What's the obsession with zombies and zombie apocalypse these days? They seem to be everywhere in media - tv shows...

What's the obsession with zombies and zombie apocalypse these days? They seem to be everywhere in media - tv shows, movies, video games. wtf is happening family? why?

>these days
This has been going on since like 2009.

user, you literally posted the reason.

The walking dead was made, it was profitable, and therefore shit tons of zombie-themed stuff was made to profit off its success

but twd is mediocre. i mean it's watchable, but ultimately dumb mediocre fun. i get annoyed while watching it but i still watch it 'cause there's not much else to watch. same old breaking bad cliffhanger ride.

in fact most of these zombie shows, movies, etc are mediocre

liking zombies comes with being le quirky geek wow im so random xD

You can blame TWD and Call of Duty for the zombie craze of the past 6 years or so

Irrelevant if it did well financially

Edgy people need a fantasy to escape
From their horrible and repetitive jobs

>Resident Evil
>half-life
>millions of zombie movies

Shit has been around for a while. My guess is that daily experiences of high population density make us all fear the reaper coming to harvest the dense high standing grains. Zombie movies allow;
-ruthless killing of dehumanized others to stave off the reaper;
-vicarious feelings of superiority (surviving);
-direct feelings of superiority (you'd do a better job)
-cheap scares and action
-tabula rasa; anything goes

>tfw TWD killed off literally the only interesting character it had in S2
So fucking lame. This guy should have been the star of the show tbqh.

Nah Merle was easily the best character the show has had. Shame they brought him back just for season 3.

TWD was trash turning into putrid waste. I never made it past the little house on the prairie. As far as I remember that guy was a moron. Come to think about it, he was perfect for the job since stupidity was the unifying force is post-apocalyptic US.

>boring one dimensional muh master race meme character
lol ok Cred Forumscuck. figured you guys wouldn't like a character as generic as that. figured you'd dismiss him as le evil white man meme but i guess not

Probably because 90% of the people in 1st world countries want an "apocalypse"/"zombie" scenario so they can live out their fantasies and leave their daily routine(s) behind

>i-if there was a zombie apocalypse, I wouldn't have to come to work and get yelled at by my stupid fucking supervisor for sales numbers
>once the apocalypse comes I'll just kill niggers instead of taking sass from them
>m-maybe once the zombie apocalypse happens then I can talk to that qt girl across the street and she'll be my apocalypsefu because I'll have plate carriers and dehydrated food and a crate full of WASRs

prove me wrong

>these days
You have to be 18 to post on Cred Forums

>projecting this hard

>prove me wrong

pls respond.

It's the perfect climate in America for post apocalyptic tv and film.

People in America are as overworked and underpaid as they've ever been while the people they're working for have salaries that keep rising. It's a fight to even get basic healthcare even though the insurance industry is as profitable as ever. People are fed up with the structure of society and like to get lost in a world where everything falls apart and brings everyone down to the same basic level.

Just go on reddit and read about how most people allegdly WOULDNT do real villianous shit. Normies don't want the apocolypse to happen. At least they pretend they don;t so they can get upvotes over how good they are as human beings. "DUDE IT WOULD BE SO SAD SEEING 99% OF ASSHOLES I DONT CARE FOR EITHER WAY DYING OFF ;_;" Yeah right

Except he unironically had the best and only character development in season three. If it was just season one Merle I would agree.

The idea of a zombie apocalypse is just a nightmare to me. Ever since I was a kid and first learned about zombies eating your brains. Turning all the people you care about into mindless cannibals. That shit freaks me out. I can't understand people who want that to actually happen.

Political climate, post 9/11 fear

people are giving you shit but you're mostly right

this too

not really, my fantasy is owning a ranch out in New Mexico in an adobe house where my doggos can run free and I can sell what I grow/harvest/brew at farmers markets

cant have that in the wasteland, stalker.

i've also read/seen the theory that "zombie apocalypse" is codeword for "race war/nigger uprising", and some consumers of zombie-themed media just swap out the zombies for nonwhites/nigs in their own heads. As in

>zombie attack = nig chimpout

I don't have friends: the post.

Your thread is about 2 years too late. The zombie craze has been over for a while now.

>I don't enjoy watching shit attack shit in riots
You're so genuine.

I think you might be a major sociopath user lol

The Walking Dead is the only reason the zombie genre isn't a complete joke. I don't get the hate and I watched the Living Dead trilogy on VHS like the rest of you who aren't retarded.

