I don't get it. I swear to God, I'm not trying to be a hipster here...

I don't get it. I swear to God, I'm not trying to be a hipster here, I'm not trying to do the "herp I'm so special I don't like what everyone else likes" thing, I genuinely don't understand why people love this show. I was bored when i started it, but i pushed through because it had so much love on the internet I was sure something amazing would happen in a latter episode, then it's just...never did. Fucking RLM used this show to break their rule once and only once to review a show instead of a movie. screen junkies brought a professor of physics to explain it. the internet went mad. AND IT'S FUCKING NOTHING. IT'S SO BORING AND LIFELESS AND DULL

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Other urls found in this thread:

wmagazine.com/gallery/stranger-things-actress-millie-bobby-brown#2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I thought the first half was great but the second half was bad enough that I will not watch the next season.

fine, then. first half. what's great about it? what's so interesting? were you invested on if small tits sister will fuck ridiculous hair man?

When I first saw it I thought it was pretty great but after re-watching its nothing special.

iunno, the emotional attachment part of it?

it just made me really emotional and nostalgic. the characters were adorable, they had some really heartwarming and sweet moments and its just easy to fall in love with.

If you genuinely weren't trying to be a hipster you wouldn't have typed out a blog post confirming that you are, indeed, genuinely disliking it

>were you invested on if small tits sister will fuck ridiculous hair man?
uhh... what?

I was interested in where Will was you weirdo.

>80s nostalgia
>90s nostalgia
>Cool intro
>Cool title
>'Creepy' vibe

It's intended for manchildren. Congratulations, you're an adult.

if you're not hooked from the first episode's dialogue-free pre-title build up of a scientist being killed by something we don't see, you're obviously not the intended audience for this type of show or the genre.

i'm gonna take a wild guess here and say you were born post-2000 so you can't understand enjoying things that aren't constantly winking at you, acknowledging their self awareness, breaking the fourth wall, or any other youtube trend.

Maybe because other people like things that you don't?

How new are you exactly?

that's fine, but when apparently everyone else likes something i don't it makes me interested in why that is
i was born in 1990. but even if i was born post-2000, you'd still be a pretentious prick

ah look, the resident contrarian. awful day we're having yes?

I was excited about it and I'm typically optimistic in my attitude towards media as opposed to the asshurt contrarians here, but I was really underwhelmed. The show was trope after trope, and making your main characters kids is a good way to doom your script to shallow, uninteresting tripe before anything is even written, even if you do get lucky with their acting ability. It did seem to be clearly made for young audiences, as nothing interesting happens and no risks are taken. They have this cool premise of a connection with an alternate "evil" dimension and almost nothing unsettling actually occurs.

I am just stating an objective fact.

Case in point:

What's not to like about interdimentional aliens eating people?

Atmosphere, characters, decent direction and cinematography, music, and nostalgia that felt earned instead of thrown at the screen.

Also, IT is my second favorite King novel, and the kids and their relationships are heavily inspired by it.

So personally, I loved it.

Holy shit, how is Cred Forums this stupid? Posters complaining that a homage to 80s movies (not the 80s) is full of unoriginal ideas? No fucking shit.

even if you were born fifty years ago, you'd still be an uncultured prick incapable of appreciating schlock

Given how outrageously popular 80s nostalgia is amongst millennials I'm surprised there aren't more shows with that setting.

The show has definitely picked up a boost from the buzz that came about after talks of a Twin Peaks reboot. It has similar looking title, similar setting, somewhat similar supernatural/mystery/conspiracy themes.

>it was full of unoriginal ideas on purpose
>therefore you have to like it

I don't care the reason, making uninteresting, predictable garbage is stupid. Casting kids is stupid. If you're going to make a show about an evil alternate dimension and a seedy corporation attempting to harness it, make it gory, terrifying, and something you can't show your kids. The show is useless, like something you'd see on Cartoon Network 15 years ago.

>They have this cool premise of a connection with an alternate "evil" dimension and almost nothing unsettling actually occurs.

That's not the fucking premise in this show. And that's what season two is likely aiming for.

>You plebs just don't get it, it's MEANT to be boring

>homages are for manchildren
thats a pretty sad way to look at it. i think theres value in looking back at the past and reminiscing

Oh, so you are a contrarian shitposter.

I guess I'll save myself the time instead of proving to a child that a simple show is too intellectual for him.

