What do you think about Lorne Malvo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs
youtube.com/watch?v=xN7oNxl6wAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fedoracore character

>dude I'm an extremely skillfull hitman but I'm going to burn a cover I spent a year setting up to make a point that this guy shouldn't have bothered me almost as if I'm on a tv show for edgy teens lmao

also the way he left the show was just fucking moronic and not what he seemed like during the firsts episodes

How would you have killed him off? I disagree and felt he was much better than le quiet native american killer.

I like the show and this season a lot, but sometimes I felt like they tried a little to hard with this character (a few others too)

Why did Lester let this qtp2t die?

Hilarious
His smirk when he dobs in that kid messing with the lady's car was amazing.

>Muh pure asian waifu

pathetic

This Indian was a joke his link with the Season 1 is fan fiction tier

That was unbelievably stupid. Like they just felt like they had to come up with another connection between seasons and did so at the last minute

Why does such a great show have such shit finales bros?

Because nailing the dismount is the hardest thing in TV writing.

I'm still mad they killed Ed.
And Bear. And Dodd.

because nothing on FX can end with any "bad guys" winning.

Guys Kirsten Dunst was a alien the whole time boys.

He's the biggest reason I quit the show half-way through the first season. Absolutely disgracefully bad.

He could do anything. Get away with anything. Be anywhere, any time, and every time he said something that came straight out of the ass of an angsty teenager everyone in the room got visibly confused and disturbed like it suddenly dawned on them that he was the fucking DEA and they tried to sell him coke or something.

It boggles the mind how anyone in the world can be so tasteless as to buy this shit along with the piss-poor acting the show had altogether. Every performance felt contrived, theatrical and overdramatic; essentially everything wrong with American film making, but somehow they took the extra step.

It felt as though they said "Let's see how much shit we can get away with. We know other continents hate how we exaggerate feelings like they do in children's movies and cartoons because children aren't good at subtle messages. Let's see if we can actually convince those faggots that it's a bad thing or if we just get away with it."

AND THEY FUCKING DID. THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT. BRAVO. I can normally stomach it because if I couldn't the vast majority of American movies would be something I could never watch, but this fucking guy being Deus Ex Machina: The Character was the end of it. For those who are unaware, deus ex machina is a plot device that every writer should strive to avoid at any cost, NOT TURN INTO A FUCKING CHARACTER.

Moral of the story: Lorne Malvo is a fucking bitch, and the worst character I've seen on TV to this date. He single-handedly made me quit a TV show, something I've never done before.

>He could do anything. Get away with anything. Be anywhere, any time, and

That's because he is Satan - you embarrassing moron. The show is a fable.

>dude that show is popular so just to be a unique butterfly i will talk shit about it in a cynical manner

He doesn't represent Satan in any way possible. Satan is first and foremost manipulative, leading humanity away from what God intends, not a douchebag who goes around thinking the real world is Grand Theft Auto. The closest he comes to Satan is a teenager's understanding of LaVeyan Satanism, which coincides pretty well with being an antisocial edgemaster who glorifies The Joker and psychopathy.

Nah, it was perfect, because they didn't use some cliché, like big shooting or whatever.

are you retarded? the entire point of his character is that he likes to fuck around with people and is only a hitman or whatever he is because it opens up tons of ways for him to do that

playing with people is first, anything else is second to him

how the fuck did you miss that it's like his only characteristic

Hanzee was great until the unnecessary connection. Although I would have liked a little more of him showing that he was tired of his life, felt like they kind of dropped that into our laps

>he doesn't represent satan in any way possible

>Satan is first and foremost manipulative, leading humanity away from what God intends
>has a literal briefcase full of conversations showcasing the people he corrupts
>corrupted Lester into becoming a monster
>spends the entire midseason manipulating around the greek guy

kill yourself any time

God this show went to shit half way through.

How did he get out of the basement?

Okay now that elevator scene was over the line. There is no way you can clean up a few gallons of blood and brain cells within only 15 minutes or so. Or I'm missing here something?

You're the fucking moron. He didn't corrupt Lester into being a monster, he corrupted him into egoism which is what LaVeyan Satanism is about. All his survival of the fittest bullshit, nuances of green, yadda yadda. LaVeyan Satanism all of it. Not REAL Theistic Satanism. He's about revering yourself, about individualism, not about SATAN, you fucking doofus.

