ITT: post absolute kino from the last 10 years

ITT: post absolute kino from the last 10 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XoQ5btKzvus
springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=holy-motors
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the scene where it gets all pixelated literally blew my brain when I saw it in theaters.

>that accordion scene

That was great. Every scene blew me away desu

Bit too much cinema nerd stuff I didn't get, but great on its own nonetheless.

I wouldn't worry, I think the director said the premise is much simpler / on the surface as what you might think.

can someone explain this movie to me?

its le quirky maymay moobie

Well, that's comforting!

Don't remember that bit. Was it when he was filming the greenscreen fight sequence?

I'd also consider Seven Psychopaths.

>that scene about the burning monk

talking about Gleeson

I think it was during a dream and he was riding through a town or something. It was pretty short

It's a movie about an actor

man of steel, batman vs superman, the dark knight rises, the amazing spider-man 1 and 2, interstellar, tree of life, boyhood

That scene always scares me.

youtube.com/watch?v=XoQ5btKzvus

It looked so gorgeous on the huge screen I wanted to applaud.

I think it symbolises celluloid's death and transition into digital video (you hear the death rattle of a man, the road leads to a graveyard, etc)

Later (or was it earlier?) in the movie during the graveyard scene you can see hyperlinks on the tombstones which is such an awesome commentary on "death" in the modern age.

He's an obsessive and gifted actor who is always (as in, ALWAYS) in a scene for varying films, that's how he lives. The scenes themselves I don't think are connected, except to see him carry out different emotions (love, grief, resentment) and parts of daily life (opportunities to sleep, connect with a love interest, yearning to visit the forest again).

I guess it raises discussion on: why he does this, what effect it has on him, who is behind it all and how it reflects our world / the film industry today.

Why are there sounds of seagulls / boats throughout the film?

What is the importance of the limousines?

Why does he choose to keep doing what he does? Or is it out of his control? Maybe these aren't even the right questions.

>Holy Motors is a 2012 French
>French

Stopped reading there. Take this pretentious bullshit to reddit, you hipsters

Good pick OP

here is my pick

>hasn't heard of what is probably one of the biggest foreign releases in the last 5 years

Take your ignorant bullshit to a LOTR thread, you pleb

>What is the importance of the limousines?
it's an emblem of Hollywood stardom and celebrity. It's a play on the title: The Holy Motor is both a camera and a vehicle that transports us, the viewer, and the the actor, towards new destinations, new "scenes."

It's also reminiscent of a coffin, which ties into the main theme of the death of physical film.

>Why does he choose to keep doing what he does? Or is it out of his control?
I think it's just his job, as it is has been Lavant's for the entirety of his career, so it's a little biographical in that way. He simply lives to act.

The film shows him slowly come undone from all the physical demands of the changing world. It's sort of a love letter to acting, to Lavant, and to his and Carax's shared journey together.

Just squeaks in by a couple months.

>Margaret

The bus driver did nothing wrong

came into thread to post this

will post this instead

that's not at all what the movie is about

but actually, what he did is wrong. that's irrelevant though.

Well put, that makes a lot of sense. I really enjoyed the dread (or relief) that you feel when the limousines show up. I need to watch it again with more thought on the transition into digital film, which I've seen pointed out.

What about the seagulls though? It kept popping up, it had to mean something.

10/10 choice. Incredible. Ties in well with Black Swan, too.

no freaking clue. I loved his house boat though.

The opening scene in the cinema is also GOAT.

I thought it was much, much better than Black Swan and I was super disappointed when Black Swan basically recycled the ending of The Wrestler.

I know they're the same as the ending for Pi, but still...

Definitely the kino of the decade.

Also just sneaks in.

>boyhood
it took TWELVE years to make

why does this board hate Boyhood so much? I don't understand it at all.

Linklater brought us the Before trilogy and then Boyhood, two of the greatest works in probably all of American film. The lashback from this board is kinda embarrassing.

Seven Psychopaths I found extremely pretentious. Like it thought it was saying something super deep, but was actually just spouting cliches.

The Before trilogy is the greatest trilogy of all time. It is a trio of masterpieces.

Boyhood is utter garbage and the only bad film from Linklater I've seen.

