en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(film)
thepiratebay.cr/torrent/9568176/Vertigo_(1958)_1080p_BrRip_x264_-_YIFY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_director
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eisenstein was a talented hack

I Sony agree. I personally prefer buster Keaton over Chaplin , I feel like his work was technically more interesting. I wonder if im alone in this though

>Sony
Sorry meant don't

Protip: name dropping doesn't make you a cinephile.

Fatty Arbuckle > all those talentless geniuses

>15. Orson Welles

Keaton was more human while Chaplin feels more technical to me
weird

popular=bad

well tipped my friend

k, that's pretty nice lineup you got OP.

My favorites are Lang, Ford, Murnau, Hawks, Resnais, Soderbergh, Tarkovsky, Denis, Welles, Malick, Weerasethakul, Kiarostami, Costa, Lav Diaz, Godard, Zhangke, Reichardt, Chantal, Antonioni, Haneke, Mizoguchi, Kobayashi, Teshigahara.

To my great shame I have to admit I STILL haven't seen one Renoir film yet.

Agree with what?

I agree with your ranking of those directors, but I would put Zack Snyder above all of them.

No. Alfred Hitchcock is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who really understood editing. He should be on the list.

pasta

With that list being a correct ranking of directors.

I'm the original poster of it, I just fetched it from archives and if you see I changed the last line where I said I hadn't seen Renoir, and I still haven't.

I-is this a joke? I don't pretend to be an expert on film, but I never heard of almost half of those people.

>inb4 pleb
Bullshit, Flaherty and fucking Vidor, who? Fucking who?

>don't pretend to be an expert on film, but I never heard of almost half of those people.
Because you are a pleb.

>laherty and fucking Vidor, who? Fucking who?
watch more films~~

"What Directors are Overrated? SWords for 300 Trebeck."

Is this metashitposting?

>I don't pretend to be an expert on film
>I never heard of almost half of those people
That makes sense, isn't it.

No? You are a pleb and that's all there is to it. You fix it by watching more films.

>clair
>flaherty
>stroheim
>carne
>dreyer
>vidor
>vigo
>wyler
>dovzhenko

Stop pretending. You couldn't name 3 films by either.

Whatever you think, but I've seen at least 2 films of each of named directors.

No you didn't. Stop pretending to be patrician.

Where is Fellini, Bergman, Lang, and Tarkovsky?

Do people like Fellini anymore? I see maybe 8 1/2 or LDV mentioned but I never read anyone having a burning passion for Fellini, like they do for Welles, Tarkovsky, Kubrick etc.

Too late for them user, sorry

>no Truffaut
>Hitchcock
>Kubrick
>Leone
>Bava
>Lumet
>Kurosawa
>Kobayashi
>Ozu

This for the hipsters' hipsters.

I've been watching TSPDT list for 2 years, and also throw in some Sight & Sound lists, so I hit all these directors. But as I already said, it's not that I'm going to prove anything on an anonymous board. Or do you want to call me in skype to test me if I've seen them?

Why do you want me to call you on skype user? Is this how you meet your twinks?

No Ernst Lubitsch?

Can we be Steam friends I need a friend to talk about films other than tv

>1. Charles Chaplin

Is this a list of talentless hacks?

Oh I don't have Steam, I only play League of Legends. I have letterboxd, but we can't talk there, I have RЁDDIT account obviously, and well I'm on some private trackers and that's it. I don't even have any social network.

Yea and by the way, it's me again. What you really need to do is make rёddit account and join us on /r/TrueFilm, you'll find me and other film passionate people there

He's #21. Really.

Flaherty movies are all over famous director's top 10s, this user isn't selecting without prescedent.

What are you even comparing with this list

>Agree?
you think someone here will have your exact same top 20?

all the directors he named are very well-known

>1. Charles Chaplin

Stop reading here. sage

I think someone without a good taste and knowledge will be so impressed with my list, he will agree.

>Fucking who?
Nanook of the North and The Crowd are really famous, user

You should really try to watch some of his films.
youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ

The Great Dictator is pretty bad compared to City Lights and The Gold Rush though

All three are 10/10, so as others like Modern Times.

I like dota myself oh well.

Okay. But where's Max Ophuls?

