Why doesn't anyone wear/make chainmail in zombie movies/shows? Cheap, light, easy to make...

Why doesn't anyone wear/make chainmail in zombie movies/shows? Cheap, light, easy to make, and with some tough cloth in the gaps you'd be completely bite-proof.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k1cJu7TOo5c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because that'd be smart. The whole zombie genre relies on the character's in it being dumb as shit.

Why didn't rick and friends just fly the eagles over Negan's roadblocks?

This. Zombies are always snarling and shit and yet they still manage to get the drop on someone like every episode of TWD.

Shit would be heavy dawg

Nigger don't even start. Chainmail isn't heavy at all. Full plate isn't even that heavy so chainmail is barely anything. It's literally the perfect armor for zombies because it's so light.

just some fucking heavy leathers, biker gear.

>light
>easy to make

Where are they supposed to find chainmail, autismo? We have guns, not medieval armor. Someone's supposed to craft it? blacksmiths are rare.

You know how to make chainmail? I imagine it would be hard as fuck

they arent stabbing you dipshit, leather would work better and not be heavy as fuck and look retarded

>replying to zombie autists
woops

It's really labor intensive. Without rivets it took armourers around 750 hours to make an average sized shirt. With rivets it took over a thousand hours. These are skilled tradesmen. Who knows how long it would take modern day people with no experience in metal during an apocalyptic scenario.

Just wear leathers.

chainmail isn't heavy you dipshit

t. 13th century paladin

Hearing loss. Also it's not their fault zombies sometimes know when to shut their gurgling necromantic blowjob holes.

it anyone bothered by how zombification is transferred through a bite, but now through blood in most movies?
>character fights a bunch of zombies
>ends up covered in blood that almost certainly some went in his mouth/eyes
>that's okay though, no bites

It is both those things. It's easy as fuck to weld some metal loops together, literally anyone can do it, and this "medieval armor is heavy" meme is bullshit. Like I've said before, modern soldiers carry weight that far exceeds full plate armor. Chainmail exceptionally light for it's tradeoff in protection and would be perfect for this situation. There is a reason they mass-produced chainmail in the early middle ages

A full set of mail was around 20-40 lbs. Now add on whatever you need to carry to survive. It's impractical to haul that shit around with you.

I'm not that guy, but its not as hard as you'd think.
Literally all you need is some chicken wire, a dowel rod, wire cutters and pliers.
Check that shit out on youtube, seriously. Its pretty neat

>20-40 lbs
how much is this in normal measure?

You don't weld chain mail. It's crimped.

40-80 kg

about 10-15 kilos
which amounts for about nothing because it weighs on the entire body

>zombie is a brittle rotting corpse

>somehow has the ability to rip a guys arm off like its nothing

zombie movies are fucking retarded and are even worse when they try to be "real and scientific" about it

>20-40 pounds
>impractical

You're joking right? Marines carry like over 100 pounds around every day, that's fucking nothing.

You could easily weld that shit to make it go faster. This show doesn't take place in the middle ages they have welding tools around somewhere I'm sure.

This is a big reason I stopped watching TWD. They would literally smear zombie blood and guts all over their bodies for camouflage and not get infected.

>20-40lbs distributed across your entire body

are you weak?

>chicken wire
That's what reenactors use because it's light and they don't actually have to worry about protection. You need like 16 gauge to be effective for protection.

Season 1 Episode 2. The way they do it in TWD is tasteful. It's a last resort and most of it are guts and meat ontop of clothes with a teeny bit maybe on their cheeks. It's Fear The Walking Dead that makes it totally retarded.

Chainmail was very light to wear.
If held in your hand, absolutely.
While worn it's weight distributes on your shoulders and with a proper belt half of it goes on your hips.

t. my buddy is a reenactor and made his own chainmail

retard detected

Welding would prevent it from being as flexible. Which is one of the main benefits of mail. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah Marine infantry carry that much but they also train every fucking day with it. You're talking about an apocalyptic scenario without proper nutrition or time to train. Completely different situations.

>There are no steppe nomads in TWD universe
>they still manage to find gas somehow and rely on that instead of getting some horses

I'm sure they'd find some way to fuck it up anyway like they did with that one horse .

This.

