Halloween Movie Recommendations

I'm trying to put together a list of movies to watch throughout the month, about one movie for each day.

>lulz chek dis bitch procrastinatin n shit its alraedy oct 3

I...uh...s-shut up.

I haven't delved into the horror genre in a very long time, so I tried picking a random movie on Netflix yesterday and I ended up watching one called "Holiday", and it was...interesting.

Then I tried one called "Ouija Experiments". I was interested in the whole documentary filming approach, but I don't know, when you have writers trying to splice in exposition in a movie that's suppose to be like a home video, something about it just doesn't seem genuine, or feel genuine at the least.

So I made one last attempt and watched "Hellraiser" (believe it or not, I haven't seen any of the movies in that series) and I have to say: it was pretty good.

Now I just need about 28 more movies plus 2 more to make up for October 1st and 2nd.

Are there any good ones that have come out in recent years that you all recommend? I'll take old and new, I really don't mind, I'm just trying to get back into the Halloween spirit.

Other urls found in this thread:

theyshootzombies.com/ghf1000/hidden-horrors/
youtube.com/watch?v=3pBBLN0w7NY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hush, It Follows, and Don't Breath are some of the first things that come to mind.

check out the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They list. 1,000 of the "best" horror movies. It's a good place to start.

>and I have to say: it was pretty good.
Hellraiser is pure kino, the sequels are all terrible though.

Literally nothing wrong with part 2.

>implying Hellbound isn't even more kino

hellraiser 2 is also quite ok, the rest of the series is kinda shit if i remember correctly.
the witch and the conjouring where pretty decent.
train to busan is supposed to be good but i haven't seen it and it's korean, in case you don't like asian movies.

lake mungo
poughkeepsie tapes
texas chainsaw
possession
repulsion
antichrist
jacob's ladder
suspiria
noroi
a tale of 2 sisters
the changeling
rec
mothman prophecies
ringu
the mist
cannibal holocaust
pet sematary
videodrome

kinda recent:
train to busan (less horror, more zombie flick)
conjuring (2 is meh)
10 cloverfiel lane (more of a thriller but alright)
bone tomahawk (genre bender, pretty fun flick)
the invitation
the final prayer
the witch
the vhs series is alright

some people like babadook, it follows and kill list but i honestly think the endings turned them into shit. if you like hellraiser check out Raimi's stuff

pretty good list

I'm literally at my makeshift desk writing this all down. I was actually thinking of checking that one out, if anything, the thumbnail looks scary as all hell.

Random List of old and new, widely considered good:
[REC]
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Piranha 3D
Halloween
High Tension
Goodnight Mommy
The Babadook
Saw (only the first one)
28 Days Later
The Descent
Pulse
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
The Mist
The Blair Witch Project
The Fly
Carpenter's The Thing
The Others
The Wicker Man (original)
Don't Look Now
The Hills have Eyes remake
Suspiria
Psycho
Nosferatu

On Netflix:
The Host
Creepy
The Honeymoon
We Are Still Here
Jaws
Pontypool
Baskin
Re-animator
The Taking of Deborah Logan

Holy shit, that's pretty good! I might find a way to somehow do a random draw to see which one of those movies to watch for the night. I help my little brother out with his homework during the day, so I only get time during the night to watch stuff.

Is Pontypool actually any good? I was gonna watch it then saw some thread where an user was ranting on about how shit it was.

If you haven't seen the original Texas Chainsaw do yourself a favor and watch that.

I went in not knowing anything and thought it was decent. Not game changing but a decent zombie flick. It's more fun than scary, though

Is the sequel to that one any good?

Not that guy but personally I liked 2 more than 1, but keep in mind 2 is really more satirical than anything else.

2 was made by Cannon Films, that's all that really needs said.

2 is good, but in a completely different way. 2 is just funny. The remake is actually pretty solid as well.

I'd recommend it, it has a great lead actor and very nice atmosphere. not for gorehounds though

The first two TCMs are genuine masterpieces. The rest of the franchise is entirely disposable, though fun at times.

That user was an idiot, Pontypool is fantastic.

i fell asleep both times i tried to watch it

2 was decent, but the bad green-screening in the end really brings it down.

