ITT: philosopher-filmmakers

ITT: philosopher-filmmakers

he looks literally retarded in that image, I don't know why that is always the first one that comes up when you search his name

It's the only confirmed image of him.

Poet
Psychoanalysis

It's the only image of him thta is high res because he does not let people take his photographs.

>tfw waiting for Voyage of TIme

What? Why the hell not? Is he insane?

He's a big guy.

No, he is just reserved. He's also 72.

Jodorowsky might be considered one, it depends on if you qualify his iconoclastic anti-everything vaguely-Marxist 60's art thing as philosophy. I think you need a constructive opinion to be considered philosophy.

Every film maker is a philospher m8. Every piece of art that is made, whether consciously or subsconsciously will push the filmmakers ideology.

You can't separate art from the culture it's made in.

Explain

>everything is art

Jodorowsky is a magician, like Alan Moore.

no

Is he the greatest Kinographer of our time?

>Snyder fans

Are you saying film isn't an art form? The fuck...

Not all films are art

Some films hold more artistic value, but all film is art.

*farts*
Was this art?

We're talking about film you fucking spastic

I just filmed myself farting. Was it art?

Yes, now show us that film

If you are a qtp2t who wants to let me put my pee pee inher poo poo, then yes.

When you grow up, you'll learn not to quibble over such petty abstract matters of perception. It's always a mistake to enter a debate about what constitutes art in the 21st century. It's a lose/lose.

Keeping it hidden is part of the art, you wouldn't understand.

yes, obvoiusly.

>Seeing is understanding. But it's still subliminal because cinema is really not about what we see, it's about what we don't see. Creativity is about a two-way experience where you experience something that plants a seed that it then deliver back in to whatever it is you're experiencing. And it becomes this circular movement that basically travels with you for the rest of your life. It defines you, forms you, inspires you, scares you. And in that world good and bad has no meaning, because in the world of this revolution everything is acceptable, everything is common, and there is something for everyone. That kind of world is where I come from because it's the future. And I've always felt I came from the future.

>I was struggle in the beginning because I was making movies more based on how I would like to be perceived. Thought I was born to be the greatest filmmaker of all time and I sadly realized I wasn't. But then I decided on something else, that with the films I made I was going to be the best at 'em. And I want to teach my children and all the other people around me that we spend so much time trying to fit in for all the wrong reasons. And in terms of the creativity, it's not about that. It's about the exact opposite. But that takes a lot of fucking guts. So it's all about this mathematical approach to forcing yourself to be as instinctually fearless as possible. And the only rule of the game is make sure it makes money. And you do that by basically approaching as I do, every movie as if it's gonna be the last movie. Because if you're gonna go out, you're gonna go out with a bang.

>Malick resorted to guerrilla style tactics where the actors were not told who they would be interacting with, requiring them to improvise entire scenes. Bale said that Malick referred to this as "torpedoing" and that as a result he mistook Teresa Palmer for a real stripper.[23][24] These methods came to a head when the cast and crew entered a Hollywood party without permission.[24] When the production was politely asked to leave, Malick looked the hosts and their security guards straight in the eye and whispered, "Your words are thoughtless, my thoughts are wordless" as a single gust of wind suddenly blew his hat up into the sky.[25][26][27]

>The reclusive filmmaker's experimental techniques were in full force while filming his latest project, now titled Knight of Cups. Actor Christian Bale weighed in on the unusual methods of filming that the critically acclaimed director employed.

>"Start of the day, I'd sometimes be given just two pages of dialogue. I call it dialogue now, but it had barely any lines for me. It was just filled with all these philosophical excerpts - Heidegger, Kierkegaard - all that good stuff. And then there'd be notes in Terry's handwriting - "Feel the Joy", Joy with a capital J, and "Cosmic rapture in the moment!". And then when I'd be in the middle of a 10 minute take, improvising all of my lines, I'd look up and see Terry shooting the squirrels. And they'd scurry all over his feet, into his hands, up his legs, all over him. Once a couple of sparrows landed on his hat and I said to him, "Terry, there are birds on your head!" and he replied, "I know, isn't it just a wonderful day?""