Im pretty new to anime and recently watched and absolutely LOVE spirited away

Im pretty new to anime and recently watched and absolutely LOVE spirited away.

Is there anything else even close to this good or have I hit he peak before I even started?

Im looking for anime movies as good as spirited away or better , please help

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/deviSZmIu5w
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-24/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-12-18/.106799
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-26/shinkai-your-name-is-japan-highest-grossing-film-for-2016/.106907
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Akira
Ghost in the Shell 1+2
Howl's Moving Castle

That's the pinnacle

dang, seen akir and ghost in the shell ( which i both also really liked) i really havent seen any other anime other then that , i guess i have peaked before i began :(

will check howls moving castle tho especially since its by the same guy who did spirited away.

ill probly shoot heroin and do acid before i watch it for maximum feels

Mate download Grave of The Fireflies. Make sure it is the jap audio with English subtitles DO NOT WATCH THE DUB. Sweet Christ you will not regret it. Watch alone with tissues

>Im looking for anime movies as good as spirited away or better , please help
Fuck off back to Cred Forums, weeaboo.

There is no "peak." You are not benchmarking graphics cards here. Different works are good for different reasons and in different ways.

It's a little disconcerting that someone is new to anime and already afraid that he has "hit the peak" and that there may not be anything more to watch. There's been thousands of shows, movies and videos made since the 1960s. Most people have seen less than 50 of them (the average is probably 10).

So he is from Cred Forums and a weeaboo even though he just said he is new to anime and worried that there isn't any good stuff to watch? Are you high?

cute

>So he is from Cred Forums and a weeaboo even though he just said he is new to anime
This board isn't anime, go back to your designated weeaboo cesspit that is .

Akira, Spirited Away... the list goes on of 6/10 incredibly boring corporate schock anime-core

I didn't start this thread, and you are trying to change the subject.

Incidentally, you will find very few weeaboos on Cred Forums. Most people there don't even like anime.

Actually there isn't.

You just watched the best japanese animation has to offer.

Some say Princess Mononoke is close being quality wise and while I found it okay it's nowhere near the quality of Spirited Away.

>I didn't start this thread
Doesn't matter since you have the same mindset as the OP, hence you should go back and jerk each other off over at or whatever you weeaboos do, but get the fuck off of here.

try tekkonkinkreet for surreal-kino

youtu.be/deviSZmIu5w

wow dudfe wHAT THE FUCK Yuassa so CRAZY dude

Stick to your designated hovels, scum

Graveyard of fireflies

I've never made an anime thread here and there is no jerking off going on.

>you weeaboos
Neither of us is one. Take your pills.

Where do you even get this idea that anime absolutely cannot ever be brought up on Cred Forums? It is both television and film.

Cred Forums is an anime site to begin with. Cred Forums was made long after Cred Forums and similar boards.

No one cares you mealy mouthed little faggot. Get back in your cage.

Weeaboo in denial, how typical for a weeb.
>Cred Forums was made long after Cred Forums and similar boards.
In order to keep weeaboo scum contained, so get the fuck out.

fucking weebs i swear to god

Again: Cred Forums is an anime site to begin with. Cred Forums was made long after Cred Forums and similar boards.

Ok, explain how I'm a weeaboo then.

>In order to keep weeaboo scum contained, so get the fuck out.
Again: Cred Forums is an anime site to begin with. Cred Forums was made long after Cred Forums and similar boards.

How am I a weeb?

>will check howls moving castle tho especially since its by the same guy who did spirited away.

My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke have similar elements to Spirited Away so far as Miyazaki's films go.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is also a fantasy film worth a watch from the same studio. Has a very different art style though.

>Howl's Moving Castle
You mean Princess Mononoke

>being this in denial
jesus no wonder you're not in your containment board

>Cred Forums was made long after Cred Forums and similar boards.
You are one dumb weeaboo, I've already said
>In order to keep weeaboo scum contained
Get out.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai Yo Ne

I'm not in denial of anything, and if anything here is a containment board then it's Cred Forums.

Cred Forums was created for "weeaboos." This is a "weeaboo" site. If you don't like it then feel free to get out.

And how am I a weeaboo? If you insist I am one then you must have reasons for it. Let's hear them.

Yeah, totally agree. I think what makes it for me is the soundtrack, it's incredibly moving.
Not to mention some of the best art direction (Up there with Alien/Blade Runner) and animation ever put to film.

>You just watched the best japanese animation has to offer.
That's not how it works. It doesn't work like that in live action either.

