Where and how do I learn and master the art of Ring theory for film?

Where and how do I learn and master the art of Ring theory for film?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwarsringtheory.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>yfw Mike couldn't actually debunk the ring theory he just called it stupid and counted on his idiot fanbase to agree with him

I'll bite. I think he fairly exhaustively and unnecessarily dealt with with the clear homages and symbolic similarities, clearly showing that no consistent ring theory could be established and that it's not very plausible. How didn't he actually debunk it? The theory is based on those shots and from that, a ring theory is not established.

>The theory is based on those shots
But it wasn't.
I don't even like the ring theory as an idea but the website where it's described goes into much more detail in favor of it than Mike's ""debunking"" goes into against it.

The ring theory, if applicable to Star Wars as a whole, isn't from the guidience from a sagelike George, it's in the hands of the editors, cinematographers, costume, prop and set designers, all striving for a consistent continuity of style and tone.

That's why Geonosis doesn't work.

Explain.

>But it wasn't.
This was clearly a strong component of it. If not, what the basis? The similarities of each prequel are clearly stronger for each corresponding entry in the OT, (I resembles IV, II resembles V, etc.) When Lucas said, "it's like poetry, it rhymes," this was clearly based on the destruction of the Death Star, or Episode IV as a whole, (I guess he was just lying there to make his theory more ingeniously secret). The "circles within circles" nonsense removes it even farther from falsification and is just there to explain the frequent homages the movies have.

But if there's more to it, I would like to hear it.

The Ring Theory, such as it is, still holds water after watching Mike's op ed.

Whether or not it holds water in isolation is a different matter though.

I'm out though. Plinkettfriends don't operate on facts.

Mate, just watch the behind the scenes clips. It's incredibly obvious George had no idea what he was doing, and just went a bit mad with all the creative power he had. There is no masterful, overarching structre there. Just an old man who went too far in a few places.

Of course you're out because you're arguing nothing and have no examples to present.

Lucas whole career is based on references, he constantly references his own movies as well, be it shots or story.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, its stupid.

Maybe it's just how mike explained it, but that shit didn't strike me as deep or insightful at all. All I could see it as was ripping off imagery. basically literal memberberries

I'd like to see literally any other example done by someone who wasn't a hack

>but that shit didn't strike me as deep or insightful at all.
I think that was Mike's point.

>attributing genius to a complete hack fraud

>It's incredibly obvious George had no idea what he was doing
No, it most definitely is not, but as I said here
>Plinkettfriends don't operate on facts.
You won't ever listen.

I'll leave you with a small example though.

In the behind the scenes of episode 3, George is seen going up to a clay model a guy is making for the Utapau minister. George goes and puts some vertical lines on it's head which is what gives him his memorable appearance in the movie.
In a thread a few years ago here that video was posted and people were acting like this incident was an example of how stupid and bad and too far in a few places etc etc etc George was.
When in reality, George's little tweak is what makes the character memorable.
Plinkettdrones are beyond saving.

eat my taint

JJ is MUCH worse than Lucas
TPM poetry
>Anakin goes with an underdog team of Naboo star pilots and accidentally blows up a droid control ship with a circular center, but distinctly different design from the Death Star

TFA poetry
>rag tag resistance group with a few X-Wings go for a trench run on a spherical sized weapon that shoos out a laser from a big hole in the side

>memorable.

literally w h o

no idea how whether the film is or is not an example of ring theory has anything to do with the narrative value of the film. lucas doesn't know how to write people falling in love in ep 2.

i'm not going to bother reading it because i don't give a shit, but from how mike explained it, it just seems like an extremely elaborate autistic explanation for lucas reusing themes. it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

case in point

You're so far removed from reality it's pathetic.

>lucas is no longer allowed to ruin the star wars franchise

>lucas doesn't know how to write people falling in love in ep 2.
You're an idiot and Lucas knew exactly what he was doing.

Hint: Elliot Roger thought the romance was amazing.
Of course, you'll miss the implication of that as well.

Silly me I forgot the hordes of action figures and memorabilia for "Utapau Minister"

Should have realized it since "Utapau Minister" is in all those lists of why the prequels were good

>all those lists of why the prequels were good
click bait for retards

kek
You're only hurting yourself, m8.

>Elliot Roger thought the romance was amazing.
kek, did he? I read the manifesto and I know he loved the prequels, but I don't remember that part.

On one hand, you would think this would give him a very chivalrous view of woman and have incredible respect for them, but on that other hand, it makes perfect sense.

He liked all 3 prequels, but he put particular emphasis on AOTC.
To be completely honest i'm not sure if he talked about the romance specifically, but I think it's a safe guess that it AOTC was his favorite it had something to do with the romance.

>lazy director liberally tosses in call backs and references to earlier successful movies
>It's a grand, sophisticated deliberate tapestry of genius
Jesus Christ, I'm glad I'd never heard of this horseshit before.

I think you're bullshitting or just wrong, user. This is all he had to say:

>I was awestruck by the time the movie ended. It found it to be absolutely phenomenal. James and I talked about it for hours afterward

Holy shit, what awful taste. Even as a kid, I knew these movies, (with the exception of Episode III), were bad.

>but he put particular emphasis on AOTC.
Not seeing that here.

