Why did the honorable northerners ever trust the family of torturers? Is this explained in the books?

Why did the honorable northerners ever trust the family of torturers? Is this explained in the books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PDdKmx0PW7s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Torture doesn't equate to dishonor.
Bolton was loyal until he wasn't.

That, and the Boltons hadn't been flaying people for roughly a thousand years by the time of GoT. They'd submitted to the Starks and while often on unfriendly terms, they where powerful and loyal.
Even Roose followed Ned into Roberts rebellion, he just smelled Robs weakness and took the opportunity to take the north for his own.

Northerners aren't that honourable, The Starks just have a recent Arryn influence.

Because the Boltons masterfully tread the line between "crazy psychopath" and "esteemed ruler".

When you live under Bolton rule, pay your taxes and don't start shit, you can expect order, protection from wildlings and criminals, and general stability. Follow the rules and don't give the Boltons cause to turn their eye on you, and you're about as set as anybody could be in Westeros.

Boltons are basically the other side of the coin when it comes to living somewhere as crappy as the North. The Starks survive through honor, family, and loyalty, fostering respect among their allies and enemies (which has turned the latter into the former more than once). The Boltons survive through cunning and fostering a reputation so horrible that nobody would ever defy them.

Bolton was loyal. He put up with so many bullshits from incompetent Starks

First one can't into politics, and second one thought with his dick.

confirmed never read the books. Stannis went around collecting northerners because of their desire to fuck up Boltons, just because of what they did to the starks

how is it that not just one culture, but dozens.. remained essentially static for a thousand years? no new technology? even in the middle ages we had progress, from scribes to printing presses.

what's holding them back? really long winters?

i know we should be discussing this in /lit/, but /lit/ has been taken over by philosophags and Zizek shitposters.

>really long winters?

Conceivably, when you spend all your time preparing for what could be a decade of inhospitable weather, you'd have little time to advance.

But honestly that's a pretty poor explanation. I think it's something you kinda just have to ignore.

Everyone hates Boltons and Freys, the Red Wedding was crossing every line, doesn't mean that northerners are all that honourable. Considering that they don't follow the same chivalric traditions that Southerners do, their idea of honour is pretty different than Barristan's idea.

certain materials and elements aren't available in the GoT universe.

youtube.com/watch?v=PDdKmx0PW7s

>their idea of honour is pretty different than Barristan's idea.

Maybe, but in the words of John, it's "their own sort of honor".

Also reminder that Southrons are shit-tier bitches with shit-tier "gods"

Boltons are the second biggest house in the north, they can't afford to not have them on side and didn't expect them to rebel since everybody else loves the Starks

>what's holding them back?
Everyone's more of a cunt in Got

>long and erratic harsh winters constantly having society in a state of flux
>magic and dragons that stop people questioning "why" something happens
>the citadel has domination of all knowledge and is very narrow minded when it comes to what should be studied
>Targaryen rulers who were often unstable and causing civil war

Because it's a fantasy series where castles are made out of perfectly cut stone that leave NO GAPS

Kek. So...

Are you asking how Roose managed to control the North after then Red Wedding? Because this is extensively explored in the books, whereas it's a minor subplot in the show. Essentially, he brings 2K Frey troops to Winterfell with him (based on his marriage to Walda Frey) and forces the other Northern lord to attend Ramsay's wedding to a fake Arya. No one with a good head on their shoulders trusts him but none of the lords are powerful enough to take him on and they can't all agree to ally because of historical rivalries.

I think it's that magic actually works.

In the real world, medieval alchemists evolved into early chemists because their endless search for the Philosopher's Stone led them to catalogue the properties of the world around them. Eventually interest in alchemy for its own sake died out and natural philosophy took its place.

Addendum: Imagine if the show properly adapted the Stannis v. Bolton plotline from Dance with Dragons. This would honestly be considered one of the best shows ever. Instead, we got Shireen burning...

the boltons will get their revenge when they are awoken from their graves by the one true night king

in books Boltons commanded support of like two minor houses and the rest capitulated but never really supported him

when Stannis started proving his worth most of the minor lords and some of the major ones started to support him, but Boltons themselves were a major house who because of prior planning had their army mostly intact compared to every other Northern house who's armies were spent after the Red Wedding and the war.

Boltons also had the backing of the Freys who are a pretty powerful house

>The Starks survive through honor, family, and loyalty, fostering respect among their allies and enemies (which has turned the latter into the former more than once). The Boltons survive through cunning and fostering a reputation so horrible that nobody would ever defy them.

Are there any historical equivalents to the Boltons?

Vlad Tepes comes to mind

This basically.

Roose Bolton is basically what happens when the historical Dracula and fictional Dracula are thrown in a blender.

people who support the boltons are as dumb as trump supporters. Literal cuck faggots.

you are filth

emo house.

>They tore my skin off, but damn if they don't make good policies!

Slaver's Bay is stagnant due to worshiping past glories and a slave economy that discourages innovation.

Everything in the Dothraki Sea is fair game to retarded horse rapists that think the ocean is poison water.

Valyria BLEW UP.

Yi Ti is a legitimately interesting place where industry and innovation supposedly continue.

The Free Cities are continuing to develop and in fact are known for their famous, curious inventions such as specialized looking glasses and mechanisms.

Westeros only entered the Iron Age about 2000 years ago with the Andals, and winters in Westeros are significantly more brutal than elsewhere.

>t. Autist who bought the World of Ice and Fire book that details the setting

>Read AWOIAF
>The Dance Of Dragons is far more interesting than what the novels are actually about

Oh, and the Free City of Qohor literally worships an elder god, it is detailed that Qohor is the only city left that can produce (rather than simply reshape) Valyrian Steel, and it was revealed Qohorik smiths do this through sacrificing children (Ahor Azai killing his wife with his sword may have been a mythical interpretation of creating Valyrian Steel.)