Going through all my physical media, trying to watch the horror that I haven't seen yet. Haven't hit nearly all of it but I should get through a solid chunk this month. Pic related is my watchlist

The only one on that list I have seen is Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders

Hey, that's also pretty good! I forgot to mention earlier that I had also tried to watch High School Musical, and that was more scarier than Hellraiser.

I definitely recommend The Host and Pontypool.

Have you seen the Silent Hill movie yet? When it came out, I heard a huge mix of approvals and disapprovals, and it seemed to be relative to whether the person watching it was a fan of the game or not.

Not him but it's alright, could be a lot worse. I'm a fan of the games and my cousin isn't, we both saw it and liked it

>return of the living dead 3
hope you like dead girls

I watched it in theaters when it came out. It's 'ok' it isn't horrible.

I think the visuals are good for the game but you could miss out on it. I would watch it though because of the visuals/story.

Hellbound is way better than the first one.

The best horror of all time, Friday the 13th Part V

That shit was hot and this movie was fucking bold.

Anybody else watch this expecting it to be good?

Never seen it, never played the games either. Was more of a Halo 2 guy

You got me anxious, user

Some not mentioned yet and some I think are underrated gems:

The Exorcist III: Legion
The People Under the Stairs
Dolls
Candyman
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Shocker
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Dog Soldiers
Cursed
The Howling
An American Werewolf in London

>The first two TCMs are genuine masterpieces.
I wouldn't go that far. Don't get his hopes up about TCM 2. It's got some really good practical effects but the performances are annoyingly cheezy.

No. Everything after 2 is complete garbage. 3 is somewhat watchable, I guess.

This. TCM2 has some redeeming quality as a radically different oddball sequel but it's not very good overall.

>the creepy Hobo was actually a dragon

also the ending where the girl runs around using the Rubix Cube as a laser pew pew pew pewing some Gay S&M Aliens was dumb

>The People Under the Stairs

I found that pretty funny and i wanted the father to win

Great film though

It's a super underrated Wes Craven movie for sure. I always recommend it in these threads.

Why, did you?

Don't remember 3 but I remember a space type one really creeping me out.
I expected it to be good. Considering the franchise.
>It's not even from my butt-hole

oh, lord

It was written in a weekend to keep the rights. No Bradley no buy

>from the butt-hole of clive barker
would watch

Yeah, I didn't get that bit. Does the hobo dragon get explained or have anything to do with the other movies?

>kill list

I can't remember any movie I've watched that went from thriller masterpiece to almost complete shit after the 2/3 mark.

Watch Sleepaway Camp

The original is pretty silly by today's standards imo. The only scenes I liked was 1 at the beginning with that retard talking about killing cattle and wheelchair guy death . I'm only 25 though and watched it recently, it must've been pretty cool when it came out, but today it's just another horror film.

Clive Barker it up, my man.

Nightbreed
Midnight Meat Train
Hellraiser 1 & 2
Lord of Illusions

For me it's the poorest movie to get good reviews or to even be appreciated.

How fucking normie can you get. Those movies aren't scary at all.

>Midnight Meat Train
Surprisingly good for such a gay name.

Lovecraftian movies
From Beyond (cheesy late 80s/early 90s style, great cast, soundtrack and cinematography all around)
In The Mouth Of Madness (prime Carpenter starring based Sam Neill)
Dagon (early 2000s, same director as From Beyond and Reanimator)

I'm the Lord of the Harvest!

wait does he fight some guy dual wielding 2 chainsaws?

Something like that. I haven't seen it for about 10 years.

Kill list is the only good horror/thriller in years.

You definitely need to watch Hellbound:Hellraiser 2. It's a great movie, some people even like it better than the first one. The rest of the sequels are all varying levels of crap though (I kinda enjoyed 4 but it's nowhere near as good as 1 and 2).

Other movies I would recommend:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original, not the remake)
Saw 1, 2, and 3
Cannibal Holocaust
Scream
Candyman
Would You Rather (This is a flawed but still enjoyable movie imo)

>Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original, not the remake)

Fucking hate that saying "the original" is now a must thanks to all the crappy remakes, and not just with horror

>The Exorcist III: Legion

I kinda like this movie desu.

At least something good came of one.

Yes. He fights Leatherface. It's amazing.