Funny you mentioned Cartoon Network, it's on the later night counterpart that I've first seen Poltergeist and the second the kid disappeared it reminded me of that movie, good movie.

He's a shitposter. Don't look too much into his shit opinions

>gory
>terrifying
choose 1 faggot

But isn't this an entierly self conscious "homage" to the 80s, with references and such? I mean, even the logo is done as a reference to something else.
Pretend innocence and/or honesty is the ultimate form of cynicism.

>Casting kids is stupid
Yeah because that didn't work out at all for Stranger Things right?

show reminded me of Tower Prep for some reason. i have no idea why they're not even similar

You're right. There's nothing wrong with having a comfy, nostalgic show. That's fine. The point of the thread is that this show doesn't have anything more than that, that the OP doesn't see why it has been hyped up to be anything more than that.

>I swear to God, I'm not trying to be a hipster here, I'm not trying to do the "herp I'm so special I don't like what everyone else likes" thing

With this statement, it's obvious that you're aware of your bias. You don't like this simply because everyone else does and you weren't in the right frame of mind to watch it. You decided to give it a try because everyone liked it despite not wanting to. Simple as that. And now that you've declared your opinion and made this thread, nothing will ever change your mind. I honestly feel bad that you've missed out on something you could've probably enjoyed, had the stars aligned.

I kept thinking they were doing a thing and the "girl" would be a boy in the end, because that girl looks like a fucking boy

i appreciate originality as much as the next shitposter, but quality in film is just as much about the execution. we've all seen a thousand car chases, gun fights/fist fights etc but that doesnt mean the next one doesnt have the potential to impress or engage us. the story may not have been particularly interesting i guess, but the characters carried the show. i loved watching the interactions and i think thats what most people watch the show for.

why is casting kids stupid? these kids acted decently enough and everyone loves em.

they didnt want gory and terrifying, they wanted a childhood adventure story like goonies, thats the tone they wanted to hit and they hit it all right.

About as much a boy as Annie Lennox looks like a man in the Sweet Dreams video.

The androgynous look works for her. In my opinion.

She only looks like a boy in the show

Why the fuck is she doing a sexy photoshoot? Who the fuck photographed this?

Why the fuck to people do this? It's obvious that it's exclusively for people to masturbate to.

Nailed it.

>being this contrarian while overly trying to seem non-contrarian

>sexy photoshoot
there's nothing sexy about it you pervert.

>That
>sexy photoshoot
Pick one (1)

kinda i guess? but kids at that age all look pretty androgynous.

Not that guy but I went into this not having heard much about it other than that it was really good. I was pretty excited after the intro, opening credits etc., but after 3 episodes I just wasn't that into it. It has all the surface elements of a good show, it just doesn't have a lot of substance to it.

I guess my disappointment is more to do with my expectations and I what I wanted; I was hoping for a gripping, frightening thriller, instead I got a a comfy, nostalgic mystery.

you answered all of your questions yourself

I'm with you OP. I feel like I'm missing out on some inside joke that everyone else gets. I was born in the 80s. I liked Twin Peaks. I feel nothing for Stranger Things. There's too much great tv out there, I can't justify forcing myself through another episode. I wish I got what everyone else is getting. Winona was terrible and that """""""girl"""""" didn't help either.

>implying your missing anything

you werent missing out on anything with archer, game of thrones, ant man, or deadpool either

OP doesn't understand that concepts alone don't carry a show. Execution is incredibly important and Stranger Things had quality execution. It wasn't forced 80 memes like Kung Fury but was able to accurately recreate the style of various 80s directors without it seeming like a bland clone.

that 2nd picture seems to me like a pretty blatant attempt at sexualizing her. but its hollywood and america, what do you expect. theyve got beauty pageants and shit for toddlers or whatever. shits fucked yo.

its fucking working too, i think shes a cute.

wmagazine.com/gallery/stranger-things-actress-millie-bobby-brown#2

the rest of them are fine. its just the first 1 thats like that.

>projecting

S1 of GOT was pretty good. plus lena heady, i'll watch anything with her

You must be in your 40s because I couldn't connect with anything from those 80's characters

>that 2nd picture seems to me like a pretty blatant attempt at sexualizing her.
That's just you

uhm... look, i need to know if im bloody becoming a pedo or something. can someone else weigh in?

I hope you're trolling. The other pictures were even sexier. Fuck this earth. How am I supposed to get into Heaven when shit like this exists?

