I just finished Breaking Bad and I loved it. Is pic related worth watching?

I just finished Breaking Bad and I loved it. Is pic related worth watching?

yes

no

if you are a nu male then yes

No, it's awful.

It's essentially Nothing Happens: The Series

maybe

No. It's boring and nothing happens besides petty squabbles between Saul and his brother. Uninteresting Mike storylines are thrown in to fill in the gaps.

this

>spin-offs
>being ever worth watching

Absolutely not. Remember how in The Office lots of people loved Creed scenes because he was great IN MODERATION. Imagine if they gave Creed his own show. He wouldn't be funny/likeable if you gave him more screen time. This is the result with Better Call Saul. Saul is a character without much substance, but he was likeable enough because you only saw him in moderation. Giving him his own show ruins his impact.

This one is actually better than the original show. There is no meme action that pander to plebs.

>loved breaking bad
You'll have it. This is actually a good show

>This one is actually better than the original show.
This is the worst case of contrarian cancer I've ever seen. Go fuck yourself.

Remember that this board enjoys Capeshit, Game of Thrones, and Star Wars. So take opinions with a grain of salt.

I liked it more than Breaking Bad, I'd say give it a go. Similar writing and directing style, a bit of overlap of characters of course. Hasn't really gone anywhere in two seasons though, is the downside.

It's great, though it doesn't really pick up until a few episodes in.

it never picks up though

It's great. Saul is an excellent character and Michael Mckean is great in it

Do you need it to be a comedy where Saul gets in wacky lawyer hijinxs: Don't wach it

Do you need it to be action packed with every episode having a huge twist or reveal: Don't watch it

It's a show about a deeply flawed man trying to be a good lawyer while fighting against his instincts to do whatever slimy tactics it takes to win the case. It is a character study, so don't expect "Breaking Bad" levels of excitement.

frasier

I watched season 1 and this is what I remember:

>Tuco was in an episode
>Saul lived with his retarded father or something
>Mike was a dick as usual
>Saul worked with old people in the second half
>His name wasn't Saul yet

So yeah, didn't leave a big impression.

Just like you never pick up a book?

It's good, but I'd wait until it's finished. Gilligan takes about 10 years to make 12 episodes.

Banks will die before it's finished.

Or you'll never pick up a girl?

It's about a old man who was one a good man for most of his life but family circumstance has forced him to turn a life of crime using his skills from his former profession, a cop - a profession where he was betrayed

He occasionally teams up with a youngish Lawyer who is morally flexible but has family issue of his own - He is often lonely as he lets down his girlfriend a lot and goes against his family's moral wishes

Basically, If Jessi was a lawyer and alter was a former Cop

>Comparing an afterthought character in a comedy to a character in a drama
Wow youre smart

They're both occasional minor characters who were both appreciated for being funny in small doses. It's unfortunate that I have to explain this to you, retard.

>It's essentially Nothing Happens: The Series
I'm sorry, I thought that title was already taken.

Creed is literally nothing of value in the office. Saul is definitely a main character in s4 and s5

This. The fucker doesn't even wear a cape. I mean, come on.

The board is not a hivemind. It has no opinion. And none of those three are even remotely close to universally liked around here. So what you're actually bitching about on Cred Forums is that not everybody has your tastes. Which is laughable and pathetic.

Basically yes, but it feels like a much different show.

Watch it if you have nothing else to watch.

If you're looking for the big dumb action thriller Wagner stuff that Breaking Bad turned into, probably not.

If a show about the art and its artist in the con artist is what you're interested in, you're in luck.

I don't know
Can you repeat the question?

it's pretty boring

It's actually better and more comfy. But don't expect some Breaking Bad 2.0 like the rest of these high functioning autists who still cuck themselves into watching the show anyway despite hating it.

>cuck themselves into watching the show

Oh, this word and its thousand meanings.

If you loved the prior half of BB, yes. If you like the latter, avoid it. I had no idea this board didn't like this show that much. I thought it was great and subtle. A nice change of pace from most of the shit I usually watch. Or maybe like others have said, its ADD capeshit fags expecting something else. He is a fucking Lawyer, what did you expect?

mad men is good though

I would say it's just as good as Breaking Bad, although it's a different type of show

The board likes BCS. Always a live thread and numerous discussion posts when it's on. It's just meme fags who don't and spam shit.

