Not noticing 2km high waves coming towards you until they're 30 seconds away

>not noticing 2km high waves coming towards you until they're 30 seconds away

how does nolan get away with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/How-did-such-gigantic-waves-get-generated-in-such-shallow-water-in-the-movie-Interstellar
youtube.com/watch?v=hJdF8DJ70Dc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They thought they were mountins. Now delete the thread.

>were running out of carbs! were going to die!!
>ignore the fact that shoreline cities and towns are thriving on eating fish

what movie is that?

How did they not see the mountain waves flying in? Explain that big guy

The close-up shot of the wave is really fucking ugly.

are you being naive?
Interstellar

How do I get my girlfriend to watch this? It's too fucking long and there should be an hour and 10 minute edition.

Do I just skip this shit farm parts and basically all the parts they are in talking in space?

No I'm being retarded, I completely forgot about the main fucking reason they went to space in the first place.

can a huge wave like that really happen on water so shallow?

Ur mums puss is shallow but the waves are big m8

Get a new girlfriend, fuck it, start dating men.

Originally it wasn't supposed to be a real wave. It was supposed to be a stationary mass of water that was being pulled towards the black hole and the earth rotation moved you towards the water. But they scraped that and went with "dude big wave lmao"

its ok senpai

U dumb fag I don't want to watch a 3 hour movie either ems eat my shit

The thing that always got me about this scene is that the ship doesn't work in water and the legs are like a meter long, but they landed in the water without mentioning the depth, I thought it was a deep ocean planet, why didn't they consider that? It seems more likely than standing depth.

I can believe that, the ocean's horizon is deceiving.

I was more annoyed by the space ship capable of atmospheric entry not being able to handle a bit of water.

the water is so shallow because it's all in that fuckhuge wave

>planet with no orbiting moons
>waves

>Oh no, waiting an hour for the engines to dry will waste atwo decades!
>Don't consider using the "dry engines" button until they're about to die and 20 years have passed
What did they mean by this?

You have no understanding of reentry vehicles.

>this is the kind of nigger who browses Cred Forums - Television & Film

>(You)

What I don't understand is why they didn't get the robot to retrieve the data for them? It moved much faster than they did and they could have just sat in the ship and the other guy wouldn't have died.

We're already quite close to driving a number of keystone species to extinction (tuna, cod, salmon, sturgeon) and that's with a good 90% of our species relying almost entirely on agriculture. Switching to a near-pure seafood diet would still result in billions upon billions of deaths in the short term, and the trees were going to end up dying in the long term anyway. Going to space was the only option.

do you not know how a tsunami works? if a deep, moving watermass comes into a shallow area, a huge wave will form

but didn't they saw from space it's was water water planet?
they didn't even had to go to space imo.
the earth condtion wasn't that bad. so yo have big sand strom.
you can grow plants underground and live semi underground. and if they have interstellar abilities they can live underground

Heat tiles are boring. It's the future!

the plants were dying underground aswell, for no other reason than the plot.

Why are you here?

Because they had no reason to believe there was anything to be concerned about. They would have wanted to make their own observations about the planet regardless.

>I don't want to watch a 3 hour movie
Cred Forums - Television & Film

We can farm raise cod and salmon very easily. The real problem in the long term is ocean acidification fucking up sea life. You can't live on jellyfish.

>>>>/film/ returns a 403 error

Our lord and savior Hiroshima Nagasaki will deliver redemption in the coming months.

>le 1 hour is 7 years on dat planet

What a meme

Yes and they could have done that without getting too far from the ship.

They were dying everywhere because of the blight. It might be possible to isolate a plant from it, but if you want to farm enough food to feed people, your crops are eventually going to be exposed to every possible disease.

They were probably hoping to survey more than just 5 feet from their shuttle for some reason.

>lets go to a planet right next to a massive black hole, what could possibly go wrong?

General relativity is a meme right?

Forever War when

>that last battle

Goddamn I want to see it done well

The reason they went that far was because they were searching for the transmitter. Again, the robot could have done that while they focused on surveying the environment.

>constantly talking about the time shift due to the gravity pull
>She has years of research down there!
>Oh wait lol shes only been here for like 6 hours
>We didn't know the planet was all water until we already landed!
One of the most contrived plot inconveniences of all time

In fact, that is the only scene called bullshit. Any other scene is within the possibilities of physics, that wave scene was done on purpose to create a dramatic event.