Black Swan is a lot more enjoyable when you realise that:

>the director only cares about sleeping with the performers
>black swans have done this, white swans have not
>he enjoys the challenge of pursuing this with Pottman
>his encouragement to Portman, with promises of success, aim solely towards this
>it's tragic because she is actually a lesbian (hence the sex scene) which consequently hinder her chances at show business success

Holy crap, nice. I forgot about this. I do remember Carax explicitly bemoaning the death of real film and the rise of digital in interviews. So he almost certainly had something like that in mind.
>Later (or was it earlier?) in the movie during the graveyard scene you can see hyperlinks on the tombstones
Didn't even notice this either. Need a rewatch, clearly.

literally RLM dicksuckers thinking they've seen through the sham of modern cinema because they noticed that a Richard Linklater film was vaguely plotless
it's a fine movie

Agreed on this, these kinds of movies always try to come off as tough or quirky but I never believe it.

Watch Waking Life b

it was enjoyable for me because the middle aged lady in front of me thought it was going to be a romantic drama and freaked out with all the Ghost Winona stuff.

That shot where Winona is standing there with stabbed face in the dark? She completely lost her shit and the whole audience laughed.

10/10 theater experience.

It's a shame because In Bruges is just brilliant. I think McDonagh got too much into his own head when writing the script, and then wrote a script about a man being too much into his own head when writing a script. It's a mess.

whoa

not as good as sexy beast but pretty great

Hivemind

This is the craziest film ive ever seen

Lulz.

Nope. That is incorrect.

Boyhood I would actually say is the superior film. You just got meme'd on man. This board probably destroyed it for you. It's a complete work of genius.

Glazer kino hive-mind

That's pretty funny. I love seeing people walk out too, when clearly they didn't know what they're in for.

>Why does he choose to keep doing what he does? Or is it out of his control?
>what effect it has on him
From small autobiographical shit about actors/actresses, it is pretty much out of their control, acting practically becomes their drug.
It consumes large chunks of their time, especially when its television, 19+ hours out of the day in makeup/wardrobe, waiting for other people to prep, shooting, reshooting. Weeks, months just vanish to the shooting schedule.
Relationships become tenable, which is obvious with turnaround of celebrity couples. When you're spending more days out of the year with a cast mate instead of someone else in your "life", bonds and intimacy quickly switch over.

>Allisyn Ashley Arm
I thought she died

added to watchlist, thanks

thought AAA died or something

The greatest trilogy is Antonioni's malaise trilogy.

I'll check that one out, but yeah it always came off as overconfident writing or something like that.

I have. It is also a masterpiece. Linklater is a god with one misstep.

I sincerely hope you are not serious.

I really liked the moment with his love interest, it's like a blessing for them that their "appointments" lined up but tragic under the circumstances they're living through. I also enjoyed trying to pick whether he was acting or not at certain points too, kinda like Birdman.

What is with the anti-Boyhood mentality? It makes no sense at all. Do you nuts think you guys are the only ones who have seen through Boyhood's veneer? I don't understand how anyone could be a fan of Linklater and completely fail to see Boyhood as the perfect summation of literally everything he has worked towards in his career.

Also, a god with one misstep? Maybe you actually haven't seen that many of his movies. He has had several missteps. Or are you a big fan of Bad News Bears?

>anti-Boyhood mentality
How delusional are you? It's just a bad movie. Bad acting, horrible dialogue, boring scenes, no fun to be had, and an awful protagonist. The only redeeming quality is Ethan Hawke.

It's filled with details and references that I got a kick out of. Carax revisits so much of his filmography through the film. It really adds another dimension if you're familiar with all of them.

This board is quite literally one of the only places I've encountered that features a huge amount of anti-Boyhood sentiment. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon at the same time while everyone also elected that piece of trash Birdman a masterpiece.

Really though, it doesn't sound like you're on Linklater's wavelength so that's alright. Also, just listing things and saying "bad," "horrible," "boring" in front of them isn't a critique.

>What happens to me if I fail your test?
It will be extremely painful

You've literally said nothing in favour of Boyhood so don't talk to me about what a valid critique is. Also I'm fairly sure I'm a bigger fan of Linklater than you are, not that it matters. I just have the decency to accept that Boyhood was extremely poor.

The 'movie' is shit, plain and simple. It was marketed around a stupid gimmick that wasn't even utilized in an interesting narrative way in the film.
It's just a big pile a of bullshit, and the most significant case of emperor's new clothes in the history of modern cinema.

The person challenging the movie is probably the one who should offer reasons as to why, yes? That's how discussions typically work.

Also, you sound like a 3rd grader. You're a bigger fan than me of Linklater? You serious mate? It doesn't even sound like you've seen his movies outside of the most famous ones, especially if you somehow think Boyhood is his weakest movie and the only misstep.

I also love how you seem to think that Boyhood is self-evidently bad. You should get on the phone to Criterion and prevent their release of it this week, they should know the kinda trash they're putting out there.