Watching the movie I was thinking the Gross Hobo was going to be another guy who escaped from the S&M dimension but wanted to get back in. Like it was an addictive drug or something

Not a giant dragon

Whatever

It's not amazing but it's definitely got some good moments. Certainly the best of the sequels by a wide margin.

Event Horizon then Pandorum

Amen to that, same goes for Texas Chainsaw 3D, with Alexandra Daddario.

Candyman's urban gothic setting really sets it apart. Very unique.

literal goddess

Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps 2
House of the Devil
Nightbreed
The Theater Bizarre

This one, in particular.

No one talking about the The Thing? Or does Cred Forums not like it? (I'm a tourist looking for Halloween movies)

I've fapped to the frog witch segment in Theater Bizarre multiple times. Pic related is also pretty hot.

I liked both of those movies premises but felt Event Horizon's execution was rather weak. Especially at the end.

That's one of my favorite scares in any horror movie. So well done.

The Thing is one of the few movies that everyone on Cred Forums can agree is a masterpiece

Love the Ginger Snaps movies.

I get freaked out just seeing that picture.

Hour of the Wolf by Ingmar Bergman. Excellent film about madness, artistic demons, seclusion, and ravenous ghosts. Truly haunting and unsettling.

If you say you dont like The Thing you're officially branded as a cunt that's just the rules.

Masters of Horror only had a handful of worth-watching episodes, desu

Imprint
Cigarette Burns
Fair-Haired Child
Sick Girl
Jennifer
Sounds Like

and Right to Die but only because dat Julia Benson

The dinner table scene is kino, senpai.

I almost feel like The Thing should be required viewing for anyone wanting to make a horror film. The fucking blood test scene is solid gold.

Yeah, It's perfect. It's a jump scare for fucks sake and it's heart in mouth every fucking time!

How are the Alien movies?

The first one is a great horror movie.
The second is a great action movie.
Sadly the series ended there

>How are the Alien movies
Both of them are great. How have you not sen them? (Alien 3 and Resurrection don't exist)

>Jennifer
Goddamn that was a good one. I actually fapped to the part where she was riding the guy beast-style in the car
Also the one with the raccoon skins. Was that Imprint?

No, the raccoon pelts episode was Pelts. I guess that was good too. So was Deer Woman, but that's really more of a comedy, not horror.

Imprint was the one with Billy Drago in Japan and the torture that out-Audition'd Audition

terrible taste trendhopper

Not exactly horror but if you want something of a mindfuck watch

Coherence
Timecrimes
The Bothersome Man

Homecoming and The Screwfly Solution were the best episodes outside Cigarette Burns.

Meh, Imprint bugged me. I thought the blue hair on the girl in the flashback was annoying. Then when the story is revealed to be a lie, I expected a more realistic version with normal hair. Nope. FUCKING BLUE HAIR.

I guess it makes sense in the end, as the woman apparently never existed. Still, pretty annoying.

Should I watch the theatrical, or directors cut of Alien?

Director's Cut.

I don't really think it matters to much. I'd go with directors cut just because of extra content. Definitely go for the extended edition of Aliens though.

The differences are minimal, really, but personally I'd recommend theatrical

Nice.

saw coherence last night, was surprised at how good it was and how they didn't fuck up the ending

>extra content
The Director's Cut of Alien is shorter than the theatrical cut.

Really? I swear it's longer because it has scenes that aren't in the original that they had to cut for time.

Three Extremes is pretty good

Here you go:

Pumpkinhead
The Wishmaster
Leprechaun
Troll

yeah it's definitely a love it or hate it ending

essential shitcore

Pumpkinhead is good, but those others are awful.

>Wishmaster 1
>shit

baka senpai desu

These are all lovably cheesy films. I'll allow it.

some good horrors/thrillers

I Saw The Devil
Martyrs
Visitor Q (very dark comedy)
Ichi the Killer
Audition
Inside
Tokyo Gore Police (more of a comedy)
Three Extremes
Snowtown
Green Room
Afflicted
Ringu
Funny Games
Hostel
V/H/S (amateur night, the rest suck)

The Gate

Good list sir, you are nonpleb

this is a good list

Ju-On: The Curse
Ju On: The Grudge 1 and 2.
Puppet Master
Van Helsing
Cursed (werewolf movie)
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
Trick 'r Treat

Surprisingly good action-horror. Luke Evans is one of my favorite faggots for sure

>inb4 but it's from WWE Films

Gate II

I never see this mentioned here ever

Going to a spooky triple feature in a couple days what am I in for?

