Why is this show so praised? Is not terrible but is not good either. Just a mediocre and unoriginal little show...

Why is this show so praised? Is not terrible but is not good either. Just a mediocre and unoriginal little show. Yet everybody seems to be crazy about it.
Also the douchy boyfriend was the only character with an interesting development and that says a lot.

I absolutely agree, the boyfriend was the best character with the most interesting development.
Idk why it was succesful but I guess it's because people are stupid with low expectations, because it's easy to follow if you turn off your brain and because it's on netflix where all the new shows take forever to arrive from what I've been told. And maybe also because people tell each other "come on, watch it, it's only 8 episodes"?

It wasn't very original, but that's what people were looking for. Nobody wanted it to bring anything new to the table, they wanted a Stephen King-esque 80s thriller. I think that they did a great job at pulling that off, but anyone that isn't looking for a cheesy 80s flick is going to be disappointed.

Why don't they just watch a good stephen king movie?
>frodo.png

>Why is this show so praised?
Because the majority thinks it's a good show.

>mediocre
I think it excells at everything it does even though the underlying elements are pretty basic.

>Yet everybody seems to be crazy about it.
Because it's a good show.

>Also the douchy boyfriend was the only character with an interesting development and that says a lot.
Opinions are not facts.

>unoriginal
Fuck off with this meme argument. Nobody gives a shit when another super hero movie is bad, another franchise is rebooted, another novel is adapted to film. But Stranger Things has some 80s influences? God forbid.

Maybe they've already seen them and want something new. Or maybe this will be they're introduction to that style of movie.

>generation who don't know steven king
Wew lad

Fucking kill yourself faggot, there are already threads going about this show you yourself just said isn't good.

The other Stranger Things thread up right now is going the exact same way.

T autism consensus being that the show sucks because it's not new and edgy and original enough.

i shit sistematically an all that crap with no exceptions

in which element does it excel exactly?
Writing? With the predictable nonsensical plot? The stupid as fuck actions perpetrated by the characters? Like when the cop decided to punch in the face authorities and infiltrate ALONE a maximum security government facility and succeeding at that?

Special effect? With that bland as fuck monster and that poorly made final battle? Even xena has better effects

Acting? Again nothing really stand out and nothing terrible, mediocrity is the right word

>>Why is this show so praised?
>Because the majority thinks it's a good show.

That's not an answer to the question, you basically just answered "why is it praised?" with "a lot of people praise the show".

>it's not new and edgy and original enough
Cred Forums is being Cred Forums which means being contrarian as fuck. It's telling about the quality of the show when the biggest argument people can find is that it's not rigorously original. Compared to most of what's being produced today though, Stranger Things is a breath of fresh air.

i don't give a shit about originality but i fail to see the quality here. Again, nothing stands out, nothing exceptional, yet nothing terrible.
Also zero character development.

>Compared to most of what's being produced today though, Stranger Things is a breath of fresh air.

How? Aside from getting decent child actors I don't see anything that I would classify as "great" in this show. It's so painfully run-of-the-mill.

It doesn't need to be "new" because nothing is new under the sun, but it should at least take some risks or try to be stylistic. This does none of that.

Don't give me that shit about there being no good shows on TV, there are plenty of recent shows that are way better: The Night Of, Narcos, The Americans, Silicon Valley, Rectify

It's alright. It's not super terrible but there's nothing groundbreaking about it. It's good for what it is tho

I don't think anyone is praising the movie for its technical expertise or writing though. It's not empirically and objectively a good movie because of factors X, Y and Z.

It's a fun adventure involving a group of kids unraveling a mystery. People liked watching the relationship between Froggo and Eleven grow in a somewhat believable way. It's not winning any awards but that's not what it was designed for.

