Just marathoned this movie, what should I think of it?

Just marathoned this movie, what should I think of it?

Think of it as an art piece.

Pretentious dogshit

>what should I think?
I don't fucking know nigger, what DID you think?

It's literally the best movie ever made.

It's not pretentious, it's Kubrick's most straight forward film by far. Are you stupid?

A great film, not one of the best films ever though like many people say.

Pretentious dog shit film school students think is good because "DUDE SYLMBOLISM"

A bornig movie from a good book

t. capeshit fans

star wars is all about the same thing, impregnating the death star etc

cool visuals and concept but the ending was confusing as fuck.

You might wanna watch 50s Kubrick before you say that in public.

You should think that 2001:A Space Odyssey is quite simply the worst thing to happen to cinema ever. Its forced profundity has caused millions of people all over the world to force themselves to like what is quite simply nothing more than an exercise in style.

Kubrick has no idea what he is doing here. His film jumps around with little to no sense of unity. The great film makers of the world create a series of events that contain clarity of information, something Kubrick couldn't bet his life on.

What is the purpose of what is going on here? Is there any coherent message? I have heard suggestions that it is Kubrick's message about the future of humanity, but what future is that? Does Kubrick even know?

This is Transformers for the art house crowd. Pure style over substance. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.

Usually girls don't explode when you impregnate them, though.

how do you marathon a single movie? do you normally watch a movie in multiple sittings?

It's a meme you dip

>Pure style over substance
Everyone who uses this phrase unironically is a tool

so you're saying it's bad because everything isn't spelled out for you, ok

I smell pasta

So you're saying because you don't understand the movie, it's shit?

wheres the baby
why there so many soldiers stationed inside the death star

>Transformers has style

It's pure kino.

Anyone thinking otherwise is probably too stupid to understand it.

I mean it.

Be cause the death Star was a whore, that's why it blew up when Luke impregnated it, life as it knew it came to an end

beyond the black rainbow is style over substance

This.

This

my favorite movie is Warhol's Empire

This

you're missing the issue, that Lucas is impotent (hence why he has adopted kids)
so there is no baby
also why Anakin was a virgin birth in the prequels

its about the (artificial) evolution of human race
the ape man in the past get the gift of intelligent through the monolith and become humans, the humans reach the next stage of evolution through the monolith, the star child stage
I dont really see whats not clear about it

It was Batman v Superman of it's time.

It's about the evolution of mankind and the consequences of advancing too far. Every scene has a purpose. I don't really know why people call 2001 pretentious - is it because they think it's a pretty film with ambiguous storyline? Because that's pretty dumb.

They do that cause they're 20 year olds who grew up with action movies.

They can't handle a slow movie like 2001

There's not really that much symbolism apart from the last 20 minutes, which can actually be taken literally if you want.

well, gaspar noe understood that years before

this. The longest fucking stretch of the movie has us sitting through long shots that got their message and tone across fucking hours ago. We get it. Movement in space is like a ballad. Why do they only get longer from there on? It's just so incredbily monotonous.

They explode for me. I'm a big guy, though.

It doesn't have the same impact if it were shorter, though. Maybe you were bored, which I can understand, but I felt like it emphasised the importance of what was happening and gave time for this to sink in to the viewers mind, allow for understanding / interpretation

>ancestors of man are struggling against nature and are somewhat cowardly
>they compete with herbivores for rescources
>they lose their waterhole to a rival group
>monolith manipulates them
>one is the first to discover that the bone could be used to destroy
>they lose that fear
>show scenes of the Tapirs being killed
>they now eat meat
>they then kill one of their rivals and scare off the others leading to humanity using technology to further themselves

>jump to 2001
>humanity seems united
>some learn about alien life but hide it from others
>they touch the monolith but only get a painful ringing in their ears
>18 months later a ship is on it's way to Jupiter
>the ships AI has been programmed to be almost human in terms of how it acts
>it's programmed to make the mission its top priority
>it lacks empathy or any form of care for humans and begins to kill off the humans because it sees them as a threat to the mission
>one survives the attack and effectively makes the AI braindead after it pleads for its life to be spared
>man makes machine to be like him but it isn't him and also shows how we'll destroy that which we don't understand even though it was human error in not making the AI give a shit about keeping the humans alive

>last humans reaches Jupiter and the monolith there brings him to some dimension
>he goes through various stages in age until becoming a baby in a womb of sorts
>it returns to Earth as the next step for humanities evolution

I really went in it wanting this, and I got it. And the movie does it beautifully almost the whole time, but in the middle there are just a series of moments that just went for a few seconds too long to be of any value to me. Sometimes it shoots for what you're saying and I start to let it soak in, and then it overextends and I get irritated. Sometimes even just a 2 or 3 second cut would have made a world of difference. Watching the Phantom Menace fan edits have shown me that. And I'm sure in several people's minds, they are picturing me craving edgar wright cuts in this film, but that simply isn't the case.

That close up shot of the dick cumming was highly unnecessary.

That's fair enough, I understand what you're saying. I'd be interested to see your suggestions put to work. It's hard to do when some people react quicker than others, too. I've seen a few things recently that overstay their welcome in too many scenes (especially comedies which is a shit comparison but whatever) and would benefit from the same

Just admit you liked it you closeted fucking homosexual.

Yeah I'd be interested myself if there's a very conservative fan edit out there. Certainly nothing touched in the beginning.

I quite liked it.

These

It's a meme movie. The only redeeming aspect of this movie is how you can make a YouTube video about it being cryptically explaining that the moon landing was a hoax and the Illuminati indoctrinating people into New Age occultism

>meme movie
Unironically put a shotgun in yout mouth
Fucking cancerous shit, people like you are the reason this board is complete shit

>yfw you notice the little girl's shit acting in the vidphone scene

What did Kubrick mean by that? Had to be intentional that he kept the take, right?

Okey, gonna bite. She was her daughter.

>her

Memeing aside, that would explain it. Had no idea.