The Deer Hunter is objectively the best movie concerning the Vietnam War, if not one of the best war movies of all time

The Deer Hunter is objectively the best movie concerning the Vietnam War, if not one of the best war movies of all time

>The Deer Hunter is objectively the best movie concerning the Vietnam War, if not one of the best war movies of all time
Well, that's just your opinion.

DeNiro's acting is incredible, the rest is pretty great, but far from "best vietnam" tier. Not to mention little of the movie is actually in the Vietnam war, and the movie's pacing is a mess.

I like Bridge Over the River Kwai, because it establishes a hierarchy on which countries understand war best:

1. USA
2. Japan
3. UK

that's not platoon

desu the pacing at the beginning is awful, but once they get to Vietnam, and leave, the movie takes off. The reason that it is the best is how it shows people dealing with the horrors of war, and how it affects a town as a whole

>The reason that it is the best is how it shows people dealing with the horrors of war, and how it affects a town as a whole

The Deer Hunter is a great movie about PTSD in general, but the best movie about all aspects of war in general and Vietnam specifically? No.

the pacing is life 's true pace in the steel towns of the rust belt in 1963

but you're too young to know that

the movies is excellent because it speaks to those who went..and those who stayed

a true american tragedy

no

>watch the first half of Full Metal Jacket
>turn off
>put on Platoon
>ultimate Vietnam kino experience

whats better?

My autism will never let me do this.

Just tried to make a thread about this. Wasn't allowed to GIS. Wasn't allowed to make a new post.

Not going to disclose the topic because, really, fuck you, 1984 controllers. I know for a fact this isn't happenstance.

Just watch The Thin Red Line and pretend it's Vietnam. Much better experience

The Thin Red Line>=Apocalypse Now Redux>Platoon>=Full Metal Jacket>=Hamburger Hill

Apocalypse Now>Deer Hunter>Platoon>FMJ

I nearly teared up at the final Russian roulette scene

>the thin red line

Are you retarded?

Explain.

same. The end got me

Too bad Cimino's FUCKING DEAD

All Vietnam war films, indeed, all films in general are about the brutality and nonsense of war. The Thin Red Line is a war film in a grassy area. It counts.

not impressed. love the film though

all war* films in general fuck me.

>far from the best Vietnam movie

idk I know many vets IRL who would disagree completely, that it best encapsulated what it was to be a young red blooded American boy at that time, be shipped of to a war on the other side of the world and then come home, if they were lucky, with all their mental and physical baggage.

And that's the strong point of The Deer Hunter that virtually every other 'Nam movie misses out on. Their lives before, during and after the war and the things they've done, decisions they've made and now have to live with.

>And that's the strong point of The Deer Hunter that virtually every other 'Nam movie misses out on. Their lives before, during and after the war and the things they've done, decisions they've made and now have to live with.

Fuck I meant to say "this."

How do you feel about Born on the 4th of July?

Deals with similar themes

no worries...we can fill in the blanks

I was actually going to mention Born on the 4th of July but I'm a bit baked and moved on to a different line of thought. I think Born is another phenomenal "war" movie that looks into the total experience of what it is to be a soldier and all the associated baggage. Especially a red blooded American boy raised on the notion that war is noble and courageous.

I saw Born when I was still relatively young, I think maybe 5th or 6th grade, and being a young kid who liked to run around the woods with his friends shooting at each other with toy guns, and who thought war was cool, that movie stuck with little me for a very long time

and by "red blooded American boy" I mean young kids who grow up with naive images of patriotism of the red white and blue variety, like the boys who all thought they were going off to some great adventure prior to WWI and then go over and come back having lived through Hell on Earth.

This one would have been perfect if they cut out all the Homefront wives bullshit and replaced it with more Viet Cong/ The Island content.

so what? just because it's accurate, doesn't mean it's a great movie

Seriously one of my favorite movies ever. Something about 'Nam makes for a fun movie to watch I guess. I hated the wives reactions, it felt out of place, and made the movie a bit worse. The reason I like Deer Hunter better is because it focuses more on how PTSD isn't a personal problem, and challenging the idea of red blooded american boys going off to fight for their country. Both are fantastic though. If I had to rank the 'Nam movies in order it would be

Deer Hunter>We Were Soldiers>Born on the 4th of July>Apocolypse Now>Platoon>Full Metal Jacket>Good Morning Vietnam

I haven't seen any other 'Nam movies, so this might be incomplete

The combat in We Were Soldiers is amazing. So is that cast

>Opie cast as Sgt Savage who single handedly saves his ambushed platoon
>Don Draper cast as one of Gibson's Captains

no, it doesn't

Manlets At War: the movie

But the U.S. always loses

Jacob's Ladder

>And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow

I use to think it was good until De Niro spazzed out on Trump

Now it's shit

>Redux

No.

>watch Marine Corps boot camp
>turn off
>Suddenly watching Army

How come Marky Mark hasn't starred in a Vietnam warkino yet?

US Hasn't lost a war since Vietnam, you fucking traded-ass mongoloid, and even then we didn't actually lose it seeing as they violated a peace treaty after we left.

>Not to mention little of the movie is actually in the Vietnam war
That's the best part.

The movie's pacing is great IMO, it gives such a long time to get to know these characters, see them in their daily life doing menial things not just after the war, but before it.

It's downright one of the best films ever made.

>all films in general

Dracula Dead and Loving it is about the brutality and nonsense of war?

Gonna need you to explain how you're not a fuck-stupid dipshit that just went full retard here.

Gardens of Stone

See: You rude mcrude person.