Why would it need to be used for a narrative purpose? Are you familiar with Linklater's filmmaking interests? His entire career has been obsessed with time. There is nothing gimmicky about it, especially given that he has spent his entire career investigating time.

>Why would it need to be used for a narrative purpose?
Did you just really asked that question? Cinema is a narrative medium.

Alright pleb, time to find another movie to discuss.

I'm not even a huge supporter of that film, but people who dismiss things like that as 'gimmicks' are really destroying any originality and creativity we can hope for in future cinema. Please never join a test screening.

You've not seen In Bruges? Dude. Watch it as soon as possible.

Eh, it's been a while since I saw Waking Life, I remember it as being pretty, for want of a better word, sophomoric. Maybe it felt cliche because I've done a philosophy course and he was basically just laying out some simple philosophical concepts.

Recommending In Bruges while harshing Waking Life?

uhhhh

Why do people love In Bruges so much? It's on a tier with stuff like Tarantino.

sorry to burst your bubble but Tarantino didn't invent two-hander dialogue driven plays.

this so much

It is a gimmick, it contributed absolutelly nothing to the story or aesthetic of the overall film. Literally a marketing decision over an artistic one.

>he didn't get the entire purpose of the film
wew.

lol it's pretty funny watching you get mad and trying to defend that sorry excuse for a film. Still haven't given any reasons for why it's so good I see...

I wish I liked this movie. It just was too fucking long for me to care. I liked BtBR though and many people didn't. Can't like em all

Again, you sound like a third grader. It bums me out that people like you are Linklater fans.

Again, Linklater has literally made movies about time for his entire career, since his very first movie. That is an objective fact.

>I liked BtBR though

I think the problem is you're a giant pleb with awful taste.

From what I remember, it's just used as a mechanism to tell a story over a long period of time. Which is interesting, because we rarely see such a huge span of time in one movie (where a film would span, at the most, over maybe a couple of years). It shows a lot of development and insight into major events occurring in a lifetime and, outside of the story, we can enjoy the commitment of the actors and production team. Of course it's an attractive clickbait fact, it doesn't mean the director had shit intentions or that it isn't interesting. Again, I'm not even a big fan of the film, but simplifying it so much is strange.

There would be no eulogies for Bob

Au contraire, 傻逼

To be fair I haven't seen Waking Life in many years and my taste was probably quite immature. I'll still defend In Bruges to the hilt though. It's brilliant.

You seem to think that an artist (a filmmaker!) has to be valued by it's entire body of work.
Movies should be able to stand on their own, what Linklater did before means nothing to a person who hasn't seen his previous films. Cinema doesn't work like that.

I'm not simplifying it, i'm pretty sure it wasn't more that a 'cool' decision who then they realized was a good marketing strategy to award-baiting.
I'd agree if the kid was a good actor, or his character was actually more than a paper thin idea or what a young male is.
It works for Arquette (only exceptional thing in the movie) and Hawke because they're actually actors, but the boy, the emotional core and main protagonist is not even a character.

Seven Psychopaths is a self aware satire piece taking the piss out of common cinema tropes. I think you missed the point of the movie.

Either way, Walken is 10/10.

Oh man... I have a VERY different interpretation of it.

What's kino? Bad quality?

What did you see in it?

I don't know, the name "Holy" in the title, the fact that he has a schedule everyday that he has to follow and the final dialogue with the cars... well here it goes...

The guy is some kind of worker for a weird kind of "heaven" and his work is to do all that crazy shit day to day so that normal people keeps going on with their lives according to the holy plan. Like, normal people probably don't even see him the way he is; he appears as a father to about three different families, they probably see him as their father all the time, but you know, he's an actor, a holy one. Same with all people that interact with him.

>in bruges
>boring, unfunny movie
>kino
does kino mean 'bad'?

I like this interpretation and I think that's what I was thinking at the start. I didn't understand the ending so maybe you're on the money.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

But at the same time I see some really good movies in here. Maybe kino is like overrated or underrated, idk.

Reddit is capeshit central buddy. You'd fit right in

I don't think I missed the point at all. It was clear it was trying to send up common action movie tropes. It just seemed a bit of a stale subject, people have already sent that sort of thing up hundreds of times. And they seemed to be riffing on action movie tropes from the last century.

Wow, I like this a lot. You can just come right out and say 'angel', dude, we won't think you're weird.

What's with the in Bruges hate? Probably the funniest comedy of the 21st century so far

To be brutally honest there really is none. Dude wrote it in a couple of weeks. It's just film for film's sake.