Zombie movies are not about survivors. They are about those who get killed.

You can make chainmail easily with some wire, a rod, snips, and a pair of pliers. It just takes a while. The problem is that it can be pretty heavy unless you use aluminum wire. Then you aren't as well protected.

There's tons of tutorials online.

Using modern methods without rivets or forging, it doesn't take nearly that long. You can have one in about 4 days if you are dedicated and are only using 4-in-1 pattern.

Brother!

You're going to wear it constantly? At some point you're going to take it off and have to haul it around on your back with everything else you need to survive. It's not a question of strength but of practicality and endurance.

>There's tons of tutorials online
Wow someone should tell Rick the internet exists.

because where the fuck do you get chainmail from?

i don't see any chainmail stores around i can loot

>without proper nutrition or time to train

It was the same in the middle ages, except maybe knights and nobility

I would only take it off when I'm stopping to rest. Otherwise, it's lighter if I just wear it.

Why wouldn't you wear it constantly? >this guy seriously trying to imply that we can't make this work in the modern era
Your argument is weak.
You could make the rings yourself, or you could steal some chainlinks from a sporting goods store or something, it's not hard or impossible.

A full set of leathers is all you really need.

The only survivors of Z-Day are going to be bikers and fetishists.

idk if it's true, but you better wear your chainmail constantly to prevent it from rusting, although with stainless steel today it wouldn't be a problem

4 days to make one shirt thst wouldn't actually do shit because you've made it incorrectly.

Also you need acess to a welding torch and all that wire.

Not practical in the lest.

Maybe because zombies would hear you clanging around like Jacob Marley.

This guy trying to act like welding some rings together is an impossible task, and that the slightest imperfections would make the armor totally useless.

You're grasping at straws.

Have you ever welded before? The whole shirt would be one big stuff block of metal if it was welded together. You can't get around the fact that it has to be crimped together.

it's not impossible but i think making a chainmail suit (without access to your cool youtube tutorials) might qualify as 'hard' to most people

>tfw still no madman dictator who makes lighter pike formations and clear up everything

*stiff

You know what's even lighter, just as effective against biting, and readily available in the 21st century? Leather.

>we can't use modern technology to make something they did by hand over 2000 years ago

OK buddy good argument

>linking metal loops is rocket science

It's not

Hardened leather >>>> niggermail

go on then, make a suit,

But not against bullets

>that's fucking nothing.

Marines have an entire support structure behind them. In a zombie apocalypse, you only have yourself. Meaning you need to be as light as possible because you won't have squad mates watching over you when you are asleep and dead on your feet.

Light to wear =/= actually being light

You still need to move that amount of weight, regardless of how easy it feels. It is best to be as light as possible. It still wears you out.

Some chainmail is welded. The rings are not welded to each other. The ends of 1 ring are welded closed to make it a solid ring. You can forge, weld, or solder the rings closed.

Who is Rick?

You make it, it is super easy to make. You should make some now irl just to your time between shitposts.

You don't need to weld them. Also, you don't use a welding torch, but you can if you really want to. A spot welder is much faster, which is what I use (pic related). If you don't have access to AC, you can use DC and a different setup.

That's not what welded chainmail means.

How can you make a welded joint flexible?

It's not the zombie apocolypse.

But you can be damn sure I'd make one.

I'd also organize a goddamn shield wall, they worked when the other guys also had weapons, they'll work doubly well against mindless unarmed zombies.

>it is super easy to make

all these people saying this

i don't believe any of you, either post a suit you made or stfu

making clothes is a bit more complicated than linking some loops together, sorry

>the one man shield wall
Super effective

Chainmail doesn't stop bullets...

You know what I mean you penis.

Either way they should use shields, solo or not.

>tfw rick actually said fly you fools

>making clothes is a bit more complicated than linking some loops together, sorry

It really isn't. I don't make clothing with my rings, I make chains for various projects. I think you are really overthinking this for some reason. A chimp can do it. It is etsy-level crafts now.

>i don't believe any of you, either post a suit you made or stfu

Don't care.

>A chimp can do it.

