Are there any movies that actually scared you? (as an adult)

Are there any movies that actually scared you? (as an adult)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pyWuHv2-Abk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rosemary's baby
kill list

Kill list seems p cool

No

Definitely not that one. It's just a little girl that gets possessed, throws up and swears a bit.

horror movies about aliens can still scare me, even if they're kinda cheesy. Maybe because the possibility exists so it seems more tangible and real

Both The Fourth Kind and Dark Skies creeped me out a bit

sleepaway camp.

i hate traps.

"It follows".
That fucking movie.

I found that picture to be somewhat unsettling.

lol

>tfw they literally grabbed a drunk bum off the streets, undressed him and then put a mask on him

zodiac

Exorcist still gets me.

Same here, the flash of Pazuzu's face as she's walking through her kitchen never fails to shake me up

The Thing still creeps me the fuck out

The Shining

Sadly, no.
Guess I'm too jaded or something, but the only thing that kind of gets to me is a really good horror vidya.

The Exorcist is to this day the only movie that scared me. Watched The Conjuring 2 last night, it wasn't bad but I didn't get the hype, it's just a modern horror movie like all the others.

It helps if you believe in demons posession and God. Actually, for a movie to really scare depends almost entirely on your beliefs.

The fucking Grudge and Ju-on movies. That fucking ghost bitch is way too scary, I don't know what it is about her.

only ones in recent memory i can think of are Conjuring and Paranormal Activity. Conjuring mostly because of the atmosphere was really well done, and PA because the first one was just fucking insane with the progressing nights and feeling of something about to go down

Noroi had me pretty spooked.
I dunno if it was the story necessarily but some of the imagery in that movie really stuck with me, like the dude catching pidgeons and eating them.
Aside from that the only movie that truly scared me in general is the TCM 1974.
I haven't seen it in years so I'm not sure if I was a legal adult the last time I watched it but, the dinner scene is burned into my retinas forever.

Horror films haven't scared me since I was 8, until I watched this one.

Its basically twin peak's plot in documentary form, following the dead girl's grieving family. Their son is a photographer who starts noticing her ghost in his photographs, and the family starts digging into their dead daughter's private life.

Really great movie.

Inland Empire
The House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Lake Mungo

>family starts digging into their dead daughter's private life
she was fucking with the neighbors family

I watched Noroi an hour ago and was extremely disappointed about it. I keep hearing people say it's the scariest movie ever made while claiming to be huge jdaded horror movie buffs, but that movie did nothing for me. The acting ranged from bad to mediocre, the found footage shit was unrealistically filmed (especially the ending) and it had way too much unnecessary shit that was just boring to sit through. Mind you, I wasn't expecting a jumpscare bonanza, but not even the atmosphere (or lack thereof) got to me. The only spooky part about it was the forest to be honest.

Exorcist III is freakier than the first film.

thanks for suggestion user, im gonna watch it right now. am home alone so i hope its not too scary

I dunno what to tell you. I went into it raw a few years ago and have only enjoyed it more on subsequent rewatches. I don't think it's the best horror movie ever made but it did legitimately frighten me.
If you tell me what kind of movies you like I can maybe recommend you something.

I prefer horror movies that slowly build up tension and makes you uncomfortable in your seat. Jump scares are not my cup of tea but I don't mind them if they are done tastefully.
Some of my favorite horror movies are The Thing, TCM, Session 9, A Tale of Two Sisters and The Shining. Not a very original list, but they are quality movies in my opinion.

The Hunt

Ernest Scared Stupid

the only movie i can remember freaking me out was the mothman prophecies. the atmosphere and sound design of that sound is really fucking freaky.

i think it's one of the most underrated horror movies out there. it got kind of shit on by critics.

yeah I was going to say Kill List, the last 30 minutes scared the shit out of me

The Canal is a fairly recent one that creeped me pretty good.

That late Warren's movie scarred the shit out of me.

As a man who has worked part time at a kindergarten, I know this feel.

All those suspicious looks in the back of your neck every single day...

Not to sound like a fedora wearing faggot, but religious horror is the only stuff that creeps me out

Honestly I didn't even finish this movie, I had to stop watching after the flamethrower scene.

how did you feel about the witch?

NICE TRY SATAN

Pretentious but still a bit creepy. Wouldn't watch it again but I didn't regret watching it

>666

Fuck off, Black Philip.