*called bullshit by scientists*

>they didn't even had to go to space imo.

That's the entire fucking premise though. The blight is making it so continued survival isn't possible and you have to accept that

but at the end of the movie after like 80 years, earth still exist, no?

This was the movie that got me a gf in the first place lol

earth still exist and they still have food

They did, like maybe a minute later

I can't remember, do you see Earth at the end? I thought it was all on board the space station at Jupiter.

Anyway of course the earth would still exist, even if it can't support crops for human consumption doesn't mean that it would vanish or even look that different

Yes. Physics is pretty much a meme

3 of them go out including CASE to search for the transmitter which isn't visible, when they find it (like 10 feet from the ship) brand goes to search the other wreckage, acts retarded and gets stuck, then they send CASE to bring her back.

They are all actively searching for stuff among the wreckage, brother

>doesn't mean that it would vanish or even look that different
I know that why I added this yes I think they were on spaceship.

the question bugging me is how did Murphy get the space station off the ground??

so what's your point? it doesn't show earth or them having food on it, it shows humanity having moved on

the original point was that they had to go to space

it's time dilation man, it's all good

How were they supposed to know what the planet was like until they got close to it? They are on a ship, not a telescope. They knew the person who landed there was reporting positively for years (actually just once or twice, but it echoed, which is apparently a real thing) which is reason enough to land there.

Are you retarded? Pretty sure its obvious the world is complete shit; most animals are probably endangered or extinct at this point. Can you not suspend your disbelief so much that you make up some stupid ass reason why they only farm?

Does anyone really believe that gravity will age you slower than someone in less gravity? I don't believe that shit.

Is this bait?

They've literally confirmed this with atomic clocks in space and numerous other experiments like neutrino velocity. You not believing it doesn't make it not true.

The level of intellectualism on Cred Forums never fails to surprise me.

Using the black hole data that cooper gave her from inside. This is the part of the movie that's pretty much entirely fiction- we don't have any idea how black holes work inside and we aren't likely to ever find out, but in the movie that data is the missing piece to the ship michael caine had been building.

You know how the tide recedes before a tsunami? Same shit.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but giant waves in shallow water like that makes sense.

You're being deliberately stupid right?

It's not gravity itself, it's time dilation due to the gravity.

But extra gravity would probably make you visibly age more on its own. Would make your shit sag.

ah

>actually believing this

Kek, might as well believe in interdimensional aliens desu

4/10 got me to reply

kys

It's not the tides that are the problem, it's that it would become tidally locked with the black hole. This guys math is wrong as per the numbers given in the movie but he has a good explanation of what would eventually happen:
quora.com/How-did-such-gigantic-waves-get-generated-in-such-shallow-water-in-the-movie-Interstellar

Not the same guy, but as someone who knows fuck all about space and physics, please explain. He got me interested, I realize Tsunamis dont form because of the moon but is it because the planet has huge earthquakes all the time or whats the reason behind those huge waves?

Meant to include you here:

what? I thought (remember) time dilation was caused by speed not gravity

Waves on earth form because of the gravity of the moon and sun, waves on that planet form becuse of the massive gravity from the nearby black hole. They just resemble tsunamis because we have nothing on earth with the gravity to cause a wave that big, it is purely earthquakes.

It's both.
>In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses.

things get more massive as they go faster and are as such have a greater gravitational interaction... go study it if you want to know, got to be better than asking questions on here

Call me retarded but this is interesting, why is that when I visited Florida the waves were fucking huge and I've never seen waves that big (literally ever) in Sweden? Isnt the gravity on earth 9.81-9.82 everywhere?

Here first hey guys my mechanical watch will run slower because I'm in denser gravity so time itself is running slower.
>If you actually believe this shit you should kys

>what is GPS relativistic time correction?
The difference in gravity between the surface of the earth and orbits in space cause enough time dilation to screw up GPS.

>solution is giant centrifugal space station
>don't worry about solar flares, radiation etc
>meteors and general space debris
>who needs an atmosphere to protect us from that shit, we space paradise now

It was a big wave

Waves are mostly caused by the wind.
Tides are caused by the moon, and sun.

Why would you want to watch it again or subject other people to a viewing?