And if I didn't stress it enough already, they completely missed the point of it while they did this shit, turning him into le absolute madman, mistaking the hedonistic aspects of it with being a sociopath.

golly gee I'm sorry I confused one form of satanism with another form of satanism when all that really matters is he corrupted people that were previously good and gained pleasure from it

that's all you need to know about this character, who fucking cares if he corrupts them out of a sense of feeding his ego or funnybone or turning them away from god on some righteous mission.

le absolute madman isn't an argument, he was written to be a horrible person who we still liked because he had a sick joviality to the terrible things he did, which melded perfectly with one of the biggest parts of the series: portraying horrible fucked up crime on the backdrop of quaint "oofta!" Minnesota

Lester didn't got corrupted he was over stressed he just said fuck it and exploded

he would not have done any of the things he did after meeting malvo if he had no met malvo

Are you just trolling, or actually clinically retarded?

The show is a variation on the classic tale of Doctor Faustus. It's not supposed to be a realistic crime drama -- you illiterate mouthbreather.

I'm not sure about this. I think it was just a matter of time for him to loosing his shit. The only difference is that Malvo helped him to get away with his crimes.

He didn't have the capacity to kill anyone until he heard about Lorne killing Hess for him and hearing Lorne talk about being primal and taking what's yours. That's why he tries to fix the washer, to do something about his life and go primal. Then when Pearl challenges his manhood in like 5 ways in 5 seconds he loses it (yeah a big part because he's boiled over, but also because he got it into this head that he can be a man and take what he wants from Malvo, and Pearl comes along and shits all over it).

And he NEVER would have thought "take what he wants" enough to frame Chaz as meek little Lester from episode 1

But if he represents LaVeyan Satanism (not worship of Satan, but worship of yourself), there's a huge problem with him being able to do all these things without difficulty. I get that it serves a purpose, but it doesn't change that he's a bad character. They put way too little study into the things they're trying to show, and you get a mess of a character, where, if you don't shut your brain off partly you're gonna have a bad time.

Maybe it works on paper but then once it comes to the execution of it and you can't actually make the character likable or remotely interesting the whole thing falls flat. To me he was a piss-ant from the beginning, preaching shit I've heard a million times over because I've already been a teenager before and I'm through that, and because that appeared to be the extent of his character. Something for the same teenagers I hung around with back then to affirm their radical belief that society would be better if the strong survived and the world could be their lawless sandbox.

I don't argue he has to be realistic, I argue that he has to have some integrity, and some afterthought from the writers wouldn't hurt either. He REALLY is something that came straight out of an angsty teenager, and it's obvious for anyone to see that if they have the will. Cool, mysterious, total fucking psycho. He could've just as well been written by this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs

>He REALLY is something that came straight out of an angsty teenager
Name 5 specific things he does that make him an angsty teenager-type character, rather than a less than human hitman in a quirky show.

I just don't really understand what your problem with the character is. He was only preaching shit insofar as letting people know how he operates. And unlike a lot of the edgy characters that preach things like primalcy or law of the jungle, he wasn't doing it as an agenda. He never said he thought it would be best if everyone acted like that or that he even wanted everyone to act like him. He acted the way he did because he thought it was fun and entertaining and got a kick out of it. He saw himself as the predator and got a kick out of playing with his prey before he killed it or let it go. He got a kick out of playing around with people.

I think they purposefully made him so lighthearted with all the jokes he makes and pranks he plays because they wanted to make sure he didn't come off as an edgemaster

It's not like he was shouting at Lester that humanity should go back to being apes and it's survival of the fittest. He just said that to him calmly because he believes that's how people act at their core without really giving a shit if Lester believed him, because in the end, he was going to keep doing whatever he wanted

>"Maps use to say there'd be dragons here"

Dope im mad as fuck I didn't write this

He had to kill them because lester would have made them suspicious about who malvo really is
Does malvo seem like the type of person who would leave anything up to chance to you?

What was the Hanzee connection to S1?