>making chainmail is impossibly hard

youtube.com/watch?v=k1cJu7TOo5c

It honestly depends on the type of gun, type of bullet, and distance that you are shot at, but it could greatly reduce damage to the body from firearms under certain circumstances

>I don't make clothing with my rings
Than how the fuck do you know it's easy to make clothing out of it?

Nobody said it was impossible. Just impractical.

Take some clay. Create two rings, but one with an opening. Move the opening through the other ring, and then mild the open ring closed around the other ring. Now, imagine the same process but with hot, bendable metal.

Congratulations, you've just linked two rings. Truly rocket science.

Because I've made normal clothing before. It is all about having the proper pattern for the design, that's all. It is also far more forgiving because you can simply undo a section if you mess up.

You didn't read the thread it seems.

Sounds like too many variables to really rely on it being bullet proof. So it's really a nonfactor when considering whether you should invest the time in making one during an apocalypse.

it's not the linking of rings that's hard
it's tailoring, which is tricky enough using flexible fabrics
how much experience do you have dealing with sleeve gather? i predict a lot of trial and error before you get you fancy suit finished
in the meantime i hope you have a plan b because those zombies are coming, slowly but surely
the clock is ticking

You wouldn't need chainmail. Biteproof clothing is incredibly easy to find. In any case, a zombie apocalypse would be an abortion anyway. They'd just get shot/blown up/run over.
Any medieval armour would have no chance against a rifle round.

>zombie apocalypse would be an abortion anyway. They'd just get shot/blown up/run over.
what about a virus that also airborn and spreads regardless of physical contact with an infected
that's plausible

Chainmail is simpler from a metallurgy standpoint, but in terms of speed of manufacture and if you have access to good steel plate is far easier and not much heavier/more inflexible.

Chainmail in a more modern form does exist though, it's used to protect from sharks.

It isn't hard though. You can undo it and redo it without materials waste, unlike conventional clothing. That's why there's 1001 people selling this shit online now.

Cockbag.

ah, problem solved then
we raid seaworld at dawn

Sucks that chainmail construction tutorials only exist on the internet. It's not like we've ever had a nondigital means of recording information. Not like we have libraries or printers or anything.

Then we're all fucked anyway and the thread is pointless. That's just an apocalyptic plague.

now thats a scene that should be in a zombie movie

Have you ever seen a zombie movie? The shit that zombies can bit through is rediculous. Go wrap a steak in some denim or a hoodie and tell me how you do.

1% are naturally immune, they still have to avoid being torn to death
that's the real zombie apocalypse

>Chainmail in a more modern form does exist though, it's used to protect from sharks.

This.

Why make it though? Chain is an incredibly time-consuming way to make armour. There's a reason that once we reached a certain standard of metallurgy it was replaced by plate at almost all levels. Low grade munitions plate was cheaper and more effective than all but the highest quality mail.

>making plate armor in an apocalypse
Look I get you guys want to LARP but this shit is ridiculous now. It's much easier to just loot clothing that is bite resistant/proof.

Yeah I'll just go down to the shark armory in town and pick one up.

Actually, you wear chainmail UNDER the old plate.

Also, modern plate is for shrapnel and bullets.

All zombies can bit through leather. Have you not seen any zombie movies? They'd probably bite through chainmail too due to plot power or something. These things are not well thought out.

>chainmail
just use ductape for fucks sake

I know it's stupid, I'm I'm just saying that chain is a shit choice even if you are a post-apocalypse LARPer.

Making plate armor is something only an Armorer could do right. Chainmail is like building a PC: check out the tutorial and you're golden.

Personally I'd love to see a zombie apocolypse show with a history buff HEMA guy that builds armor and trains his friends to fight in the medieval way.

cuz you're the only autistic faggot to think of this and now you feel the need to post this every fucking day cuz you're so fucking smart and cool

>Chainmail in a more modern form does exist though, it's used to protect from sharks

And from machete-wielding Muslims if you're a German police officer

>zombies will bite through everything
Well than your best bet is to be as light as possible and avoid any direct contact with them.

You can order them online. Be prepared, scout!

i agree with you my man however, find a slaughterhouse or butchery and you find at least a pair of chain mail gloves, not much but good protection for your fingers at least

>Actually, you wear chainmail UNDER the old plate.

You CAN, but it fell out of use for under armour(TM) in favour of brigandine and just gambesons.

