot anywhere.

This.

There are people like that at college.

I know because my sister is one of them. She's an annoying bitch.

>"he was gay, gary cooper?"

>It's a Tony has a dream episode

i dont remember this and i just marathoned the show a month ago

the carmella freeze frame and that entire episode had out of place cinematography

>mfw I saw this scene transition

that's likely what it was. just was skeptical of her personality coming from a suburban NJ daughter of a mafioso. i realize she was trying to distance herself from her father's business and all, and a girl like that would definitely try to study intellectual sheit. but even then, her command of /lit/ and humanities theories was just unfitting for her character. neither of Meadow's parents were particularly educated nor were they interested in academia. combined with how hot she is (and this is the part that makes all of it so unrealistic), a girl like that would almost certainly not be interested in humanities and law at all. the shit she was reading at the undergrad level wasn't appropriate either

it's possible yes, and there are people like Meadow, but they are rarely as hot and their parents are usually academics themselves. yes there are SJW's in college, but Meadow is several levels above that plane. it all just doesn't add up

t. went to private school in NYC

>Yep that's me

Well then maybe you should go back and check it out. None of those other fags that said I was bullshiting admitted they were wrong.

This is the other freeze frame.

This one uses a fade instead of a wipe and it also has music playing that makes it seem way less out of place than the Carmella one which is done in complete silence. This freeze frame isn't half as awkward in its execution as the other one even if it's a bit unnecessary.

Coincidentally (or maybe not if they did this often), this episode is also by a one-time director who has loads of other garbage credits to his name.
imdb.com/name/nm0938490/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Thanks user

That one isn't nearly as bad. It still sucks, but at least it doesn't have that George Lucas screen wipe transition.

Why did Tony always bully Georgie?

What the fuck is he gonna do? He's not made and he's an accomplice in too much shit to ever go to the police.

But why him though? What did he ever do to Tony that pissed him off so much?

made me laugh

Why not you u lil bitch

Read the thread you fucking faggot

>ctrl + f georgie
>only 1 match and it was mine
Wew, I almost got baited by you there.

Here you go you fuckin retard

I think it works here, Junior is living his movie dreams before shit gets fucked

see

The worst episodes are typically regarded as A Hit is A Hit (Chris+rapper episode), Christopher (Columbus episode) and to a lesser extent Luxury Lounge (Kingsley episode). All valid though I'd say the last one has a lot of major redeeming factors.

Personally I'm not a fan of Chasing It, it was too late in the series for a gimmick like a whole episode shot handheld. The camerawork was distracting from the scenes, and also just generally looked ugly. I also think the Pilot was objectively one of the weaker episodes. David Chase was a novice director, if not writer, and made some very weak and questionable choices with the style. Also the first season finale "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano" has some truly bizarre shit in it that made me wonder what the director and editor were thinking. And that shit was directed by John Patterson, the master.

>tfw manipulated anons into doing my bidding
I should be in The Sopranos, I would make at least capo.

After Carm bumps into that teacher she was having a fling with (at the school I think) and explains she is 'moving back in with her husband', the slow-down-to-freeze-frame is as she is walking away, looking awkward.

That slow mo looks like fucking shit, and the wipe is jarring, but it's partly redeemed by how nice the frame it wipes to looks. Chris, Blundetto and Uncle Pat sitting by the river with their backs to the camera. Something very artistic and surreal about it that is actually kind of complemented by the bizarre transition.

You're just a retarded faggot. You're not fooling anyone.

sopranos was so awful portraying black people lol

For me personally? I thought the first episode of the first season was so retarded I almost dropped it.

I mean driving across an industrial park with no one calling the cops.

That is weak writing

Even in an age before cell phones that was embarrassing and retarded

I bet you were born in the 90's

That was fucking hilarious.

ever watch the wire

LARRY

nancy marchand had terminal cancer so i don't think they were stalling for time. it's not like her death was a shock or anything.

>lol

Which one of this episodes is truly the worst?
>A Hit is a Hit
>D-Girl
>The Telltale Moozadell
>Christopher
>In Camelot
>Luxury Lounge
>Chasing It

I did not care for any Vito episodes, and as much as they're praised, not a fan of Tony's dream episodes either.