He got plastic surgery and came back as the crime boss that hess worked with

Malvo killed him in that office shootout

He went from thin Indian to fat Lebanese

1. First and foremost, he's misunderstood. Most people see him as a frail middle-aged man, but he has another side, a dark side. The themes of being misunderstood and having a hidden side very much plays into angst and edge.
2. All his survival BS that I've gone over too much already.
3. Being the Gary Stu version of... pretty much an edgy teen. Been over this as well; things always pan out the way he wishes, have the intended effect, people respond just the way he wants them to to literally anything he does or says. What does he use this magical gift for? Masquerading as Mr. Nice Guy while secretly murdering people.
4. His disregard for the law and authority appeals to the notoriously rebellious side of teenage boys.
5. He has delusions of grandeur about himself which are only supported by the fact that he can do fucking anything. Alternatively he could have gotten away with things if he just planned it out more carefully and the writer(s) put some thought into the writing, but instead opting for the Gary Stu route. All those elaborate power-play fantasies and thinking he's better because he's above carnal pleasure... It's revoltingly teenage.
And the way he teaches Lester to take control of his life is such a bully-victim fantasy that I shouldn't have to mention how well that panders to unpopular teens dressed in dark with a fondness of knives.

I don't know if you didn't hang out with the unpopular kids back in your high school days, but as someone who did this is all too familiar, and doesn't improve upon it in any way.

No doubt they had good intentions for him and thought it would be interesting with yet another charming villain, but how I see it he's just written poorly and it's all in the details. Of course if you're not very pedantic, little details like that won't bother you.

On a personal note, I didn't find him charming either so all I saw was the edge and non-stop deus ex machina; both of them very unwanted.

>muh real satanism
you belong in a psych ward mate.

>Lorne Malvo
>Forlorn Malevolence
really makes you think

I think it's valid to point out that he can't act as the impersonation of Satan if he's also used to represent a religion that doesn't have anything to do with Satan.

ugh. this gave me a fucking headache. how can people this stupid exist?

>i judge a character over some shit that i believe to be true because i am definitely not just a loser who overthinks everything lmao

since i dont know who you are and never will, please, do me a favor and just dunk your head in a toilet

this is for you too

>misunderstood
People who are misunderstood exist in real life, you know. It's not JUST an angsty teenager meme. Try to disconnect from your traumatic high school experiences for a second.
>all his survial BS
A psycho killer who believes the weak ought to be killed is gonna have feelings like that. Again, disconnect from your high school.
>things always pan out the way he wishes
That's not even true though. Later in the season (the part you didn't watch) the fuckups keep accumulating and in the end he's bested by something worse: Lester.
>people respond just the way he wants them to to literally anything he does or says
Once again, try to disconnect from your high school experiences. He's supposed to channel the devil. It's blatant as fuck. It makes perfect sense that he has power over people, and it has nothing to do with angsty teenagers.
>his disregard for law or authority blah blah
He's a fucking psycho killer. NOTHING to do with teenagers.
>delusions of grandeur about himself which are only supported by the fact taht he can do fucking anything
They're not delusions then, are they? It's the cockiness of the devil.
>Alternatively he could have gotten away with things if he just planned it out more carefully and the writer(s) put some thought into the writing, but instead opting for the Gary Stu route.
But all his plans were perfectly solid. Later in the season when he starts fucking up, his plans start to dissolve too.
>And the way he teaches Lester to take control of his life is such a bully-victim fantasy that I shouldn't have to mention how well that panders to unpopular teens dressed in dark with a fondness of knives.
All he did was validate Lester's own psychotic sociopathic tendencies, and then went out by themselves.

In conclusion, you looked into this WAY WAY WAY too much, absolutely desperate to associate EVERYTHING he did with your high school experience.

you are fooling yourself if you believe that what you call real satanism isn't just as edgy and stupid as laveyan satanism. What do you even mean by real satanism anyway? What's your criteria for recognizing a branch of satanism as real? I could see Malvo being a ONA guy for example.

This

shut up you faggot edgelord

Is this an unpopular opinion? The show is like a straight to DVD ripoff of Breaking Bad.

You drawing upon irrelevant caricatures does not prove anything you fucking brainlet. With your insecure viewpoint could mean you could take a character like Judge Holden from Blood Meridian and say:
"He's just an edgy anarchist, hurr, he acts in his own interests and is misunderstood from everyone because he's different from the brutes of his entourage, hurr what a shit character".
Kill yourself my dude.