No, he's just a product of his generation and it's media/culture. Some people will get triggered by this but there is something about seeing all kinds of "dramatized"/simulated gore in movies and TV shows that desensitizes you to it when you see gore IRL. I'm not implying watching TWD or Saving Private Ryan will turn one into a killer or desensitize you to massive amounts of people being killed in front of you (like in war), but one probably doesn't react as squeamishly

>I don't get the hate
>the only reason the zombie genre isn't a joke

>What is jungian psychology
>What is collective unconscious feedback loop

It's because this trope reflects our times perfectly

how so?

are we in fucking 2007?

>my fantasy is owning a ranch out in New Mexico in an adobe house where my doggos can run free and I can sell what I grow/harvest/brew at farmers markets

Are you me?

I want a zombie apocalypse to happen because we are desperately overdue for an extinction event or a massive blow to our population.

Don't be a faggot and congratulate stacy on fb for having another unplanned pregnancy, scold her and tell her we don't need another parasite on our planet.

At the rate people are having kids today, in a few more decades we'll be living like TWD, except without the zombies. How depressing is that?

think about it

hey thats me

It's almost like people in the modern era have latent fears about society breaking down, social collapse and their neighbors turning on them in a chaotic and lethal revolution.

Kind of like how aliens infiltrating our society and covertly walking among us was big during the Cold War.

It's almost like speculative fiction reflects the society that created it.

I'm more interested in the rebuilding of society ala Stephen King's The Stand. Bands of survivors coming together in Colorado or some other secure locale with power, arable land, etc. and striving to maintain civilization.

I do admit that not dealing with the rat race is escapist, but not at the cost of being on the run form hostile humans as well as worry about starving to death.

I want a zombie story where the characters actually use some common sense and just build a damn tree fort.

with spikes

gotta have spikes

Hence why those Purge movies popped up around the same time that TWD was gaining momentum. They both deal with the utter breakdown of law and civility though Purge is only for 1 night.

Honestly, as much as people would like to deny it, if we had a worldwide epidemic like a virus that kills off 99% of the populace, we'd be seeing some truly heinous shit. The Black Death in Europe had reports of people not giving a fuck anymore and indulging in sex and other kinds of depravity.

Say you're one of the lucky few that's immune from whatever plague that's out there. You have an axe to grind against someone, what's to stop you from killing them and having them join the billions of unfortunate casualties? Nobody will know you did it cuz society has broken down. I doubt there's any surviving cops or military to keep order when they're too busy about their own lives and families.

TWD touched on various people getting murdered. Remember that country club that Daryl and Beth ran across? All those members got murdered by vengeful people. The same for those poor saps that the Governor and Martinez's new group came across in that cabin. In fact, I'm way more interested in the backstories of the Walkers that died horrific deaths and the remains of murder victims because you wonder what lead up to it.

>why?
because hipsters a while back figured that post apocalyse and zombies are DA SHIT and so lulz mehehehehe god i hate them so much.

there is no good zombie movie/series to date and the idea is also pretty retarded.

People like creepy stuff and apocalypse scenarios.

I know.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a zombie story set in Australia. That shit writes itself. We can see Mad Max-esque landscape with sheep ranchers, motorcycle gangs, and other survivors battling in the outback. Australia has low population density and a massive island-continent so it's bound to have more survivors per capita than any other nation.

na zombies peaked in 2010 no one cares about them now

You forgot one simple fact: Australia has a wildlife population deadlier than even the most aggressive zombie pathogen.

Because it panders to the fears of liberal elitists that are the current dominant culture- literally brainless masses chasing after groups of beautiful people with quips

That's what makes it even better. Hostile terrain and fauna combined with the collapse of civilization and zombies would make this a great locale for a story.

I am legitimately surprised we haven't dealt with a zombie storyline that deals with white supremacists taking advantage in "cleansing" the nation of non-whites. We barely see any bigots in TWD despite the fact that a lot of people are far more vicious than they let on. The fact that society collapsed means the masks are off.

>"M8 we finally got away from zombie infested Sydney and the abos have enough petrol to keep em at bay but oops I got bit by a deadly spider xdd"
There would probably be some white-only or black-only compounds but not in a large scale sense.

we are already zombies

If you could incorporate trained cassowaries into the movie it'd be good

>we are already zombies
s-so deep, s-senpar

wow dude your taste is so refined

Brainless people like shows that they can relate to