The Black Goat is a religion of peace

Dude, that book does an incredible job of making the world feel rich and large, I love it.

I personally thought the war between the Valyrian Freehold and the Rhoynar was fascinating, and the art they use for Valyrian architecture is like something out of a heavy metal album.

Braavos and some of the other free-cities (at least in the show IDK how they're described in the books, haven't read that much) look practically Renaissance tier (Oldtown too from what I've seen), definitely post-medieval. It's just that weaponary is basically the same medieval shit everywhere. Maybe everyone is just so obessed with Valyrian Steel swords and Dragonbone bows and shit that they think that's the pinacle of weaponary and can't be bothered inventing anything new.

I'm just wondering wtf is up with the "mysterious black stone" that shows up everywhere.

That image is fucking hilarious.

It's the remains of super advanced society before the nukes fell, also the crpyts of Winterfell are a fallout shelter
t. Preston Jacobs

Braavos is absolutely Renaissance-tier, they have rapiers and banking and gondolas and a thousand other things that scream "look at us! We're in the 15th century!" The same can be said of Pentos and Tyrosh, maybe Lys and Myr.

The weaponry is medieval because nobody has figured out what gunpowder is yet, this discovery may take a while since they've already got an explosive (wildfire) and no impetus to mix chemicals together Willy Nilly (gunpowder was from the search for an immortality elixir literally made by throwing shit together and see what happens.)

I find the Summer Isles amusing

>Always summer
>Beautiful landscape, flora and fauna
>Wars are highly organized and last only a single day; surviving losers are not executed and raping and pillaging never occurs
>Fucking is sacred and there are no taboos for it

Damn, this place sounds incredible, I think I should go live th...

>Populated by niggers

Dealbreaker.

Got some pages that reference the stone? I've got my book but I don't remember anything like what you're mentioning.

The oily stone that shows up at Oldtown, the Seastone Chair that was just there when the Ironborn arrived and the shit the 5 Forts and Asshai is made out of

>He doesn't want to hang out with mercantile feather niggers

It's mentioned in passing all over the place.

>The Seastone Chair on which Ironborn Kings sit is a nigh-indestructable black, oily rock shaped like a kraken that predates human settlement
>The Hightower of Oldtown was constructed around a pillar of oily, black rock that predated human settlement
>The Isle of Toads has a statue of a toad built out of oily black rock
>Yeen, the mysterious deserted city of Sothoryos, is built of oily black stone

It turns up everywhere but nobody's gotten a clue that something's up with it.

the summer isles probably run rampant with the GoT version of aids

speaking of which, i can't remember grrm writing about stds in the books. considering all the whores there's got to be a whole bunch of herpes and shit going on in that world

Aliens?

There've been a few mentioned. The Frey who got hung by Stoneheart at the end of Book 3 got the pox from some prostitute.

One prostitute is brought before Lord Tarly and accused of infecting some of his soldiers, so they wash her vaj out with lye.

>aliens leave a Monolith on Westeros
>Ironniggers turn it into a chair

It's Lovecraft, it's 100% Lovecraft, there is worship of no less than three elder gods, two of which are directly connected with the oily stone and one is literally named after a Nylarothep cult from a Lovecraft work (Church of Starry Wisdom.)

You even have the fish people in the frigid north who are apparently terrified of the water due to something exceedingly sinister living in it.

>so they wash her vaj out with lye

proof that lord tarly is the most based man in westeros

See , the oily stone has a strong connection to not just extraterrestrials, but Lovecraftian cosmology.

Nah, it was a chair before they got there.

flags should be made of the skin of the man on the left

If that's not just some fan art, it's a pretty god damn obvious Cthulhu reference

Friendly reminder there is a kingdom in the series which is protected by warrior-women who stud their nipples and pick only one out of every one hundred boys to be a cherished breeding stud, the rest get castrated and become farmers, merchants or scholars.

And to round it off, it's sill a patriarchy, so there's a chance it's being ruled pretty good

AWOIAF had some good fetish material

>The War of the Wombs and the intense discussions on who lost their virginity to who
>Everything about Nymeria

Unf.

I'm surprised no one has tried using wildfire (in tiny quantities probably) as a propellant or something. I mean, it's really fucking explosive it seems like a good idea.
Maybe its just a bit too volatile.

Ramsay is really an exception rather than the rule. Does roose ever torture people?

wasn't it Roose that had all the Ironniggers flayed at Motte Cailin?

This. It isn't unknown that they Boltons are fucking weird, Catlyn gets Theon's finger skin presented to her as a gift by Roose. She feels very obvious discomfort to it only minutes before the Red Wedding. They're a known "Well, don't trust those guys" house. It was obvious there wasn't total "trust", more of a "They're not as bad as the people we hate".

No

yeah it might have all been Ramsay then, Roose did rape his mom though

Roose

>Marches into ruined Winterfell
>Finds some homeless people there
>"Hey if you fix up the place I'll have mercy on you"
>Homeless fix up the place
>Roose hangs him
>"Lol I didn't flay you"

Considering Ramsay. that was mercy

I thought gunpowder was invented in china.

>Non-whites
>Inventing anything

It was invented in China because they were searching for an elixir of life. Then they just used it for noisemakers and fireworks.

I feel like the boltons are that weird cousin who you tolerate because theyre family even though they are strange and possibly autistic.

Thats actually very interesting. China was way into alchemy and shir before the Europeans huh?

Ned was the only "honorable" northman

What do they do with the skin after they flay someone? Seems like a waste to just throw it away.

Allegedly they have a room where they hang them up like tapestries