>I'm glad I'd never heard of this horseshit before.
But you're all too happy to use it as a strawman against all prequel fans, i'm sure.
Mike knows his fanboys well.

wow, you are almost a parody of a conspiracy nut.

>not appreciating Lucas's masterful use of ancient babylonian film making techniques

thought provoking rebuttal

Ring theory is hilarious. Prequel apologists are clinically insane.

stealing scenes shot for shot from flash gordon serials, westerns and samurai films

>genius

but red tails was good tho, right?

see
>implying all prequal fans believed in, let alone knew about ring theory

*uel
whoops

>prequel fans
Nice meme

Of course it was good. The best movie of the century.
Red Tails was the first movie to cast black people, after all. If you say anything bad about it then you must be a racist pepe cultist.

>but red tails was good tho, right?
No, but THX 1138 was. Lucas didn't direct Red Tails btw.

>he fell for the untalented Lucas meme

youtube.com/watch?v=sx15aXjcDZg

>meme

I heard the gym mats that the wresting team practices on can give you ring worm. So that's probably a good place to start.

youtube.com/watch?v=PKvsc6a03Es

Red Tails was a groundbreaking movie, the first to have black people not depicted in grass huts and throwing spears. Lucas is a visionary.

be george lucas

desu

As someone who has actually red the article this Mike guy sounds like a hack. The article is very thorough, autistic you might say, and not limited to a few shots.

It's a really neat concept and I'd like to see it more.

We can all agree attack of the clones is the worst star wars, right?

nope
it was until TFA

>everyone that dislikes the prequels likes TFA

Could you share what those differences are? No bully, pls, I'm honestly interested.

>prequel apologists finally start realizing the prequels will never, ever be good
>they start inventing crazy theories to trick people into believing they're good
>the theories don't make sense and make them look even more nuts

Prequel apologists... had a hard life.

that's adorable

>no refutation
gg

Fuck off you retarded little faggot

It's their own fault.

>prequels will never, ever be good
see

I find the Phantom Menace worse. The pacing is worse, it had the incredible shock that was experiencing something that awful as being the new Star Wars after 17 years, it had a greater focus on its protagonists, Anakin showed greater character development and was slightly less obnoxious, and Padme was hotter. The story was arguably also easier to follow, though it also arguably makes less sense.

>believes rotten tomatoes has merit
Like I said, adorable.

oh I see

carry on then

Way too long article, plz rtfa starwarsringtheory.com/

I don't even like the prequels. Marathoning Star Wars really shows the drop in quality.

purest art.

average rating: 7.3

average rating: 6.1

Oh.

>Way too long article
Which was why I was asking.

>Luke, did I ever tell you about ring theory?

>Millenials with lousy taste vs. everyone else, the thread.

>Millenial
You're a Millennial though.

Unless you're older than 36.

Is a .5 different to big for you, princess?

Are you implying that puss n boots was bad?

I think Plinkett had the right idea on the TFA not being garbage, but it's still boring. It's just as this user describes. I just get mad that they don't talk about the "FRESH" characters. They just talk about Finn not being as great, but Rey is broken as shit and doesn't need the rest of the cast, she can do everything herself... Kylo is a "deeper" character but no tension is left as the main villain to just be a weak and ineffective.

I did not care for that movie's beginning, just seemed like a worse version of the Shrek films which have aged like milk, (or at least bread), so I stopped watching it. Did I make a mistake?

I think he was much more effective in showing the merits of Star Trek 09, (a movie he basically has reconsidered afterwards to be mediocre), than this movie. He really didn't have it in him, explaining the overly long treatment of the ring theory.

Millennials prove once again they're worst generation by defending the prequels

George looks dead inside.

>"I have made a terrible mistake..."

It was a pretty stupid idea for him to stand for that shoot.

see

It was probably required by some clause in the 4000 page contract he signed.

Go fuck yourself

Better luck next time prequelfags. Maybe in 50 years when Disney have churned out 180 more Star Wars movies there'll be a couple of 'em that are so shitty they'll ALMOST make the prequels look good.

Almost.

You're such a fucking shit cunt, why are you so unbearable?

Every time you post you reveal more ignorance.

>dat pic

You should have good enough taste to appreciate the prequels.
You're a conundrum my man.

phone poster please

But it would be no fun if we all agreed, Satan.

Prequel """"fans"""" are nothing more than an evolution of the typical Cred Forums contrarian autist.

RLM makes a very popular review series of the prequels, it is liked by many people. Because it is popular, the autists must come out of the woodwork in order to dispute the popular opinion, like the typical hipster fucks they are. They convince themselves that they are unique little snowflakes who go against the grain. Somehow, in their deluded little minds, I believe they actually think the prequels are kinography. They have deluded themselves to such a high level that there is no escape from it.

A few more comments like this and I might change my trip, but hopefully, I'll leave this shithole to never return before then.

>contrarian
No, you are the contrarian by definition.
Truth hurts.

Let's hope you do. You drag down the quality of every thread you post in.

Better?

better that you just leave

Maybe you should have made that clear.

get the fuck out of here you retarded little faggot

No.

This tbqh desu

>unironically using "-drones" in a thread

If the rest of your post didn't make it blindingly obvious, that little moment is a clear indicator of your autism. Go outside you fucking shut in.

Also Lucas is a fucking hack who almost ruined his own franchise with 3 terrible, unnecessary prequels

Wether agree or not you should watch this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

I have, several times now.