I don't think that's something you can know for sure. It's an interesting mechanism that also is obviously very attractive to awards and marketing. I think the director had good intentions with an original idea, you think he saw a sellable opportunity and perhaps lost some creative soul in the process. I understand but to be honest, neither of us know for sure.

you should probably read some interviews about it. I don't think it's as plot-driven or logical as you're suggesting.

>This is why the film is called Holy Motors, because there is a holy motor is all of us, men, beasts, and machines. And there was a new world, let's say a virtual one. After animals and men, I ended up wanting to make machines speak too. I like motors, the word "motor", the word "action", but they are not words that you can really use in filmmaking anymore as there aren't motors in cameras anymore.

The French's answer to Ang Lee apparently.

>tfw you have so many french movies to watch (holy motors, girl on bridge, le samourai, 400 blows, etc.)
>but want to learn french before watching them to better understand them
anyone else know this feel?

French is super easy to get the basics of. You must know bits of Spanish, right? It's as easy as that.

>tfw love literature
>tfw haven't read Proust yet
>tfw the reason is I cannot speak French

I feel you bruh

I think it still matches up with that first theory. He's still an obsessed actor, yet he still yearns for the opportunity to experience some scenes over the other and lives his life and emotions through these. He's losing parts of himself and is becoming an empty shell playing these roles. And maybe it's in the hands of Holy Motors, whose holy intentions is more filling a gap in the world.

Anyway, like said, it was quickly conceived and I think the director talks down anyone who overanalyses it. It's really interesting to talk about regardless.

You can enjoy Le Samourai with subtitles. There's not a whole lot of dialogue in that film

Haha, you have a lot of empathy man, that's really cool.

Yeah I was tempted to say angel a couple times (and thought that you'd call me a faggot for it) but in the end I chose not to use that word because it implies a different kind of entity. You know like, something "good" that protects you and all that stuff.

The guy from Holy Motors feels more like the janitor of heaven haha.

Also, check out the transcript at the end:

springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=holy-motors

From "YOUR HOUSE, YOUR WIFE YOUR DAUGHTERS" onwards.

Sounds a lot like they're doing this job in their afterlife or something.

It still makes sense to me. Check out the very ending as well. I think t's a metaphor on how the means to control people are changing. But that's dwelving into Cred Forums's territory.

I'm I agree. Probably an actor's afterlife is to keep acting for them.

Most meta-movies that try to riff on tropes do it with a kind of pretentious shallow irony whereas Seven Psychopaths actually approaches the topic with sincerity and looks at it from various angles. Woody Harrelson is a criminal who projects a faux stereotypical image of the badass gangsta while actually harboring deep insecurities. The only living thing he cares for and connects with is his dog. His outward projection of the pop culture gangster iconography betrays his hollow and contemptible core.

Sam Rockwell is a character consumed by the cinematic portrayal of heroism. He is a complete nut whose only salvation lies in the cathartic violence he sees on the screen and wishes to act out in reality.

Colin Farrell is the screenwriter who has worked in this industry and contributed to the shallow culture which has ghettoized modern intellect. He is a depressed alcoholic who can't maintain a relationship and is borderline suicidal by the film's end.

Only Christopher Walken, the character who seeks redemption through a self-immolation of sorts, is ultimately sympathetic by subverting the common action movie tropes. By avoiding the shootout and defying cliches of heroism he becomes the only truly heroic character.

Compare this to something like Scream, which basically boils down "horror tropes lmao XD"

This. Fucking christ.

Best american movie I've seen in a lot of years.

took my fiance to see this on our second date.
we both loved it, i knew then everything would be a-ok

>post Paolo Sorrentino
>not The Great Beauty

but how did your fiance's son feel about it?

Birdman was actually good. Unlike Boyhood.

Unlike The Revenant as well.

Birdman is fraudulent cinema. A steadicam one-take "gimmick" that masks a completely flat approximation of artists suffering for their art. It is a completely inauthentic work from a hack director.

Haven't seen birdman, but yeah Iñarritu is far from being a good director. The powerful elite just likes him for some political reason and that's why he's on the spotlight.

>And I'm mexican btw

I wonder how much of this is lost in translation. Does 'motor' have a French cognate?

I dunno, creatures/entities from some sort of 'heaven' have been depicted as not necessarily 'good' creatures in media for some time now, Preacher and His Dark Materials are things of the top of my head that contain fairly ambivalent creatures that can be described as as Angels.

It's hard to tell what that dialogue is intended to mean since I don't know who's speaking it. The bit at the very end is the cars, right? The rest of it feels like a song.

