The great debate

The great debate.

Where do you stand?

South Park.

They're both trash that have overstayed their welcome.

Simpons are unbeaten from season 1 to 9. South park is for edgy jr high school early seasons and edgy teens later seasons.

the Simpsons, but thats for its significance i guess, if it was down to which is funniest it would be outh park. Just the simpsons is overall a better show

THIS!

The Simpsons in s8, South Park in s3.

South Park now but early seasons for both shows I can't tell.

I'm willing to bet whether South Park is more successful in terms of productions.

South Park is a better show. South Park makes the memes, Simpsons references memes and relies on celebrity cameos, etc.

This user was close.
Early Simpsons btfo South Park in every way so much so that South Park had an entire episode dedicated to
>SIMPSONS DID IT SIMPSONS DID IT
But South Park in it's entirety hasn't sunk to the level The Simpsons has.

King of the Hill.

If you were to compare the absolute summit of each where would you stand?
Let's say best 10 episodes overall

South park then.

Bobs Burgers

haven't seen either in fucking years, and I don't really see the point of comparing these two shows specifically

but overall I'd say it's an easy win for The Simpsons.

I keep forgetting The Simpsons is still producing new episodes, so I'm gonna have to go with South Park.

Bob's Burgers

Simpsons purely because of seasons 2 - 9. Those seasons are better than pretty anything from any medium.

Both have long outstayed their welcome but South Park new episodes are at least watchable which is something I can't say for the Simpsons.

south park
nothing beats 2001-2004 south park (s5-s8)
nothing

and south park's decline has been miniscule compared to the simpsons. but simpsons s3-s7 is better than the majority of south park, so it's still a close decision

Modern Simpsons is stale
Modern south park is somehow more entertaining but still shit

Everyone talks about how amazing Simpsons used to be but I don't get it.

I've literally never laughed at the Simpsons. Loved Futurama but I just don't get the hype behind the Simpsons. I guess it was culturally influential but what actually makes it so great?..

This isn't even a debate. South Park is garbage for people who live on Reddit and Simpsons is the best show ever written.

>Watching cartoons

South Park has more good seasons than The Simpsons but The Simpsons in its prime is better than South Park in its prime.

South park got good after the movie, in its first seasons was only edgy experimental humor.
The simpson were great from s2-s10, but as a whole, including the new seasons, they can't stand a chance.
South park

How old? Are you?

PUFFY
U
F
F
Y

Now listen here! You didn't give me enough got dang choices, so I think this whole conversation is asinine.

Correct

Was.

>mah simpsons 2-9

Is nostalgia clouding people's brains

I've watched every episode of both shows
>aside from the new simpsons which is just unbearable shlock

Yes there were some good episodes
but out of 8 seasons there is only like 10 or so episode that really stand
Which would be considered awful for any non-animated show

South park has at least 4-5 episodes per season which are genuine good watches in both writing and story structure while the rest are still pretty decent

Most of the jokes for the simpsons is just a re-telling of what stood out in the news

I honestly have no love for the simpsons and I don't understand why anyone does

South Park
Simpsons is funny but it's more the type of funny where you have a slight smile instead of laughing really hard

there is something about the simpsons being yellow that just makes me laugh.
like what the fuck why are they yellow? lol
I think they are cheating laughs with that.

Simpsons season 2-10 is literal genius. South Park has never been better than pretty good. The latest seasons, while not as bad as new simpsons, is trash. They just look at the weeks headlines and make easy jokes.

both

Yes the talking berry and shitposting Jew are in the news

Can you explain why seasons 2-10 are genious?
Why do you and other people repeat this statement

What's so genius about it

If the Simpsons had stop at season 10 or 11, I'd say the Simpsons, but South Park, despite the rather absurd direction it's been going in lately, has had a greater consistency of quality throughout its life. Less than half the of Simpsons is quality.

South Park wins.

South Park because its funnier.

