What happened to clip show episodes?

What happened to clip show episodes?
Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad no one does them anymore, I'm just curious as to when and why studios finally realized nobody likes them and stopped.

because with streaming, downloading, digital cable, etc it's more noticeable. Networks did to save money, obviously, and got away with it because in the days of analog no one binge-watched shit like they do now.

Hell, in the 90's you'd be hard-pressed to find Home Video releases of entire seasons, partly because of the limitations of the VHS format and also because studios assumed no one wanted them. Television wasn't taken as seriously, just as movies were once upon a time (as evidenced by films studios just throwing out footage assuming no one would care in a hundred years)

when the entire world groaned at once during the seinfeld finale.

They tried it with an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation. It tanked, they knew not to try that again. Other studios paid attention and learned their lesson.

Clip shows were never for the audience. They were a way to crank out an inexpensive episode in a short amount of time. I don't know what could have changed in the past 10-20 years to safeguard shows from having to do clip shows.

LotS did one. It was okay. More to get the new viewers up to date for the finale than to cut budget.

Thats such a funny picture OP, those pokes fuckin kill me.

Probably because clip shows always sucked and the stupid book ends filmed to fill them out weren't worth the effort.

To this day I'm still blown away that the finally of the most popular TV show if it's time was 50% a clip show.

The idea of it sounds impossible even.

>partly because of the limitations of the VHS format

No, the VHS format was no restriction to releasing entire seasons. How old are you?

>Television wasn't taken as seriously,

Yes, it was taken as seriously as it is now. How old are you?

Well, one big limitation is the fact that a VHS cassette cost a shit ton more to manufacture and ship (due to size, not so much weight) then dvd ever did in it's prime.
Along with the fact that 4 hour mode VHS tapes were kinda shit in quality, it only ever really looked decent on 2 hour tapes.

>How old are you?

>No, the VHS format was no restriction to releasing entire seasons. How old are you?
Do you have any idea how many tapes it takes for 22 episodes? "Best of" compilations were far more common back then.

>Yes, it was taken as seriously as it is now.
No, it really wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the way television used to be, when it was more about fun escapism and less "we high art now this is serious business" shit that HBO made popular. TV has become increasingly more "cinematic" over the last 15 years

How old are YOU, faggot?

I never said it was for the audience.They don't do clipshows anymore because people would notice and complain, thanks internet

Fair enough. Procedurals and serialized dramas have an excuse for them. Sitcoms use them solely as a cop out.

Why do TV shows have to be "fun"? I read this complaint a lot now.

I know they released, at the least, entire seasons of TNG and The X-Files. I'm 31, I was there, it happened.

Yes, television was taken as seriously by its fans. I didn't think you meant 'television was promoted as a middlebrow cinema alternative'.

>increasingly more

Fuck's sake, this is awful grammar.

Different strokes, but I watch movies and TV shows to be entertained not to better myself or to be made to think. Artistry is nice but it should only be there to supplement the entertainment value.

I know some might consider this a "pleb opinion" but I'm just being honest. If I want something high-brow I'll read literature or go to a museum

Because television can only ever be pop art, and pop art that fails to be fun has nothing going on.

>I know they released, at the least, entire seasons of TNG and The X-Files. I'm 31, I was there, it happened.
I didn't say it never happened, only that it was uncommon.

>Yes, television was taken as seriously by its fans. I didn't think you meant 'television was promoted as a middlebrow cinema alternative'.
What I meant was 'it wasn't taken as seriously by the people who produced it.' Why the fuck you do think I included the bit about film studios throwing away footage?

>Fuck's sake, this is awful grammar.
It's called 'not bothering to proofread a post.' Sorry it triggered you professor

Agree on TV, not on movies. Cinema is an artform, and it can contain all kinds of fun, including challenging fun. TV is purely for entertainment.

I don't think he didn't say that it didn't happen, but that it was rare. I'm a few years younger, at 28, and DVDs were certainly already becoming common by the time I was about 13 or 14, but I remember not only that the majority of the TV shows at Walmart were usually on one or two tapes with only a few "featured episodes". While there definitely were some shows released in full on VHS, I think they were typically the exception, rather than the rule.
I definitely knew some people (mostly friends' parents) who taped and kept every episode of certain shows, General Hospital and Coronation Street come to mind. (My friend's mom has boxes and boxes of Coronation Street tapes in her attic now, it's bonkers just how many tapes she has).

it's 15% clip show at most

>TNG and The X-Files
Sure, but these two are A-List shows, equivalent to something like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.

But something equivalent to Community or Legends of Tomorrow? Doubtful!

The point is, the VHS format didn't restrict it from happening, which is what you said.

The people who produce it take no more seriously now than they did then, they just sell it more pretentiously. I thought you included it because that indicates their assumption of lasting interest in the audience.

I forgive you, but a little care goes a long way.

which is why we get bottle shows instead.
episodes that use pre-existing sets and are more mostly dialogue.

mostly for the better but I guess there are some clever thing you could do with a clip show.

I always thought it might be a good for Doctor who to to a clip episode, to connect its current form with the classic era.

I was taking issue with the claim that VHS made it impossible when it didn't. That's all I said, if you look back. I didn't claim that shows routinely came out in complete runs.

>I always thought it might be a good for Doctor who to to a clip episode, to connect its current form with the classic era.

They put in clips sometimes. I dislike it, as it associates the flaming tire covered in dog shit that is nuWho with the crap but smart and endearing original.

so they did with the davros story.

Well, nobody ever claimed that it made it impossible to release whole seasons, only that it was uncommon to release whole seasons.

I think movies should be a mix of both. I can appreciate beautifully made films, but if it isn't fun as well, then that appreciation is merely a neutral acknowledgement of the movie's merits and nothing more. Watching "artsy" films is like doing homework, you can respect it and you know it has worth but it's still fucking homework.

Yes, but that was more because of lack of demand than because of technology. The 'box sets' of a lot of shows are really performing the function of reruns. People rewatched shit on a casual basis all the time, but they had to wait for it to be on. These things aren't aimed at the people who would traditionally want box sets.

It did restrict it, as in the studios knew that doing VHS releases was costly, the sets themselves would be bulky, and likely didn't think it was profitable because only serious collectors would shell out the cash for them. If memory serves, those sets were not exactly affordable

Another major reason is that networks wanted people to watch their re-runs, and considered ratings more important than home video sales which at least as far as TV shows went, was still rather niche.

>The people who produce it take no more seriously now than they did then, they just sell it more pretentiously.
fair enough

>I forgive you, but a little care goes a long way.
I'm impulsive and tend to post before I think, in retrospect I should have been clearer.

It seems like people's lack of interest in owning them is more crucial there than anything to do with the technology itself.

We cool.

I don't see why the two have to be separate. Who says you can't escape into a world of fantasy if it's intelligent and well-thought-out?

Legend of Korra did one only 2 years ago, such bullshit

Which is why I said I like artistry, but that it should serve the purpose of entertaining. Nothing annoys me more than the look-how-smart-I-am bullshit that film snobs eat up, that stuff is worse than even the dumbest lowest-common-denominator popcorn flicks

Just theorizing.

It was a cheap way to crank out more episodes because I think there was a higher number required to fill out a season. If you'll notice, a season has a lot less episodes now than older shows.