>tourist trap
>slithis
>the dark

>Visitor Q
I will never understand how anyone could recommend this or call it "good".

Digital monster

it's definitely a strange movie but i really enjoyed it

Murder Party

Yeah, that's a good one along with 1408 and Secret Window.

The Loved Ones (2009) is intense

Pin
Dead and Buried
Lovely Molly

Pin is a pretty good psychological horror. Dead and Buried isn't particularly scary, but it was a fun watch.
Lovely Molly seems to be kind of divisive. I've heard a lot of people think it's shit, but it really unsettled me when I watched it.

Seconding.

Your going to the New Bev? Cool I haven't been there in years last time I did I saw pic related at a midnight showing

>lake mungo
snooze
>poughkeepsie tapes
a couple good scenes
>texas chainsaw
The original? One of the greatest horror movies ever made. Sequel is a fun watch, too.
>possession
Excellent
>repulsion
Great
>antichrist
Great
>jacob's ladder
I liked it, but I don't consider it a good Halloweentime movie in the least.
>suspiria
Good colors. Complete nonsense like all of his movies, though.
>noroi
Great.
>a tale of 2 sisters
Good from waht little I remember
>the changeling
Good
>rec
One of the best found footage movies you'll come across
>mothman prophecies
Great movie. Just rewatched it recently. Still a little spooky, but don't expect a straightforward horror movie. Demands attention.
>ringu
Good
>the mist
Good. Love the ending
>cannibal holocaust
an essential
>pet sematary
Great
>videodrome
Excellent

>kinda recent:
>train to busan (less horror, more zombie flick)
>conjuring (2 is meh)
>10 cloverfiel lane (more of a thriller but alright)
Great. Not the best spooktober rec but watch it anyway.
>bone tomahawk (genre bender, pretty fun flick)
>the invitation
Much better than expected
>the final prayer
>the witch
Excellent
>the vhs series is alright
If you can manage to filter out the 80% garbage, yeah.

Yup. I don't know if I'll make it through all three movies. Just looking for some spookyness. Finally felt like fall today.

>Candyman
I could just never get into Candyman. I should try to rewatch it this year. I marathoned all of them with a friend last year and all I remember well is the quality of the movies degraded dramatically after the first one.

>tfw I rented Visitor Q in the early days of Netflix and watched it with my mom

Yeah, part 2 had some good bits, but it was just meh overall, and 3 was atrociously bad.

Here's a couple lists I made.

I like their hidden horrors list.

theyshootzombies.com/ghf1000/hidden-horrors/

I thought I'm pretty knowledgeable about horror movies, but I haven't heard about many of these.

>silly by todays standards

I'm 26 and just saw it and thought it was alot better than I expected it.
The bit where he just jumps in and axes that guy in the head and the parts where hes chasing the girl down the chainsaw were perfect.

...but that's a silly opinion, user.

I'm two years younger than you and personally think it's the scariest movie made in America.

youtube.com/watch?v=3pBBLN0w7NY

I can't get into modern horrors. I can watch and appreciate them, but they aren't as fun as the 80s and early 90s horror movies.

What are some good /VHScore/ horror movies? Like pic related and Street Trash.

I absolutely agree user. Though I honestly can't pinpoint as to why I feel that way.

Any horror movies where I can shout JUST at the characters whenever they fuck up badly or end up losing to the antagonist?

I guess it depends on what modern movies you watch.

The Fly.

Anyone got a link for the 'Nightmare on Elmstreet" documentary?

Ringu

The Blob.

That's the only enjoyable part of Would You Rather.

binge watch Ash vs Evil dead

The Lost Boys
Night of the Comet
Night of the Creeps
The Blob
Vamp
Fright Night
Demons
Dead Heat
Christine

Pretty nifty idea for October viewing. I never plan anything for my October.

Have you seen The Cabin in the Woods?