Yeah it did have that pretentious feel

Although growing up in a largely Christian background shit like that still creeps the fuck out of me, felt very unique as far as religious horrors go

>kill list
That movie is shit tho

I grew up in a Christian household too so that's probably why it creeped me out and why religious horror still creeps me out.

The Descent is pretty much the only one.

Also, if you guys are gonna watch The Exorcist again, make sure you get the theatrical cut. It's the real director's cut.

Not really scared I don't think but I found [REC] pretty disturbing. I'm pretty sad they jumped the shark after 2. I need to watch the Exorcist again but I didn't find it that scary when I first watched it.

And again with the Babadook not really scary per se but just really really disturbing and uncomfortable.

Kill List is good but I didn't really find it that scary.

[REC] was great, one of the few found footage movies that I enjoyed

This

why is that? the extended cut is called the directors cut on the blu ray

Because it's a really sloppy edit that the director agreed to after 30 years as a favor to the original author of the books. The theatrical cut was Friedkin's cut and it's a masterpiece. The "director's cut" is inferior in pacing and they added weird glimpses of pazuzu and shit.

Well since I'm not entirely sure how familiar you are with horror films I'm assuming you've probably seen a lot of the commonly recommended stuff. You might not like all of them but these are a few I'd suggest.

The Orphanage (2007)
Maniac (1980)
The Wailing (2016)
Near Dark (1987)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Cure (1997)
Inferno (1980)
Let The Right One In (2008)
Shady (2012)
Videodrome (1983)
The Lords Of Salem (2013)
Repulsion (1965)

The Descent got me too, I've seen it too many times now though.

The Tunnel got me pretty good as well

Nobody has mentioned Jacob's Ladder? It's my favorite horror movie ever, perfectly captures the feeling of a nightmare. Stuff seems normal, but is just a bit off, and then becomes full on horrifying.

That scene when Army Dog rapes the Iraqi girl was fucked

No movie has legit scared me since the original blair witch project, since I was a teen idiot and bought into the marketing. Nothing gets me these days except for cheap jump scares, even then it just pisses me off instead of scares.

>but the only thing that kind of gets to me is a really good horror vidya.

this

The only scene that scared me in that movie was the one where the demon turned into the priest's mother.

good thread

Last one I enjoyed was As Above So Below. The Borderlands was pretty good too.

I don't get it. Why did the first guy that jumped out the window not cure her?

The only time I can recall being truly terrified by something as an adult was playing Alien Isolation

>As Above So Below

Yea that one is pretty entertaining, i feel like watching it now.

The Descent (well, I was 17...)
Martyrs (20)

this, though it's not so much scary as a disturbing look at mental illness. The ending wrecked it a bit though

The only thing that has ever scared me as an adult is Junji Ito's The Town Without Streets.

Highly recommend that to everyone.

I wouldn't call it fear but Irreversible gave me a motherfucker of an uneasy feeling the whole way through

>The Borderlands

Fuck yeah, the last 30 min or so I could barely look at the screen

Saw it in college as a part of my Film and Literature course.

I wanted to scream like a bitch at the first transformation scene.

Why do horror films receive such pannings from critics?

youtube.com/watch?v=pyWuHv2-Abk

Train To Busan

Most horror movies, I spook pretty easily

Lot of horror can make me feel unsettled, but actually scared? don't think thats happened since watching The Ring when I was 10.

It Follows

The Invitation

The VVitch

Possession (1981)

Jacob's Ladder

Blair Witch Project (the original)

this

I'm a massive pussy

>tfw love horror films, games, novels, and everything to do with horror
>tfw not scared by anything

>Jacob's Ladder
Was this scary when it was out?
I just finished this movie 20 minutes ago. First time ever watching it.

The hype of how scary this movie was.
All gone.

I kept thinking, twenty minutes left, 10 minutes left, 5 minutes left, where is the horror?
Yeah, it's a sad movie, but where is the horror? You could say the situation is horror itself, but this is not what I was expecting.

Holy shit, get the fuck off this board.

This is a bit of an oversimplified interpretation of the ending.

Like many in this thread it's hard for most horror movies to actually get to me but if it's based on true events then that shit can really get under my skin (and I'm not talking about "Based on a true story." bs when they're just lying).

I watched Men Behind the Sun (1988) a few years ago, never again.

Paranormal Activity is a great horror flick though. Fuckit for making me post, but so is part 2 and part 3

Just stop.

Paranormal activity