It really isn't. It's a sacred cow that for some fucking stupid reason nobody is willing to point out that nothing interesting fucking happens in it at all. I got halfway through season one before realizing I was just forcing myself to watch it because other people claimed it was good.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW

>falling for the Cred Forums knows what's good meme
You deserve it

Sounds like you're a pleb then. The character drama in Mad Men is of high enough quality to base a show off of without having wacky plot twists all the time. The same is not true of Better Call Saul.

Also it's painfully obvious at this point that they're just trying to milk the BB cow for all it's worth. They know that eventually Jimmy is going to become Saul, but they want it take several seasons to get there, so they stretch things out and add pointless subplots about fucking baseball cards. It's indefensible.

>MadMen stares some autistic faggot who fucks da wimmin and spokes and is a jackass
>is good yo

user is right. Mad Men was boring as ever-loving fuck and was only considered good because of nostalgia.

Better Call Saul is built off of Breaking Bad and its hype. It's not wrong for people to think the two should have similarities that go beyond the characters. When the pacing is slow and the plot is white collar, it's frustrating. Especially when you see it hinting at greatness like in season 1 with Tuco.

Mad Men is very polarizing, you either like it or you don't. The value comes from the interactions between the characters and the lives they lead. If you couldn't get some enjoyment out of Don and Roger's banter, then you should have dropped it before the second season.

No, it isn't. And I agree the show wouldn't have been served with "wacky" plot twists or action scenes, but you can't base a show off of -lacking- that and having nothing instead.

I quit watching when I realized I didn't care what happened to the characters. Bitching about babysitting or whining that your boss didn't like your ad pitch but having a family connection is not "character drama." And that's just the only things I can remember from the half-season I watched. Half a season and I can name all of two events.

dont waste your time. they took saul, the side kick funny guy in BB, and tried to turn his character into something more than he deserves. it doesn't work and the plot lines aren't going anywhere. the worst part about the show is they had to bring in mike to add some of the breaking bad underground drug drama to it, probably because vince realized the show is just too dull without it.

just skip it.

>Sounds like you're a pleb then.

I -liked- Mad Men, but its fanbase is the fucking worst.

Mad Men is the TV equivalent of classical music. Most people who profess to like it just want to be seen liking it. I have never, not once, EVER seen a criticism of the show, on any forum, anywhere, that did not immediately get replies accusing the poster of having ADD, or liking capeshit, or not being smart enough to get it, or needing action.

Classical music can be great, but a lot of it can also be quite long and tedious, either because it was never meant for mass popular consumption and you have to understand classical music a lot just to "get it," or even just that it was never that good to begin with.

It's a great character drama. Skillfully written, well acted and beautifully shot.
When I rewatched some BrBa after watching BCS, BrBa seemed like an over-acted explosion-ridden fanservice fest.

The most important thing: DO NOT watch BCS for the plot, because the plot is not important to the show. Plebs only care about plot, which is why they say they hate this show so much.

>character drama

oh man chuck is such an interesting character i cant wait to see more of his deep character development next season

>I read all of The Divine Comedy and only remember the bit about gluttony
>therefore it's a shit book
Why do people think it's okay to make this argument? It just shows that you're a retard or disinterested at the very least.

Because it's not a good "character drama" or any other kind of drama if it's hard to even recall what happened. It means it didn't stick with you, didn't leave any impression. It means it's bland.

Snooze fest: The Show

Yes, he is a total narcissist asshole but he is interesting and layered and yes I can't wait to see more of him.

i know!!!

maybe we can see more montages of kim getting clients next season too, how realistic!

>They know that eventually Jimmy is going to become Saul, but they want it take several seasons to get there, so they stretch things out and add pointless subplots about fucking baseball cards. It's indefensible.
The point of the show isn't suspense as to whether or not Jimmy will become Saul. We already know he will. There's no question there.

This nigga gets it:
>The most important thing: DO NOT watch BCS for the plot, because the plot is not important to the show. Plebs only care about plot, which is why they say they hate this show so much.

it isn't super boring like breaking bad so yeah I'd recommend.

better than the first 2 seasons of breaking bad for sure, slow but satisfying and dare is say comfy

do you want to know what's even more pleb than plotfags? thinking this show is a good character drama

>better than the first 2 seasons of breaking bad for sure

those are the two best seasons holy kek are breaking bad fans plebs

no literally nothing happened.

There are constantly threads popping up that say otherwise.

Yeah you can call it bland, but today most audiences would call Lawrence of Arabia or 2001 boring as well. I just think it speaks more about what you find interesting in a show rather than the traits of the show itself.

