What's the best David Lynch movies to start people?

What's the best David Lynch movies to start people?

Other urls found in this thread:

davidlynchfoundation.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*to start people on.

Goddammit.

Straight story

Inland Empire :^)

Blue Velvet, no don't bother with Roger Ebert's review cause he's a hack.

Twin Peaks
Becouse FWWM

eraserhead or lost highway

this

Blue Velvet is easily the best entry-point for David Lynch. It's strange but still easy to follow, and contains almost all of the trademarks and cliches his work is known for. And yeah, Ebert's review is worthless because of his beta white knight tendencies. Any movie that shows pretty women getting abused triggers the fuck out of him

Twin Peaks

Or if they're not retarded, Mulholland Drive.

Reminder as to what a complete psychopath lynch actually is.

I started with Mulholland Drive, but in retrospective, Blue Velvet would've probably been better

>movie

Can we talk about his cult?
davidlynchfoundation.org/

Mulholland Drive, starts off like a more conventional thriller story and then goes full Lynch in the second half.

Anything, it's david lynch

do not start with mulholland drive.

blue velvet first.

Why Blue Velvet and not MD?

mulholland drive is amazing, but it's disjointed, dense and there is an actual "it was a all a dream" twist at the end. For someone that may not be in to film that much, it could be a bit overwhelming and they could be put off. It's also a film that works best as a rewatch.

blue velvet is much easier to relate to, the real lynch shit doesn't start until you're already engrossed in the story, and you can 'get' the majority of it on the first watch.

>It's also a film that works best as a rewatch
Agreed, I remember the first time I saw it, I had no idea what to think or feel about it. It was more a befuddling experience than anything else. A week later I rewatched it and fell in love with it, even teared up a little at the end

I can understand why, as someone's first Lynch, it might turn them off

I see you point on how a Lynchvirgin could be overwhelmed by it. Personally that was what made me fall in love with the film, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. So I guess it can work both ways.
You don't really have to 'get' Lynch's films to enjoy them to their fullest either as their disjointed narratives are primarily made that way to achieve a feeling of emotional surrealism, not just because Lynch is seemingly unable to write stories chronologically.

Obviously Elephant Man

Not the biggest lynch fan, but this.

>capeshit

Blue Velvet is good entry level. It has Lynch's trademarks but is rather light on the mindfuck aspect. If you think you're not afraid of anything then go with Mulholland Dr. instead.

whys he agreed to be in the new series?

I would pay money to see Lynch's Avengers.

depends how how you like atmosphere in films. if you need to stick to a straight forward plot, then blue velvet, but mulholland drive is some of his best work and it displays the beauty that you will find more of in other works, like twin peaks.

twin peaks is good to start with as well if you are patient

none, unless you wanna troll people I guess

seriously people only like this sack of shit's shit ironically right?

lmao he deleted all the comments what a wacko

I actually started with Eraserhead.

>seriously people only like this sack of shit's shit ironically right?
Most of his work could be considered ironic or post-ironic, so sure why not?

Straight Story and Blue Velvet

So did I. It's still my favorite of his.

Nigga if Lynch did capeshit, it would be Cape Kino

>ywn see David Lynch's Doctor Strange

If you want nice touching stories that aren't very Lynchian, then Elephant Man or The Straight Story.
If you want bizarre, slightly off dramas or thrillers then Blue Velvet or Wild At Heart.
If you just want the "wow wtf am I watching" factor, you can jump straight to Eraserhead, that's the easiest way to tell if you like Lynch or not.
Afterwards Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, and once you've chewed through them enough and you "get" them and what he was going for (and I'm not talking about piecing puzzle pieces together and figuring out what they're about), then watch Inland Empire. It's his most impenetrable work and you won't be able to enjoy it if you watch it with the usual mentality, without understanding what the film is supposed to be. It's also his best movie, so you'll be saving it for last.

In case you want to show a normie friend a single movie then go with Blue Velvet.
But if you want to, as a normie, experience his movies, then go from order of least weird to most weird. I experienced it this way and it gave me a much greater appreciation for him as a filmmaker.
Start with A Straight Story. Watching Dune is optional (I wouldn't recommend it but I watched it anyway). Then watch Elephant Man. Then Blue Velvet. Then, Mullohand Drive. Then, Lost Highway.
I would only recommend Fire Walk With Me if you have seen Twin Peaks.
By the time you reach Eraserhead you will have gotten enough of a comprehension of how Lynch's movies work that will prepare you more for Eraserhead.
Then, after you've sat through all of these, watch Inland Empire, three hours of pure insanity that is just Lynch having fun with being weird.