>Ebola Syndrome
Going to recommend the Untold Story along with that one. Any Cat III movie starring Anthony Wong is a guaranteed treat.

This list is great altogether. Never really noticed my own affinity for 90s horror. It's just so comfy.

Good thread Cred Forums, thank you

Adding~
Night of the Demons
Frankenhooker
Basket Case
Death Spa
The Deadly Spawn
Slumber Party Massacre
Bad Channels
Sleepaway Camp II+III (maybe I'm wrong, but I think the first got a theater release)

Thanks man, decided on using themes after just throwing random movies together for the first one. It's fun giving yourself some limitation like 31 different directors or 31 different years and seeing what you can find.

Just finished Price of Darkness (I think that should be on someone's list) and about to dive into The Blob

Also, Green Room is really fun.

Thanks boys, seen some of these and they're exactly what I'm asking for. They don't have to be officially straight-to-VHS, just the type of fun and goofy shit you'd buy from the dollar video bin.

Frank Henenlotter and Stuart Gordon are your friends.

You mean except the shit Doctor character and the fact that they humanized the cenobites and ruined them as mysterious entities.

ghost kino

>living the dream.jpg

Same. Maybe because most of them are just super low effort flicks that just follow a formula or being so out there that it doesn't know what it wants to be anymore.

I'll admit Beyond the Black Rainbow falls into the latter category for me. I get the homage to slashers but it just fell flat imo. I'll consider rewatching it if I get shrooms next time

Just watched Suspiria for the first time and it was pretty spooky.

Plan is to watch 31 horror movies this month.

How many years could I do this before I ran out of decent movies to watch?

Lulz

Would you recommend the Italian version or the dubbed version?

I've been watching at least 60 a year for 3 years and still have a pile of stuff to watch.

dead snow 2

Most of those listed in the posts are not straight-to-VHS.

Death Spa and Bad Channels are probably the only ones.

Some great looking filmographies, thank you.

Fook yeah. Hated Dead Snow 1, and 2 was balls-out Troma fun!

The main actress is Jessica Harper who doesn't speak Italian, so it's gonna be dubbed anyway. I'd go with the English one.

Whoops I'm drunk and the Sleepaway Camp note confused me.

Anyone here excited for Phantasm Ravager?

Dead Silence and The Serpent and the Rainbow.

>Dead Silence
Get ready for a whole lot of slight blue filter.

The doctor was really interesting, how he studied his sadomaso fetishism in a scientific way, rather than in a purely impulsive "passionate" way. And I thought it was interesting to see how cenobites were made, as human beings first. Basically, this sequel tried to expand on its universe, while retaining the atmosphere of the first one and adding some gore and SFX. I'm a die-hard fan of Hellbound.

Too bad the rest range from cool (Hellseeker) to amusing (Bloodlines) to pure garbage (Hellworld).

I feel the opposite

>they all suddenly speak english now
half the fun was it being in snowpeople speak

1 tried too hard to be the next Evil Dead/Braindead. Plus shitty cgi splatter.

>1 tried too hard to be the next Evil Dead/Braindead
you say that like its a bad thing

>1 tried too hard to be the next Evil Dead/Braindead.
I feel the same, it was too much homage and not enough original good movie on its own (though I appreciated it for what it was). The sequel was loads of fun though.

I fucking love that movie, one of my favorite.

You should watch Dread and Books of Blood if you haven't already. Especially Dread IMO.

I expected it to be so bad that I ended up not hating it. It had basically the same plot as the first one if I remember well. It was also much better than Hellworld.

On topic, I recommend Stagefright, one of my favorite relatively obscure slashers.

>dead silence

shit movie

Agreed.

Stagefright is too overlooked. It's great.

Just watched it. Definitely shit.

Tourist Trap is super weird and disjointed but worth a watch. Not familiar with the other two.

my favs, probably a lot already mentioned in here but w/e
the wicker man
invasion of the body snatchers
dont look now
videodrome
the brood
scanners
ravenous
rosemarys baby
the devils
altered states
the omen
funny games
santa sangre
the thing
witchfinder general
misery
re animator
the sentinel
spider baby, or the madest story ever told

I just watched Event Horizon, they should've left the cartooney CGI out, it had a good premise and all but I don't get the hype

>Marathoning the Sci-fi Halloween block