I never said that was the point of the show. But I think it would be a lot better if the show was about Saul Goodman doing Saul things and less about Jimmy doing Jimmy things. The show is called Better Call Saul, isn't it time for the title character to show up?

fuck you

wtf man that was uncalled for

aren't you excited to watch more scenes with saul and kim renting, and cleaning an office building?

>There are constantly threads popping up that say otherwise.
What the fuck kind of stupid argument is that?

It's certainly no Lawrence of Arabia or 2001. Because guess what, things actually happened in those films, things that brought attention to aspects of characters and made both the characters and the works interesting and watchable.

>Mad Men is the TV equivalent of classical music. Most people who profess to like it just want to be seen liking it. I have never, not once, EVER seen a criticism of the show, on any forum, anywhere, that did not immediately get replies accusing the poster of having ADD, or liking capeshit, or not being smart enough to get it, or needing action.
this. It's not a lack of instant gratification that drags the show down. There are other shows that pull off delayed gratification, like The Wire.

It's the lack of any gratification whatsoever. Mad Men is just not entertaining. It's not dramatic, insightful, educational, or fun. It's watching paint dry while men smoke and drink.

>What the fuck kind of stupid argument is that?
The same kind of stupid argument where you declare nothing happens and then a hundred people tell you, yes faggot, shit did happen.

>things that brought attention to aspects of characters
How does this not happen in Mad Men? In the first few episodes alone Don's brother makes contact with him and a whole lot of attention gets brought to his character; where he came from, why he's so cold, and why everything's so fucked. His wife goes to a psychologist which draws attention to aspects of her character and hints at interesting ideas about her and her mental state.

>and made both the characters and the works interesting and watchable
The characters are layered, well developed and progressively become more so. Most of them represent themes about the 1960s as well as about people in general. It's far more watchable than half the shit that gets discussed on this board.

>a hundred people
Or, well, you. Your ego does seem to be the size of a hundred men's though.

And no, nothing interesting happens in the show whatsoever. Saying nuh uh doesn't make it true. Don's brother says nothing interesting. His wife sits and talks dully about dull issues I'm given no reason to care about. A basic part of storytelling is telling the audience, up front, why a character is important and why they should matter to us. Mad Men fails to do this and disinvests the audience with long, drawn out scenes that go nowhere. Watching a character babysit a kid or watching a new guy get fired and unfired isn't interesting.

>the characters are layered, well developed
They're, at best, not flanderized caricatures. None of that makes them good or interesting.

>people who enjoy things i don't like are le cuck numale xD
literally kill yourself pathetic turd

>aren't you excited to watch more scenes with saul and kim renting, and cleaning an office building?
I am actually. I found it all intriguing.

>Oh wow, that shady criminal layer from Breaking Bad has his own show!
>Let's watch it!
>...
>Why isnt anything criminal happening???

i didn't really like BB that much, but i thought better call saul was great. only seen the first season tho

more like

>oh wow the funny criminal lawyer from breaking bad has his own show!
>let's watch it
>...
>why am i not laughing??
>ok so chuck doesn't like...electricity?????
>HES A MAIN CHARACTER IN THIS SHOW?
>WHY??????

You forgot
>Jesus Christ, second season???
>Why am i still watching this?
>Why am i on 4chins discussing this???
>Is my life really this worthless?

user pls stop

If they had just taken the 2 seasons and made into one it would GOAT but instead you get awkwardly stretched out filler where you know whats going to happen 2 episodes in advance and by the time it actually rolls around it isn't surprising or exciting

>all the faggots ITT shitting on mad men

sorry that it didn't have enough shooting and explosions in it for you, maybe stick to michael bay movies

>le epic no explosions meme

michael bay movies have better written characters than mad men

see

Is this the Cred Forums equivalent of telling anyone who doesn't like your dry autism simulator to go back to call of duty?

because fuck off with your Cred Forums-tier putdowns.

>all of these delicious (You)s

every time

watch the first episode. it doesn't get significantly better after that. decide for yourself.

It actually peaks with the Tuco scene in episode 2. It's all downhill from there though, since the stakes are practically zero

the marco arc was good. saul's scheme to get fired from davies' cabinet was super entertaining.

haha holy shit this guy actually got BTFO. impressive

I didn't lose my chill, I just gave up

Yeah, the show definitely has some highlights. Gilligan is still good at showing a lot with no dialogue, which is why his montages are great. Generally though, what's being shown, even if it's being shown well, isn't enough to keep me interested.

i.e. nothing happens.

get cancer and die

BCS is vastly superior to Memeing Bad.

>I was just pretending to be retarded

Waaaa! There's not enough 'splosions and zombies!!!