You can say that about any show with a character who goes from submissive to assertive you sperg. Breaking bad didn't invent character development.

Yeah but that's the problem: HE CAN'T BE SATAN IF HE REPRESENTS A RELIGION THAT DOESN'T ACKNOWLEDGE SATAN'S EXISTENCE

And like I said in an earlier post, you need to partly shut your brain off to endure the infliction of this show upon yourself. Something you've trained and perfected it seems.

LaVeyan Satanism is atheistic. It does not support the belief that Satan exists, and does not encourage the worship of Satan. Any Theistic Satanism believes the opposite. Have I not made this clear already?

You're retarded, the show is a tribute to a few Cohen movies at once, there's no drug or dealers, kill yourself my dude

He doesn't represent any form of Satan*ism*, you fucking waffle, he just represents SATAN.

It likely wouldn't fit as perfectly as it fits here. At this point all I do is repeat myself. It's in the details, and you can see it if you have the will. If you would rather keep your eyes closed then I can't show you.

If you had just a grain of knowledge about LeVeyan Satanism you'd take that back.

>HE CAN'T BE SATAN IF HE REPRESENTS A RELIGION THAT DOESN'T ACKNOWLEDGE SATAN'S EXISTENCE
He represents the Christian Satan. He is manipulative, he is cruel, he is cunning, and the fucking lights flicker when he kills people. He even simulates the 10 plagues on that supermarket guy, and before you start bitching about how that's God and not Satan, it brings even more theistic imagery. Not to mention the Jewish faith doesn't have Satan, there's no separation of good and evil into two different entities in it.
Jesus fucking Christ, you Grade-A retard.

>you need to partly shut your brain off to endure the infliction of this show upon yourself.
No, user. You just need to immerse yourself in a show without connecting it to your butthurt fucking high school. Nice try trying to get all smug though.

Yep, definitely not satan.
youtube.com/watch?v=xN7oNxl6wAg

You have your head entirely up your own ass.

First off, there are many laveyan satanists that still believe in magic, demons, satan etc. and use it in their own rituals, even tho' laveyan satanism claims atheism. But even so, you have provided no proof that Malvo is a representation of Laveyan satanism.

Hanzee the half-breed!

Yeah, give me the blame for these faggots making a character who portrays LeVeyan Satanist values (egoism, individuality, naturalistic worldview, etc.) at every chance he gets and somehow miss out on the fact that even though it's called Satanism it doesn't actually fucking worship Satan.

Many of his ideas are closely related to it, but when the writers fuck up so hard they think the religion is about Satan it's hard to willfully give them any type of credit.

There are groups with similar ideas that also worship Satan as a true deity, i don't see why it has to be laveyan satanism and it can't be anything else. After all, there are more ancient and influential branches of satanism, while Lavey is a relatively "recent" fad.

None of those values conflict with him very obviously being depicted as THE DEVIL. In fact, they even support it. He sows discord by preaching these things.
Now I'm gonna bring some quotes to support my assessment of 1. him being the devil and 2. you being a fucking retard.

>I'm gonna roll my window up, then I'm going to drive away and you're gonna go home to your daughter. And every few years you're gonna look at her face and know that you're alive because you chose not to go down on a certain road on a certain night. That you chose to walk into the light instead of into the darkness.
Darkness. Confronting Malvo is the route of darkness.
>Because some roads you shouldn't go down. Because maps used to say, "There be dragons here." Now they don't. But that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
Lorne compares himself to a mythical creature.
>I haven't had pie like this since the Garden of Eden.
Religious imagery related to Christianity.

All the times he did preach those individualistic qualities, he ALWAYS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, preached them to vulnerable characters to get under their skin, fuck with them, confuse them, or scare them. He saw them as his prey, and he liked to toy with them. He never earnestly went around talking about the merits of LeVeyan Satanism.

Strictly speaking yes, it could be something else, it could even be just taking inspiration from all sorts of places and concocting a character that doesn't represent anything clearly despite them wanting him to... Hey, that's familiar, reminds me of Lorne Malvo, a dismal failure of a character. It wouldn't be the first time writers were wrong either, don't be afraid to question the quality of something just because it's successful or because you enjoy it. I enjoy trash as well, but I know it's trash.

