Can we talk about this underrated series please

Can we talk about this underrated series please
Yesterday I pretty much binge-watched 9 episodes of Season 2, I just couldn't stop

just look at S1 ratings on this fucking shit site
rottentomatoes.com/tv/marco_polo/s01/
>"critics"
>24%
>audience
>91%
WHAT THE FUCK

>using RedditTomatoes

Marco Polo the character is extremely uninteresting, they should've just named it kublai khan. The show itself is alright like a 6-7/10

the show is done well from an aesthetic point of view and the production is top, but the story is unbearable. they not only raped the story of marco polo, no, they have to invent and crusade against the mongols that never happened, painting christians as blood thirsty barbarians killing the noble horde. i won't bother watching season 3.

now to more important questions, would you rather a blue princess

or a khutulun?

this bothered me as well 2bh, for example how could a christian army move into the heart of mongolia without anyone noticing?

I really liked the second season (where they didn't try to be HBO 2.0)

As stated earlier, the Marco Polo character is boring as fuck and is mainly used as a tool to move the audience around (similar to Orlando Bloom's character in Kingdom of Heaven). It's a bit sad, but good, that he was less in focus in S2.

The fighting choreography is great. I wished more modern film should adapt that classic Chinese film-fighting style. (I think I heard that the same choreographer would work on Iron Fist)

Kublai is 10/10 and a great character to follow.

I get the point of 100 eyes, but I think he is a bit too cartoony. I was not a fan of the film.

>Netflix original

For the "cool" factor.
But isn't they supposed to be the Russians? Who win at the end

they would'nt even got this far. without getting rekt by muslim troops, so far away from any kind of support. this was plain stupid, but what could we expect from an (((weinstein))) production?

>I get the point of 100 eyes, but I think he is a bit too cartoony.
agreed, I like some of the fantasy stuff in the series but him being this blind kickass warrior who doesn't need any help at all to move around ist just... too cartoon like

I get that they are playing on the "blind fighting monk"-trope. But they could have done it better.
Fuck. For a majority of S1 I didn't even know he was blind.

Season 1 was great other than the kung fu bullshit.

Haven't watched S2 yet.

russian templars? what are you taking lad?

I didn't even know Marco Polo was a real historical figure, really interesting and I suppose historically accurate, if only we replace classes with movies....

>I didn't even know Marco Polo was a real historical figure
pic related

>I suppose historically accurate
lol no

>christians as blood thirsty barbarians killing the noble horde
when did that happen?
as i remember european soldiers were only at the end of season 2, and doing nothing, but preparing on battle and scheming

Marco is weak as a character and has too much plot armor. As cartoony as Hundred Eyes is, he's my favorite after Kublai. As usual, a show trying to be very adult has dumb sexual content that detracts from the show imo. I thought season 2 was significantly less good than 1, but it still had some great stuff. There are a lot of great supporting cast members in the show. The Khan's Empress is my number 3 favorite. I also like how Mongolia gave it an award for presenting the Mongolians in a more positive light than they could have.

Also, when Hundred Eyes is on screen I like to sing his name to the song Hungry Eyes. Huuuuuundred Eeeeyyyyyes~

Kuthulun of cours. fake blue princess is retarded.
Mei Lin > Kuthulun

>the noble horde.
they showed the mongols literally dismembering POWs alive and throwing their flesh into some sort of giant cauldron to make a biological weapon out of it, on kublais orders

you retards do realise the show has taken a fantasy element

with the assasins and hundred eyes taking on 50 guys from season 1 to this magical christ army hiding in the desert with season 2

if you cant enjoy the show that never claimed to be historically accurate you must have OCD or some shit

>if you cant enjoy the show that never claimed to be historically accurate you must have OCD or some shit
I didn't say that I don't like it, but an army showing up out of nowhere doesn't make sense, even in this fantasy-like setting

anyway, I really liked that they don't fuck around when it comes to character developing
this nigga has some real mommy issues

i do enjoy the show, and asking what was historically inaccurate. I'm not familiar with Marco Polo and mongol history.
(aside from the ninja things. and btw that wasn't 'magical' anyway, they just were high)

you mean MeiLin is old?

I'm pretty sure they showed a Orthodox cross (the Christianity practised in Russia, I think).
And IIRC I read on wikipedia that soon after Kublai's reign the "Russians" took over large parts of his kingdom.

Ahmad reminds me of sWooZie for some reason

fucking gross
blue princess s1 is mine

I have been watching it as it's been released and I have to say I quite enjoy it. I could tell they were pushing the "WE WANT THE GOT AUDIENCE" in the beginning, but it seems like they've backed off from that now. The show has pretty good writing but it's real strength happens to be the costume/set design. As for the characters, I think they've done well thus far, and Hundred Eyes short was cool as fuck, now sure what everyone dislikes about it. Someone said this is pushed more towards fantasy or folk lore, and I would agree; that was apparent to me from the beginning.

Here's hoping season 3 is good, I think Netflix has been known to fumble the ball as soon as they get it off the ground.

Shit. Meant for But I looked it up and was wrong. Here's the cross they showed.

>but it's real strength happens to be the costume/set design
This. The show looks fucking incredible. It's impossible to watch other historical/fantasy shows after this, they look like an hobos asshole in comparison.

Cyka deus cult blyat! Rush Jerusalem!

>season 1- 5/10
>season 2- 9/10
Would die for Kublai tbqh. Even if it was relatively low budget,the big battle of season 2 was better than anything GoT has done outside of Hardhorne.

>>season 1- 5/10
no.

As you love Kublai? He had more screentime in season 1,

I'm marathoning the first season today.

>mfw it's a masterpiece.

>it's a Chinese guy with a Flight of the Concords tier New Zealand accent episode

FINALLY A MARCO POLO THREAD ON Cred Forums!

Anyone else agree that besides the Great Khan himself, pic related is the second best character on the show?

excuse me, underrated character coming through

I have to rewatch season 1 before starting season 2. Dunno when I'll ever get around to it. Is it true there will be no season 3?

>'Marco Polo' Season 3 Not Cancelled; Showrunner Admits Cast & Crew Are Ready For Upcoming Season
>iTech Post - 2 days ago

Marco

I agree with the posters pointing out Joan Chen and Benedict Wong, they carry the show. Everyone is great though, I think Marco is good even though I agree with the idea that he's the weakest character.

Great settings, locations, and costumes, good production value, my only complaint was it tried to be HBO-ish with the exotic sexuality thrown in every other episode.

>tfw you avoided it for years because you thought marco polo was being played by the retard who playe will graham in hannibal

why does the promo shot look nothing even remotely like the actual actor?

>tfw you avoided it for years
show is 2 years old

Chabi > mei lin