The god tier story and cinematography is enough to make it on par with Breaking Bad, and for everything else we get lawyer mommyfu

thats like saying you prefer to drink piss over preferring to eat shit. both are terrible and make you wish you did something better with your time. although BCS is considerably worse.

I probably shit on mad men the most here but even I would say it's miles better than better call Saul. If it wasn't because of breaking bads success it would have been cancelled by now.

>The god tier story

lol

exactly. you were beaten, broken. im sorry for your loss

>The god tier story and cinematography

There is no story, which is why it fails....

Oh, I agree Mad Men is a superior show about nothing interesting happening.

That still makes it a show about nothing interesting happening.

Fuck, I don't even need explosions to be interesting, just give me fucking -something-. Launder some money, bribe a senator, get mixed up in a ponzi scheme, fucking -something-.

They picked the wrong guy to write a show about. A show about Mike and his past would have much more interesting.

Then why is the Mike storyline the least interesting thing about BCS?

shut up idiot

it's very good, since nothing happens every character has well presented development

give it a try, it's good

>wahhh nothing happens
>still watches it anyway
Everytime, holy kek. Autists literally have nothing to live for other than shitposting and watching things they hate.

>...
Ledditor at his finest.
If you didn't payed attention is not the shows' s fault.

>wahhh mommy they didn't liked bb just as much as I liked it.

Fuck off foreigner filth.

first season was bad

didn't see the second

Thank you for posting that image. I have had similar thoughts floating around in my head for a while, but it's nice to see it written down, and eloquently at that.

>nothing interesting happens
this is the all-time #1 phrase that lets you justifiably stop reading someones post.

I seriously don't know if people are using it ironically or people actually think this.

Spinoffs are almost always. The point of a spin-off is that you are taking out a certain character and studying different thiings. Otherwise why wouldn't they just have a bunch of that character-centric plots in the original show?

>Especially when you see it hinting at greatness like in season 1 with Tuco.
I get this. They teased BB fans balls into making them keep watching. That is frustrating.

It is possible, however unlikely, that someone actually means something they say.

Especially when it's a criticism like "Nothing interesting happens" in a show as dry and overhyped as mad men.

In my opinion it's better than Breaking Bad

Less plotbabby and more focused in the development of the characters

If you are 12 years old you shouldn't watch Better call Saul

By your logic, a 5 year old who watches BB and can't remember anything means it's a bad show?

Really shows how self-centered you are that you think you are a perfect metric for art.

No, the five year old is the one who hasn't yet learned to discern when someone is stating an objective fact and when someone is stating their subjective experience.

For instance, "Mad Men was an uininteresting show with no memorable events." is obviously a subjective experience. "You are too old to need this spelled out to you, which suggests some kind of mental illness" in contrast, is an objective fact.

you ability to completely misunderstand my post, and then tell me i'm stupid suggests you are a pseudo-intellectual

>You missed my point!
>Doesn't go on to explain how or what the point was
Okay then.

/thread

Very good series.

What is a boy to do

My point was that 'something not being memorable' is a very weak argument.

I don't get cubism. I go to the museum and look at bunch of cubism, but it doesn't make an impression. Does that mean the art I saw isn't good?

>Does that mean the art I saw isn't good?
yes.

Cubism is garbage.

Appreciating art necessitates a certain amount of study. I'm sure you would share with me in cringing at our favorite movies from when we were 15.

The more art we consume, the more we notice the subtleties between the pieces: the methods used, the themes studied, the styles, the different eras, and the different subgenres. The more we know the more we can discuss what worked for us and what didn't. That's how art discussion is supposed to be. We have to learn about the form to be able to critique it.

So saying something 'wasn't memorable' is a weak argument because you didn't demonstrate any understanding of the artform and implies you're a pleb.

>Prove you're a patrician before you're allowed to say if you thought something was interesting
Jesus christ you're a pompous shit, even by Cred Forums standards.

>>Prove you're a patrician before you're allowed to say if you thought something was interesting

You can say whatever you like. I'm just saying that nobody is going to take you seriously if your critiques are so shallow.

Anybody can walk into an art gallery and say 'thats shit, thats good, that's shit, that's good' but nobody cares unless they demonstrate some knowledge of the artform.

It's the same with science. Anybody can "the universe is infinite" or " the universe is finite" but unless you demonstrate your knowledge of topology, manifolds, and general relativity and use this to explain your reasoning, nobody gives a shit.

>I just finished Breaking Bad and I loved it. Is pic related worth watching?

