Why did the Gondorians call him Mithrandir in the movies but nobody else does?

Why did the Gondorians call him Mithrandir in the movies but nobody else does?

Why did Sam call Aragorn Strider even after Fellowship?

mithrandir means "great mage" it's his nickname

Gandalf has been on Middle earth for thousands of years, different people have different names for him

Strider started off as a derogatory term for Aragorn invented by suspicious Bree-folk but it became a term of endearment between him and the hobbits

Strider isn't derogatory, its just what everyone in Bree called him. It's also how he was introduced to the Hobbits .

We're there ever any other 'overt' magic users besides the Wizards? I get that they're like super-Angels and not actually men and stuff. So we're there ever any actual men who could like cast spells and shit? And not like the passive magic that the elves seem to have.

Yea but we see Frodo and the others calling him Aragorn after the council of Elrond.

Only fat Sam keeps calling him Strider. Is he fucking retarded?

>mithrandir means "great mage" it's his nickname

no it means grey pilgrim GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

`And yet less thanks have we than you. Travellers scowl at us, and countrymen give us scornful names. "Strider" I am to one fat man who lives within a day's march of foes that would freeze his heart or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly.

Necromancers mostly.

Even they're not that overt. Gandalf still fights up close with a sword more often that not.

It's not like dnd or Warcraft where there are Mage guilds and people can learn to cast fireballs and stuff, though I can see how it would be misleading given how much those aped off of the aesthetic of LoTR

there are no necromancers other than Sauron

Go back to /r9k/, maybe there they let you pull shit out of your ass (ie the "wiki").

Read the books.

This. In a world (for men at least) where 'magic' is just 'this thing lasts longer, that thing is curious, this thing is in touch with nature, that's a monstrous beast', some otherwise normal looking old guy making simple light shine out of his staff is super overt and powerful seeming. It doesn't need to be big magic missiles of +3 arcane damage, the magic is that anything is happening at all

"mith" means grey or silver, as in "mithril" the metal

dumbass

Because Sam is a simpleton. He can't into Middle Earth politics.

he's being retarded on purpose (lol)

don't take the bait

I shows how resilient Sam is to change. He's still the same little halfling from the shire, even after all the shit he goes through. He isn't influenced by the elves or Gollum or even the Ring. He just stays good ol' Sam.

>Strider isn't derogatory
it's basically "longshanks". The hobbits and manlets of Breeland make fun of his physique

>race of manlets call a tall, strong alpha male Chad a lanklet

Holy shit was Tolkein /our guy/?

Gondorians are elf weebs, so they prefer to use elven names.

Gandalf has lots of names. I like how they included them in the films without some stupid exposition for it. He was called a different name from different regions and that just shows the audience he has been traveling middle earth giving council for a long long time.

no, tolkien would rightly hate this place and all the people on it.

to be fair he is pretty scruffy looking in the books

>yfw you read the appendix and Tolkien tells you that lotr is a "translation" from Westron into english, so Frodo Baggins is actually "Maura Labingi" Sam Gamgee is Banazîr Galbasi, Rivendell was named "Karningul" etc.