>Also zero character development.
There's some, like Eleven, Nancy and her love interests. The show only had 8 episodes and the time wasn't divided up as nicely as it could have been. Forcing character development in a show that spans a few weeks would just feel awkward.

mediocre people (aka. most people) like mediocre shows. Why do you think Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are so popular as well?

c'mon the first three seasons of got where above mediocrity

Dropped on a second episode. This show failed to entartain me, though I'm a huge 80's guy. So, I agree with you. This show gains some points for casting and dialogues, but there is nothing other than that. So, you're right. Sadly.

First season was decent because it followed the book closely and thus the writing made sense.

Everything after is garbage because David and Dan got it into their heads that they too can write when in fact they're a couple of incompetent, retarded money-grubbing kikes.

>How?
It's not a reboot, it's not a sequel or a prequel, it's not an adaptation of a book or a comic. It's not a western production of a franchise taken from Japan or China. It's not imbued with a political or social message.

>It's so painfully run-of-the-mill.
How so? I don't see many other shows being released quite like Stranger Things. It uses a familiar setting but that just adds to the aesthetic.

>but it should at least take some risks or try to be stylistic.
It is stylistic, that's the point of the nostalgic setting. As for risks, I think that's getting pretty absurd. What TV show does take risks that ST doesn't? It's not 2001 but it doesn't need to be for people to still enjoy it. A lot of these complaints feel like they should be directed at the industry in general, yet have weirdly all been forced onto this one show.

>there are plenty of recent shows that are way better
Which of those 'take risks'? If you have a complaint about character development, that's a fair point. But not being innovative enough is a bit rich, especially with the list you gave.

I think it'a because the main character is such a relatable person and everyone is attached to him

safe, easy to understand, not overly long 80s meme show at the height of 80s nostalgia (by people born in the 90s) + babbys first high quality period TV show

>posting Froggo with a watermark
Here, take this one.

>Why is this show so praised?
Because Finn Wolfhard is in it.

>80s nostalgia (by people born in the 90s)

i'm one of those people but imo it also fails at that. Not enough pink neons, cars, games and synthetizers

it's the soundtrack

>a show is bad because people I don't like like it

welcome to Cred Forums

Because it's light, fun, non-offensive entertainment that came out in the summer during the worst movie blockbuster summer in history.

Stranger Things is a masterpiece. If you're looking for an actually overrated show, I'll give you one: Narcos. No one would watch it if it was a fictional character, it's as boring and uninteresting as it goes.

Trendy 80's infatuation and the fact that it was really fun.

As it gets*

It was a decently good watch and it's popular.

Apparently some people hate it because of that fact.

Millenials.
They love "le epic 80's vibe" because they think they born in the wrong generation.

I'm a millennial i listen daily to synthwave/newretrowave/outrun whatever you wanna call it and hotline miami is one of my favourite games. Yet this one was just boring uninteresting shit. The only time in all my life where i got bored of watching a show and started doing something else in the meantime

you're one of them future school shooter /jp/ type """edgy""" and """different""" millenials. but most people don't equate 80s nostalgia to hella f***in epic gore and blood memes

It's a peak in quality during an art drought. Everything we've had for the past 10 years has been covered in Jew-grease, don't deny you haven't felt it too.

You can tell that they've cut corners on everything in entertainment for the past decade for the sake of market-research based decisions. Even "good" movies and series of the past few years reeked of sterile laboratory-made gunk.

This series wasn't great, but it was the first home-made roast after six years of eating ramen and fast food.

Jesus Christ, is this what people who only watch HBO/Netflix shows and marvel movies actually believe? You think a literal ET ripoff with fake-80s aesthetics at the height of the 80s nostalgia wave is less "sterile" and "market-research based" than shows like The Knick or Rectify? Get the fuck out.

You better change your opinion right now.

>Implying it's the shows fault OP doesn't have an eye for quality television.

Don't you have some CW shows you need to marathon faggot?

This. I only know two people who loved it, one is an unremarkable simpleton and the other is a manchild. It's a show for the easily amused.

Daily reminder that everyone who doesn't like this show is either a hopelessly jaded contrarian or a homosexual.