>not a fan of Tony's dream episodes either.
A true pleb.

BEST GOOMAH EVER??

.../ `---____________|]
../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.. ), --.(_((_) /
..//(.)//
.//__//

why did so many girls want to fuck tony?

He was alpha and they was damaged goods.

He was the strong silent type.

money, power, good sense of humor, sociable, reflective, has a boat, tony's also not necessarily ugly...

mostly the first two. why not?

im fat and italian

how do i get laid

Just approach literally any girl.

exhale heavily through your nose

Yeah. It hurts looking at her.

do you have money? more importantly do you have a crew of good looking friends?

no
i can make a good lasagna tho

Tony's fucking coma episodes were awful.

In fact, season 6 in general was very wishy-washy. Some episodes were great, some were terrible.

bitches love food. wine and dine 'em, probably gotta go for a thicker girl that can appreciate culinary sheit.

thread related, does anyone else get hungry as fuck watching the Sopranos? all that home cooked Italian food

>Tony's fucking coma episodes were awful.
Fuck you.

>tfw on season 4 for the first time now

this is the greatest show ive ever seen

I've been craving baked ziti since I started watching

Fuck you, my friend.

He's obviously retarded user.

>Fuck you
Alright, noted, fair enough...
>my friend.
Whoa, waitaminute. Friend? But you just told me fuck you. You're sending real mixed signals here, user.

>The American Mafia, often referred to in the United States as the Italian Mafia or Italian Mob, commonly shortened to the Mafia or Mob, and also known as the Italian-American Mafia,[1] La Cosa Nostra (LCN),[2] or the American Cosa Nostra,[3] is an extremely powerful, influential, highly organized and deadly Italian-American criminal society that originated and developed from the original "Mafia" or Cosa nostra, the Sicilian Mafia, though eventually encompassing other non-Sicilian Italian-American gangsters and organized crime groups of Italian origin in the United States and, to a lesser extent, Canada.
kek, are they really that powerful even today?

spend 40 years rising to the top of the N Jersey underground, ya fanook

who are we kidding? We both know you don't have the makings of a varsity athlete.

>mfw I won a week-long trip to Captain Teeb's

> this episode is also by a one-time director who has loads of other garbage credits to his name.
just like practically every episode of the sopranos?

sup reddit

No.

poopyfart sounds

because you missed the point.

Vito literally ran away to a perfect fairy tale ending. As good as a gangster can hope for. And he didn't want it. He walked back into certain death because it was all he knew.

A cliche then

sup faggot

It was a tribute to star wars you retards.

David chase is above all else a movie fan.

how is that a plothole? He's a mob associate of years now. Sure let him go to the police. The only going to jail would be himself.

I never realized James Gandolfini was such a big dude (inb4 4 u).

Its so cliche you didn't even recognize it I guess.

Do you even know what a cliche is?

The cut into that scene is even worse.

WELL WHO ELSE, HUH?

I've literally seen someone pull a gun and shoot someone else and the cops didn't show up for like 45 minutes.

Yes. Do you know what a "chicle" is?

6'1 is barely above manlet status.

Season 4 is dank.

Dat $20 bill over the words ONE DAY.

SPEAK ABOUT DESTRUCTION

UNHH

SPEAK ABOUT DESTRUCTION

I WOKE UP THIS MORNING AND SAT ON A LOG.

I LOOKED AT THE MENU AND THE MENU SAID

FROG

FROG: REBBIT.

You said it yourself, it was in an age before cell phones, an age before 9/11 and before worldstar compilation videos, general terror and response to it was handled differently I feel in the late 90s

the av club review of cold cuts says that it's one of the most technically accomplished episodes of the entire series and that the director was great.

the director also says in the commentary that he had nothing to do with the freeze frame and that it was added in post.

been too long since i've seen that episode so i can't really say anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=2KrPvXZqzLo

Pure kino.

A hit is a hit is pretty bad but it has the best credits song.

Interesting. Can you name some examples?

>AVClub
Trash

Maybe it was one of Chase's weird ideas then.