"Anakin... I have the high ground!"

>"Anakin... I have the high ground!"

Can anyone please fucking tell me what he meant by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_ground
youtube.com/watch?v=bRV-C9qBaYA
youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_j3s5xj8I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a call back to episode 1 where he fucked Darth maul even when he had the low ground. Low or high ground kenobi will fuck you up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_ground

A few feet difference in elevation is irrelevant when both warriors can use their weapons as boomerangs, fly through the air, etc. I believe Obi-Wan really meant he has the moral high ground.

High ground is always advantageous in a duel or a battle

Less effort, less to guard, person or army lower than you has to try harder and wears them out faster to overcome

He had a tactical advantage, and he was morally more right.

Obi Wan used Form III, also known as Soresu, the Way of the Mynock, or the Resilience Form. A highly defensive lightsaber form. Having any way to maximize his defense, such as having higher ground makes him deadly.

Lucas was actually a genius.

>use their weapons as boomerang
If you mean they can throw it and then catch it on the way back, I don't think we actually see this in the movie.

There's two times lightsabers are thrown in the movies: Yoda does it once, and Vader does it once. When Yoda does it, he throws it at a dude and it gets stuck in the dude, and Yoda retrieves it.

youtube.com/watch?v=bRV-C9qBaYA (about ten seconds in)

When Vader does it, we don't see it come back to him, and he isn't holding it when Luke is falling from the platform. We do see him walk over to where it would have fallen, and then it cuts to him walking downstairs and he has it.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_j3s5xj8I (50 seconds or so in)

Now, of course, since they can telekinesis shit, there's no reason they can't pull it back, and it's done outside the movies (particularly games), but at the same time, if Anakin telekinesised his weapon at Kenobi, what's to prevent Kenobi from telekinesising it back? I mean, early on in the fight, they seem to be pretty matched telekinesis-wise.

>fly through the air
But Anakin tries this and gets cut down.

it's obviously better to fight from high to low than liw to high.
then he saw/sensed that anakin would try to flip over him, obviously a trick that obi-wan had taught him himself while telling anakin bout the time he killed darth maul. he tells him not to try it, cause nigga i know exactly what you're going to do you, i fucking showed you how that's done you dumb motherfucker.

Why dont they just telekenesis turn each others lightsaber off.

The Hie Ger'und is a Jedi saber technique that is most effective when an opponent is force jumping over a river of lava to get behind you to attack. It's a defensive technique Obi Wan learned during his attendance at the Chancellor Palpatine Jedi Training Academy.

Luke knew he had the technique ready but attacked anyway. He must have been desperate.

this cgi is so ugly

He implies that he is morally right, and that it will guarantee his victory.

Pretty much.

Or rip out their hearts. Or rip their brains in half. Don't even need to be near them to do it considering Vader Force chokes a dude on another starship.

>term meant for mass warfare used for single combat
Nice one George.

Is it possible to stand so close to lava and not even sweat.

That he was morally superior. I mean Anakin just killed a couple of children and chocked his wife.
Contrary to popular belief, the statement has nothing to do with physical high ground. You should note that Sheev asserted that the Jedi were morally imferior ("It's treason then") and then attacked them. Despite the Jedi having the physical high ground, they lost since they didn'thave the moral high ground.

Is it possible to jump around lava with laser swords like a frog on cocaine?

>all that autism
I'm so glad Disney nuked the EU.

Well when you're down there and you look up at someone who's above you, he looks like a big guy, for you.

Its more he knew Anakins next move. which was a move he designed and knew how to counter. it was the exact same move he used against Maul.
Its his way of saying "look i know your gunna jump over me like a cocky little shit who thinks he can use my own moves against me, but i'm gunna counter it because its MY move"

>clever lore is autism

>Luke
Thats just the frosting of the cake.

Good post I give you 10 meme points

Were these terms taken out of an anime? What a bunch of crap.

I'm glad these aren't canon anymore.

>EU
>clever

>It would be extremly hateful
>you have the high ground
>FOR YOU
>*jumps*

>clever

Those names are still canon user. You look it up for yourself. They are mentioned in 'Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know' which came out last year.

>YOU WERE MY BROTHER ANAKIN
>Luke calls Obi-Wan Uncle Ben
>Uncle is your father's brother

D E E P E S T
L O R E

>Uncle is your father's brother

Since when?

Since my father isn't black.

B-B-B-BRECKFAST BRECK-BRECK-BRECK-BRECK-BRECK.FAST!

It's never your mothers brother, right?

Bump

The high ground is a famous tactic, first portrayed in Sun Tzu's the Art of War. It's practiced in most modern military forces and is one of the first combat techniques taught to CIA agent. It requires the use of an elevated footing, either through positioning yourself at a higher altitude (through immense martial art training, restricted eldritch artifacts, or entering a plane) to impose the impression of a massive difference in size in your opponent's mind. The vivid image of the agent, multiplied by the bigness factor created through the elevation, would destroy the sensory capabilities of anyone unfortunate enough to witness it directly. In extreme cases it would also overload their brains, causing their veins to heat up and burst into flame.

The only way to overcome this technique is to protect your face, such as by wearing a mask. Anakin didn't have one until after he became Vader, and thus stood no chance against the high ground.

ETTR

Eu states that Jedi are trained in creating force shields around them which presumably prevent those things from happening

Does the EU also explain why pilots aren't wearing something like this?

because their spaceships have air and a/c and heating.

Except when they blow up.

How about one of these then?

Seems like the militaries in SW don't really give a shit about crew survival.

>ChanPal SuRecon Center
EU was amazing

>presented as wise old master who worries about the fates of his students
>slaughters troopers in horrific ways
What did he mean by this?

it's a play on words, he has the high ground both literally and morally

Would you really rather be floating out in the vastness of space than have a quick death?

The larger ships have escape pods.

POTTTERRY

Eu autist here. I always thought it wa tutaminis

>CIA agents learn it

Do you think CIA was trying to use the airplane to impart himself higher ground over the mosquito friends?

>floating out in the vastness of space
>it's not like there are other ships around to CSAR all the pilots
Ok kid. Or Star Wars was just always dumb with pilot survivability.

>this is the last time they spoke
>Ben is on the ground
>Anakin is burning in lava