It's not worth watching if you're the kind of person who asks Cred Forums whether a show is worth watching. Nothing is, just skip it and base your opinion on whatever memes it generates.

Maybe this would be true if I were a professional media critic. I'm not, I'm an user on Cred Forums. Get off your high horse, you massively pretentious faggot.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, this is exactly the sort of retarded drivel that show's defenders invariably come out with. Anyone who realizes how dull and dry the show really is is immediately declared to just not get it or not appreciate it enough. No, the show is just dull as dishwater. If you disagree, why not come up with some counterexamples, moments of genuine conflict and tension that you think should be interesting to viewers?

they create advertisements

>you're

BIG

Again I'm not saying you're critiques are invalid. I'm just saying they are weak. It doesn't matter where you are you have to give reasons for your opinions or else it's just a lot of chimps throwing their shit at each other.

>Anyone who realizes how dull and dry the show really is is immediately declared to just not get it or not appreciate it enough
It's not because you didn't find the show interesting that people call you a pleb, it's because you haven't provided a legitimate critique. People that can't express their opinions properly are usually plebs, so those people have jumped to conclusions.

>If you disagree, why not come up with some counterexamples, moments of genuine conflict and tension that you think should be interesting to viewers?
What will this prove? Here goes anyways:
Roger impregnating Joan and their subsequent discussions about an abortion
Dons denouncement of big tobbaco
the setting up of the west coast office
ken getting fired then being a bitchy client at Dow
Don realizing he lost betty

basically what you're saying is no one can have an opinion on something unless they understand it

ok, i can play this little game. i'm a musician, you most likely are not. this would basically be like me saying you can't have an opinion on any type of music at all unless you understand all the basic fundamentals of music theory

you're a fucking moron

Better call Saul > Breaking Bad

ADHD: the post.

again, i'm not saying you can not have an opinion. I'm saying there's no point discussing art if your critiques are so 1-dimensional.

> you most likely are not.
I played piano for like 12 years

> you can't have an opinion
Again and again you don't understand my point. ANYONE CAN HAVE ANY OPINION THEY WANT. You can say whatever you want. It's just that if you can't muster up more of an argument than 'its good' 'its boring' then don't expect to be taken seriously.

Since you're a musician, you can probably discuss at length about your favorite musicians. You can talk about their style, their techniques, their phrasing, their melodies, their chord progressions etc. But imagine you're on Cred Forums and someone comes in and says 'hahah nice meme artist fag'. Then imagine another guy comes in and says " I find their phrasing a little monotonous. Plus he is clearly derivative of artist Y and has not really contributed much to the genre himself". Which user are you going to reply to?

Also, you have nothing to say about my remembering various interesting plot points from Mad Men? After all this??

>Wahh I got triggered

>Roger impregnating Joan and their subsequent discussions about an abortion
Literally soap-opera tier.
>Dons denouncement of big tobbaco
Every fucking show made since like 1995 does this.
>the setting up of the west coast office
Oooh, they set up an office. What a fucking thrill ride.
>ken getting fired then being a bitchy client at Dow
Someone got fired then acted bitchy? Really?
>Don realizing he lost betty
Soap opera tier drama.

These are seriously your examples of interesting things that happen on Mad Men? Fucking christ, that show is even worse than the few episodes I watched.

see>have never, not once, EVER seen a criticism of the show, on any forum, anywhere, that did not immediately get replies accusing the poster of having ADD
thanks for proving this right, yet again.

>Also, you have nothing to say about my remembering various interesting plot points from Mad Men? After all this??
I'm I'm not

Bad post user.

The problem with BCS is that a season looks like this:

Episode 1+2: Shit happens
Episode 3 to 7: Fucking NOTHING happens
Episode 8 to 10: Shit happens, cliffhanger

Sorry, you're right. Mad Men is filled to the brim with deep character drama about moving offices, bitches getting fired and bitching about it, and dull couples breaking up their dull lives.

It sure does sound like such a deep, interesting character drama.

Not really. I skip all Mike parts without Saul because it's uninteresting filler shit.

>Something has to sound interesting to be interestings
lul

ok user it was fun discussing this with you but it's time for bed. Hopefully someday you'll realize that just because you don't "get" something doesn't mean it's bad. I wish you luck in this quest.

100x this. The artistic freedom Vince is getting with BCS is paying off.

The problem with BCS is the office drama shit that really doesn't give Saul any room to shine.

>just because you don't "get" something
>I have never, not once, EVER seen a criticism of the show, on any forum, anywhere, that did not immediately get replies accusing the poster of having ADD, or liking capeshit, or not being smart enough to get it, or needing action.
It still rings true every time. This show can literally not be defended on its own merits. Its defenders invariably just ad hominem the fuck out of the other side.