Is that the portion of script from when he greets his chimpanzee family?

I respect your opinion and I appreciate that you've thought a decent amount about this film's message. I just didn't find the same depth in it.

>Is that the portion of script from when he greets his chimpanzee family?

Yeah but before he gets to them, he's talking with the driver about how he wishes to start over again, something like that.

Love 2015
Enter the Void 2009

Sorry you're right, those are the lyrics of the song. Relevant as well.

Yes, glad someone had the coconuts to post them.

Kino is something beyond a plebs level of comprehension.

I feel the need to respond to this because it is one of the few genuinely respectful and intelligent responses I've ever received on Cred Forums. Thank you, sir, I respect your ability to form your own opinion and your tact in a tactless place.

I enjoyed this movie. Good choice

Good stuff

Berberian Sound Studio

Pure unfiltered Kino
Plebs need not apply

You're welcome dude. It's a sweet feeling finding actual movie discussion on this board.

The most IMDB sensibility film made so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today. This is hot pocket the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

All the memes are there

Check out a film called the Lobster, its by the same guy. Not as good but a good different still.

Suprised no ones posted this one yet

That's not from the last 10 years.

Should watch Amer, its better
Love was great, I dont give a fuck H8r's.

Pure Aussie Kino with Ben Mendehlsohn as your least favorite dead-eyed uncle.

Should watch Amer, its better
Love was great, I dont give a fuck H8r's.

Daily reminder Boyhood took 12 Y E A R S to make

I'm a fan of recent Malick, Tree of Life and especially Knight of Cups
Speaking of Amer, I thought The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears was fantastic

thisAlso Steele is much better

>That's not a very gay film mate.

Yeah, and the Godfather took 48 years because they had to wait until Marlon Brando was old.

You know what? All movies took billions of years in the making you know? Because if there were no universe as we know it, there wouldn't be no movies.

It wasn't filmed across 48 years though.

good call

>implying boyhood was

I wasn't at all...

i hated this movie. i cant stand movies that spout liberal catholicism. its about as far from realistic as can be. he tells a young member of his church who is having lustful thoughts to "go to the city and find a young lass to satisfy you", he goes and fetches a gun for an old man who wants to kill himself. i dont know, there were just so many times i had to roll my eyes during this shitfest. i can see why hollywood liberals would eat it up though. but in terms of what actual irish catholic priests are like, its not even remotely close to accurate

What?

Ok now I'm lost... I thought you wrote some kind of counter argument there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

retard

wrong movie m8

Lurk moar

I'm always happy when I randomly come to teabee and find these threads. Interestingly enough, they only happen at night in amerrilard time.

You better go copy pasta on reddit /truefilm/. Prove were not plebs.

But I'm an Ausfag and I post these threads. Checkmate.

Doesnt surprise me. We got a kino advantage with SBS movies and Monkey Magic as kids.

Yup

The White Ribbon
The Duke of Burgundy
The Dance of Reality
Inherent Vice
Bronson
The Witch
The Neon Demon

;.;

gyllenhaalkino

>Implying there have been a single good film these last 10 years

Holy Motors is fucking great

People tell me I look like Jake in Nightcrawler. That's probably not a good thing.

So it's about Eric Roberts?

dogshit

RAK TI KHON KAEN, APICHATPONG WEERASETHAKUL, Thailand, 2015
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, APICHATPONG WEERASETHAKUL, Thailand, 2010

TO THE WONDER, TERRENCE MALICK, United States, 2012
KNIGHT OF CUPS, TERRENCE MALICK, United States, 2015

CERTIFIED COPY, ABBAS KIAROSTAMI, France, 2010
LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE, ABBAS KIAROSTAMI, Japan, 2012

