ITT: Times the movie was better than the book

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2hSK3ETc7YI.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm waiting.

But seriously 2001.

That's more like fan fiction.

Fight club.

I find the book to be just slightly better than the movie. Which isn't to say the movie isn't great. It's just that the book goes a little deeper on the details and backstories. For example Carson Well's backstory.

The Shining

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Shawshank

LOTR trilogy. They are one step behind Moby Dick in the realm of ponderous books.

I know its not a direct adaptation but I think apocalypse now is way better than heart of darkness

But more detailed doesn't necessarily mean better. As a lover of McCarthy novels I don't say it easily but the movie for me is better because it doesn't go into unnecessary detail and opts for a more visceral experience

American Psycho

you didn't actually read it, did you?

The numbers from 11 through 15 are very important in this film. This is on purpose, and a theme of the film.

That fuckin' rat torture scene.

SPR

the book has a lot of unnecessary shit like soldiers talking on the boats, the whole retarded encounter with an 88 (the one that sniper guys tells the captain when they are going to assault that stupid nest in the movie)

I did read the book only after having watched and loved the movie first, so maybe it's just that.

yeah, no

>cop out 'it was all a dream' ending
>protagonist dies off screen in a non event
>typical 'villain survives' storyline, setting up for the inevitable sequel
>no soundtrack to add to the atmosphere of the film

No idea how it garnished so much praise

The Shining
Blade Runner

The movie was great and so faithful to the book in terms of tone and what happens that it's hard for me to pick one. Unlike The Road, which was nowhere near the same quality.

2001 was a novelization of the movie so it doesn't really count.

>SPR
>legitimately too stupid and lazy to type out "Saving Private Ryan"
Fucking goddamn it this made me fly into an autistic fit of rage. I hope you die of AIDS, you retarded faggot.

You were THIS close dude, almost fucking got me.

>garnished

Learn to English shitlord.

One of the best parts of the book thats not in the movie is Welles going to the Aztec theater after the shootout in Mexico between Moss, Chigurh, and in the book, a group of mexicans. Inside he finds the days old corpse of an old woman, shot thru the head. The shot that killed her is implied to be from Llewellyn.

Why did the wife call the coin flip in the book but not in the movie?

I just had sex with your mom so your wish may come true

>in Mexico
It was in Eagle Pass on the American side of the border. But yeah, I felt they should've included that in the movie. Especially the part where Welles shows Llewellyn the pictures of the dead lady.

The Crow

The comic is just a jumbled mess of revenge fantasy and the main character cutting himself with little story. The movie managed to turn that into a coherent narrative that's still one of the best capeshit movies.

dude 10/10 I started to get legitimately angry while reading

>moby dick
>ponderous
the biggest lit pleb filter.

weren't the book and movie done around the same time as a collaborative project?

Rififi

5% of the book was Bateman teeling the reader what everyone was wearing every single time he saw a character, not even for the first time. I get that it's from his POV and it adds to the insanity, but it was dfcking annoying. Everything they cut from the movie was great tho.
>Bateman going to the Bono concert
>Bateman being a beta in the elevator with Tom fucking Cruz
>Bateman being a beta to his college sweetheart and shortly torturing her after getting frustrated with her drowning in her own blood
>Bateman getting robbed in the taxi and accidently telling the driver to not take his watch because it's expensive
>those chapters dedicated to the musicians
>those chapters that start media rez or end abruptly because Bateman is a loony
>that stream of conciseness with Bateman counting all the homeless people throughout the book.

It's p-good, just with bullshit attire descriptions. Movie is still better imo.

Blade Runner definitely isn't better than the book.
It doesn't even try to be as versatile, it doesn't have as cohesive a message, and a few of the characters, especially Rachael, are just one note as fuck in the movie.

And Harrison Ford in the movie being constantly bewildered by everything is nowhere near as fun as Deckard in the book being more of a sarcastic pessimist.

The book has a better ending, too.

Glad Kubrick cut out Gus's long and boring story about rats

I think it's based on an early script they both came up with, and then the author added some stuff to it.

all those things could true and the movie would still be better simply because it is better made

Yeah. It's debatable which was started or finished first. How could there be a novelization of the screenplay when they changed Saturn to Jupiter in the movie because they couldn't afford to make the rings of Saturn?

That's a terrible argument when comparing a book to a movie.
To say "it's better made" I assume you mean the film is a visual masterpiece, but that's essentially irrelevant when comparing to a medium in which imagery works in a completely different way.

You wouldn't compare the sound design in a film to that of album of 13 songs. That's silly.

You compare it in the ways it's possible to compare it, the story, the characters, etc.

I once read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep all the way through in one sitting of like 3 and half hours. If I had the choice between doing that again or refreshing my memory on which version of Blade Runner is the "good" one, and then watching that and knowing that this story has been told better in a different medium, I'd rather read the book again.

The only thing the movie has is Roy's monologue, and I can just watch that on youtube with the added benefit of not having to see Harrison Ford make that stupid facial expression he has through 80% of the movie.

And the book has that cool switcheroo with the office and the replicants that the movie doesn't have, unless you're watching any of the versions where Deckard was meant to be a replicant the whole time, but even then it's not anywhere near as shocking a revelation.

The totality of the pacing/visuals/sound/acting/etc in Blade Runner is superior to how well written Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is (which I didn't even really like). I think the movie was better for leaving out all of the stuff it did.

It was better for abandoning the better story and characters and focusing only on set design?
Okay then.

No, it was better for leaving out the worst parts of the book, like the religious stuff, that fake police station, his wife, all of the stuff about the fake animals, etc.

Even the Ledger version qualifies.

American Psycho

the book was super boring with pages and pages and pages of minutia of gay 80s fashion shit and really gross murder and no humor

the movie was funny and didn't bore the way the book did

The Godfather
Jaws
Die Hard

The point of the viscerally described gore and equally detailed descriptions for clothing, food, and high end electronics is that by the end of the book they both become equally monotonous.

At first the death and torture scenes are very disturbing to read, but by the end they become as much of a bore as entire chapters about Whitney Houston, you as the reader become as desensitized to everything at almost the same pace Patrick does in the book.

And at the end it means nothing

It's also worth pointing out that the book was written as a criticism of Reagan-era capitalism and business. The world Patrick inhabits is driven by greed and consumerism, so his describing his taste in music, clothing, and other consumption habits are a clear part of his motivation for inhabiting that world. Being nothing but a consumer is what has dehumanized him and made him feel the need to kill in the first place. That's why his excuse for being a massive asshole to his fiance is that he wants to fit in.

>no mention of the chapter where bateman and his friends are arguing on the phone for hours about what restaurant they should go to which leads to bateman attempting to cancel several non-existent reservations and sending his gf / secretary to the same restaurant

Good posts

Relevant video
youtube.com/watch?v=2hSK3ETc7YI.

debate me

>Starship troopers
>DUNE
>Children of the Corn
>Misery
>The Great Gatsby
>The Wizard of Oz
>Alice in Wonderland
>The Shawshank redemption
>Twilight no Im not memeing

Also every character in the book has aids

>AIDS
>legitimately too stupid and lazy to type out " acquired immune deficiency syndrome"
Fucking goddamn it this made me fly into an autistic fit of rage.

agreed except for dune.

Starship troopers is as good as the novel in a totally different way but

>Dune

What the fuck, user