If you liked Spirited Way try 'Little Nemo' (pic related). It's somehow similar yet different enough. It was a project Studio Ghibli rejected IIRC. People like Moebius or Ray Bradbury were involved in the making of the movie.

Also, look for another Ghibli's movies like Pricess Mononoke (one of my Ghibli's favourites), Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Tale of Princess Kaguya, etc., some Satoshi Kon's (Paprika, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue), Akira, Jin-Roh, first Ghost in the Shell (I haven't watched the rest)...
A friend of mine recommended me Mamoru Hosoda's films. I haven't watched them yet but you could check them out.
And if you want more obscure stuff, you could start with Angel's Egg.

If you want to try TV series, I'm not into anime very much, but I suggest you mostly check seinen ones like Ping Pong (the original manga is from the same author as Tekkonkinkreet, already mentioned ITT) or Monster.

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind
Millennium Actress
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade

>chan was created for "weeaboos." This is a "weeaboo" site.
>i'm not a weeaboo
So which is it? Are you a weeaboo or not? You seem kind of lost, let me direct your retarded weeaboo ass back to your hole

Wings of Honneamise is an overlooked gem for me. It's about the first space launch in a parallel universe. It's kinda whimsical in tone, and the design/art direction is incredible.

There's quite a few titles which I'm certain other posters will tell you along with fuck off. However, anime is generally an incredibly vapid and fanservicey (In both the pandering and sexual senses) medium that requires you to have a decent knowledge of Japanese/Otaku culture, patience, and lower standards to be able to enjoy. I'd say that outside of normie recs/Ghibli, you probably have about 10 movies and 20 shows that are close to the same level as Spirited Away.

Also, anime is an incredibly stupid and bad pasttime in general coming from someone who's watched it since 2000. It's not a watercooler conversation starter when you have to discuss about how our boy Juzo saved Future Foundation for his one-sided homosexual love interest in one show, or how the big-titted high-schooler Mary Sue with a bird smile and an intergalactic troll in her tits managed to convince everyone that direct democracy through smartphones/social network made by a crossdressing Mark Zuckerberg is a bad thing, or how in order to deter his sister from meeting up with the lesbian basketball player who was formerly cursed by a monkey paw, a former vampire effectively molest her by brushing her teeth. Note that the former vampire dude also has a relatively psycho girlfriend and a under aged version of the vampire who bit him. It's an incredibly suspension raising hobby and if you can't deal with it, more power to you. Go play some video games. Go ride a bike. Go have sex. It'll be better than fapping to crossdressing boys who get raped by big-titted succubi in the long run.

Yuasa didn't direct Tekkon-kinkreet dumbass. That was Michael Arias. Yuasa is a good director though and you could probably watch everything he's made and not feel like the above.

>Most people there don't even like anime.
Haha what the fuck? What do they talk about?

The answer is no.

People like to be contrarian hipsters about Spirited Away because it got recognition at the oscars, but there's a good reason for that. It basically has all of the good stuff about anime without any of of the typical excesses, which makes it quite unique.

Eva

>It's kinda whimsical in tone

Then out of nowhere: attempted rape scene

>So which is it?
Did you not notice the quotation marks or do you just not understand what they mean?

>You seem kind of lost, let me direct your retarded weeaboo ass back to your hole
If you don't like it here then just leave. Nobody is forcing you to come here. Why don't you just go to Reddit for example?

>However, anime is generally an incredibly vapid and fanservicey (In both the pandering and sexual sense)
The amount of fanservice in anime is incredibly exaggerated, and so-called pandering in anime has never ever been proven to exist. On the other hand, the amount of sexual content in Western media is either downplayed or denied entirely.

>Also, anime is an incredibly stupid and bad pasttime in general coming from someone who's watched it since 2000. It's not a watercooler conversation starter when you have to...
In other words, if you can't have a watercooler conversation about it with normalfags it must be "stupid" and "bad."

People talk about anime all the time on Cred Forums even if they hate it.

nope

yeah fist of the north star is better

unless ur a tumblr faggot

yes

bobby's in deep

Yes

Ignore the haters, EVA is kinomatography.

garbage anime, good wallpapers

>garbage anime

Mind qualifying that? Evangelion has lots of flaws, but most of them are intrinsic to almost all anime.

If you know of a better tv anime I'd love to hear about it.

Bittersweet.

This guy knows what's up. Fist of the North Star is incredible.

It's just an uninspired rip-off.

Jesus Christ

Can you believe it?

