Has India ever made a good movie?

Has India ever made a good movie?

They make more movies than any other country. Surely they've gotten it right at least once. Even if only by random chance.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Cinema
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6rzf_FBQg
youtu.be/3KRWYgQyDlA
youtube.com/watch?v=RMu62yhTalE
youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
youtube.com/watch?v=7yBnl_krN_U
youtu.be/m2AXxU4T_yY
youtube.com/watch?v=YwfCMvo19s8
youtube.com/watch?v=ynWAfb1yKU8&ab_channel=TimesMusic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

satyajit ray's movies were based.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Cinema

Bollywood is like Cred Forums.
They produce a lot of content, but 99.99% of it is pure garbage.

Its the same as everywhere just watch out for art films or meaningful ones rather than souless blockbuster bollywood crap that pander to the general public

Once Were Warriors

3 Idiots? What do people think of that movie?

Got any recommendations?

Wrong hemisphere

3 Idiots was pretty fun. Depends almost entirely on language, desu.
Cinematographically, us pajeets are horrible. Stories can be alright though. Telugu movies have been sucking ass recently.

The last decent bollywood movie I was watched was pic related

*I watched was pic related

I thought it was terrible so I looked it up to see what people were saying about it and found this

Whenever I see clips from Singham I laugh my ass off so there you go

> tfw you've only felt sex and prestige

Shit.
I can understand Indians loving it (it broke box office records) like they do every other piece of Bollywood excrement but every non-Indian I know who's seen it loves it as well.
The "humor" is just fart jokes and toilet humor and the final plot reveal that Aamir Khan was apparently a Tibetan all along is more offensive than the supposedly SJW/inclusive angle the filmmakers were probably aiming for.
But then again Mary Kom was critically acclaimed and no one cared about the casting.

Forgot pic.

Watch this op, great detective film with great cinematography and soundtrack.

>Indians
>SJW inclusivity towards indochink hybrids
Hahahaha
Nah, it makes sense. Shimla is filled with those fuckers and they don't even look Tibetan or Nepali.

The only bollywood movies I ever liked were Munna Bhai M.B.B.S and Aankhen. But I was like 12 when I saw them so I'm sure I'd hate them now if I was to rewatch them at 25.

Aankhen was kino but I'm not sure if it's not a remake of a Hollywood film

Well the reveal was clearly meant to show how progressive Bollywood has become that it made a genius character a Tibetan, an ethnic group that has never been part of a conversation in pop culture. Never mind that Aamir would probably be mistaken for Southern European before being confused for a Tibetan.

>Shimla is filled with those fuckers and they don't even look Tibetan or Nepali.
Are they like Americans who claim Native ancestry?
Otherwise you're mistaken. Dharmshala is full of chinks and the more north towards the border you go, the more people start looking Tibetan/Chinese regardless of their ethno-linguistic identification.
My family is from Uttarakhand and lots of supposedly ethnic Kumaoni/Garwhali folk look pretty Mongoloid.

it's more of a noir movie than a detective tbqh

POO

I liked Bajrangi Bhaijaan, though that was more a blockbuster done right. I'm not sure if someone who hasn't watched a lot of bollywood films would enjoy it.

IN

> Never mind that Aamir would probably be mistaken for Southern European before being confused for a Tibetan.

Huh, goes on to show that SJWs are retards no matter where they are from. That's exactly like those tacked on black characters who act all ghetto but are supposedly a "cool" and positive representation of black people because SJWs don't know shit.

THE

Singham

Of course they've made good movies. Are you a pleb OP?

LOO

The good movies will stand out.
Watch this one

Shahid
Gangs of Wasseypur
Court
Badlapur
Haider

Some pretty good recent ones.

A bit OT but can anyone ID this music channel.

Watched it in Nepal (it's an Indian Channel) and would like to know if I can get it on the web.

The logo isn't really helping though.

Channel V? Looks like a new logo.

Ship of Theseus (2012)
Lunchbox (2013)
Gangs of Wasseypur (2012)
Ugly (2014)
Black Friday (2007)

The Apu Trilogy (1955-59)

Also recommend the three movies directed by Vishal Bhardwaj based on Shakespeare's plays: Maqbool (2003), Omkara (2006) and Haider (2014).

That looks like it from a quick visit to the youtube channel. Thanks user.

