Now that the dust has settled (;_;), what does Cred Forums think of Threads? Why aren't there more movies like it...

Now that the dust has settled (;_;), what does Cred Forums think of Threads? Why aren't there more movies like it? I thought it was great but a more modern one with a decent budget (ie. not another tv movie) would be great. Would the aftermath of a nuclear war really be that bad? Or would it be even worse?

How did it make Cred Forums feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you want to feel depressed about nuclear war, watch When The Wind Blows (animated in the same style as The Wind In The Willows) or the 1960s mockumentary The War Games.

The War Games' brutal depiction of a nuked England was so terrifying the film was actually banned for almost a decade for 'inciting panic'.

>Would the aftermath of a nuclear war really be that bad? Or would it be even worse?

Worse

>A cobalt bomb is a theoretical type of "salted bomb": a nuclear weapon designed to produce enhanced amounts of radioactive fallout, intended to contaminate a large area with radioactive material. The concept of a cobalt bomb was originally described in a radio program by physicist Leó Szilárd on February 26, 1950.

>A cobalt bomb could be made by placing a quantity of ordinary cobalt metal (59Co) around a thermonuclear bomb. When the bomb explodes, the neutrons produced by the fusion reaction in the secondary stage of the thermonuclear bomb's explosion would transmute the cobalt to the radioactive isotope cobalt-60 (60Co), which would be vaporized by the explosion. The cobalt would then condense and fall back to Earth with the dust and debris from the explosion, contaminating the ground.

>Theoretically, a device containing 510 tons of Co-60 can spread 1g of the material to each square km of the Earth's surface (510,000,000 km2). Radiation output from 1g of Co-60 over one half life is equivalent to 44000 GBq, which is sufficient to kill any inhabitants. If one assumes that all of the material is converted to Co-60 at 100 percent efficiency and if it is spread evenly across the Earth's surface, it is possible for a single bomb to kill every person on Earth. However, in fact, complete 100% conversion into Co-60 is unlikely, as 1957 British experiment at Maralinga showed that Co-59's neutron absorption ability was much lower than predicted, resulting in a very limited formation of Co-60 isotope in practice.

>Assume a cobalt bomb deposits intense fallout causing a dose rate of 10 sieverts (Sv) per hour. At this dose rate, any unsheltered person exposed to the fallout would receive a lethal dose in about 30 minutes (assuming a median lethal dose of 5 Sv).

You got 30 minutes to GTFO when the radiation starts falling.

I've actually downloaded those after reading the wikipedia for Threads after watching it, thanks.

>tfw no nuclear cobalt holocaust movie
Wouldn't it be better than yet another capeshit movie?

>How did it make Cred Forums feel?
I felt bad for the main girl who was so worried about her fiance who cucked her while she was pregnant with his kid and she didn't know about it.

I've also downloaded the Day After but I think i'd heard on Cred Forums before that it's not nearly as good or dreary.

The War Games is the only film which made me feel physically sick.

Threads has the veneer of fiction which softens the blow. The War Games is basically just a polite man explaining why you're definitely going to die horribly for it's entire run time.

>Wouldn't it be better than yet another capeshit movie?

The cobalt bomb needs to be kept secret for as long as possible, it's got literally no use past destroying land for humans and all other animals.

Fuck dat shit yo.

How is it secret though

bump

On a side note; it looks like the Youtube copyright nazis have nuked all versions of the film online to watch for free on Youtube. Anyone with a copy want to reupload it for people to watch?

I got it off the piratebay senpai. Watch it

>How did it make Cred Forums feel?
Horrified.
Threads & Animatrix are the two movies that have haunted me the most.

One thing that did annoy me and annoys me in all those movies is that no one gives a shit until it's too late.
If I saw on the news that Russian forces were directly attacking American I'll be gtfo of my city with a car full of water, toilet paper and food to at least attempt to survive.

"testament" was a pbs film made in the 80's about nuclear war. also, "letters from a dead man" is a russian film about nuclear war. gives you a different perspective.

But that did happen in the movie. Tons of people were getting out and clogging up the roads after looting shops.

It was the cold war. There were tonnes of mini conflicts going on around the world that were nothing more than proxy wars waged by Russia and the US. Shit only got heavy in a couple of days and by then it was too late.

Also, it's England. Where the fuck are you going to go? In the US driving to an underpopulated area could save you. In the UK it's far harder to put a significant distance between yourself and any major metropolitan area.

In terms of films that dealt with nuclear war as a theme I've seen:
-The sacrifice
-Where the wind blows
-Threads
-Dead man's letters
-On the beach
-Fail safe
-The war game

Are testament and In the Year 2889 worth watching? I haven't seen those.

You are a nice user. Thanks, I'm downloading them now. I just hope letters from a dead man works, piratebay said it only had 1 seeder and the torrent says remaining time unknown right now

>The sacrifice
>On the beach
>Dead man's letters
>Fail safe

Thanks based user, I've added these too.

>you will never be the last man alive after a nuclear apocalypse and have your choice of the women
JDIMSA

watch this one

youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

bump

>watching The War Game because of this thread
>tfw police shooting people that are burned over more than half of their body

W-why? ;_; Would that really happen?

They're putting them out of their misery because there was no helping them and prolonging their suffering would just be cruel you dip. If you were that fucked up you would pray for some hero's bullet to end it too.

Please don't bully. It's just all so shocking and saddening.

Sorry, bullying is my natural state.

would the survivors envy the dead?

jfc mew

what is jfc

That birthday hat really messes with the tone of the poster and the movie.

bump

Are nuclear armageddon movies the best type of armageddon movies?

bump

O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji 1985
(O-Bi, O-Ba: The End of Civilization)

I had to watch it in two steps because I suddenly got really tired half way into the movie (it was very late) but I liked it.

yes
i wonder why though

maybe because it's the most plausible scenario, man-made yet something we've never experienced so the mind fills in the blanks with dread and terror?

Day After is almost kind to tame compared to Threads. The best American-family-nuke-kino is Testament, which has a similar plotline to the first half of Threads.

>The cobalt bomb needs to be kept secret for as long as possible
Wow you're fucking retarded

>When The Wind Blows
Fun fact: "When the Wind Blows" was animated by the same team that made British Christmas classic "The Snowman", the same house is used as the home of both sets of protagonists. Providing the horrifying implication that the whimsical magical world of the Snowman eventually ended up being bathed in nuclear fire

The Snowman and When The Wind Blows are both based on comic books drawn by Raymond Briggs. The characters in WTWB are loosely based on his parents.

Countdown to Looking Glass is also pretty good.

Yeah, I know that stuff. But the house is *literally* the same makes the fact that my family insists on watching The Snowman at Christmas really fucking awkward (because none of them have seen When the Wind Blows)

It's not *literally* the same though, this is headcanon you have created because it's the same artist. Do all rural English cottages look the same to you? Briggs has drawn a vague connection to his parents in WTWD but this idea it's the Snowman house is something you just came up with as a kid.

>falling for le nuclear winter meme in the year of jezus 2konesix

is the snowman any good?

good docu.

This looks great, thanks user.

I'm watching Testament right now. Why are these movies so depressing yet comfy at the same time? And why doesn't PBS make movies like it anymore? That scene with the guy fingering his wife and she retaliates by sticking her finger up his ass.

bump

It's shit for burgers.

What did you think of Threads?

The reason that it's so effective is because it's so low budget and has no bullshit