After about 80 years of technological development, after they've solved an equation that is hinted to give a source of insane energy, even with a starting point of tech higher than ours, but no I suppose all the scientists in that universe wouldn't have thought of the few little difficulties you picked out of your own arse in the past two minutes

Just skip the first hour. That's the shittiest part of the movie anyway.

Not retarded at all, the reason waves are different in different places is due to weather, geography, currents, and probably a ton of other factors. You can walk a couple miles down the beach and have the waves totally change

youtube.com/watch?v=hJdF8DJ70Dc

Gravity, like, pulls you down, bro.

You gotta, like, keep fighting gravity with your body and shit, and your body, you know, gets really tired and stuff all the time from fighting gravity and so the body can't always, like, keep up and you "age".

You dig?

Waves are mostly caused by the wind. Waves build higher when the wind has more distance of open water to affect....the fetch.

>hurr durr i've read a few science fiction books
>i know a few problems about space
>that must mean I know better than an incredibly talented film maker who researched this and collaborated with world leading astrophysicists

kys

Forgetting all the other shit for a minute, I don't think you understand how troublesome it would be to detect and deflect space debris. You can't shoot and destroy an incoming meteor, as its trajectory would not be altered and the speed at which it was traveling would barely be touched, all you would do is essentially turn an incoming artillery shell into a cluster bomb. The very fact that they're using centrifugal force as artificial gravity says that they don't have the technology to create gravitational fields to sway incoming debris, which, aside from having two million cunts orbiting the station with giant tennis rackets, would be the only other plausible way to deflect incoming debris. Riddle me that, genius.

I'll have you know I have a masturbators degree in anecdotal physics.

What is, shit I made up for 100

I love how Cred Forums tries to have an intellectual discussion (the very few educated here) and all the usual Cred Forumsirgins (mostly retarded) completely derail it coming up with the dumbest questions.
Y'all been talking about useless shit way too long.

>y'all
end yourself

watch 2001 instead

Yes you can, and you are a moron. Detonating something traveling parallel to a meteor in the opposite direction would deflect it. Debris is very rare in the first place. We've had a space station floating around in a dangerous area pretty confidently because it is very unlikely that it will ever be hit by something sizable. The movie gravity is not a documentary.

Not to mention the centrifuge ship was a means of transport to the planets they were exploring at the time.

The tides drastically influence the way waves form.

NY MOODS LIVE ON THAT SWING SAME

I don't think you realize how rare debris and shit is in space

Also, I don't think it's crazy to suggest that they have technology to track and anticipate foreign objects well in advance and that they have the means to avoid them

Waves themselves are different from tidal pulls. Waves = wind, tides going in and out = tidal pull between the earth and gravity. The tidal pull of the waves in interstellar are caused by the pull between the planet and the nearby black hole.

>they want us to believe they couldn't just GM the crops
We can already do that for fucks sake

They had to fly through a huge asteroid belt in order to reach Jupiter. I know that asteroid belts aren't how they are depicted in Star Wars and are actually fairly sparse but it still seems like they would be at risk.

They knew about the time distortion way, way before they landed. They would have known that it applied to the scientist already there and would have known that she was only there for a few hours. It's why Cooper said that when they got back on the ship. They just conveniently forgot to think about that before they landed
>They're on a ship, not a telescope
You're fucking retarded

>spend decades flying across time and space to find habitable planets to save the human race
>Find one with potential
>Know before hand about the time dilation on the planet
>Don't bother surveying the planet from a high orbit for a day or two knowing full well its literally only nanoseconds on the planet
>Don't notice tidal forces on the all water planet around a black hole
>Don't scout out a landing zone
>Coop is literally in a hurry to waste years of subjective time... To save time... I guess
>The ranger they use has more than enough fuel to reach escape velocity of a planet so deep in the gravitational well of black hole that it causes significant time dilation.
>The same ship that needed a multi stage saturn V rocket to get into low earth orbit
>The tidal forces necessary to create mile high tides should tear the planet apart or at least make it so geologically active liquid water couldn't exist on it
>The tidal forces of jupiter and its primary moons is enough to make Io a volcanic hellhole, and heat the core of europa to the point that it has liquid water at its heart.
Nolan is such a sloppy fucking hack. And the best part, you could cut that whole stupid fucking planet and not affect the rest of the movie.

Seriously, what was the point? To get rid of Hungergames McBeardface, who had two lines of dialogue?

