Phantasm V - Ravager

Any Phantasm fans around here? I watched Ravager last night. So ask me anything or let's just discuss this attempt to close the franchise or let's talk about the other movies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xQFn0e5d00Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody wants to discuss the franchise? Holy shit, what's wrong with you Cred Forums?

didnt know it was out yet. is it good?

To be honest it looks pretty cheap, The production value is not really good in many sequences... and yes the scenes vary in quality. But this doesn't come as a surprise when you read soem interviews wih Coscarelli and the director.

They decided to shoot several segments as some kind of Phantasm tribute and after that tried to connect them. To explain how it still may work especiall for Phantasm fans I had to go into spoiler territory. Shall I?

nah dont spoil it. i know its probably oddly paced and hacked together but the cheap production in the trailers looks like a plus to me. makes it feel like it came out in the 90s instead of taking 20 years to be completed. anythings better than modern cgi anyway.

The odd pacing is typical for Phantasm anyway so this was also more a plus for me.

The movie definetly gets better in the second half in my opnion, because it gets pretty crazy in certain moments.

>saw a pic i presumed was a shitty shoop/fanart
>this is an actual movie
im a phantasm fan, but fuck me, i fully expect this to be Tremors 5 level quality

Are the CGI and general special FX as cringe-worthy as the trailer makes them seem?

The production quality is really not good and in the daylight scenes it just looks wrong sometimes because they didn't shoot on film but digitally and you can see that. This makes the whole scenes look cheap sometimes not only regarding the effects. Still you can tell that they investers a good bunch of soul and heart making this movie happen. The actors give their best in my opinion and they are not afraid to go totally surrealistic nuts sory wise. Many people will call the story telling a convulted mess but for me it captures the soul of Phantasm pretty well and takes it to another level.

The CGI looks pretty amateurish to be honest. There are a few moments when they used pratical effects which look not great but OK.

In it's best moments the movie really feels like a modern "honest" grindhouse flick FX wise (not a Asylum or "Machete Kills" rehash) in other parts sadly it just looks out of place.

i mean, im still going to watch it, i watched tremors 5
as long as its better than the "clip episode" of the puppet master franchise, i will consider it a success

The remastered version of the original looks so damn good.

youtube.com/watch?v=xQFn0e5d00Q

the storyline for Phanstam has always been a bit of a trippy mess so really can't fault it for that.

probably gonna check it out later myself, gonna marathon through the others though first

Tremors 5 I honestly didn't find that bad, the assblaster design could have been better but ehh whatever. Jamie Kennedy wasn't really annoying.
Kinda excited for Tremors 6

Tremors 5 wasn't actually too bad, 4 was worse in my hottest opinion.

So did they defeat the Tall Man?

thats kinda what i mean
i went into it thinking it would be terrible, and i liked it, and i went into that puppetmaster thinking "it cant be all that bad" and it was absolutely terrible

im hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but if im not, i didnt have many expectations to live up to honestly

They blow up on version of the Tall Man in the red universe and it MAY be something like a final stroke for him. But ultimately the end is again open that the fight might just continue.... but then again - HEAVY SPOILER - the whole movie is so full of undecidable narrative structures that you can't tell if it's a dream, if they shift between dimensions or if it's real or if it's just a near death experience by Reggie

Thanks. Did I explain Tall Man's background?

In Oblivion we learnt much more about the background, I guess.
There is one quote by him that refers to his motivations but don't expect too much "lore". It's just a somehow funny, dark, typical horror villain line he drops.

They also have a short flash back montage atthe beginnign of the movie where they sum up what they know about the Tall Man so far and his former self we saw in part 4... but you won't get much more background than you got from the former parts aka enslaving the living and making them yellow blooded zombies or transforming them into undead midgets.

In some of the possible "realities" they show in this movie it becomes clear that the Tall Man prepared a big invasion to destroy / enslave mankind and it looks like he maybe wants to transform earth into the red hell dimension he was "born" in. In other "realities" it seems like he just hunts Reggie and his friends for his own pleasure. That is also the core of the movie: it's like they present a lot of fan theories as possibilities and play through it.

it's really bad, shitty fan film. just skip it honestly.

Watched and enjoyed the first 2 as a kid.

Watched the first one again a few years ago on DVD.

Have the rest on my HD. Never got around to watching them back in the day simply because no stores had them.

Now I have to make the commitment to sit down and watch the first two again to finally get through the series and get ready for Ravager.

> i fully expect this to be Tremors 5 level quality

DON'T YOU SAY THAT

Fanchise is pretty meh. First one was okay but the deathball effects have not aged well