Surprisingly only just got around to watching this a little while ago

Surprisingly only just got around to watching this a little while ago.
I honestly feel its in the running for being the greatest film ever produced.
I wish it were a little longer so it could spend more time near the end focusing on the sheriff, helping the ending to seem a little less abrupt, but that's about it in terms of criticism.

What are your thoughts on it?
[spoilers]and what are some similar lesser known thrillers? Preferably with some depth and visceral violence, I've already seen Seven and Silence Of The Lambs, and all the other big ones.[/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yQCVG36X9uc
youtube.com/watch?v=9r5In4Vagas
youtu.be/miqPtuLPeHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

seen this?

Highlight text then ctrl+s

It's kino that's for sure, you should read the novel if you can stomach unfiltered uncut raw bookkino

Idk about single greatest film but its really really fucking good and one of my favorite movies of all time

WRONG. Apocalypse Now is the best film ever created. no exceptions although still really a good movie.

It's pretty good. The ending is better than the movie that comes before it

>"I honestly feel its in the running for being the greatest film ever produced."
>literally no score

there is no music in any scene
the greatest film of all time is supposed to incorporate all the major art forms

>cant even spoiler correctly

fuck off back to redit

If your favorite movie doesn't include dance and some form of food that you can eat alongside it its garbage

cormac mccarthy and music do not mix

Checked.
Not yet, I like Friedkin though so I've been meaning to see it.
I love McCarthy and one of my favorite aspects was how well the film captured his style. I wish there were more film adaptations of his work, but most filmmakers don't really seem to have the balls to step up to the plate, and most don't have the talent to capture the spirit of his novels. Would love to see Blood Meridian, or a better adaptation of The Road.

>going back to the scene of a shootout to give a dying drug runner a jug of tap water
>not ditching the briefcase or at least splitting the money up and hiding some in another location
>not checking to see if the briefcase was totally full of cash instead of only the top of the stacks

Moss was a dumbass.

So, was the wife dead?

very good to great film, yeah just rewatched
u seent 'a serious man?'

>going back to the scene of a shootout to give a dying drug runner a jug of tap water
Was meant to illustrate his goodness.
>not ditching the briefcase or at least splitting the money up and hiding some in another location
It wouldn't have really mattered. Once he touched that case his fate was pretty much sealed.
In the book she gets killed for getting the coin toss wrong, in the movie she exercises free will, even though she's basically just choosing to be killed. Chigurh looks at his boots after he leaves the house, looking for blood most likely.

what kinda ruins the movie for me is how the first half feels natural and unpredictable and the second half is just full of annoying plot convenience. everyone knows where everyone is, the second someone finds out something its just about 10 seconds too late, and so on. But that psycho guy is certainly one of the best movie villains ever.

It's a well shot man tearjerker for sure, but it makes no fucking sense that a squad would be sent with the lone mission of saving a farmboy private.

That opening in the graveyard though...

Better question did she shake his conviction? After she says the coin ain't got no say he seems flustered as he stutters his pre rehersed line about getting there the same way the coin did

Forgot the pic, but you know what it is already

I really would like to see what happened.
She just straight up refused to play his game, and he clearly found that very frustrating.

But it does have music. You're just too engrossed in the moment to actually realise it's there, adding to the atmosphere or mood. I thought there was no music the first time I watched it as well.

He didn't have any issue gunning down random people without a coin toss throughout the rest of the film. I'd assume he thinks him and the coin are interchangeable, he basically believes he's fate and death itself maybe.

Notice how he checks his boots after he leaves the house in that scene? Remember the last time he checked under his boots?

The Road's adaptation was bretty gud but admittedly could've been better
The problem with adapting his novels is that they sort of have to be kino or they'll fail since the source material is usually kino

Was Chigurgh in the room that the sherriff checks near the end of the movie?

He kills when it's required by the situation. But killing the wife because he made a promise? That's just him trying to maintain his fucked up logic. And so the coin toss would be very important to him. If he had no problem killing her without a coin toss, he would've just do it without asking her to choose.

>this sure aint no country for old men

it was good up until that point

wake in fright feels similar

Yeah and he found that ballin-ass MP-5

"...and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see
the horn from the light inside of
it. About the color of the moon. And
in the dream I knew that he was goin'
on ahead and that he was fixin' to
make a fire somewhere out there in
all that dark and all that cold, and
I knew that whenever I got there he
would be there. Out there up ahead.
Then I woke up.
This is no country for old men."

>hired to stop chigurh
>accomplishes nothing at all
>doesn't put up a fight

honestly though there was nothing stopping that nigga

This. He wanted to kill her to make good on his threat to Lou ellyn however as she pointed out it made no difference cause louellyn was dead so there wssnt much of a point. He realized that but at the same time couldnt value her opinion more than his own so he made them equal and wanted to leave it to the coin toss. Because she refused to play he deferrwd to his original intent on making good on the promise

Dear fuck, James Franco directed an adaptation of Child Of God?
What the fuck did we do to deserve this?

I think that's Woodmeister's point: he does nothing even though he appears to be operating on the same plane as Chigurh. Sort of ties into the whole "we're all just floating on the wind and sometimes shit just fucking happens and you die", same reason Chigurh gets into a terrible car crash later on.

My mom always had an interesting perspective...what if the sheriff and Chigurh were actually working together?

She was most likely wrong but it adds another layer of complexity that's fun to think about

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
—Those dying generations—at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there singing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;
And therefore I have sailed the seas and come
To the holy city of Byzantium.