GOLD

Alfred Hitchcock
Jean Renoir
John Ford
Yasujirō Ozu
Luis Buñuel
Kenji Mizoguchi
Michael Powell + Emeric Pressburger
Ernst Lubitsch
Robert Altman
Max Ophüls
Ermano Olmi
Robert Bresson
Howard Hawks

HONORARY GOLD

D.W. Griffith
F.W. Murnau
Fritz Lang
Sergei Eisenstein
Dziga Vertov
Charles Chaplin
Buster Keaton

SILVER

Victor Erice
Michelangelo Antonioni
Federico Fellini
Terence Davies
Satyajit Ray
John Cassavetes
Orson Welles
Abbas Kiarostami
Ingmar Bergman
Vittorio De Sica
Marcel Carné
C.Th. Dreyer

BRONZE

David Lynch
Akira Kurosawa
Nicholas Ray
Jacques Démy
Andrei Tarkovsky
Mikio Naruse
Edward Yang
F.F. Coppola
Stanley Kubrick

are you literally me senpai
>When you watch Madame de... for the second time and realize that it will climb to your top 10 the next time you watch it

City Lights > The Gold Rush = Modern Times >>>>>>>>>> The Great Dictator

Lubitsch is absolutely the greatest director ever, and probably the best screenwriter ever, because compared to him, everyone else is hopelessly conventional.

>Leaving Lubitsch's funeral, Billy Wilder ruefully said, "No more Lubitsch." William Wyler responded, "Worse than that. No more Lubitsch pictures."

Saw Lola Montes recently and was disappointed, but Letter From an Unknown Woman, La Ronde, and Earrings of Madame De... are all perfect.

>Ermano Olmi
who
>Chaplin not god tier platinum
>Terence Davies
who
>Jacques Démy, Mikio Naruse
who

I remember really liking Lola Montes, and loved the other three.
I recommend Le Plaisir if you haven't watched it. It has some weird Buñuelesque moments.

watch
more
kïno

Alfred Hitchcock was the greatest director in history, it's no contest.

If we're talking about film as a pure and distinct medium, then there's nobody else who understood how to tell a story through the synthesis of editing, music, light, and writing as well as Hitchock.

Also this list is retarded. Stroheim, Eisenstein and Carne in the top 10? Really? They were innovative and essential to the history of film, but come on. Also, no Kubrick, Kurosawa, Fellini, Wilder, Bergman? This reeks of someone trying to stand out from the crowd.

Fuck off phoneposter

>the version with the hans zimmer music added
IT FUCKING RUINS THE ENTIRE SPEECH YOU FUCKING IMBECILE

Can't waste my time on literally whos. If they're not on TSPDT 2000 then I'm sorry.

Carné was on par with the other names you mention

>kurosawa and tarkovsky in bronze while hitchcock is in gold
What the fuck?

>They were innovative and essential to the history of film, but come on.
Are you picking directors for making FUN MEME COLORFUL movies?

but they are, you idiot

That's right, Tarkovsky should be bronze.

kurosawa didn't invent anything, and tarkovsky tried way too hard

theyshootpictures.com/demyjacques.php
theyshootpictures.com/daviesterence.php
theyshootpictures.com/narusemikio.php

Olmi has 2 films in the top 1000 (Il Posto, Tree of Wooden Clogs)

kys, my man

>kurosawa didn't invent anything

Is copying American film noir and westerns considered creativity now?

What did Hitchcock invent?

>no goddard, bergman, tark, fellini, antonioni and tarr

>where's fincher, nolan and kubrick?
posts your lists

dolly zoom

>goddard
you just wasted your trips, so as the validity of your opinion

>implying the fatass even knew how to focus pull

It's a pity that only with through bait posts to get replies by a disingenuous and spammy OP, most of these directors get to be named on this board.
But it's the way of the land.

jeez mister, i guess if you say so

HE ASKED IT, THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Absolutism when making opinions is the cancer that is attacking the arts. Truth be told, and my love for Hitch notwithstanding, I feel you're reading too much into the current trend of loving him. As an art, film has a bajillion of exemplary directors which fit your description of Hitch in different ways.

TL;DR, don't be a tryhard dumbass, enjoy film.

Hopefully you're meaning it for the right reason and not the wrong one. But it's probably the wrong one.

both reasons are right

The amount of autism itt is becoming critical. Have you seen Vertigo (1958). Do you realize the visual storytelling evolves around vertigo zoom? Do you realize Hitchcock is a director? Do you realize if he's a director, he was the one who said cinematographer to use it, and how, and then successfully implemented it into a film for storytelling, and it worked?

>implying you know what he meant
>implying you just didn't choose the wrong reason because you're a megapleb

You still don't get it?