Don't understand the sensation around shit movies like 3 idiots or bajarangi bhaijaan. I liked swades. South Indian movies (excluding the commercial ones) are good.

bollywood? more like bowelwood lmao

Would you let her shit on your street, Cred Forums?

she could shit on my chest if you know what i mean

Explain

You lost me.

i could lay down naked facing upwards and she could squat on top, spread her ass cheeks and rain excrement over my body, if you catch my drift

I need more information on how this is achieved.

ask your parents :)

wew lad

3 Idiots, you filthy casual

Indian cinema is best cinema

Any webms of him bitchslapping suspects?

unfortunately no

Kino desu

I liked Talvar from last year, its sort of like Rashomon, also look for anything Anurag Kashyap and Vishal Bhardwaj make, they are top tier. I like this guy Imtiaz Ali too and Rockstar(2011) by him, is one of my favorite modern tragedies

Amit Dutta is the Indian Parajanov

>this is what classes as being a big time hunk in India

Does Slumdog Millionaire count?

No.

any other nudes my indian friend? It's for some research

i think you're the first person i've seen use the term "hunk" besides CWC post-2000

I like some of the songs from Sholay but I've never seen the movie

The Apu Trilogy is excellent.

I agree most of the Indian films sucks. But there are some old movies that I personally liked and i think you will like them too
> Sholay (1975)................................. western
>Andaz Apna Apna (1994)..................comedy
>Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)..romantic
> Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1995)..........romantic
> Hera Pheri (2000)............................comedy
>Tere Bin Laden (2010).......................comedy
> Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013)........real life story

>> Sholay (1975)................................. western

well they tried to do a cowboy themed movie So yeah LOL you can say it Indian western ( I cant describe the genre but the movie is good tho)

>I cant describe the genre
Sholay defines the masala film

Don't forget Dr Steve Brule

K I N O
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6rzf_FBQg

BRAVO

Trust me on this one phags, check Jigarthanda out.

youtu.be/3KRWYgQyDlA

>phags
Go back to misc

watched this with some poo in loo co-workers
decent 6/10 movie but it needs an editor badly

only right answer

name some kino from that region without restorting to memes

indian artsy film scene is pure crap

has there been any good movies from south india? are they the nigger of india?

these are all crappy remake clones of good movies from other regions

other than ray and bhardwaj rest are just "good" indian movie memes, still 3/10 for the rest of the world

worst movie, 1/10 would not watch

patrician taste

dude, these are all just turd the movies

they gave brendan a movie

IM DEADASS

>saves thumbnail
>is a pleb

>doesn't realizes art

Satanic Verses adaptation when?

>Satanic Verses adaptation when?
implying Indian SJW media will not cry Islamophobia

>implying Modi won't produce, write and direct it and order pre-emptive surgical strikes in Pakistan before the premiere

yup remember the power sliding horse gif?
here is the full movie.
youtube.com/watch?v=RMu62yhTalE

I liked Asoka it's the only Indian movie I've seen

Weird how they busted out dancing/singing every once in a while though wtf India

OP, I anticipate people will recommend Gangs of Wasseypur, a top /r/India movie but it's hours of the director just masturbating.

Omkara is a better Shakespeare adaptation than what White people have ever done.

I never noticed an sjw agenda at all. There was nothing to indicate that him being tibetan was anything special. They just needed an excuse to make the other chracters to go on a long road trip. jesus, stop looking for an SJW agenda behind every rock.

Lol wut? It was hours of pointless walking plus a ridiculously sentimental ending. Bhaisexual pls go

This another tier of the "intellectual" Indian cinema goer. Says Bollywood sucks but will recommend the most Bollywoodest of movies ever.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the epic masterpiece that is Gunda.

>They just needed an excuse to make the other chracters to go on a long road trip.
Poor writing then. And they still could've made him any other ethnicity that would've made more sense instead of another case of even poorer writing by including a twist that wasn't even hinted at at any point earlier in the movie. Don't be so naive in thinking it wasn't a token insert to show how Bollywood can be inclusive as well by having a main character who isn't Punjabi/Bengali/Tamil etc. and showing how he also helps his poor Tibetan village with his intellect.

Sounding millionare

That's it. They should make cool gangster movies instead of musicals

What about this Indian masterpiece?

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

Right here

>Sounding millionare
lol that movie was shit. Didn't even have the best A R Rahman song.

India has a history of kakakino

>the challenge
holy shit

exactly

Will India ever live out the poo in the loo meme? It's all people think about when India is brought up.