O sages standing in God's holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.
Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium
Of what is past, or passing, or to come

I agree.

One of my favourite movies and I just finished reading the book today. It's a faithful adaptation and there's not much to dislike.
If you liked the movie you should check out the book,friendo.

Fuck you

Easily my favorite film. It just does everything so well.

The best part is probably the casting. The Coen Brothers don't create West Texas through the scenery, but through its people.

It's great but has a very weak ending

The Moss-Chigurh showdown-that-never-was is probably the biggest cinematic cocktease of all time.

pleb detected

I love No Country threads. One of the few universal Cred Forums favorites. It's masterful, yet it's easy to understand how and why it is. It taught me that theres a perfect way to make movies and a cheap way to make movies, and it curdled my appetite for cheap ones. Single handedly this movie turned 15 year old me into a patrician back in 2007

what was up with anton shooting that crow? i never really got the point of that scene.

music would have absolutely ruined this movie.

It is a 10/10 film simply for Kelly Macdonald.

He misses the bird and it flies away actually.
Crows usually symbolize death.
This is a few scenes away from Anton being wounded by Moss before escaping in the street shootout, and just before him missing Moss at the hotel. There's a lot of shit it could be linked to tbhf.

Another good "visceral" thriller is Oldboy.

I think a lot of people miss the point of the movie. Ed Tom Bell is wrong. "What you got ain't nothin' new."

Evil men have been around since the dawn of time, but there will always be men to "carry the fire" and fight against it. But the good men get tired, "old," and have to pass the torch.

Yeah no.

>cop out 'it was all a dream' ending
>protag dies off screen in a non event
>typical 'villain gets away with it all' storyline
>no soundtrack to add atmosphere to film

No idea how it garnished so much praise

Looked like a pigeon desu.

it was definitely a crow, it caws

>>cop out 'it was all a dream' ending
Are you retarded?

>'it was all a dream' ending
You're a fucking retard senpai.
The events in the film were not a dream, he retired due to the brutal things he saw occur, Moss dies off camera because he was ultimately unimportant and his death was inevitable, his death is the point where the film switches perspective from Moss's extrospective materialist viewpoint, to the Sheriff's introspective viewpoint.

The villain gets away with it all because he is a representation of cold, unfeeling, natural forces.

>last words of the movie are literally 'And then I woke up'

No, I think you are the retarded one.

He was talking about his dream about him and his father.

How is it possible for one man to be so pleb

>No soundtrack to add to the atmosphere
I'm mad

there is music

its just very minimal and easy to miss

this do it for you faggot?
youtube.com/watch?v=yQCVG36X9uc

This has to be b8. Are you actually a fucken retard?

Sequel when? Chigurh is still out there....

>Bad to the Bone starts playing when Chigurh is introduced

Go back to your capeshit thread, kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=9r5In4Vagas

bump

Someone make this happen

I know you are supposed to pretend you enjoyed it but that doesn't change the fact that it was a cheap tryhard ending and there wasn't nearly enough character development for it to be delivered the way it was.

jesus how awful

i feel sorry for you, like actually fucking sorry, what is wrong with you

>greatest film ever
>almost no score
Not saying it didn't work for the movie because it did, but for the "greatest movie ever" I think music is a required aspect.

it's definitely up there, OP

Anyone else burst into laughter at the handcuff strangling scene remembering that flash of it set to a chiptune?

I love No Country and I think you'll like this

Call it, friendo.

It's my favorite movie.

Yes.
No. The car crash could have but I doubt it. Story is not about him anyway, so it doesn't matter. Story is about common persons hopelessness against such a test.

>garnished

Quads confirmed

Great movie

lmfao this is fucking horrible

What if I like horror over everything else?

Or good old fashioned romance?

There can't be a best film ever made, only best exmaples of specific genres

>those CGI deer
>that CGI crow
>greatest film produced

youtu.be/miqPtuLPeHk

There can be a film that's best in it's medium, and there surely is one, but I can't say which one it is because I'm not that experienced within this medium.

There are objective criterias that can be used to determin the best film:
-writing
-characterization
-story telling
-OST

Etc. There are more, but these are the most important ones and you surely get the picture by now.

medium?

he was in the neighboring room, once again showing how much chance holds sway

I'm mad at him for suggesting that a score would add to the atmosphere, duh

"You're mothers dead Llewelyn"
"Then ill tell her myself"
How come Moss forgot about her mothers death?

HIS, fuck

Your mom is retarded and didn't read the book or pay attention to the movie.

Im gay

Whoa

can you imagine

the entire movie would be ruined by music

In the book he wakes up from a dream where his mother is admonishing him and telling him to bring water to the dying man.

i watched it again recently and was more impressed with the movie than I was the first time around

i still like twbb better tho because plainview reminds me of my dad :[

A girls asked me what one of my favourite movies is and I said No Country For Old Man.

She stopped at 20 minutes and said it was boring.

Should I drop her?

it was ok .i dont see whats so good about it

>Should I drop her?

With one of those brainers

Thank you

Does anyone else find this movie really comfy? The lack of music in a bunch of scenes paired with Javier Bardem's gravelly ass voice actually kinda calms me down, despite what's happening

read the book

>The point of this movie was literally in the title

Half ruined it for me tbqhwuf

I think you misinterpreted the ending...

What was his problem? Was he autistic?