Bullshit. They established before entering the planet that time was a limited resource.

Also the fact that the guy in orbit was experiencing time faster than they were means they had plenty reason to get in and out asap

> we have to work really fast on this planet
> do absolutely zero reconnaissance before entering the planet
> land in water even though the ship can't take water
> go out and walk in way stronger gravity instead of just sending the robot
> guy who spent 20 years alone in space and didn't think they'd come back isn't even cheerful that they did. he is also in exact same mental condition

bravo nolan

Fairly sparse is a huuuge understatement. You would pass through without seeing an asteroid, let alone hitting one

They got enough pings from her to suggest that she lived long past the first wave, you dipfuck. They only didn't know that every ping except the first was an echo.

Why was the gravity equation so urgent when they could survive just fine without the new planet. Couldn't they just live inside the space station while it was on earth to avoid the blight? Couldn't they build more of these shelters? Couldn't they grow food inside of them? I know in the long run they need a new planet but they make seem like this is the last generation.

Waiting in orbit around the planet for a couple days would mean that they were gone for hundreds of years, because even the farthest orbit of the planet is not significantly further from the black hole. You would know that if you had payed attention to the movie, or had a basic knowledge of general relativity. The launch vehicle from earth was bringing the centrifuge craft as well as the shuttle and excess fuel, whereas the shuttle only had to lift itself. Unless you are hellen keller, have no excuse for not understanding this movie. I think you should leave this board, you are not an intelligent person

I mean concerned about danger wise, they were clearly in a rush to search the wreckage (brother)

How was the wave created in the first place? The planet was large enough that it could cause huge time dilation. Ignoring the fact that they should have all been crushed to death immediately, why was there no mention of a massive moon.

-->

I recommed reading the plot summary on wikipedia

>Waiting in orbit around the planet for a couple days would mean that they were gone for hundreds of years,
Thats why black science man on the ship aged hundreds of years while they were gone, right?

Their crops were dying underground. I know this because there is an entire scene dedicated to michael caine explaining the fact that their crops were dying underground too, while standing next to a dying plant, underground.

The planet was near the event horizon of the massive black hole that is a central part of the story, which they explain multiple times. The planet itself only has 1.3x earth gravity.

I am torn between thinking this movie explains too much, and realizing that people didn't understand it even with all the hand holding.

Black science man was never in orbit around the planet. They explain that this very clearly- they wanted to waste as little time as possible.

My biggest concern of this movie is as follows,
Was Ann Frank supposed to singlehandedly raise like 300 babies and teach and care for them into adulthood? What if she died and there was just a planet of toddlers?

No, they did not explain that black science man was orbiting Gargantua rather than the planet. They just said he'd be in orbit.

doesn't matter anyway, the movie is beyond retarded

Why did they need a multi stage rocket to leave Earth, when they had the shuttles that could just fly up and down to the different planets?

How dense are you? They knew she was only there fkr a few hours, not enough to actually study the planet

I understand it, I just didn't remember it.

Why did he wait to get in the ship? What was he thinking?

>just skip over Mackenzie Foy

gtfo...

Did you forget about the fucking black hole?

matthew was the only good thing in this movie

Cowabunga

>the moon, not the sun causes tides
>waves are caused primarily by wind
>tides would never be a wave-shaped wall of water no matter how strong the gravity
>stop talking about shit you don't understand

The water is being pulled toward the black hole its orbiting.

If he did, he was accidentally smarter than you in doing so. The black hole wouldn't have much effect on tides, for the same reason the Sun doesn't on Earth. What matters is the differential of an object's gravitational pull on each side of the Earth. For the Sun this is very low, because the diameter of the Earth is irrelevant compared to the distance between the Earth and Sun. But the moon is significantly closer to the near side of Earth than the far side, so it's what controls tides.

There are only 3 planets they had to research and yet they couldn't scan their surface for geographical anomalies beforehand..

Nice one nolan...

This. While it is a cool concept loosely based on science, it's not accurate in the slightest. Let's say Gravity was strong enough to pull water off a planet, the water itself is in an orbit, and wouldn't rise to ridiculous heights. It would either fall into the blackhole, or fall back into the planet it's on because relative to the blackhole, it's in free fall, and its only affecting gravitational pole would be the planet. It wouldn't be stuck in some weird state where it's caught between both gravitational poles. Not only that, but the planet would definitely be tidally locked with the black hole if that were the case, so those waves would not move, and would likely turn into water vapor.