Ship of Theseus

Even if the poo in loo meme dies out, there's always
>a fucking wagon wheel

you mean outlive. they live it out every day

Indian film is very specific to the preferences, culture, and social attitudes of Indians, so not very accessible to foreigners.
That being said I don't watch any movies and I get the impression westerners don't watch Bollywood either so if there was anything worth seeing, I'd be surprised to learn of it thru Cred Forums (maybe from other Indians here, so I suppose this is the board to ask).

Do you only watch films from your own country?

>wagon wheel
chakras are symbolic of a lot of stuff

I never do anything fun

The sword was cool in an early 2000s edgy kind of way

that thing in the middle of the flag is literally anus

>this

Is he wearing his watch over his shirt

i think mani ratnam makes good movies. honestly south indian movies have better stories than north indians.

South Indians also don't tend to shit in the streets as much as North Indians

I believe I saw a storyboard for an Indian story that looked interesting one time. A family movie, I guess. Something about a son having a big decision to make and his father stepped back, allowing the son to make up his own mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=7yBnl_krN_U

>They didn't unironically enjoy DDLJ and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
I feel sorry for you.
I actually enjoy the Bollywood formula desu, I love the music especially. Good stories too sometimes. I don't enjoy the ones that try too hard to be like western films though.

>Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Silent Sikh boy is best character

A Wednesday

Also Dil Se is a very good film, but I guess it isn't Bollywood. One of my favourite films ever and khan's character goes through every stage of love.

youtu.be/m2AXxU4T_yY
>Dil Se is said to be a journey through the 7 shades of love that are defined in ancient Arabic literature. Those shades are defined as attraction, infatuation, love, reverence, worship, obsession, and death. The character played by Shahrukh Khan passes through each shade during the course of the film

Really powerful stuff.

>but I guess it isn't Bollywood.
Eh?

It's a film in Hindi but by a Tamil director.

It stars SRK and is in Hindi, it's as Bollywood as they come.

>tfw SRK will never make another good film in your lifetime
Who will replace him lads? Are there any new Bollywood stars that can compare?
Gonna miss the same character he played over and over again

Call me a contrarian but I like the title song more, especially since how well shot this is.
youtube.com/watch?v=YwfCMvo19s8

Ranbir Kapoor kek

Im south indian and I somewhat have to agree, indian movies tend to be horrible. Its just mindless entertainment but some can be some comfy stuff.

Recently almost 99.9999% of bollywood movies tend to have stories where the people are rich. Very rarely are they portrayed as lower income people. Compare that with the south and you get more diverse stories of people of different wealth.

Have been some movies that are being remade in bollywood from the south but honestly theyve been kinda awful. "Biggest" south indian film baahubali was just boring imo. They story was too choppy and had stupid shit everywhere.

I personally just watch it for some decent stories and some of that comfy family sentiment stuff.

Title song is also excellent. May have to give it a rewatch tonight desu, all the northern India locations are so comfy it'll be perfect for bed.

The final 20 minutes of Pardes is great viewing desu. Average film otherwise. Koyla is a film that has some great cinematography, great sets.
I love Bollywood films when they make good use of locations.

Does Gangs of Wasseypur do anything interesting with the gangster drama or does it just replace gabagool with curry?

umm yeah unbreakable and the sixth sense were brilliant.

So I've been meaning to watch Rang de Basanti again just to see how it held up but I'm scared of hating it now that I'm older. I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy it as much as I did when I first saw it as a 14 year old when I was an edgy anarchist and also thought one of the characters making an explicit reference to masturbation was the height of comedy in a Bollywood movie. Even the songs, which I still get earworms of from time to time, don't really make me want to watch the whole fucking movie (even though it's still a short Bollywood flick at 2 1/2 hours). Thinking back I seem to remember that it was pushed pretty hard by the media, even teacher as being something every young person should watch yet the hypocrisy of the movie basically advocating revolutionary vigilante violence was apparent to me even through my edgy teenage mindset. But I remember still liking the movie mostly because where da white women at it rode on the first waves of the now common (post-rod rape) middle class youth activism and, along with Dil Chahta Hai, portrayed a contemporary generation, however educated upper/middle class, fairly accurately. Shit I don't know, why do we grow old again?

hot women tho

I've only seen Three Idiots, and it's pretty good.

the song was also pretty catchy.

What about Haider? I liked how they portrayed the conflict in Kashmir and the whole movie is shot on location
youtube.com/watch?v=ynWAfb1yKU8&ab_channel=TimesMusic