THE SOCIAL NETWORK, DAVID FINCHER, United States, 2010
THE ACT OF KILLING, JOSHUA OPPENHEIMERCHRISTINE CYNN, Denmark, 2012
SENNA, ASIF KAPADIA, United Kingdom, 2010
KIŞ UYKUSU, NURI BILGE CEYLAN, Turkey, 2014
CAVALO DINHEIRO, PEDRO COSTA, Portugal, 2014
NORTE, HANGGANAN NG KASAYSAYAN, LAV DIAZ, Philippines, 2013
A TORINÓI LÓ, BÉLA TARRÁGNES HRANITZKY, Hungary, 2011
SAMSARA, RON FRICKE, United States, 2011
IDA, PAWEŁ PAWLIKOWSKI, Poland, 2013
NOSTALGIA DE LA LUZ, PATRICIO GUZMÁN, Chile, 2010
KAGUYA-HIME NO MONOGATARI, ISAO TAKAHATA, Japan, 2013
HARD TO BE A GOD, ALEKSEI GERMAN, Russia, 2013
OSLO, 31. AUGUST, JOACHIM TRIER, Norway, 2011
FILM SOCIALISME, JEAN-LUC GODARD, Switzerland, 2010
LEVIATHAN, VERENA PARAVELLUCIEN CASTAING-TAYLOR, United Kingdom, 2012
HAI SHANG CHUAN QI, JIA ZHANGKE, China, 2010
MEEK'S CUTOFF, KELLY REICHARDT, United States, 2010
SČASŤJE MOJO, SERGEI LOZNITSA, Ukraine, 2010
NOTHING PERSONAL, URSZULA ANTONIAK, Ireland, 2009
SHI, LEE CHANG-DONG, South Korea, 2010
LE QUATTRO VOLTE, MICHELANGELO FRAMMARTINO, Italy, 2010
DES HOMMES ET DES DIEUX, XAVIER BEAUVOIS, France, 2010
CARLOS, OLIVIER ASSAYAS, France, 2010
LA PIEL QUE HABITO, PEDRO ALMODÓVAR, Spain, 2011
AMOUR, MICHAEL HANEKE, France, 2012
MAGIC MIKE XXL, GREGORY JACOBS, United States, 2015

Films I've rewatched a few times and I love from the bottom of my heart. Cutoff is 2010 because it was made for 2010s, and list from past 10 years wouldn't even fit here.

By the way if you want to watch Lav Diaz MUBI is showing one Diaz film a month, this is rare/never done before.

Gahahaha, this director is dumb as fuck.

>By the way if you want to watch Lav Diaz MUBI is showing one Diaz film a month, this is rare/never done before.
amen to that it's like 35 quid a year for a flim a day sure a lot of them are pretty standard shit u can find anywhere but every now and then u have proper releases that are bare hard to find especially if u're not gona splash out on a physical

They stream eurofilms that I couldn't get from aynwhere else, I like it as a service.

This x 1000

That was pure kino moment.

I can't top this

i'm pleasently surprised by the amount of love for holy motors in this thread I've mentioned it several times before and there has been a luke warm response.

Also surprised no one has mentioned Gomes's Arabian Nights or Serra's the Death of Louis xiv (although that is only at fests so far?)

>Also surprised no one has mentioned Gomes's Arabian Nights or Serra's the Death of Louis xiv (although that is only at fests so far?)
You are surprised this offtopic board for Cred Forums doesn't watch good films? Really?!

>Louis xiv (although that is only at fests so far?)
It's at Busan film fest, I passed on tickets based on a couple reviews. It sounded tedious. Is it good?

Fuck of trip fag

it's the same minimal & meditative style of film that he makes but this is the best one so far. If you didn't get much out of his earlier stuff this won't change that.

Fair enough. Not my thing.

The fucking execution at the end was awful, they did a fucking replay cam that was totally out of place.

>I wanted to applaud.

clapburger pls

That's literally what Catholicism has become, you can see it in The Sound of Music. I honestly think it was a necessity for it to keep it's popularity.

This was pretty good, I'm not sure about it being 'absolute kino' though

it wasn't the funniest like roll on the floor, it was good because it had depth to the humour, it had angst that was relieved through the humour, which was done much better than other black comedies.

This was a really well done film, I had completely forgotten about it.

Everyone seems to hate on this but I thought it was great.

I want to punch Bela Tarr in this face. I legit want to beat him up.

Are you kidding me? Have you never seen movies who jump around? The fuck.

Because it's a pointless film that had nothing going for it but its gimmick.

Do you think gimmicks, like in boyhood, could be justified as opening a door to more development and exploration of a technique?

>DES HOMMES ET DES DIEUX, XAVIER BEAUVOIS, France, 2010
Yeah, you've got shit taste.

Oh shut the fuck up. Fact of the matter is that it added nothing to the narrative or the experience. Ok fine it was a nice experiment but it fucking failed. Go ahead and applaud him for being so ambitious but don't pretend it was anything but a mediocre movie.

you

No, because the greatness in movie is that you can cheat with reality. THere are literally no reason to wait 10+ years to make a film. Plus, that shit is done daily in TV shows where you see characters get older and older.

What a meaningless critique. You should be a film critic for a living

more films like this pls

lol, I think you got this faggot dead to rights on that.
I don't think Birdman was trying to mask or generalize all 'artists suffering for their art' I think it was exploring emotions Michael Keaton had after the popular acclaim he had for being batman. Something that actors in that position may or may not relate to, but to say it was trying to represent everyone in the profession is just stupid.