First post best post

I'd like an explanation too. I find Cartman's voice and antics so funny. It's a SP win for me

Simpsons lost its edge after season 10ish. Or maybe is a Cred Forums meme now that last ten years simpson is patrician, i dont know. I can't keep up with Cred Forums meme these days.

classic simpsons >

current south park >

Not him but during those early years of South park they really went all out to satire and ridicule society/religion/pop culture.

They still do, but back when it was just a shitty animated show using craft paper it was a lot of fun to experience week to week. Now they're so big I think everyone just accepts getting ridiculed by SP as a bit of an honor, back then a lot of institutions fucking hated them for it.

Simpsons used to make pop culture. Now it only references it. South Park is the one making pop cuture now.

You nailed south park. Simpsons I think is good until s10, but I think it started showing cracks then. But it's been a while.

It's pretty simple. Simpsons is genius due to the intelligence and humor of its jokes. It was also much much funnier than south park which can be funny but it's a dumb chuckle funny.

Re-read the post user

I'm asking why people believe Simpson's 2-10 is considered genius

Am i the only one that never found South Park funny? I used to like it in my early teens because they cursed and did toilet humor but now it's just preachy "deep" meaningful stories that are usually just spoonfed to you by Stan.

I did find the Lorde episode pretty funny though

Most people don't give a fuck about south park anymore. They'd be surprised it hasn't been canceled yet.

What intelligence?

South park has a 20 season old plot where every episode is considered Canon and each season has to take that into account, and despite south park characters aging at a very minimal pace they still grow as characters and change themselves over time

Simpson's to me is more like a skit show where you place the same dumb characters into a new setting

Then you do it again the next week and the week after that and so on

They never change
It's an eternal hell

No, you personally don't give a fuck about south park
The rest of the world still does, hell they even have one of the most hyped up video games coming out

Why are you lying user?

firstly there is an insane amount of jokes packed in, more than any other show. 30 Rock comes close. It goes from really obvious slapstick humor to very subtle visual gags and references. It's so dense as a poet would say. Now jokes are fewer and farther in between and are much more obvious.

second it looked at almost every aspect of society, family life and thensome. There is a big reason why simpsons did it became a meme, it touched nearly everything while at the same time remaining contained and building a universe that didn't entirely contradict itself.

>The latest seasons ... just look at the weeks headlines and make easy jokes.
>implying this isn't what sp has always done
>implying you aren't just not aware of it because the early seasons are from 10+ years ago and by now you miss those recent-event-references
>implying south park hasn't been known since the very beginning for getting each ep done in a week and thus being able to poke fun at recent events
kill yourself

>Am I the only one that never found South Park funny
>I did find the Lorde episode pretty funny
>never found South Park funny
>never
>I did find the Lorde episode pretty funny

>one episode out of seasons of shit that I just found unfunny
friend used to be leave CC on and this show would be on, it was pretty meh

South Park doesn't have a huge fanbase, it's small but quite devout. If you look at ratings, for the past 10 years there's been little fluctuation. There was this fuckhueg hype during the first couple of seasons and the movies, and everyone except the core fanbase lost touch after that. Indeed many people don't even know SP is still on, but it doesn't mean that there isn't enough of a fanbase to sustain it.

Kind of the hill is genius on the other side of the spectrum. It's comedy is much much slower but also much more grounded in reality and human. I think i laugh more at king of the hill than any other show.

Maybe it's just me then

I've never found the jokes from Simpson's to be either funny or "really made you think huh"

Which is odd since I love Larry David which has the same type of humor

Stick of truth sold bananas though

It's been considered one of the top 20 rpgs of all time

The fanbase has to be a couple of million for a game that relies so hard on the show itself to sell that well

Both are shit but at least South Park isn't pandering to SJWs and Apple.

so well they have a new one coming out as well

That's a good point. Surprising, desu, prolly has to do with an appeal around the world even though SP isn't "officially" available everywhere.