Even if the black hole merely caused the waves, and didn't sustain them, they would eventually run out of energy and dissipate.

Kek.

Same way the domo robot was able to sprint across the water

SET SCRIPTWRITING TO 10% TARS

>the moon, not the sun causes tides
The sun has a significant influence on the tides.

TARS, set sycophantic worshipping of director regardless of low film quality to 100%...

the moons closer to florida

your just a hot head, pleas get out of here

Underrated post

>Wall of water moves towards you
>You move towards large wall of water

So what's the difference?

>scientists that are able to send a rocket into other galaxy are not able to exercise logical thinking
This movie was the dumbest shit, i literally raged when watching it.

I think they needed the gravity equation to move everyone to the space stations

>How were they supposed to know what the planet was like until they got close to it?
You know scientist know what specific stars are made of, right?
They even had fucking data on the planets around black hole collected, it's the uttermost bullshit that they never knew that it's a water planet or about the time distortion.

>world leading astrophysicists
Who?

The real question is why was that planet even remotely considered to be viable? Time would effectively fly by humanity if we relocated there. Hell, they probably could have gone to Damon & Edmonds planet settle humans and then go back to check on Miller's planet

you think heat tiles make engines waterproof?

muh water

ITT pedantic autists try, and fail, to pick apart the best sci fi movie of the century

>the faith of the entire humanity depends on you
>choose to go first to the world that orbits a black hole and has time slowed down 10 times before checking the other 2 possible planets

You dont understand relativity do you

... in shallow water.

Time flying by wouldn't effect people on the planet at all really. The only downside would be that the outside galaxy would advance faster, and some other spacefaring society might find your planet and it'd be like a Spaniards/Aztecs situation since they have had far more time to advance their technology.

The time spent on the planet equaled to 27 earth years if im not mistaken.
The black dude went to sleep in the pod a couple of times, but then he stopped waiting because he thought they were long gone. So he didn't go into the pod and aged like 10 or 15 years until cowboy man and catwoman got back on the shuttle.

The waves were weird due to different gravity, they thought they were mountains. But when they kept getting closer they realized they were actually waves. Get it now pleb?

Never went to science class have you

Why did they have unlimited delta v?

nolanfags btfo

If it was that or have the entire race die off on earth, its worth the risk. They didn't have a wealth of options if you weren't paying attention to the damn movie.

>>The same ship that needed a multi stage saturn V rocket to get into low earth orbit
>Why did they need a multi stage rocket to leave Earth, when they had the shuttles that could just fly up and down to the different planets?
Because that would give them a lander in orbit with half a tank of fuel and no way to replace it. And they needed every drop, as you'll recall.

You are retarded. I don't even have the will or patience to explain how 10 different things apparently flew over your head. Watch the movie again and pay attention this time you pleb with the attention span of a 10 year old.

tell me the story

They were showing it at the prison cinema and this guy started fingering my butthole and I liked it lol

Yet they can survive in space? Just seal it off from the earth's atmosphere.

>muh retarded
going for the Cred Forums fitting in bingo are we?

>constantly panting and sweating

No. Made me sick really. The only good thing about this flick is the launch sequence which lasts like a minute.

They needed the gravity equation to send the space stations into space. My question is why don't they just build places like the space station on earth and live inside it away from the blight.

>what are tides

>I am torn between thinking this movie explains too much, and realizing that people didn't understand it even with all the hand holding.
Or maybe you're a fucking idiot that doesn't understand my question. The space stations obviously has oxygen of its own since it can survive in space. So why not live inside of them with clean air away from the earths polluted air? Why not grow food inside of it? Why did it need to be in space for it to work?

You see, the trick to a good troll is to not play all your cards at once, it's too obvious.

My understanding of that planet was the landing caused the waves. Gravity is kooky, etc. There was no wave from above.

because nolan doesn't understand that biospheres are easier to make than space stations.

Everything pre-black hole is good, everything after is shitty love drama crap. Same thing Fury suffered from with the "last stand" scene.

This is the point I was trying to make.

You... See

>moron who thinks flying towards a massive black hole close enough for significant time dilation is a-ok
>'ppl didn't get it'

kys

time dilation