>the entire point of the show is to emulate other, better works
>this makes it good because it was stylisticaly desiged to be that way

you should probably kill yourself now because what the other inmates will do to you will be much worse

I don't know, without the 80s setting this show wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the traction it did. I agree that you don't need a unique story to have a good show, I mean the premise in True Detective was as generic as they come but it was still interesting for the most part. I aint mad though, anything that gets 'hyped' will have maybe 10% of people who it really resonates with, 40% people who like it because critics/social media say they should, and 50% who don't get it, of which a vocal subset rants about how the show is awful and anyone who likes it is an idiot, pleb etc.

>You found out a few days ago Natalia Dyer is older than you by nearly a year

>1998

I mean. Holy shit. I know I shouldn't be here at nearly 26 but like... what the fuck. 1990 doesn't seem that farfetched. I need to fucking leave.

You've got it backwards.

Hipsters LOVE Stranger Things because of how quirky and nostalgia pandering it is.

It's better than average and people aren't able to be objective about things. It's the same reason people like Netflix's Daredevil so much. Anything with a hint of originality with a touch of actual storytelling skill will inevitably be loved by the masses. Fandom takes control of these people.

Anyway, it actually was better than average. If you don't think it was, chances are you were just being a hipster and not giving it the proper benefit of the doubt.

>spoopy monster
>developing mystery
That's what made it for me. It was like LOST except it answered questions in a reasonable amount of time and in a satisfactory way.

dude, im 24 and im probably a lost cause, if you're anything like me, your fucking doomed.

you NEET?

Fuck you. L O S T was the pinnacle of television.

>How you want your legs senpai?

Key word: almost

I'll be 19 by the end of the month so I expect some tendies in cake form from you.

Ye. Girls have tried to jump my bones about a dozen times but I didn't want them to see my 5 inch dick that curved down.

ive been 18 for 2 years now

fuck, i didnt even notice.

look how fucking bowed in his knees are. his legs are fully spread apart but his knees are still touching.

iktfb

93 here and I'm slowly but surely getting to old for this place.

The thought that I'm talking to people born 98-2002 makes me feel sick

if thats happening you're probably not a completely autistic spazlord and have a chance.

who cares, 5 inches isnt micropenis at least, its not kys bad.

I'm sure I could sex easily enough without a girl mocking me to my face but I don't like the idea that I'll be mocked the next day to her hotter best friend.

Sorry you died as a teenager, Mr. Spook.

how old are you?

Yes the same user.

Not if you are drawn in by the mysteries more than or as much as the characters.

Every mystery in LOST had a dissatisfying conclusion.

>what are the whispers
>oh those are just ghosts
>what is the monster
>oh that was just a dude who fell in magical radioactive piss because that turns you into black smoke for no discernible reason unless you're Jack in which case it just kills you, eventually

Stranger Things actually made some level of sense and had a logic to it. And they were constantly feeding more clues into the mythology in every episode. And that was still with a pretty good story and characters on top of that.

LOST just used mysteries as bait and theory fodder so they could lead you on forever.

>how am I supposed to get into heaven with shit like this around
Great line. Tweaked it a bit. I'm stealin it.

i read something about how these types of shows have great market appeal because their about kids, so they appeal to kids, retro 80's shit is really popular so all the 20 somethings will eat it up, and all the people in their 40's who actually grew up then will love it cuz NOSTALGIA

this
some things were great, especially the ambientation and surprisingly the kid actors
the monster was the shittiest part of it by far, fucking cheap vietnam flower motherfucker

Not gonna lie

My benis twitched when I saw pic related

Born 1991, I have no nostalgia for the 80s, but I still found the environment and setting relly comfy and nice. Definitely the right stuff to watch at a raining autumn evening.

Is it possible that this is just due to the angle ? That looks very unsettling

It's not great but still better than most of the other trash today. Wouldn't rewatch though.

Other oyster here:
I used to frequent /fit/, not soooo much for lifting advise, but for funny stories and memes (some advice is good there, drinking milk and doing squats). But holy shit, today they are nearly all teenagers who know absolutely nothing about lifting and aren't even funny anymore..
This board has at least still some original memes and okay discussions (except the stranger things cast pedo posts and capeshit)

nah, look at the actual knee, its bent backwards. i think it must be a symptom of his genetic disorder.

i havent been to tv in several months and just started up again recently.

i dont remember those dancer girls being spammed before, when the shit did that start?