Does pretending to like dull shows about nothing make you feel like you're smarter or more worldly than other people? If not, why are you so fixated on the idea that anyone who doesn't like Mad Men just can't or won't pay attention to it or doesn't "get it"? Why is it that hard to actually discuss the show's merits? If it's such a great show, surely it wouldn't be so difficult to demonstrate how.

Seriously, your list of great moments in the show involve setting up an office and a guy whining. Were you deliberately trying to make the show sound bad?

It's not really bad, but it gets pretty boring.

Saul just isn't as interesting of a character as Walt, and you already know how the characters end up.

>Why is it that hard to actually discuss the show's merits
>your list of great moments in the show involve setting up an office and a guy whining
Because any time someone does, you just stamp your feet and say 'no, it's still boring! I don't find that interesting so it must be!'

People find the aesthetic fun, the interactions are well done and believable, the show makes a lot of subtle points about people, both regular and successful. I find that Mad Men gives a lot more insight to its characters than most other shows and it's intriguing for that.

>because any time someone does, you just stamp your feet and say no, it's still boring
You literally cited a guy whining about his job as a highlight of the show. It has seven seasons for you to work with and its goldmine involves setting up an office? Try harder.

>people find the aesthetic fun
Then watch a documentary on the 60s or something.
>the interactions are well done and believable
Most interactions between people are boring. Most conversations in the show are boring.
>it's subtle!
Bullshit. This is a bullshit defense people reach for when their dishwater dull show is called out for what it is. It's nothing more than "You just don't get it" in a different phrasing.
>It has insights about its characters!
So do dozens of shows that still have interesting things happen to them. Name one thing Mad Men does that, just as a counterexample, The Wire doesn't do better, while still also having interesting conflict and events come up.

do you really think all these people are watching it, acclaiming it, and renewing to seem smart? Are you really that close-minded?

>if it's such a great show, surely it wouldn't be so difficult to demonstate how
The acting is superb. Every character has well defined characteristics and internal struggles. You seem them evolve over the seasons through conflict and success.

The stories draw me in, and makes me care about the characters. The dialogue is very good, from Don's pitches to peggy/Joan's suffragette speeches, i find myself rewinding them to really try and absorb everything that was said.

The 60s atmosphere created is very consistent and believable. The costume design is very true to the era (or so my mom has said).

im the guy you've been arguing with and im not

you sound like a fucking idiot to be honest. why would someone like a show to show others how cultured they are, especially on an anonymous board. mad men is a great show for the intricate characters and their relationships among themselves, it's that simple.

better call saul is a lazy cash grab with increasingly flanderized characters thrown in.

Best thing about BCS is, there's just so much potential with what they can do. Like, they could easily do a whole season dedicated to Saul's post-BrBad life. Imagine fucking that. The show has not one, not two, but THREE major selling points going into Season 3:

> Chuck's fate
> what happened to Tio?
> arrival of Gustavo Fring

With the slow pace this show is nurturing, they can stretch this out on 5-6 seasons easily, and I love it.

>do you really think all these people
I could say that exact same thing about The Big Bang Theory. That exact same line, word for word. It doesn't make the show any good.

>the acting is superb
The acting is fine. Maybe I just "don't get it" again? It's not bad, I'm not saying any of the leads are bad actors, but superb? It's...okay, it's acceptable, it functions without problems. That's all.

>it has character development
Many, many shows do this. It's kind of the norm. A show is considered bad if it doesn't do this.

>The stories draw me in, the dialogue is good
How and why? Weren't you the one arguing earlier that personal opinions don't matter? What about the stories draw you in? What is it about, just to pick the highlight of the examples offered, what was it about opening an office drew you in? The last episode I remember, a new hire pitched a new idea behind his boss's back, got fired, and then his boss's boss said "lol no, his family's old money." That's it. That's an entire plot. Did that draw you in? For the love of god, why?

>why would someone like a show to show others how cultured they are, especially on an anonymous board.
That happens all the fucking time, on numerous boards.

im really sick of arguing with you, so im going to leave the thread

>it's not about guns and explosions so it's bad
Some of the most important and insightful works in human history aren't about much more than men walking around and talking. Dialogue and interaction is two thirds of the show, if not more.