Part of my statement is just venting some personal frustrations/ exaggerating generalizations, and I do understand that everything isn't something like Senran Kagura/Strike Witches/KanColle, but let's be honest here, shows like Eva, Lain, SSY, etc. that are up OP's alley are extremely rare, and stuff that's good but generally fits in the tropes that the medium relishes in are ignored because "loltooweeb". Telling someone to watch/read SZS on the basis of the premise alone (not counting the numerous references to Japanese culture that will go over most peoples heads) is going to turn away most people if they don't have an open mind. Don't bother with something like the Monogatari series, which uses fanservice as a thematic element, relies on WORDSWORDSWORDS, and plays with conventions familiar to avid anime watchers.

Also:
>Anime
>Not pandering.

Then what the fuck do you call shows/LN's/manga that have retardedly dumb fetishes as their main selling point like Monster Musume, or Ore no Twintail, or Himegoto or all those stupid fucking whatever genre's popular at the moment like isekai LN adaptations that happen a dozen times a season. That's not counting all the fujobait, crappy video game adaptations, etc.

I'm hardly a prude, I've typesetted doujinshi enough to avoid that label, but I can clearly see when something caters to someone. It's not necessarily a full-on negative point, I enjoy having stuff that caters to me by all means, but there's a fine line between that and riding a gravy train to sales over a shitty adaptation all because of what sells at Comiket at the end of the day.

There's still good shows coming out, and there's decent shows if you know where and how to look, but in general, it's not something to bother with unless you either really dig in deep or don't care.

Really makes you think.

ping pong

Fucking hell.

IT IS NOT PLAGIARISM; THESE "WORKS" ARE INSPIRED BY THE SAME ARCHETYPES, NOT COPYING EACH OTHER.

B R A V O A N N O

Movies:

"Galaxy Express 999"
"Only Yesterday"
"Mind Game"
"The Wind Rises"
"The Tale of the Princess Kaguya"
"The Case of Hana & Alice"

Series:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion"
"Shigurui"
"Kaiji"
"The Tatami Galaxy"
"Ping Pong The Animation"
"Aku no Hana"

It's a rip-off when you don't like it and a homage when you do.

>shows like Eva, Lain, SSY, etc. that are up OP's alley are extremely rare
If you mean "serious" shows, they make those every season. It's just that nobody in the West watches them.

>Then what the fuck do you call shows/LN's/manga that have retardedly dumb fetishes as their main selling point
How do you know the authors are pandering? Where is your proof?

>all those stupid fucking whatever genre's popular at the moment like isekai LN adaptations that happen a dozen times a season
People were recently complaining about isekai shows on ANN too. Even though Re:Zero is currently very popular, even though KonoSuba was popular, and even though Grimgar was at the very least a respectable show. People have this "isekai = repetitive 'pandering' trash" record playing in their heads on infinite repeat regardless of what the reality of the genre really is. Kind of like how they also think that every Kyoani show has been just like K-On even though none of their other shows have been like K-On. People either don't watch anime or only technically watch it and substitute everything they see with memes and narratives.

>fujobait
Why is it bait? Because it's not made for you? Does the anime industry revolve around you?

>crappy video game adaptations
Why is something crappy just because it's adapted from a game?

Mah nigga

You'll enjoy most Miyazaki movies though personally I think spirited away is best. Check out:

Princess mononoke
Howls moving castle
Castle in the sky
Nausicaa
Porco rosso

>If you mean "serious" shows, they make those every season. It's just that nobody in the West watches them.

I'm not necessarily trying to mean "serious", but something that reaches the "level" of Spirited Away, which unfairly narrows the field to like what Ghibli's made and a couple other things. I don't even think SSY qualifies for that and few movies actually do. That's like someone asking for something on the same level as Potemkin, Citizen Kane, or 2001. It's an incredibly narrow field of answers that anybody who knew how to use Google could look up in a second, but they're to fucking lazy to do so.

>How do you know the authors are pandering? Where is your proof?

Honestly, I'll concede that because I'm too fucking lazy to follow my own advice and I just got tacos, but to assume that they're making it as some sort of artistic statement is bullshit and you know it.

>Why is it bait? Because it's not made for you? Does the anime industry revolve around you?

It's that because it's shorthand for a male dominated cast that plays off of their looks much like any other harem show would for women.

>Why is something crappy just because it's adapted from a game?
Because the game usually does a better job at storytelling/characterization/etc. and most studios butcher it to fit it in to two or one cours. You're better off playing the game than watching a watered down adaptation that usually skips over essential points.