That is something I've always said in zombie threads, but no one ever gives any thought to. They are always about direct contact, loud weapons, etc.

Will Amazon still uphold 2 day shipping in the apocalypse?

>Be prepared, scout!

Gosh, I wonder what that could mean....

But it takes fucking ages, and in an age when you can just get a thick leather jacket for your arms, lineman gloves and a stab vest there is no fucking point.

Who wants to join my post-apocalyptic shieldwall? Whites only desu

what if they bite you in the eye

just have no eyes then

That's not a shield wall, that's made up bullshit

No thanks. I'd rather stay about 200+ yards away with my rifle.

Who duct tape here?

Wear a lid with a thick balaclava
You don't want anything that'll impair your shooting ability

This is 2016, our shield wall is going to be better. ;) It'll also have assault rifles pointing through the gaps.

Nigga just make a chain mail coif to protect ya neck and just leather jacket/gloves. Full chain would be stupid, just make enough so you don't get your neck chomped

How many marines carry chainmail?

This always annoyed me, like those scenes when a zombie falls over them and they shot the head and it splats. Or when they punch the zombies, how can they not get infected from open wounds?

There's a reason why long range recons use chest rigs instead of plate carriers, marching for miles with 20lbs is a lot after several miles. You want to be light on your feet.

The shirt wouldn't be able to hold it's own weight if not welded properly.

I would rather have this

>people in wheelchairs outrunning you

>easy as fuck
>in assembly alone, assuming you're proficient, can consume almost four days in a perfectly when in a safe and stable environment
>need to obtain the raw materials of proper gauge wire and a dowel of right thickness
>need to actually know how the rings are meant to link together in order to form the parts of a maille suit
>need to know how to measure yourself and possibly other people
>need to know how to get proper maille fitting to a body
>need to know how to get proper maille fitting to a body with any given padding
HURRR I'M MAKE ARMOR
>proceed to spend the rest of the zombie apocalypse needing to pop pain relievers because you've put an awkward 7 pound strain on your neck that moves in all the wrong ways when you're looking around, standing and sitting, running, forcing your way through a moshpit of corpses

>i'd rather die from heat stroke

Good way to literally lose the mobility advantage you have against zombies.

dying from bites is a really pointless idea i think it made all the films the same especially now they all pretend to be a bit sciency
the dead rising is spooky enough, you can do loads with that

>list things i can't do because i'm a massive kluztastic dumbass

Do you actually know how to make a chainmail?

That's not true. I just tested unwelded rings I use in my chains. A single ring of standard fence wire deforms at 35lbs. A chainmail shirt will have the weight distributed evenly through many rings, not 1.

A 60 Inch Full Sleeve Chainmail Hauberk (9mm diameter mild steel rings) weighs only 27.85 lbs. 9mm is a few mm smaller than my rings, so they will hold even more weight. Thus, 1 ring could easily hold up the entire shirt without a problem.

That being said, I'd rather have welded or soldered rings.

Of course.

Do you know how to tailor?

Of course. Don't you?

It is like you guys are fussing over how to ride a bike and have never ridden a bike before so you think it is some magical scientific thing no one else can do.

>27lbs
That's a lot tho, just for body armor.

>assuming the world is populated by cosplay larp fags that spend their weekends running around hitting people with nerf bats like you
Pro-tip, humans don't have enough bite force to even get through duck canvas. Just wear some fucking coveralls you massive sperg.

Agreed, I'm not the one advocating using it. I'm just saying it is pretty easy to make, just time consuming.

Zombies can bite through all forms of normal clothing. Only clothing you have modified will protect you. I'm sorry you are so inept at life that you can't learn what is listed in literally in between your shitposts.

>Watching the Lord of the Rings Appendices
>Weta Workshop segment
>Camera pans to two guys whose entire job for the span of filming was to sit at a table and link chains to make lightweight chainmail for extras
>mfw

I mean if you knew specifically how to make it and had the materials and tools, yeah why not?

I imagine it gets hot more than anything, nevermind the weight argument.

More focus should be on keeping your distance and not attracting zombies.

Did you have to learn how to ride a bike while in a pen with 60 hungry, rabid rottweilers?
Because that's literally the scenario OP is setting up.