>Then watch a documentary on the 60s or something
What an odd thing to say. The feeling you get from a show's portrayal of a time and setting really isn't the same as the one you get from a documentary.
>Most interactions between people are boring. Most conversations in the show are boring.
I disagree. The conversations, whether serious or comedic, were well written and fun. Don and Roger's banter was great, watching the Brit become Americanized over time was interesting, seeing the young guys shittalk each other was good too.
>This is a bullshit defense
I'm not using subtle defensively, I'm using it descriptively. For the most part, the show doesn't cram its points down your throat and they're easy to miss.
>Name one thing Mad Men does that, just as a counterexample, The Wire doesn't do better
Why do I have to? I haven't seen The Wire but it doesn't phase me if it's a better show or not. There don't have to be murders and explosions for Mad Men to be a good show. The fact that you keep coming back to this 'not enough action' meme is why people say you don't get it; it really doesn't seem like you find enjoyment or meaning in character drama.

I get that Mad Men has a frustrating amount of defense online, but it's not like you're saying anything of value either.

Holy shit, did Jon Hamm run over your dog or something?

I've never seen someone reach this hard just to shit on a TV show they don't get.

Fuck man, just move on

Gotta get the last word in, huh?

>If you don't like the dialogue in Mad Men, you need more explosions and guns, you hate all dialogue
That's a fucking stupid argument not worth a serious reply. And you know it, too.

>the feeling
A documentary shows more of an era than a period piece. And at any rate, I still want a period piece to be interesting.

>I disagree
We're just saying "Nuh uh!" "Yeah huh!" at this point. The conversations weren't "fun." Can you find some examples of this amazing comic dialogue, maybe on Youtube or something?

>they're easy to miss
This, again, sounds a lot like "You just didn't get it." Repeating it in different phrasing doesn't make it less of a bullshit ad hominem.

>not enough action
It's not about action in the sense of explosions and murders. It's about things actually happening, conflicts and tension that draws you in to care about the outcome of the things happening to the characters and the characters' actions. And once again, "you just don't GET it" is your only 'defense' of the show. I do find enjoyment in character drama, just not Mad Men's character drama, because the drama stemming from the characters' choices and actions is boring.

Two replies to that post, absolutely zero answers. Jon Hamm was wonderful in other shows. I'm shitting on the show because it's bad.

not him, but come on, man. There are more works out there in the broad range of television shows than "dialogue" and "explosions." Even if you do dislike one extreme, and not just dislike an overhyped example from one side, doesn't mean you automatically embrace the other extreme.

i find it hard to believe youve actually seen the entire show if you think it's bad. i kind of get where youre coming from because i didnt like it the first time i watched the first couple seasons with my exgf, i thought it was boring and nothing happened. since i made myself watch it again it's become one of my favorites and i think it's the highest quality series ever written for non-premium cable. i'd argue that it's superior to breaking bad in almost every facet to compare it to another amc production

>That's a fucking stupid argument not worth a serious reply
Your compared it to the Wire you autist. Plenty of shit happens in Mad Men that you complain about not being interesting enough. The natural conclusion is that you want a different level of excitement.

>And at any rate, I still want a period piece to be interesting
It is interesting. The characters evolve throughout the 1960s, you see how different moments in the 60s direct and influence people of every demographic. How could you not understand this much at least? It's the most overt part about the show.

>Can you find some examples of this amazing comic dialogue, maybe on Youtube or something?
I gave you plenty of examples in my last post. Go find them if you want.

>This, again, sounds a lot like "You just didn't get it."
Okay, here's an example. Don's wife goes to her psychologist which Don gets weekly reports from. He explains to Don how all she seems concerned about are trivial domestic matters and gossip, concluding that Betty has the mind of a child. This point is powerful as you realize Don himself is discussing Betty's psychological affairs without her being present, essentially taking the role of some parental figure. This point becomes emphasized later on when she acts irrationally at the drop of a hat, lacks any and all discipline, fights with her own kids like she is one, etc.

I called that subtle because it is. The point isn't repeated more than once and it's easy to miss on a first viewing. Without picking that up, it's understandable why someone would declare that Don talking with a psychologist on the phone is a boring and meaningless scene.

>It's about things actually happening, conflicts and tension that draws you in to care about the outcome of the things happening
But this does happen. People say you don't get it because you insist on going in circles. People have cited conflicts that happen and you shrug them off because they're 'boring'.

you may say

>i find it hard to believe youve actually seen the entire show if you think it's bad.
No, I've seen most of a season and decided it was bad. You think I would sit through seven damn seasons of something before deciding I didn't like it? Giving it more than the three episode test was charitable.