> to assume that they're making it as some sort of artistic statement is bullshit and you know it.
Why does it have to be an artistic statement? Were the makers of Airplane! pandering because they weren't making an artistic statement? Are people only able to be sincere when it comes to serious things?

>It's that because it's shorthand for a male dominated cast that plays off of their looks much like any other harem show would for women.
How is that bait?

>Because the game usually does a better job at storytelling/characterization/etc. and most studios butcher it to fit it in to two or one cours.
Have you ever considerd comparing adaptations to the originals on a case-by-case basis instead of making assumptions?

>Grave of The Fireflies

>tfw watched it with my sister

:(

This year I've caugh up with many anime movies and these would be my top-tier films:

- Perfect Blue
- Grave of the Fireflies
- 5 centimetres per second
- Tale of Princess Kaguya
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Wolf Children
- When Marnie Was There

There is no Akira, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Totoro - I admire them all, but they all didn't do much for me. I can imagine someone loving them though, so keep your mind open and explore this enchauting world of weirdness by yourself.

Well, all the ghibli films are worth a watch.
My favorite weebshit is Akira and you SHOULD check out Full Metal alchemist brotherhood. It's a popular series, so you will find good torrents of it.

After that, maybe move on the evangelion or some shit

Watch a real anime like Death Note

>Are people only able to be sincere when it comes to serious things?
No but I'm not going to reconsider my opinion of such things just because they're sincere about it, The Shaggs were sincere about making music, but it doesn't change the fact that they sucked. Uwe is relatively sincere about what he does, but his stuff's shit. I don't have to like the majority of what comes out and that's okay.

>How is that bait?
In the Cred Forums sense or marketing one, mainly because it's an incredibly shallow genre that relies on cliches along with it's heterosexual appealing ilk. I personally don't give a fuck if someone watches it.

>Have you ever considerd comparing adaptations to the originals on a case-by-case basis instead of making assumptions?
No, because I'm not going to bother with wasting twelve hours of my life on something that I've already seen and played at least >30 hours of. I have before in the case of Valkyria Chronicles and Persona 4 and I've found it to be a waste of hard drive space at best. Heck, even the recent DR3, which isn't even an adaptation in the technical sense, suffered from pacing issues and that was done by the people in charge.

If you want a sufficient answer that makes you go to sleep happily hugging your daki, it's because I fucking hate anime for the most part and every time I get into something, it's usually a waste of time, space and life that could have been spent doing something better, like coding, doing the dishes, spending time with my partner, or playing video games. There's no one to discuss it with except fucking retards on ANN, MAL, or here without looking like a fucking pedophile. 80% of the shows don't appeal to me and those that do will never gain any traction like you said except with the mouth breathing retards here. And most importantly, I'm arguing ridiculously minute semantics of a medium centered mostly on teenagers made over 5,000 miles away with you.

So OP, this is why anime sucks, you'll become just like us.

You can't accuse something of pandering just because you don't like it. That's not what pandering is.

>In the Cred Forums sense or marketing one, mainly because it's an incredibly shallow genre that relies on cliches along with it's heterosexual appealing ilk
Something is not bait just because you don't like it. That's not what bait is.

>No, because I'm not going to bother with wasting twelve hours of my life on something that I've already seen and played at least >30 hours of.
And yet somehow you just know that the adaptation has to be bad.

>There's no one to discuss it with except fucking retards on ANN, MAL, or here without looking like a fucking pedophile.
What does pedophilia have to do with anything?

>So OP, this is why anime sucks, you'll become just like us.
"Anime sucks because it isn't made for me" is what you are saying in a nutshell.

Shinkai has surpassed Miyazaki. Come at me, bruh.

>"Anime sucks because it isn't made for me" is what you are saying in a nutshell.

Yep, I guess so, happy? What was the fucking point in this stupid fucking argument? You just made me certain that I'm too old for this shit.

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep this up.

>What was the fucking point in this stupid fucking argument?
That you are a narcissist.

>Ghost in the Shell 1+2
>+2
No, 2 was shit.

To be fair, anime is built around a practice of laser targeting to specific demographics and pandering to those specific demographics aggressively.

No one likes all anime, they only like the anime that targeting them.

So like every single medium ever.

And your an antagonistic douche who can do no wrong, right? Must be the life of the party?

> Teletubbies baby
> anime

Sure thing, buddy.

Let me explain to you about anime

There are several tiers of anime fan. WOAH TOTALLY DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH DIFF OPINIONS MIND BLOWN

You have the casual Cred Forums anime watcher, who only watch what I term 'the newfag pool' and think they are the greatest anime ever, then call everything else shit. This group generally watches less than 15 series.