I am here 'more regularly for like half a year, I think the pedo posts have been here at least for this time. For me, it's really annoying, when stranger things threads start mutating in pedo threads...I am surprised, It hasn't happened yet..

I hate the goonies, would I like this?

Damn, you're so unique OP, very few people share your opinion and that means you are different and special, probably smarter than everyone else too.

>I am surprised, It hasn't happened yet..

bruh. it already did.

kek I was also born in '98 and have been on the site since I was at least 11 or 12. It's always been this way you fucktard, all my friends used to use at least Cred Forums by 8th grade, there's probably kids born as late as 2004-2005 on here because of how early they're indoctrinated into internet culture these days. I don't get why people act like it's a new thing for young people to be on here.

has there been any word on S2, is it going to be the same cast?

s2 has been ordered and filmings either already begun or gonna begin really soon this month. no news on cast. though with the popularity of el, shes probably gonna come back.

>probably
It would be a major league fuckup if they don't so i think it's safe to say she is coming back

I will probably never watch this because of how overhyped the internet has made it.

Sometimes people have different opinions. You obviously just don't like this show. That's okay. Not all humans have to like the same thing and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable when you dislike something that the majority of people love.

well i mean, if they originally wrote it as el wouldnt come back but changed it to she does come back because of that popularity that means manage rewrites with only 2 months to do them. if thats the case, the 2nd seasons gonna be really bad. shit takes time to write.

I think it'll be alright. They were writing the episodes as they were filming

what? i heard they wrote the scripts 4 years ago.

For the first one or two episodes I think. Pretty sure i read somewhere they were writing episodes as they were filming; at least the last few of them.

I hope she doesn't return, having her sacrifice herself in order to save those around her only to be magically resurrected in the next season would basically make her immortal and nothing could stop her, essentially sapping any tension they might be aiming for in S2.

I thought it was decent. Nothing great but watchable.

Second season with same cast is pretty retarded though.

huh, thats weird. spend 4 years writing episodes 1/2 but only a month writing the rest?

but it was never an explicit sacrifice, we dont know if she died to kill the monster, just that she disappeared.

I was pretty engaged throughout the first 4 5 episodes but after that i kinda lost interest despite finishing the full thing.

What struck me about the huge reaction of the internet and the general public is that the show works a lot better when you marathon it in one day, a product of the shift in tv culture towards seeing the field of tv without time constraints.

Gone is the age of the radio times and DVD bins
Watch netflix and make a facebook post about Stranger Things

just wait 5 or 10 more years and you're still on here, then you'll understand. Once you hit a certain age you realize talking and reading about the opinions of others on Cred Forums is just not worth it.

>but it was never an explicit sacrifice, we dont know if she died to kill the monster, just that she disappeared.

It's implied that she died. Anything less and the finale loses most if not all of its emotional impact.

>WHAT AM I MISSING
Your nostalgia glasses

My girlfriend loves it, and she is a fucking idiot that doesn't know shit about good film or television so there is that... popular shit is often shit.

Nah. El won't be absolute center of attention in season 2 anyway (or so I'll assume). If anything it's a bad thing if she doesn't come back, that's just throwing away a very significant part of the character chemistry they built up in Season 1. Season 2 will be outside of Hawkins anyway and we'll be introduced to new characters so there will be new tension with them too. Not to mention Will being sick as well.

>huh, thats weird. spend 4 years writing episodes 1/2 but only a month writing the rest?
They filmed for half a year and i think it was only episode 7 and 8 they wrote from the start.

and its implied she survived with the cop leaving eggos in the woods.

its ambiguous. it could be she just got shunted into the upside down when she killed/banished the monster.

>a product of the shift in tv culture towards seeing the field of tv without time constraints.

Watching my first actual TV in years with Designated Survivor and Timeless. Almost forgot how much it sucked waiting for weekly episodes

i think theres something to be said for releasing episodes weekly rather than all in 1 dump like netflix does.

check out the game of thrones threads we have here, or the weekly threads of mr robot or what have you, it promotes discussion and hype buildup? of a show, if they dump it all at once, people binge and move on.

i mean, i like getting all the episodes at once, but i wonder if this is poor impulse control leads me to enjoying something less overall. when you binge in 1-2 days, you dont really get a chance to fall in love with something, its more just temporary enjoyment. stretching it out over 2 months of weekly episodes i think helps build up fandom and lets people really get into the show, it allows for post episode discussions, anticipation and so on.

Fucking agreed OP. Wanna go vape together?

It also shortens the wait time to the next season :P