I know they tried to be all "he's the devil" but I'm saying that doesn't work if they also say "this guy's beliefs aren't like the devil's, they really resemble the beliefs of another religion that doesn't even acknowledge the devil's existence."

Funny he seemed like a complete insane psychopath to me.
Everything he did was IN character,
He did what he wanted with no care for consequences, thats the point.

So much autism in this thread...

> satanism A is better than satanism B

You're missing the point.

Satanism A acknowledges the devil
Satanism B does not

Character portrays satanism B while also portraying the devil. That shows a misunderstanding of satanism B, and messes with the plot because he gets away with a lot of things ONLY because he's the devil.

Can you give any good character examples since you're so wise about satanism?

Lorne is Satan. Stop fighting

Proof: when he infest the building with bugs out of nowhere. He's there to represent the devil subtly.

All I ask is consistency. If he's the devil, cool, don't make him talk about all the values and beliefs of a religion that says "we don't believe in the devil"

What does that even mean?

>be lorne malvo
>don't believe in the devil
>am the devil
>all for the sake of being a conduit for angsty teenagers' dark fantasies

this is completely autistic, religion doesn't "own" specific beliefs, he can talk about whatever the fuck he wants without representing some basement dweller religion

Fargo is terrible but I don't think the writers studied satanism dude. It's general biblical symbolism.

>don't believe in the devil
???????????????????

It's much better than many modern shows

he assumes that malvo belongs to the leywhatever satanism group just because he speaks about some of the ideas of that group, it's stupid as fuck

Seek help ASAP.

I'm sure it works that way in real life but movies and shows are different. People don't say things just because. You don't make TV like that, where people just do whatever. Who would watch that shit? Every character is supposed to decisively play a part in a story where their role actually serves a purpose. You don't put things there which aren't needed. Same goes for props, lines, etc. It's wasteful.

It's clear they didn't study it, but they heard of it and thought it would be a good idea to put the most core beliefs of this new popular religion into the show because it's called satanism and of course that must mean that's what the devil believes in.

That isn't saying much though maybe i would have liked it more if it wasn't based on the movie, really pretentious and amateurish in comparison.

I preferred it more than the movie at least the second season was very original it's just a shame the resolution was weak

>are you retarded? the entire point of his character is that he likes to fuck around with people and is only a hitman or whatever he is because it opens up tons of ways for him to do that
>playing with people is first, anything else is second to him

so literally the joker but less interesting? I don't think you could make a character that appeals more to edgy teens than this.

I'm convinced that some anons here could write better scripts than the showrunners. Never stop being special, Cred Forums.

dude nice

The fucking ufos in season 2

"Why was there a ufo?"
Writer "cuz I wanted to show things are absurd"

Season 1 > Season 2

They're both good, but this is undeniable

I assume you mean season 2 because season 1 had a godlike finale

Honestly, even taking aside the excuse that he's supposed to interpret Satan, I thought he was entirely believable. Just someone who isn't afraid to fuck with people and gets by the world because people would rather not deal with him.

The only thing that was a bit much was when he went on that shootout inside the building and killed an entire mob. But it was cool, so whatever.

>I don't think you could make a character that appeals more to edgy teens than this

Oh I think you mentioned one just a couple of words earlier.

Are you fucking stupid or trolling? Lester was gonna break his cover. He gave him like 3 clear cut, legitimate chances to just walk away and he didn't take them. The only reason he didn't kill Lester with all the others was cause he wanted a convenient set of hands to help disposing the bodies and he figured he could kill him later.

He put a good amount of effort to maintain his cover, but Lester's a dumb fuck who's now entitled as fuck and wouldn't let up so it didn't work out.

I hate the term fedoracore but otherwise this is 100% accurate. Also he murders three people in the elevator of a casino with no repercussions and no clean up. But it's the best show ever keep looking for deeper meaning while ignoring the fact that it stole it's entire aesthetic and did nothing with it.

Because it's a fucking shit show. It's really sad that people have such cognitive dissonance that they can still think a show is great after repeatedly demonstrating how terrible it is, especially in the most important episodes of the season.