You have the casual anime forum watcher who watches a large range of absolute garbage, including the newfag pool and thinks it's all the greatest shit ever. This group generally watches less than 50 series

Finally, you have the actual anime fan. They watch a wide range of series and genres and generally enjoy the medium while understanding its flaws. They are generally unimpressed after the 100 series point regarding the newfag pool, as they have found better.

For reference, the newfag pool is generally as follows (series do get switched out as the old favorites get forgotten): NGE, Berserk, JoJo, SAO, Attack on Titan, any Kon movie, any GitS series or movie, any edgy 80s/90s gore OVA, Gundam SEED, Kenshin, FMA, Geass, Angel's Egg, Stein's Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Planetes, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Death Note, Ping Pong

Basically anything Cred Forums likes, because Cred Forums has AWFUL taste in anime. A W F U L

>paying this much att

Can I watch the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie everyone is allways talkimg about without any other knowledge of the series? Btw was the exact name?

I just found out the Naruto anime's finally ending. I teared up a little. It's been there for me through so many parts of my life. It's like saying good bye to an old friend.

Yeah sure, go ahead, it's called The End of Evangelion for no reason.

Nobody has been able to prove that this "pandering" exists. Every time it just amounts to: "T-there's tits in this show! As a God-fearing American I find this intolerable! It's... pandering!"

There is some anime that has a very specific appeal but mostly it's wider than that. Even Bakemonogatari has sold over 100K discs.

>No one likes all anime, they only like the anime that targeting them.
I watch almost any kind of anime.

You are a narcissist. That has nothing to do with me and is in no way my fault or responsibility.

No and you'd have to be pretty stupid/ignorant to think that.

Western film is built around a small number of large budget projects built for maximum appeal. Anime is a large number of small budget projects tailored to very specific demographics. east and west production theories are almost diametrically opposed in this sense.

So you're really arguing that if a person says he likes to watch movies, he means every single movie ever, but if he says he likes to watch anime, he means only certain animes that appeal to him? Damn, I knew anime fans tend to be pretty far up their own ass, but this is another level.

Since everyone is allways just discussing this movie I thought its possible. Well thanks foe saving me some time

yep. no pandering here.

and yea, anime has changed a lot in the years since you were born, ~18 years ago. There's a lot less "experimental" anime and a fuck of a lot more moe.

This reminds me, everyone should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's a very good sci-fi type Star Wars kinda show.

>you'd have to be pretty stupid/ignorant to think that.

I'm getting the impression you're being purposefully obtuse for some reason.

Yes, saying you "like movies" means you'll like a very wide range of movies that go out of their way to either appeal to the most people possible or be offensive to as few people as possible.

Whereas anime takes the opposite approach. You either like it (and these days, "it" is mostly cute girls doing cute things) or you fuck off.

super funny meem rite there

And again, you're comparing niche animes aimed at a specific group with all movies. I'm not going to compare a musical with a ghibli film and say that films are pandering because only people who likes musicals would like them. Anime is a medium, just like film is, and the both of them encompass such a wide variety of styles that it would be ignorant to make generalizations about either of them.

The studio in question has never produced anything aside from one or two inconsequential things nobody's ever heard of. The studio only provides production assistance for other people's productions. Even if they were producing things it doesn't mean they would necessarily be free to choose their own projects, as studios are usually contracted by others.

Even back when this was shot (2010 or 2011) there were shows made all the time that weren't for the "obsessive fan market" which I guess is supposed to be a euphemism for "moe" or something. There were studios making all those serious and mature shows that Westerners jerk off to but never actually watch. It just wasn't their studio that was making them.

And then there's daytime anime like Pretty Cure, One Piece, Conan, Doraemon, Gintama, Lupin III and Gundam that are for mainstream audiences. Those hadn't gone anywhere and still haven't.

>and yea, anime has changed a lot in the years since you were born, ~18 years ago.
I'm 32.

>There's a lot less "experimental" anime and a fuck of a lot more moe.
That is what people who don't actually watch anime believe.

>you're comparing niche animes aimed at a specific group with all movies.

Yes, how dare I compare anime in general to movies in general.

I should compare specific animes to specific movies.

Oh wait there's a 99.99% chance the comparison would be the same.

There is no such thing as "broad appeal" anime. The closest to that was escaflowne, and it failed to really draw much in the way of "broad appeal."

>There is no such thing as "broad appeal" anime.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-24/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-12-18/.106799
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-26/shinkai-your-name-is-japan-highest-grossing-film-for-2016/.106907