>Do you realize if he's a director, he was the one who said cinematographer to use it, and how, and then successfully implemented it into a film for storytelling, and it worked?
[citation needed]

Absolutism on opinions exists since the second opinion ever was emitted. And 'current trend' of loving Hitchcock? Jesus fuck.
Good thing you don't have to be a tryhard.

reason 1: he misspelled it
reason 2: he was an awful director

you shouldn't have downloaded all that autism

The reason is that his surname is written with single d. Writing it with double d meant a poster knows nothing about what he's saying. I'm like saying I'm into politics, and I support Vlodymer Pityn.

>A sun is shining
[citation needed]

>le autism
Is that it?

what?

Hey, now, wait a second, I support Vlodymer Pityn. Let's make the Ukraine great again

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
Now your turn

was I not right, you idiot?

Nice jew source

My eyes. But it might rain soon

>Hitchcock, a director known for obsessively controlling every detail of his movies, let his cameraman improvise and use an extremely extravagant technique in a key moment of his movie
ok, famm

I hope you were

Oh right, i misspelled it. No need to be autistic about it tho, i always misspell some russian and german directors too, doesn't mean shit

>top 10

Fine I'll indulge, although I know 10 fags will call my list hsit for not including Malick or Tarr or other semen-slurping cocksuckers

1. Herzog
2. Kurosawa
3. Carpenter
4. Miyazaki
5. Wong Kar-Wai
6. Park Chan-wook
7. Coens
8. Eastwood
9. Satoshi Kon
10. R. Scott

>I know 10 fags will call my list hsit for not including Malick or Tarr or other semen-slurping cocksuckers
>List is mostly composed of semen-slurping cocksuckers

>improvise
Did I say that? Besides, if you know so much about Hitchcock you'll also know he wasn't the nicest person and it wouldn't be beneath him to steal someone else's idea. But keep on posting /fit/ memes while I wait for the citation saying it was Hitchcock alone who invented a camera trick that required a skilled cameraman to even conceptualize.

>carpenter no. 3
>scott and eastwood even on the list
this is hsit, kill yourself

BOOO STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

Bad taste desu.

Post yours feggits

>>Do you realize if he's a director, he was the one who said cinematographer to use it, and how, and then successfully implemented it into a film for storytelling, and it worked?
>[citation needed]

You asked a citation for the fact that it was Hitchcock who told the cinematographer what to do, not for the fact that he actually invented the technique. Please be a little more aware of your own words.

but that's what you did in the first place, you imbecile

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(film)
thepiratebay.cr/torrent/9568176/Vertigo_(1958)_1080p_BrRip_x264_-_YIFY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_director
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

That list is more crooked than the poor nurse trying to move you from your mopad to the shitter faggot. It literally ignores 50 years of cinema because critics are to precious to appreciate somehting new. Fuck off and post yours.

Worst list ITT by far

>That list is more crooked than the poor nurse trying to move you from your mopad to the shitter faggot
what did you mean by this?

That I'm fuckin yer mom.

>YIFY
kek

>it's an user namedrops old directors to pretend he's a certified patrician

>That I'm fuckin yer mom
was he autistic?

His mom didn't tell me if he was.

1. Orson Welles
2. Charles Chaplin
3. Jean Renoir
4. Sergei Eisenstein
5. Federico Fellini
6. Alfred Hitchcock
7. John Ford
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Jean-Luc Godard
10. Luis Bunuel

>eisenstein
>fellini
>godard
>bunuel

Do you know how I know you;re maymaying?

Chaplin is so overrated

t. someone who's never seen their filmography

I've seen 3 films from each of them. Eisenstein may be boring but Godard is Wiseau-tier terrible, minus the stupidity which could make him entertaining. Stop pretending.

which ones?

>Godard is Wiseau-tier terrible
confirmed for not knowing your shit

Kill yourself, retard

Assault on Precinct 13 is both better and more influential than anything Godard did. And that shitty Gere remake of Breathless is better than the original too.

Make me.

No doubt, so has social determinism, continuous cancer all the same.

Also, Hitchcock was only seen as a Hollywood director, regarding him as a a true artist commenced once Truffaut bitched about it way back when, and as shown by the Sight and Sound polls, yes, I'd argue there is a trend in film circles now.

Assault is one of the best Carpenter films, quite underrated, but no. And the second claim is a joke.

>Assault on Precinct 13 is both better and more influential than anything Godard did
no

>And that shitty Gere remake of Breathless is better than the original too
no

wew

and you didn't even answer my question

No. Tell me how you know?

Such 'circlejerk' exists for more than half a century. At worst assessment, Hitchcock was always seen as a master entertainer.

>more influential
>remake is better

Nintendo patriarchs threads are always so tense and wild

>no King Baggot

/thread hidden

No director on that list has been alive in the last 25 years. why are you trying to act patrishun on an Interdemensional Space Ramen Restaurant user?