>Yeah huh
Nuh uh

>Betty sees a psychologist for dumb reasons
>Don and the psychologist conclude Betty is dumb
Is this supposed to be symbolic? Is there some deeper meaning here I'm not getting? "Woman acts childish"?

Fine, maybe I don't get it. The best I can come up with as to what this is supposed to represent is the casual sexism of the era, which is hardly what I'd call subtle.

>people have cited boring conflicts and you called them boring
They are boring.

>The point isn't repeated more than once and it's easy to miss
Oh, and this -still- sounds like "you just didn't get it."

I did get it. I just didn't care about it. You really should let go of the idea that anyone who didn't care for the show, didn't like it, didn't understand it or didn't pay atention.

Who you looking at, dick head?

so you watched a couple episodes from the worst season before the show has a chance to pick up steam and now you're on the internet attacking the show based on this? that's fucking ridiculous. one of the most highly praised shows in recent history and you cant even give it a season. hell ive given garbage like mr robot and better call saul a season and a half

It's probably a good enough series when it's finished and you watch all the episodes in a row. Seeing an episode where nothing happens and having to wait a week to get another episode where nothing happens kinda ruins it for me.

>the worst season
The first half of the first season?

Sorry, but exactly how much faith is a guy supposed to put in a show that it eventually gets good? This is the show's intro. Its opening act. Its explanation to the audience of what the show is about, what it'll be like, what's in store.

If it bombs THAT it doesn't deserve the views. I can understand taking a few eps for actor and writer to hit their stride, but not all of us lack lives enough to watch entire seasons or more of a show just to decide if it's worth watching.

Does Chuck ever die painfully?

Almost every show more complex than dumb sitcoms are better when marathoned. It's to the point I actively avoid watching any new show that has promise until the first season is over, both so I can see if it goes off the rails and bombs, and so I can watch the show as a whole and see the plot lines and character development as a sequence, not a sa half-remembered episode from a week ago.

so you have time to write several posts attacking the show on Cred Forums even though you havent seen it but not enough time to watch it. im done

i agree with this post. everyone saying it's boring are cape-shit lovers.

>even though you havent seen it
I've tried to watch it. I gave it more time than I usually do, because it's so hyped up, surely it must get good eventually, right? - but it didn't.

Again, should I watch seven full seasons before deciding the show was boring?

>policing the time of others
You're here too, fucko.

The point of that very scene was to suggest that she is emotionally stunted

That doesn't sound so subtle you'd need to attack anyone who didn't liket he show as "not gettting it." That seems kinda obvious.

Breaker Bad = flick
Better Call Saul = true kino

>character drama
>doesn't click with autists on this board since they can't into social queues and interactions
What a fucking surprise.

>character drama
This isn't an explains-all excuse for boring writing. "Character drama" doesn't mean "It's okay not to have a story." It doesn't mean "It's okay to show mundane, boring events."

> boring

This is such an overused and misused word, it basically became a meme buzzword and incredible pleb-filter.

> 2001
> Barry Lyndon
> The Deer Hunter
> Once Upon a Time in the West
> The Last Emperor
> Quo Vadis
> The Wild Bunch
> The Bridge on the River Kwai
> Mad Men

These films and shows are deemed "boring, literally nothing happens" by neo-TV. I say Better Call Saul is in damn good company.

I'm deeply concerned... that when the subject matter of this show is discussed critically, both parties inevitably call it "boring" or "not enough explosions/too deep for you".

Never is there middle ground, just this sort of automatic response.

I shudder to imagine a mind that can't respond with specific examples for his opinions but always falls back on a very simple way of describing something.

Yes, most of those movies are boring, but what the fuck is The Bridge on the River Kwai doing there? Maybe the first part is a little boring, but after a while it gets exciting as hell.

>Yes, most of those movies are boring

Calling a movie boring is not any more misused and meme than calling one a "classic", "iconic" or "masterpiece" without any explanation why and then demanding everyone likes the movie for those reasons alone.

To be fair, boredom is a hard thing to measure objectively. How exactly can you cite examples of something being boring other than stating boring things that happened and saying that they bored you?

If you can't illustrate to someone why it is you feel something is "boring" then you must have an incredibly low tolerance for imagination.

Better Call Saul is character driven. If Saul wasn't one of your favorite characters in Breaking Bad you will likely not enjoy Better Call Saul

Okay, then, O superior imagination, please do tell us lesser peoples how it's done.

yes

>tfw they didn't keep the shows decoupled
>tfw it will become breaking bad lite

I actually like the slow lawyer stuff the most. It was nice to just get Mike as a rare treat in S1.