It doesn't get any credit, whatsoever, for attempting to explore a different strategy for story telling in a movie?

>THere are literally no reason to wait 10+ years to make a film
Other than doing it for experimantal reasons of directing which is valid reason.

Right, what a complete retard hehehe so dumb imdb am I right xDD

I think he is a stupid person based on his filmography. His moralistic arguments are completely devoid of any and all actual content & depth and serve only the most surface level 'edge & thrill'.

And he lacks his own unique directing style, what all interesting directors have.

I'm actually getting some good recommendations from this thread. Has the kino meme actually helped Cred Forums?

Why should he get credit for trying something? Or, more precisely, what credit should be given to someone who tries. Plenty artists try things all the time. Does not mean what they create has any value.

It's a nice concept. Why does this make you so fucking angry? You are a faggot that has never done anything in your life, here you are harping on someone that had ambitituous idea for a film making (not unique tho)

Delete PC and go do something

My first post was there. Angriness might have clouded your judgment. Sounds to me like you're projecting your inadequacies onto me.

is that robert carlylr aka begbie? if so, i will check this out immedeatly

this was shit

Fight me irl cunt

Seriously, why? I thought it had a brilliant creeping sense of menace. Why didn't you like it?

thanks

typo on the poster? wtf??

its spelt leviathan

Asian kino:

Midnight Diner (Japan)
Tampopo (Japan)
Sonatine (Japan)
Tokyo Sonata (Japan)
Time (Korea)
Kaiden (Japan)
Fish Story (Japan)
Vertical Ray of the Sun (Vietnam)
4:30 (Taiwan)
Yiyi: A One and a Two (Taiwan)

nothing in existence that's more kino than this

DUDE FUCK PUTIN LMAO
DUDE AUSTRALIANS ARE PEOPLE LMAO

not all films are supposed to be questioned in that way. just watch it and relax... don't think about the plot. how does it make you feel? what atmosphere do you feel? once you start thinking about the subconscious elements in a film rather than plot/actors, film begins to be a lot more enjoyable.

that aside, i really have no clue what its about. but i like it.

always find myself rewatching this and i'm a goy

i was so fucking high when i saw this holy shit

Datamosh

T H I S
H
I
S

shit movie

how did he write up there that chalkboard is too big

The pieces move you fucking idiot

"Greenberg" (dir. Noah Baumbach, 2010)

"Putty Hill" (dir. Matthew Porterfield, 2010)

"Tiny Furniture" (dir. Lena Dunham, 2010)

"Mumblecore" (dir. Megan Boyle & Tao Lin, 2011)

"Margaret" (dir. Kenneth Lonergan, 2011)

"Policeman" (dir. Nadav Lapid, 2011)

"The Comedy" (dir. Rick Alverson, 2012)

"Frances Ha" (dir. Noah Baumbach, 2012)

"Mr. Turner" (dir. Mike Leigh, 2014)

"Right Now, Wrong Then" (dir. Sangsoo Hong, 2015)

I liked this, pretty good plot structure and development

Absolutely This. Not a day goes by when I don't think about Enemy.

I'm glad that someone else has seen it, I've watched it a few times, it's just oozing with implicit meanings that aren't discussed in dialogue or anything, but still convey powerfull aspects of the story.
One theory I had:
The spider that gets stepped on in the snuff show at the start, symbolic replacement of a baby.

Yankee fucking cunts

thanks for reminding me to watch RN,WT
do you use mubi?

Because it's popular. Also group-dynamics of memeing

Top notch response mate

Every scene sucked ass

We didn't even get to see Eva mendes naked

It's only good if you see it as an alien invasion movie

this

It was good but far from the best Park Chan woo can deliver

Whenever I see or hear the title, I always get Under the Sea on my brain ("sea" obviously replaced by "skin").

me on the right

Care to enlighten me as to how it can be seen as an alien invasion movie? How does the double play into that? Is this a troll?

pretty much this, it ruined other black comedy's for me

Reddit Letter Media, my friend

The connotation of Kino on Cred Forums is "Amazing." People use Kino almost exclusively as a sarcastic way to describe a movie as being amazing when in reality it is terrible.

This board is kino.

Kek

>Mumblecore
>5 years later
>Still acting like this indie crap has any value

WEW

kino spoonfeeding mate

Just kidding you need to shut-up. Kino means cinema in German/Norwegian/Russian, it's referring to films as having an avant-garde European quality that is supposedly better. Some people use it sarcastically because >memes, but others use it sincerely looking for a 'good' film to watch or to ask if a film is seen in good light by Cred Forums

this pasta never gets old

I liked it a lot.

who's ready for kaijukino tomorrow?