>By the third season (1999), the series' ratings began to decrease.[144] The third-season premiere episode drew 3.4 million viewers, a dramatic drop from the 5.5 million of the previous season's premiere.[142] Stone and Parker attributed this drop in the show's ratings to the media hype that surrounded the show in the previous year, adding that the third season ratings reflected the show's "true" fan base.[142] The show's ratings dropped further in its fourth season (2000), with episodes averaging just above 1.5 million viewers. The ratings eventually increased, and seasons five through nine consistently averaged about 3 million viewers per episode.[142] Though its viewership is lower than it was at the height of its popularity in its earliest seasons, South Park remains one of the highest-rated series on Comedy Central.[145] The season 14 (2010) premiere gained 3.7 million viewers, the show's highest-rated season premiere since 1998.[146]

>"really made you think huh"

probably because earlier simpsons didn't soapbox, at least until later seasons The messages were there, but it didn't try to make grand points like south park. That isn't to say it wasn't obvious what they were saying, but they didn't present themselves as having an agenda or having the say so or having a good idea. More, presenting caricatures of american institutions and values, usually with a bullish half assed nature to them.

Both are terrible but at least The Simpsons isn't up its own asshole.

South Park isn't a zombie. People might think it used to be better or not, but the creators are still clearly invested. I don't believe anyone working on the Simpsons sees it as anything more than a steady paycheck.

> Ratings

Everyone I know who watches South Park either torrents or streams it. Ratings mean shit.

Yeah, the highs of South Park hit much higher than the Simpsons.

Based

My bad.

Simpsons was incredibly well written and really hit the perfect fusion of drama, comedy and story in each episode.

There wasn't as much exposure to cartoons aimed at family/adults back then.

early simpsons > early south park >>>>>>>>>>>>POWER GAP OF THE GODS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New (shit) South Park > New (shit) Simpsons

>South park has a 20 season old plot where every episode is considered Canon and each season has to take that into account
No.
>and despite south park characters aging at a very minimal pace they still grow as characters and change themselves over time
No, they just became flanderized as fuck since they're only a tool to deliver stale jokes now rather than actual engaging characters.

Good Simpsons episodes > Good South Park episodes >> Bad South Park episodes >>>>>>>>> Bad Simpsons episodes

Simpsons had a higher peak, SP has a greater overall average quality since the decline has been much slower

What are some peak Simpsons episodes to watch?

classic simpsons will always be better

south park is largely shock value. clever and entertaining, but still essentially just shock value, without which it wouldn't exist. And thats fine when I want shock value and a few laughs

I don't watch Simpsons for shock value. I watch it for legit comedy

I dont watch south park since years... Still the simpsons become shit 18 years ago so... South Park without doubt.

Simpsons started amazing but turned to absolute shit.

South Park started as absolute shit but has become amazing.

It's a wash

/thread
even the worst south park episodes are mildly entertaining, but the worse simpsons episodes are unbearably painful. I think it's due to south park always being written by the same 2 guys.

South Park has been far more consistent because of Trey and Parker

That being said, I think the Simpson's humour has aged a lot better when you go back to their golden age, while a lot of older South Park humour is stale now

flanderization literally comes from the Simpsons and is a reference to what happened to Ned Flander's character

The Simpsons pre season 10 is the greatest animated series ever made. It's almost beautiful in how simple yet powerful the characters and their lives are.

Every character is brilliant and unique, the art style and animation can be watched for hours. It's super comfy and timeless.

South park is only enjoyable for 12 year olds who get super excited when they hear naughty words like "fuck" and "asshole"

The characters are all annoying and have very irritating voices. The art style is very bad, and can only be watched for a few seconds, if at all.

Adult south park fans are the sort of mentally stunted imbeciles that quip borat quotes in public, without any shame or remorse.

I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that the same thing happened to SP's characters.

south park is more funner

spot on