Phantasm (1979)

>Phantasm (1979)

>Dune (1984)

Why was such a blatant ripoff allowed, Cred Forums? It's literally the Paul's hand in a box scene.

>Phantasm
I watched this last night and it's honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's not ironically good, it's not facetiously decent, it's not hyper-realistically pseudo-mediocre... it's just fucking bad.

It even has a creepy grandmother doing it, can't find a screenshot of her in the shot though.

The first one or the new one? Or both?

Have you seen the entire series?

I saw the restored version of the first. And no, I haven't seen the series.

its the other way around, numb nuts.
Dune was written in the 1960s.

I'm watching it right now and it's very dreamlike, it's quite unusual compared to modern horror movies.

It's not a ripoff, it's an homage to the original book, that was written like 20 yrs before.

>No. The original cut of Phantasm ran about three hours long. It was a mix of many genres featuring a lot of character development, plenty of subplots and The Tall Man did not appear until half and hour into the movie, revealing it as a Horror film.

>Realizing that the story needed a faster pace and a more standard duration for theatrical exhibition, Don Coscarelli re-edited the film and cut it down to a final lenght of less than 90 minutes. In the process, almost every character had scenes cut (Mike, Jody, Reggie, The Tall Man, the fortune teller and her granddaughter, Sally and Suzy... etc.) and many subplots were re-worked or entirely removed. This is why the movie has such a disjointed structure with plenty of loose ends, giving it a unique dream-like feel that has become a hallmark of it.

So this is why, I just looked it up.

Goddamn I want the 3 hour cut now.

So I'm watching the second one, and it's pretty much the same in that regard, I really like it.

Can someone recommend some other (preferably horror) movies like that?

Some Argento stuff comes to mind, but nothing more recent.

>tfw Sam Raimi

You're full of shit. Phantasm is the finest horror franchise of the 80s.

The extended cut is far superior to the theatrical version, find it on piratebay, it's a fanedit. Restores some of the lost footage, most of which I have no idea why they cut it. Not 3 hours sadly.

This guy gets it.

I think people just don't like how bizarre it is instead of relying on more standard tropes.

I mean, Jawa-like dwarves instead of normal zombies? Shiny flying sci fi balls with brains inside? If you expect a general "creepy mortician" thing, you might just say "what the fuck is this shit" and not bother.

You know what else it reminds me of? Schizophrenic delusions. Although those do tend to be dream-like too, maybe the psychological effect is the same, I'm not exactly an expert.

But you know what I'm talking about, gangster Frankenstein eyesight television and such, you can see the general concepts behind it but it's always unpredictably twisted somehow.

source on extended cut pls.

ifdb.fanedit.org/phantasm-extended-cut

thanks, but
a-are you on windows 98?? Or is that just a filter for 10/7?

Classic look on 7. I really don't like the normal design of 7 or 10 or Vista etc.

This shit is for diehard fans only but as such, wow, I love it.

Phantasm is shit
Bald guy with the ponytail is shit
Kid was shit
Twist was shit
Barrel attack was shit
Hobo planet was shit
Tall man was shi
Twin Peaks corridor was shit

Movie was A HUGE FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

Metal ball as ok tho

aw shucks, you sure showed us, boy

Well damn I'm at Phantasm 4 now, and it's shit.

Will V redeem the series?

Couldn't tell you, I liked 4. V is a film for fans, aimed at making you tear up for nostalgic reasons with some legitimate psychological horror and drama thrown in. If you liked the others chances are you'll like it, it's silly low budget camp with a dreamlike atmosphere, also bad cgi but that's what low budget camp means now so I wouldn't hold it against it. There`s certainly more going on than in 4, if I remember correctly. Nothing will compare to the first one.

Maybe my attention span just isn't enough for 4 movies in a row, first 3 seemed a lot better, but I can't tell you shit about what happened in 4 anymore.

4 is weird, if I remember correctly, Very different from the others. Slow and confusing, confined to very few spaces, kind of tedious and very very low-budget. If that is your impression, it is correct. Don't remember much storywise either, watched it years ago, it's about the tall man's history, right? I remember much of it taking place in the hearse.

Yeah, they go back to meet Jebediah Morningside, and half of the movie is spherebro talking to Mike on a beach. It also has 6 trillion flashbacks to the first three.

I'll have to rewatch all of them soon. I remember it as slow, delirious and quite comfy, but I have hardly any actual memory of what happens. Mind you, I was deep in the 80s horror shithole at that time and had seen some bad shit. Puppet Master: The Lagacy comes to mind, it really doesn't get any more wretched than that sequel-wise. That one actually is about ten minutes of original footage (footage of horribly written dialogue) padded to feauture film length with scenes from the previous movies. All things considered the Phanstasm series fared pretty well, comparing it to series like Puppet Master and even Nightmare, Halloween and Friday The 13th. At least it stayed consistent in tone, studio meddling was kept at a minimum and it felt like one continuous story, kind of. I'd watch any of the Phantasm sequels over any of the Hellraiser sequels, the depths to which some of these iconic series sunk are incredible.

I'll see it but I gotta admit it visually looks like complete shit.

they filmed most of it in 2014.

>over any of the Hellraiser sequels
Jesus Christ don't even remind me of those.

Dawn Cody is SO HOT.