Dude lmao thanks for sharing, cool af

It doesn't. They are twins. The guy slowly realises there's something wrong (that for some sci fi reason is not obvious), especially with his wife/girlfriend and in the end it all makes sense. It was aliens.

I use it to refer to more cinematic pieces as opposed to theatrical work like Bergman, most nouvelle vague and the vast majority of American film.

>blue and orange

there have been no good films in the past 10 years, at least not from america

This was lovely.

Fantastic rhythmic exercise.

A Serious Man was way more impressive (nearly unbelievable) in what they did with Book of Job, and I would say in any other respect as well.

Inland Empire.

Probably Americans who got butthurt about it.

fuck off shitskin

Terrible movie. You should feel ashamed, tryhard.

Tuck into your burger Hank, leave the kino to the rest of the world.

Both in Bruges and Tarantino in general are great

I think Cred Forums doesn't like it because of inglorious basterds being construed as anti-nazi or pro-Jew

Obviously people hate on pulp fiction here too but I think that's just Cred Forums virtue signaling, it all starts with the antisemitism

People hate him because he's a hack and couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag.

he has a Palm d'Or and multiple screenwriting Oscars. Pulp also revolutionised America cinema so much that people started copying him outright.

I've been here since before inglorious basterds and Django unchained and Cred Forums didn't used to hate Tarantino

No coincidence the Internet capital of racism and antisemitism turns on Tarantino and is dishonest about it (half the time, the other half is people openly admitting they just don't like to see nazis portrayed negatively or blacks portrayed as Heroes)

>screenwriting
This is literally not even filmmaking
>oscar's
lol
>American cinema
With only a few exceptions, all trash
>has a Palm d'Or
Sometimes mistakes are made.

I've never liked Tarantino.

His only even slightly proficient work is Death Proof. There are a few bright spots in Pulp Fiction, but as a whole it's a hackjob.

I don't believe you, but that doesn't really matter, Cred Forums is made up of ultra hipsters with no social prospects whose opinions literally couldn't matter less

screenwriting is filmmaking. There would be no film without that screenplay.

>oscar's
way to fuck up grammar in a green text quote

>With only a few exceptions, all trash
which just shows how unreplicatable of a director he is

>Sometimes mistakes are made.
Only in the case of Xavier Dolan.

This movie filtered a lot of plebs on this board.
>wahh its boring
>where's the gore?
>barely even showed the witch!
It's a great period piece with horror elements, I loved how well it adapted the actual witch folklore of the time. The end and everything to do with satan/black phillip was fucking perfect.

wow

>disliking Margaret

are you a literal retard?

also, how is that at all tryhard? it's one of the most lauded movies of the last 10 years, it's not at all obscure

Please see this film. It is Ceaușescu-kino

it's shit and you should watch more movies

How do you even function?

I didn't even watch it and enjoyed triggering u plebs that liked it. I could tell it was wannabe kino for horror plebs and Im right

I wish I could be as cool, smart, and enlightened as you. Maybe someday.

love that film. RNW is the best. Can't wait to see Graduation. the girl is qt.

you could if you started watching good movies right now

of course you'd like that film, SATAN.

The argument isn't about whether the movie was good or if it benefited from the mechanic. I didn't even love it, but dismissing it as gimmicky is retarded because it was an interesting idea. Whether it worked or not is another thing

ITT completely overrated films, as is standard on Cred Forums

I really liked it so its kino

Screenwriting is tertiary at best, unimportant excess.

I don't know how americans spell oscar, it is a tremendously unimportnat trade show for masturbatory frauds

tarantino does not stand apart from the rest of the american trash directors.

there are so many other hacks that have won at cannes, not just dolan and tarantino

>I don't know how americans spell oscar

But that's a mediocre/bad film

>doesn't even name his own choices because he is that much of a contrarian

Again, why would I wnat to watch a bunch of drug addicted hack onanists publically pleasure themselves and give eachother little golden men?

this thread doesnt deserve it, theres maybe two good picks in the thread, fuck off

>thinking this board has taste

there are good and bad movies posted itt

t. embryo

Great movie.

But the thumbnail looks like Franklin from Arrested Development.

nice meme thats what this thread is now fuck off

thanks for the bump

MY MAN

>still doesn't name them

Absolute low quality bait. Name your picks and explain them or fuck off

New thread: