Has Hollywood made a movie for smart people in a long time?

Has Hollywood made a movie for smart people in a long time?

BvS. It was to smart for me too enjoy.

Has it ever?

BvS. Here's the hint: Bruce Wayne us the personification of the post-911 West. Work outward from there and you'll fussier some surprising things.

Problem Child 2

How the hell does "discover" auto-correct to "fussier?"

Here's another hint: Zack Snyder is the personification of shitty directing

Syriana

Great suggestion. I really enjoyed that one.

Interstellar

uh, memento?

the artist

The Prestige.

This forced meme was never funny.

Speed Racer

L'ascension du chevalier noir

how do superman, lex, and doomsday fit into this analogy

Every single DC comic adaptation in recent years

>shitty analogies
>movie for smart people

Pcik one.

BvS has bad storytelling, bad characterization and contrived events. Shit like that tends to happen when you let your plot drive your characters.

It was dumb as shit. Shoehorning biblical symbolism and making references to Man of Steel does not a smart movie make.

>It's impossible!
>No, it's necessary.

Orson Welles, eat your heart out.

Well let's see. Bruce sees Superman as the villain, and he is presented as being politically polarizing, fails to see the importance of establishing a public voice and defining himself to the world, all while being held responsible for atrocities in war-torn parts of the world. Hell, the media even paints him as being complicit in the bombing by simple virtue of his inaction and ensuing silence on the matter.

You tell me.

Villain might not be the most accurate description. Let's just say Bruce sees him as a threat.

Coen stuff in general is pretty smart or stimulating and so is PTA. Pick extremely related. It's his best film.

tinker tailor soldier spy

There's some subtle symbolism in this scene. Can you spot it?

Two great suggestions.

So he's Islam?

Can you tell me why it's there?

Yes. He's "moderate" Islam. Want me to continue with the other principals or would you like some time to mull over what they might represent. Don't forget Zod. He figures into it, too.

Pic related.

So he's the US?

While I understand that you posted this it is actually a grey line thing for me. It felt like it was making fun of my intelligence somewhat and that this might have been the whole thing. It still really sticked with me and I can see why people argue about whether it's art or trash. In my eyes it's art.

Wow. So deep.

Pleb.

Patrician.

Learn the difference.

What if I like and understand them all?

Do you consider all of them to be smart films?

The only one listed itt so far

If you can't see artistry in using a well-established character and depicting him as just outside the public's comfort zone in order to make a point, there's no helping you.

Do you think intelligence is a binary?

Let me rephrase: Do you consider the two groups of films equally intellectually satisfying?

A Scanner Darkly

>using a well-established character and depicting him as just outside the public's comfort zone
You need to stop trying to project depth into a flic where there isn't.

so reddit = patrician and intelligent = pleb, got it

Terrence Malick and Woody Allen are still making films, yes.

Batman V Superman

typical Cred Forums hipster contrarian here, ladies and gents.

thats actually a Cred Forumseddit pleb

Next you are telling me either that the steaming turd that was Sucker Punch was a fluke or that it is actually a masterpiece of intellectual cinéma as well

No, I don't, but I don't automatically attribute my enjoyment of them to be an objective metric of their intelligence in lieu of their subjective personal appeal.

It's what the OP was asking for though, you dip.

Patrician.

Pleb.

Learn the difference.

Think about what the title implies. What is a sucker-punch? An even more on-the-nose title would have been "Fapbait and Switch."

what?

Are you trying to springbreak me here or something?

OP asked for films that are objectively equal in their intellectual appeal? Where you draw your line is subjective and arbitrary.

There are two different levels of appreciation for "The Prestige."

Pleb: Tesla somehow miraculously invented an honest-to-God quantum teleporter and you rationalize away Angier's refusal to just make a duplicate to be his "partner," because something, something identity crisis.

Patrician: the device never worked and the entire movie consists of Borden rusing Angier, Angier rusing Borden, and Nolan rusing the audience through the voice of Hooker, the outermost narrative voice of the framework, turning the entirety of the movie into one big magic trick where the audience itself is fooled because it wants to be.