This shit still makes me mad

This shit still makes me mad.

>good concept
>hard scifi
>high budget thanks to the success of Gravity

And all they were able to do with it was Reddit meme shit.

the book itself was reddit m8

>good concept
It's pretty standard

>hard sci-fi
LMAO kid

>hard scifi
If you think any major Matt Damon headed release is featuring hard scifi ur fuckin fooling yourself

this. OP clearly hasn't read the book. if anything, the book was even more reddit than the movie.

What was wrong with it? It was enjoyable enough.

Yeah, wasn't the book legitimately written on or for Reddit? I don't know how anyone could have expected something good.

OP can't enjoy something if it's too mainstream. I think that is about level 4 on the Autis-meter.

>im gonna science the shit outta this!
>fuck you Neil Armstrong!
>Space sucks ass dude!

direct lines from the book. the movie didnt stand a chance.

>literally cannot read between the lines
>imposes his stupid examples on the community

Can't you just leave

It's interesting that so many of you don't think it's hard sci fi. I saw this movie with the astronomy club at my school (we got advanced screening) which is composed of about 90% physics majors and we all agreed that it was pretty scientifically accurate. That being said, I thought it was stlil very cringe and some of the stuff ended up nbeing mroe of an extended analogy than a scientific explanation.

But seroiusly this movie does science better than most movies.

Did it bother you how, for most of the movie, people on Earth/Mars/in space are shown text chatting with each other, seemingly in real time, without anyone mentioning or explaining the latency?

It's just white space between the lines, user.

They actually toned down the 'reddit' compared to the book.

Yeah well with this and Elysium Matt Damon was up for a two-fer on big budgets and decent sci-fi concepts being wasted on average-tier storylines.

>hard scifi
>I'm gonna science the shit out of this

Its unbelievable that NASA would get an Astronaut to Mars before a private space company.

>average-tier storyline
Elysium is 1/10 abyssmal.

>I'M GONNA SCIENCE THE MOTHERHFUCKIN SHIT OUT OF THIS GAY NIGGER ASS LITTLE PLANET

Honestly this line went a bit too far for my tastes.

>What is editing?
There's latency. It's mentioned. Just edited around to have good pacing.

Are you actually retarded? It's specifically spoonfed to you in the movie multiple times that latency is present in the communications. I'm sorry that the movie didn't show forty minutes of Matt Damon chilling with his dick in his hand just waiting for a response. Are all of your issues with this movie so babby-tier?

This desu... The movie was fun, not all science fiction movies need to be about galactic empires or time travel or a big spoopy monster

Here's a challenge for your mouth-breathers: tell me concisely why you hate this movie without mentioning Reddit or without hating on the four or five "Reddit" one-liners that you guys continually parrot over and over

Please enlighten us, intelligent gentlesirs, how any part of this movie wasn't hard sci fi
>inb4 unrealistic storm
>inb4 unrealistic spaceship

L i t e r a l l y the only two things you can possibly complain about, and they're firmly "hard sci fi lite", within the context of a movie that is otherwise wholely realistic

>tell me why you think this movie is bad without mentioning why the movie is bad

So it's bad because it's "Reddit". W o w, convincing argument dude

I haven't seen the movie, only read the book. It's pretty cringe as well, but it was clear that the author at least put effort into the science side even if it was hammed up
I refuse to watch a movie where there's a chance a character will use the term "pirate-ninja" unironically

t. redditor

A question for people who read the books: Assuming the ending is similar, did they talk about the wicked case of the bends you'd get from cutting your spacesuit?

>hard science fiction
>storm on Mars destroys research habitat

Nope. Whole premise was flawed.

Life support atmosphere was lower pressure with reduced nitrogen %. So no big nitrogen bubbles, once he got into his regular pressure he would be ok.

I don't like to use the word reddit, but it was easily the most reddit movie i have ever watched. I haven't watched any capeshit this decade though

radiation alone would've killed whatney in a couple weeks. Mars, lacking a magnetosphere, gets just about the full dose of radiation the sun spews out.

>that iron man scene

which is why i just watched Interstellar.
god damn i love that film

This, the movie was MUCH less Reddit than the book. It was allot better in general.

I never saw this. Can someone tell me whats redddit about this?

it shows a character using humor to distract himself from the isolation and utter hopelessness of his situation.