What are the best movies depicting gods and pantheons?

What are the best movies depicting gods and pantheons?

I like the old Clash of the Titans.
Jason and the Argonauts isn't bad either.

Well certainly not that one

i appreciate this movie for depicting gods slightly differently than they are typically, even if the movie fell flat

It's a shame Gods of Egypt was a huge piece of shit, because I enjoyed the aesthetics.

Suicide Squad. Cara is a goddess and I want to worship her filthy swamp witch feet.

I remember seeing the basic premise ("Set and Horus fight over control of Egypt" or something) and thinking "Wow I'd love to see a movie depicting a supernatural war between gods".

Then I saw the trailers and was about as turned off to it as could be. Like a reverse butterface.

That movie is a supremely guilty pleasure of mine
This one too

To be fair, the movie's pretty entertaining once you get over some of the retarded "Transformer" design aspects.

kino incoming

Movies have tried and failed at this. Only TV has ever depicted them in a memorable manner. Pic Related

this one's awesome

Triumph of the Will

I guess I could get around to watching it when I'm all out of anything else.

Even so, the vision I had when I first read the premise would have been fantastic.

I liked Steve Coogan in this.

The correct answer.

I can't believe I didn't think of this. One of the best films Disney has ever given us

Why is Hades always the bad guy?

He was literally the least asshole-ish of the gods...

>But he's in hell lol
>Isn't he, like, the greek devil? xD

He represents Death and to modern people that makes him a natural villain. You should watch Hercules & Xena, they portray him as nothing more than an overworked bureaucrat and the underworld is an underfunded government project

He was definitely bitter about Zeus's position and power. He was the older brother who had to bow down to the younger while also getting shafted when it came to territory. He did NOT want to be the Lord of the Underworld while his brother's got to be rulers of the Sky and the Seas.

Jealousy is a helluva thing. Not to mention he kidnapped his wife. He was just a very unlikeable guy.

Because he lives in the basement

>he kidnapped his wife. He was just a very unlikeable guy.

I dunno, the way these Greek myths play out, that whole affair was equivalent to a Disney-tier romance.

Isn't bride kidnapping something that people did a lot of in the ancient world?

>one of us

is he our guy?

The original is

That's literally the whole basis of the Trojan War

>8th grade
>take ancient Greek classes at school
>one of the other kids is a genuine autist
>we watch Disney's Hercules on the day before Christmas break to compare it to the actual Greek mythology
>Hercules knocks some shit over
>the autist thinks it's funny
>really, really funny
>he laughs for five minutes
>he keeps laughing and starts laughing even louder
>he falls off his chair and pisses his pants
>he's still laughing
>teacher turns the movie off
>the school nurse has to come to calm him down
>it's not working
>we finally get to leave and have Christmas break while the teacher and the nurse try to calm the kid down
>after Christmas break a teacher tells us not to address the event near the autist because otherwise he might kill himself
>to this day I haven't seen all of Disney's Hercules

What

None of this is true.

Gotta give some love to Stargate for an great take on the Egyptian gods.

t. Hades

>implying they're gods

Clash of the Titans was my favourite film as a child. I watched it with my dad when I was like 6, and I must have watched it a hundred times since.

Gods of Egypt was a great bad movie. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau honed his "being an arrogant but likeable asshole" abilities on Game of Thrones and he notches that shit up to eleven as Horus. Gerard Butler is ten feet tall and fucking screams all of his lines like he's playing Leonidas again, except this time he also transforms into a giant chromed-out robot when he gets pissed. His plan to take over Egypt involves killing the other gods and *ripping their body parts off so he can bolt them to himself in a fucking montage*.

The whole movie is one big string of cliches, yeah. And the writing is pretty cringy at times. And the CGI is... passable. But god damn if it doesn't feel like you're watching 90 minutes of film made buy a guy who smoked a lot of pot and listened to '80s metal albums for ten hours straight. Pure fun.

isn't that album from the 90s doe

It's from 90. I mostly posted it because that cover art is what I thought of whenever they'd go god-mode.

>Impying they arent

>Isn't bride kidnapping something that people did a lot of in the ancient world?

It still happens in Asia.

>Gerard Butler is ten feet tall and fucking screams all of his lines like he's playing Leonidas again

I think this is what p.s. i love you was missing

checked