Favorite Ghibli film?

Favorite Ghibli film?

Also, is Earthsea any good? I'm DL'ing it now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vD1yAEWpzeQ
youtu.be/ZjIcgfthEmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Also, is Earthsea any good?
worst fucking movie from ghibli

ah too bad

>mfw someone talks about how amazing totoro or ponyo is

howl's and spirited away are pretty goat. I really liked poppy hill for some reason even though it wasn't that good.

Mononoke is my personal fave. Porco Rosso is really good.

Howl's sucks, visually very pretty, but the entire movie falls to pieces half way through, I can actually pin point it, the part where Sophie and the wicked witch are climbing the stairs and then out of nowhere, Sophie starts helping the witch. This is the scene where all the characters just start flipping on their heads.

Also butchered the book. The fun thing about the Book is that Howl isn't actually that magic, he's from the modern day, the black door leads to modern day UK. His potions and shit are all modern technology, hair dyes and stuff.

Miyazaki's last great film was Spirited Away.

Takahata has always been a superior Ghibli director imo anyway.

>Miyazaki's last great film was Spirited Away.
wind rises was good though

Nausicca and Castle in the Sky are my personal favorites.

Only Yesterday is ny far the best.

My opinion literally this

Kiki's Delivery Service

Only one I've actually enjoyed desu

true but that being said its still visually beautiful and something fresh to watch

I thought that was weird too until you realize how happy she, howl and almost everyone else are despite their situations. If you think about it she was way too accepting of being turned old, I mean she suddenly just leaves everything/everyone she knows behind without ever contacting them again until her mom showed up to betray her. Howl was always kinda happy smiling despite being hunted to be killed/stripped of his magic and despite being slowly turned into a monster. Even the fucking scarecrow who was a prince was too happy before and after being cured. Then Solomon just sorta ends the war after seeing the Prince and Howl cured like that was the point of the war in the first place.

>watching it for the plot
You're supposed to see Ghibli movies as tone poems.
plebs

Nausicaa is objectively the best because of the involvement of BASED Anno.

>no whispers of the heart
beautiful story about the struggles of writing and being creative. Sad the director died died before it's release.

My Nieghbour Totoro is my favorite.

>Earthsea
Starts off with some interesting concepts then falls into the Studio Ghibli check list and cliches.

>Favorite Ghibli film?
Ocean Waves.

I've seen most of them and only The Wind Risies didn't work all that much for me.

>Ocean Waves.
I've always been curious about it.

It's a ""contained"" (lacking a better word), little story that goes around the "good old times" and "past mistakes" themes, soaked in the High School feel. Whatever. It really resonates with me, but so did Whisper of the Hearth and Only Yesterday (and one could argue that both of these are the better films).
Hell, even Up on Poppy Hill is similar in that regard.

Anyway, with Ghibli movies, you can't really make a mistake other than actually not watching them.
Cheers.

Do yourself the favor and read the book, you'll discover a genius fantasy and sf writer

>One of the greatest achievements of humanity in art and storytelling tier:
Nausicaa (Manga)

>God Tier:
Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kaguya

>High Tier:
Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, When Marnie Was There.

>Good Tier:
My Neighbour Totoro, Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday, Ponyo, Ocean Waves, Castle of Cagliostro

>Okay Tier:
The Cat Returns, The Wind Rises, Howls Moving Castle, From Up On Poppy Hill, Nausicaa (movie)

>What the fuck, how did this even get put into development, didn't anybody look at the script? (Also whitewashing literally every single character from Black, which was one of the major points of the Earthsea books and this film was so bad the Ursula K Le Guin even said "What the fuck?"):
Tales of Earthsea

>Cultural Barrier Tier:
My Neighbours The Yamadas.

>Shit Nobody has seen Tier:
Iblard Jikan (Really good when your high as fuck and just want to watch something while in bed)

>Iblard Jikan (Really good when your high as fuck and just want to watch something while in bed)
noice
thanks for the rec

Mononoke and the castle in the sky
They hit me like bricks every time I see them, music and all
Kiki delivery service is rather good too, and porco rosso is watchable, never got much to say about it
I never saw spirited away and can't remember my watch of totoro, too young

probably mononoke but the pace drags a bit in the middle.

>that scene
>the old men come and join the song

such a great scene fuck
why does almost nothing else make me feel anything

Definitely Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service, but this is basically 90% on memory of the music for me. Before Joe Hisaishi lost his touch and started phoning in on the soundtracks, the music he wrote for the earlier movies and specifically those two are some of my favorite music ever. He actually has a really good creative range but everyone knows him for the main themes

Kiki:
youtu.be/vD1yAEWpzeQ

Mononoke:
youtu.be/ZjIcgfthEmM

I like them all except Totoro. I don't really see what's so good about Totoro.

Watch spirited away you should love it. My favorite two are castle in the sky (dat theme tune) and spirited away.

That chart is fairly accurate actually.

I watched only yesterday recently and that's how I felt even though it was 'nice'. Too boring.

Fucking thank you.

Recently saw Kiki for the first time. Godamn, what a comfy movie. Ghibli just captures such a magical feeling of innocence and goodness in their movies. Their top notch backgrounds are such a marvel to behold. The not too large, not too small seaside town in Kiki just gave me massive feelings of comfy, it being surrounded by idyllic farmland and forests.

see

Fuck off. Princess Mononoke works without being a "tone poem." As does Spirited Away, Nausicaa (although that has its own issues), Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totorro, etfuckingcetera. Howl's is a jumbled mess.

>studio ghibli
come on user, you can do better. studio ghibli didnt exist when nausicca was made

I only liked the scenes of when she was a little girl. The farm stuff is all fairly boring. Made it seem like two different movies were going on.

Porco Rosso feels weird to me.

I saw it when I was kid and I always remember it as this awesome movie that I'd like to watch again, but every time I've watched it as an adult it felt quite "meh". Mostly because there's not really a strong argument going on that keeps things moving, characters barely interact with each other and at the end of the movie nothing has changed for Porco Rosso as an individual.

Mah nigga.

Comfy af.

Tale of princess kaguya has some of the best animation I've seen.

i've started to appreciate Pom Poko more as an adult and see it's commentary on the modern wage slaves life.

>Made it seem like two different movies were going on.

That basically was the case, the original manga was just the young girl scenes and the adult shit was tacked on.

Is the Nausicaa Manga better than the film?

I don't think any greater disparity in dub sub quality than between Mononoke's sub and it's dub.

I actually like Howl's sub more than it's dub

>based Christian Bale

it's a film about a magical owlcat relieving a couple of kids of the existential terror of losing their mother for a couple of days.

>is the [X] manga better than the film/anime?
yes. I can't think of a single exception. apart from things that were written as animation first, but they don't count.

What about OP Man?

I believe you switched dub and sub there, but I understand what you mean. I watched that in dub and I liked it.

My weeb friend and I tried to ease some other friends into Ghibli movies by showing them dubbed Castle of Cagliostro. Apparently they couldn't handle even that much. Is there any more normal-friendly Ghibli than that? How the fuck did Spirited Away succeed with so much shintoism crammed in there?

Correction, Cagliostro is Miyazaki, it Ghibli. Is that the critical element?