What do you call a work that is socio-political but is created with the specific intent to be aesthetic...

What do you call a work that is socio-political but is created with the specific intent to be aesthetic, not to further a cause?

Pretentious hipster bullshit

/thread

don't be mean.

don't be mean to me

rude

To be purely aesthetic according to the maker?Because I think even then it would be impossible for it not to be interpreted to have a message that the producer or writer didn't want to (or didn't realise he was) conveying.

Also give some examples.

I don't mean to say that the work is necessarily entirely without bias(although, ideally), but simply that it is referring to a political or social scenario and playing on it with the objective of creating an aesthetic work. Tai Pei, Infinite Jest, Citizen Kane, Deus Ex.

That's pretty spot on, imo. Hipsters can't say or do anything without an insulating layer of irony.

What does irony have to do with what OP described?

>Infinite Jest
>not having an agenda
Read it again kid

its called ur gay by op

Maybe, but that was not the point, what I'm essentially asking is, what is the word for a work that uses a political or social scaffold to create an aesthetic work.
If you don't think Infinite Jest was foremost an aesthetic work you have to read it again as well. You can argue that it's shit though

Dis nigga went to film school...

ayo lil nugga

Having a socio-political message but being more concerned with aesthetics is pretty ironic.

Synecdoche New York. Social, not political

I-I'm not asking for examples, I'm asking what works like that are called.

Sure, that'd be ironic, but it's not what I'm asking for. Never said anything about a message. you can set a work in Iraq without it being pro-war or anti-war. You can make a fantasy work that reflects on the political climate of the world without it actually having a message, rather than just working off the nature of humanity to create an aesthetic work.

Didn't DFW say that he was so fucked up he doesn't even remember what some bits are supposed to be about?

They don't have a name. Now fuck off

don't hurt my feelings.

I feel like that's impossible, since if you're being socio-political you are presenting some sort of reality to the viewers on how society/politics currently are. There's really no way to present this without having some sort of inherent bias that will appear like you're furthering a cause. While it's possible you can create something without the intent of furthering a cause, a large number of people will think "this display of the reality of politics doesn't match with my idea of the reality of politics" and think it's trying to forward a stance they don't believe in.