Half a century? You do realize that Vertigo started gaining a critical reappraisal in the 80's? And that Vertigo topped Sight & Sound's list a mere 4 years ago?

>/thread hidden
Nice, I'm gonna this guy a faggot with no repercussions then: FFFFFFFFAAAAGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT

Haha, awesome

>No director on that list has been alive in the last 25 years
So? Have the greatest writers of all time been alive in the last 25 years? The answer is no and you're retarded and isecure because you never even seen their work

3 of the greatest are still alive you ignorant cretin.

pleb trying to be patrician

How about you post yours while trying not to cosplay you fag?

Cont. and to make my point, I'd agree with Truffaut that Hitch is one of cinema's masters, and is a great artist. Man, but so are a bunch of directors, like Tarkovsky, Mizoguchi or Bresson. I think classifying him as the best is a stretch, even when being an absolutist about things.

Who? Not that it helps your claim, i could use the same example to painters or any other kind of art. You just have a recency bias

EVERY JULY

>Assault on Precinct 13 is both better and more influential than anything Godard did

I don't.
>McCarthy
>Kadare
>Pynchon

Painting has been garbage since impressionism, at least. And I think you're confusing influential with great. I think we can both agree that while not being a great film, Star Wars is the most influential film the past 50 years(and one of the most important of all time), yes?

yeah i love being contrarian too

>Star Wars is the most influential film the past 50 years(and one of the most important of all time
>this is who i was arguing with
nevermind mate, be on your way

OK name me a more influential film since 1966.

He said Baggot, not Faggot.

Not the other guy, but sure, there are plenty of cinema masters in the hisroty of the medium. It's definitely not a vacuum with 'a director to rule them all'.
But on the point of rankings, I myself would be confident only about Hitchcock making a top 5 ever of those four directors. Probably because he has more masterpieces. But all giants, obviously.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Night of the Living Dead

I think you're right. It's the most influential culture-wise

"no"

If anything, Star Wars killed the brainy SF that was going through a renaissance after 2001 to my great displeasure. Its style was basically extinct by 1980 and the last memorable film that utilized it was Alien. You get a spark here and there like Moon or or Sunshine, but 2001 is not in fashion.

The only other option acceptable would have been Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Again, not talking about quality, but influence. You seem to think that only high-tier artistry can influence film as a medium and you are horribly wrong.

On this, just stating the obvious really because I don't think there's any debate:
TTCSM > SW

I won't deny that star wars was influential, but i think you're moving the goalposts. What made you start with the influential talk? We were discussing the greatest directors and you were complaining that they were old

Problem with TGTBTU is that spaghetti westerns were through by 73 and Western as a genre was dead in the water by 1980. Also, the tropes were already set by Fistful of Dollars and even Yojimbo if you like so no cigar.

>Night of the Living Dead
Kind of a cult hit that was quickly made obsolete by Last House on the Left or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which were considerably more influential to the horror genre.

Based Craven, a revolution a decade three decades straight

I agree.

You seem the ignore the development cinema has gone through in the past 50 years. Post Nouvelle Vague if you will. I'm pointing out that outside of their traces and influence here and there, the Old Masters are all but forgotten in large part. Tebehe, it's a matter of taste and I don't really enjoy pre-exploitation cinema all that much. I like it just fine, but there's something too squeaky clean about a lot of the classics. I'll agree that someone like Riefenstahl or Godard are a master class in cinema but I just don't find them compelling.

>I'll agree that someone like Riefenstahl or Godard are a master class in cinema

a few posts earlier
>godard? you're memeing
>he's not even been alive in the past 25 years (he still is)

>it's a matter of taste and I don't really enjoy pre-exploitation cinema all that much
So you have a recency bias like i said before. It's not inherently a bad thing unless you act superior for it like you did.

Why didn't you shut up in the first place?

I like shitposting.

>gets btfo
>it was merely an act
smooth

That's a good reason. I am guilty of that often. Good on you to try to come around.

No Satan, I fully admitted I was shitposting to rattle you. Which I did.

sure you did, and it was ebin

I saw you were willing to talk and not just meme. As a curiosity oft he era, absolutely all of my favourite actors are from the 30's-60's period

>Mifune
>Nakadai
>Mitchum
>Bogart
>Peck
>Henry Fonda
>Poitiers
>Keaton
>Grant
>Sydow

literally who? where's clint, based mel and the big guy?

Shooting spics, punks and cockneys respectively.

>clint not shooting punks
i think you messed up

He doesn't need to shoot punks, he threatens to shoot them while shooting spics. Mel shoots punks and threatens juice.

Agreed.