>.22
Hate
HATE
This meme

>not already having chainmail

bunch losers itt

why the fuck would you need a scope on a handgun

>Zombies can bite through all forms of normal clothing.
>zombies are magic
>but not magic enough to destroy tacticool 21st century level 20 paladin armor

Why no .22?

Actually chainmail doesn't get hot like that. It act mores like a heatsink and cools you off. However, wearing extra weight is retarded when it isn't needed.

Hey, i've killed deer with .22lr. But you absolutely must get a head shot. It really does work well. Just don't try killing wild boars with it, that didn't work too well at fucking all...

That has a scope and open sights. You can use the scope or the normal iron sights.

>but not magic enough to destroy tacticool 21st century level 20 paladin armor

That's called "plot armor".

He's never used a firearm before and probably thinks only .44cal can kill anything larger than a rat.

>actually owning chainmail
Unless you bought it for fun as a teen, I feel sorry for you.

Because sometimes you want to use it as a spotting scope too. It is pretty common for sharpshooting.

It won't do anything, and there are plenty better weapons that have very common ammo.
You want something simple, reliable, easy to clean, in a common calibre and can reasonably engage out to a normal combat range.
So realistically, an AR or a milsurp bolt action of your choice.

>It won't do anything

Except being used as a sniper rifle for dogs and to kill military personal in Russia during one of their shitty wars.

>tfw no 5.56×45mm ammo within 500 miles of my location
>tfw literally millions of rounds of .17HMR

I bought it for fun as an adult. Fun is fun.

Because you'd have to take a mortgage on your house to buy just a case of them.
22 lr is harder to find than a fa/tv/irgin that has touched a boob not their own or a relative.

Also, 22 lr has a tendency to bounce around in a skull which can lead to a possibility of it ricocheting right back out of the entry wound right back at you.

>shitposting online or wearing chainmail and having fun

Tough , but it seems you went right for a decisive decision.

10/20 parabellum FMJ blackpowder cartridges are the preferred choice for operators.

>Because you'd have to take a mortgage on your house to buy just a case of them.
>22 lr is harder to find than a fa/tv/irgin that has touched a boob not their own or a relative.

In the USA, you can literally buy big boxes of them for cheap. Like 500 rounds for $24 at Walmart. Of course during a zombie apocalypse, those will be free and you can pack in 2k round without breaking a sweat.

Why FMJ? Why not something that expands readily? Zombies don't normally wear bulletproof armor on their heads.

I heard about that ages ago.

Why are they still so rare? You'd think manufacturing them would be a licence to print money

>which can lead to a possibility of it ricocheting right back out of the entry wound right back at you.

Biggest retard post ITT so far. Even if it did happen it'd have lost so much energy it'd just bounce off your t-shirt.

>it's a zombie outbreak
>the zombies haven't decayed away to nothing after a year

they are upping manufacturing now. The reason is because more people use .22lr now than ever before. People are buying 10k rounds at one time and wiping out stores.

>Like 500 rounds for $24 at Walmart.
Yeah, good luck getting to that box before some asshole and his 30 proxies come in and buy them all out.
Scarcity due to Fudds buying them all just to resell them a dollar per round.

>Yeah, good luck getting to that box before some asshole and his 30 proxies come in and buy them all out.

That was 2015. Everything is fully stocked here now.

This was smartly used in "28 Days Later".

No, the OP said nothing of the sort.

Dead traditional zombies is impossible, but what if it was a rabies like virus/fungi that just makes you crazy instead of dead, kind of like the clickers in TLOU or the 28 days later infected.

28 Days Later had no magic for me. It wasn't a zombie movie. There was always a lingering chance there could be a cure.

In the old zombie movies, you fight the living dead. There is no cure and no hope for one. There's usually no clue as to why it is happening at all.

You could've taken 10 seconds to google it but instead you chose to look like a retard.

Yeah, because everyone just walks around with the knowledge of how to make chain mail armor.

Why don't dipshits in these shows and movies have backpacks on them at all times?

>not wearing special spandex suits meant to protect from wild animal bites

A lot of them do tho, but it's often empty so they can collect stuff.

Don't project your lack of education onto everyone else, user.